PDA

View Full Version : Since the last Newman thread got hijacked. Report Malik Newman news here.

Rayburn8
04-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Please let's try not to hijack this one.

msstate7
04-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Who do you think would win between Kentucky and '90 unlv?****

Raytoraid83
04-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Howland vs Calapari with lsu in third. Hopefully Malik's desire to play pg will give us the edge. Playing in the mcdonalds all American game tonight at 8 on espn if anyone wants to get a preview of his talent.

msstate7
04-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Howland vs Calapari with lsu in third. Hopefully Malik's desire to play pg will give us the edge. Playing in the mcdonalds all American game tonight at 8 on espn if anyone wants to get a preview of his talent.

If true, I like our chances with Kentucky already having the #1 pg and the harrisons projected 2nd round. Surprising though bc I thought lsu was the team to beat

messageboardsuperhero
04-01-2015, 06:34 PM
If true, I like our chances with Kentucky already having the #1 pg and the harrisons projected 2nd round. Surprising though bc I thought lsu was the team to beat

Nobody is the team to beat right now. Just because some 247 writer changed his prediction on Newman for the 7th time doesn't mean they are the team to beat- it's just the flavor of the week. Nobody knows where he is going to sign. IMO, it'll come down to us, LSU, and Kentucky.

msstate7
04-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Nobody is the team to beat right now. Just because some 247 writer changed his prediction on Newman for the 7th time doesn't mean they are the team to beat- it's just the flavor of the week. Nobody knows where he is going to sign. IMO, it'll come down to us, LSU, and Kentucky.

I was basing my opinion on Malik's quotes. If I was basing it on CB's, I'd feel much better about our chances since we're trending.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/03/high-profile_recruit_malik_new.html

msstate7
04-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Malik has an assist. Really sloppy game which I guess should be expected since its HS

Barkman Turner Overdrive
04-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Please let's try not to hijack this one.

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Malik pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.**

whosyourdawgy
04-01-2015, 08:32 PM
He actually should have 2 maybe even 3 assists which doesn't happen much in the Mickey D all star game. He is pressing too much to score though. But like i said if you don't take your own shots or get a rebound and put back you don't score much in this game

msstate7
04-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Will Ben howland affect your decision? No, not at all

What do you make of that?

whosyourdawgy
04-01-2015, 08:44 PM
absolutely nothing. Malik has been tight lipped the entire time. He isn't gonna say anything

whosyourdawgy
04-01-2015, 08:48 PM
I can see why Malik would like to play with Diamond Stone. Dude is a beast

I seen it dawg
04-01-2015, 08:52 PM
Newman to State.

messageboardsuperhero
04-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Newman to State.

Ha, this never gets old. Keep it up.

smootness
04-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Howland vs Calapari with lsu in third.

I disagree. I think it's mostly us and LSU, and if I had to guess, I'd say LSU holds a slight lead at this point.

My guess:
LSU - 45%
State - 40%
Kentucky - 15%

msstate7
04-01-2015, 08:57 PM
I can see why Malik would like to play with Diamond Stone. Dude is a beast

Hate to say it but I can see wanting to play with Simmons. That dude is skilled for 6'9"

smootness
04-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Hate to say it but I can see wanting to play with Simmons. That dude is skilled for 6'9"

Simmons is 6'7". He's a SF.

DudyDawg
04-01-2015, 09:02 PM

Uhhh no he isn't

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/166633/ben-simmons

msstate7
Then he sucks! Haha... Thought they said 6'9". Either way, his passing is terrific

whosyourdawgy
Yup. Go play with the number 1 player in the country and be his sidekick. Nah.

smootness
04-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Uhhh no he isn't

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/166633/ben-simmons

Hmm, don't know why I thought I had seen him at 6'7". Other places list him at 6'8", which is probably more accurate. Either way, he's a SF for sure, not a PF. But yes, he's insanely talented.

smootness
04-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Yup. Go play with the number 1 player in the country and be his sidekick. Nah.

Ha, I guarantee you Newman doesn't think he's anybody's sidekick, no matter who they are. It was only a few months ago that every service had Newman #1 overall. They're both uber-talented, and Newman is more likely to be the top scorer in college.

chef dixon
04-01-2015, 09:14 PM
Brunson kid is an excellent PG. That Zimmerman dude is gonna be hell to handle at his size and athleticism too.

chef dixon
04-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Ha, I guarantee you Newman doesn't think he's anybody's sidekick, no matter who they are. It was only a few months ago that every service had Newman #1 overall. They're both uber-talented, and Newman is more likely to be the top scorer in college.

I expect Malik to average in the 15-17pt range next year if he played for us. Maybe 11-13 or so if at UK or LSU. Its so difficult to do much more than that in the college game.

msstate7
04-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Brunson kid is an excellent PG. That Zimmerman dude is gonna be hell to handle at his size and athleticism too.

Really like Bragg (Kansas) too

whosyourdawgy
04-01-2015, 09:17 PM

I really Shoulda put **** on my post. I said that in jest Malik is gonna wait Til after all the players declare for the draft and see who else signs where then make his best choice. Which is why we need to get a big man!!!

Harrydawg
04-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Malik's short list as he told our coaches last week: MSU, LSU, NC State, UM......he is not going to KY.

I also don't think he'll play far from home (NC State).....it's really an LSU, MSU race......

msstate7
04-01-2015, 09:20 PM
I really Shoulda put **** on my post. I said that in jest Malik is gonna wait Til after all the players declare for the draft and see who else signs where then make his best choice. Which is why we need to get a big man!!!

I hope we're not in a situation where Malik doesn't wanna commit unless kasongo commits and kasongo doesn't wanna commit unless Malik commits. Not wording my thought well, but I think you know what I mean

DudyDawg
04-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Hmm, don't know why I thought I had seen him at 6'7". Other places list him at 6'8", which is probably more accurate. Either way, he's a SF for sure, not a PF. But yes, he's insanely talented.

I agree that he's not a true PF. But he's built a lot like Anthony Davis. Not quite as tall, but really long and lean with guard skills and instincts. I've watched him a few times and he doesn't have much of a set position. He just kinda plays. He's really impressing. If he has/adds a jumper to 20 feet he can be a star in the NBA. Not looking forward to playing him next year. Hope we have Malik and Kasongo to do it

msstate7
04-01-2015, 09:32 PM
Diallo is a bad man

maroonmania
04-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Just turned it on. Which side is Newman on and what number?

chef dixon
04-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Just turned it on. Which side is Newman on and what number?

White, 14

DudyDawg
04-01-2015, 09:35 PM
When it started they said the west won a scrimmage yesterday by 30. Surprised they're losing so far. Been pretty entertaining so far. Jalen Rose and Jay Williams are pretty entertaining together

Dallas_Dawg
04-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Diallo is a bad man

He sure as hell is. He posted up for an and 1 down low and a minute later was putting it on the floor and looking like a huge point guard.
Where's he going ?

msstate7
04-01-2015, 10:01 PM
He sure as hell is. He posted up for an and 1 down low and a minute later was putting it on the floor and looking like a huge point guard.
Where's he going ?

OM...thank God that's a lie. He's undecided with ISU, Kansas, Kentucky, and St. John's in the mix

Reunion Dog
04-01-2015, 10:12 PM
LSU is main threat. Liked I have posted before... I have seen Johnny Jones and Wayne Sims SEVERAL times @ Ruth's Chris in Ridgeland. Jones learned from Dale Brown how to recruit... so they will be there to the end.

fishwater99
04-01-2015, 10:35 PM
I expect Malik to average in the 15-17pt range next year if he played for us. Maybe 11-13 or so if at UK or LSU. Its so difficult to do much more than that in the college game.

If we get Malik, he'll need to avg close to 20.
He's quick enough to do it.

CadaverDawg
04-01-2015, 10:37 PM
I was told It's us vs Kentucky.

If he wants to go play with a bunch of other great players, he will go to UK. If he wants to be the guy, and stay close to home, he will choose MSU over LSU. I think LSU still has a puncher's chance, but I was told that our staff feels it will come down to us or UK in the end. LSU doesn't have near the chance of winning a Title as UK, and LSU isn't considered the "close to home" choice like we are especially with his Dad's legacy at MSU. I just don't think LSU is as in it as people think. Also, if what I was told today is true, our coaches don't either.

Do you want to be the guy, and basically get as much PT and as many shots as you want? Or do you want to play on a loaded team with the best shot at a title, but have less PT, more competition, and less freedom to do your thing?

Ultimately, I think Newman will want to stay close to home and be the guy at his dad's old school. He can be the reason MSU turned it around. Hope so anyway.

Madisonmd
04-02-2015, 04:46 AM
Wish Bender had played as bad as Malik in McD game. Could have been different story. Malik did not look like a one and done last night.

shoeless joe
04-02-2015, 06:22 AM
Wish Bender had played as bad as Malik in McD game. Could have been different story. Malik did not look like a one and done last night.

I've only seen him play one time in person and he didn't strike me as a #1 in the country type player. Extremely talented but not a total game changer on the college level. Of course, I'm not a basketball guy and this was just one game so take it for whatever it's worth.

Maroons
04-02-2015, 09:05 AM

He's projected as a lottery pick in '16 on nbadraft.net.

smootness
04-02-2015, 12:00 PM
He's a one-and-done as long as his stock doesn't plummet to unbelievable depths. Staying for a second year isn't even in his realm of possibilities right now.

Dawg61
04-02-2015, 12:11 PM

The flow of the game wasn't helping Malik stand out and he wasn't forcing it either. Looked to me like he was fine with other players taking the glory. Monta Ellis didn't do anything in his McD AA game either. These All-Star games are a joke. They are just glorified dunk contests.

fishwater99
04-02-2015, 02:39 PM
The flow of the game wasn't helping Malik stand out and he wasn't forcing it either. Looked to me like he was fine with other players taking the glory. Monta Ellis didn't do anything in his McD AA game either. These All-Star games are a joke. They are just glorified dunk contests.

I agree, and Mailk has 2 more of these games in April.

chef dixon
04-02-2015, 02:43 PM
If you've watched Malik before, you know he likes to pull up from NBA range as soon as he brings the ball down the court. He does this quite often to be honest. I wonder which college coaches are going to allow him to play like that. You rarely see anything like it in the college game. If he's staying 1 year you don't have much time to change his game.

smootness
04-02-2015, 02:50 PM
If you've watched Malik before, you know he likes to pull up from NBA range as soon as he brings the ball down the court. He does this quite often to be honest. I wonder which college coaches are going to allow him to play like that. You rarely see anything like it in the college game. If he's staying 1 year you don't have much time to change his game.

That doesn't mean he's going to do that at the next level.

He does it in HS because he knows every single time down the floor that he's easily the team's best option on offense, and in most cases it doesn't matter what kind of shot he takes; him taking a bad shot is still better than his teammates taking a good one most of the time.

That's much less true in college. I mean, if I'm playing basketball with a bunch of middle schoolers who can't really play, I'm probably going to be jacking up shots. If I'm playing a serious pickup game with guys who have played in college, I'm just going to get rebounds and take the occasional open shot.

There's not a single coach in the country who is going to allow someone to consistently come down and jack up long-range shots early in the shot clock. And Newman isn't going to do that in college.

ETA: I love what Kobe says when people ask him about his shot selection and taking the last shot. He says that people call that selfish when sometimes it's anything but. If your team isn't very good offensively, and you are easily the best option, sometimes you put yourself on the line to get criticism or get the heat if it doesn't work because you know it's still your team's best route.

chef dixon
04-02-2015, 03:01 PM
That doesn't mean he's going to do that at the next level.

He does it in HS because he knows every single time down the floor that he's easily the team's best option on offense, and in most cases it doesn't matter what kind of shot he takes; him taking a bad shot is still better than his teammates taking a good one most of the time.

That's much less true in college. I mean, if I'm playing basketball with a bunch of middle schoolers who can't really play, I'm probably going to be jacking up shots. If I'm playing a serious pickup game with guys who have played in college, I'm just going to get rebounds and take the occasional open shot.

There's not a single coach in the country who is going to allow someone to consistently come down and jack up long-range shots early in the shot clock. And Newman isn't going to do that in college.

ETA: I love what Kobe says when people ask him about his shot selection and taking the last shot. He says that people call that selfish when sometimes it's anything but. If your team isn't very good offensively, and you are easily the best option, sometimes you put yourself on the line to get criticism or get the heat if it doesn't work because you know it's still your team's best route.

I think its fair to wonder about how he will adapt to it though. I mean that's how he's played his whole life and no one has ever made him do anything different. And if he comes to MSU, he's may very well feel like he's playing with a bunch of middle schoolers. That's going to be his mindset coming in because he knows if he comes to MSU he will be THE guy.

smootness
04-02-2015, 03:19 PM
He's played HS ball, but he's also played AAU and on the camp circuit with the top players in the country. He won't have a problem adapting to various situations. He knows what he needs to do to get himself prepared for the next level.

And honestly, if he's at State next year, I want him to have the mindset that he needs to initiate the offense and take a lot of shots. Our offense was garbage this year, we need someone supremely talented to take over.

Coach34
04-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Malik is not a definite 1 and done

Wanting to be is one thing- doing is another. Questions get answered during SEC play when you get athletes D'ing you up.

Coach34
04-02-2015, 03:26 PM
I do think he and Sword together could be a really good tandem tho

msstate7
04-02-2015, 03:28 PM
I do think he and Sword together could be a really good tandem tho

Very good. I love the thought of them pushing the ball up court along with Houston

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2015, 03:29 PM
No doubt he'll be a 1 & done guy if he doesnt get injured.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Malik will have no problems fitting in with the offense & system we run. Any questions about that just watch him playing with Team USA In the FIBA championships. He plays well within the system & still led the team in scoring while shooting a high fg%.

https://youtu.be/87rZZanlA7A

smootness
04-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Malik is not a definite 1 and done

Wanting to be is one thing- doing is another. Questions get answered during SEC play when you get athletes D'ing you up.

He'll be at worst an early second-round pick, and that's only if he implodes. And once your stock drops like that, it's rarely coming back.

So if he wants to be one and done, he will be.