PDA

View Full Version : Supposedly there will be 4 new bowls added this year.

CadaverDawg
04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
That would mean 84 of 120 teams make a bowl game. Ridiculous.

No longer is "making a bowl game" a good measuring stick for coaches it appears

msstate7
04-01-2015, 04:52 PM
They need to have a lesser set of bowls for the teams with losing records. We can name them...

Dirt cheap bowl
Winner's choice bowl
Great value bowl
Can't believe it's not butter bowl
Etc****

Dawgface
04-01-2015, 05:00 PM
That is crazy. Should be no more than 64 teams making bowls.

BulldogBear
04-01-2015, 05:48 PM
I have always absolutley LOVED the bowls. Even I think there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many. Eventually, they're gonna end up with not enough schools at 6-6. What then? A loophole? Then why not just have 17ing enough for everyone to go?***

Bothrops
04-01-2015, 05:52 PM
Stupid if true. On the flip side Jackson better be one of the host towns. Looking at you Jacktown..

starkvegasdawg
04-01-2015, 06:09 PM
They need to have a lesser set of bowls for the teams with losing records. We can name them...

Dirt cheap bowl
Winner's choice bowl
Great value bowl
Can't believe it's not butter bowl
Etc****

2000 Flushes Tidy Bowl.

Dawgcentral
04-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Heard this discussion from Dick and Wyatt. If you want more games, play them before the season when we're hungry for football. I agree with Wyatt when he says he doesn't want to see Toledo play Directional Nevada in December. Especially with a near empty stadium watching.

By December I want to see our team and playoff teams.

Bothrops
04-01-2015, 06:35 PM
I guarantee you Little Rock is one of the towns to be added. I don't like this idea to begin with, but if Jackson misses on this, MS will be the only state in the southeast not hosting a bowl.

AROB44
04-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Leonard's Loser Bowl

thf24
04-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Maybe it's in anticipation of adding another playoff round? That would necessitate four more bowls in order to keep the same number of postseason slots.

Quaoarsking
04-01-2015, 07:05 PM
If Arkansas can have a bowl, and Alabama can have 3 bowls, and Louisiana can have 3 bowls, then Mississippi should have one...

Schultzy
04-01-2015, 07:10 PM
I like it because it will encourage better regular season non conference games.

Everybody needs a bowl game for the extra practice time.

Dawgcentral
04-01-2015, 07:22 PM
30,000 folks show up at Memorial Stadium in Jackson and it will be a traffic control nightmare. Anyone remember the last Saints exhibition game? They had two gates open and some people never got into the stadium until the 3rd quarter. Who's going to watch your vehicle?

Is there anyone who lives in the area of Jackson who doesn't know a crime victim?

TUSK
04-01-2015, 08:12 PM
That would mean 84 of 120 teams make a bowl game. Ridiculous.

No longer is "making a bowl game" a good measuring stick for coaches it appears

I remember when the number of bowls went to 16... I thought it was too many then... I liked the days when you pretty much had to have 9 wins and be ranked to get in a bowl...

Howboutdemdogs
04-01-2015, 08:46 PM
The Participation Bowl, where everyone gets a Trophey, and the score doesn't matter.

Bothrops
04-01-2015, 09:03 PM
30,000 folks show up at Memorial Stadium in Jackson and it will be a traffic control nightmare. Anyone remember the last Saints exhibition game? They had two gates open and some people never got into the stadium until the 3rd quarter. Who's going to watch your vehicle?

Is there anyone who lives in the area of Jackson who doesn't know a crime victim?

MS doesn't need to be left out and Jackson can't afford to be left out. Especially since Montgomery and Mobile of all places are doing this, Jackson should also, and has a much bigger stadium. It's not so much about trying to make Jackson look good, as it is MS getting it's fair share of money and pub.

Personally, I'm sick and damn tired of other states around MS getting everything! If Montgomery did this, then Jackson certainly can.

Mutt the Hoople
04-01-2015, 09:53 PM
Stupid if true. On the flip side Jackson better be one of the host towns. Looking at you Jacktown..

Mississippi can't hold a bowl. Remember the flag-thingy?
http://www.liberty-ca.org/images/states/flag/flagMississippi.gif

Quaoarsking
04-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Mississippi can't hold a bowl. Remember the flag-thingy?

That would almost certainly be dropped if anyone in Mississippi were seriously trying to hold one.

Todd4State
04-01-2015, 10:33 PM

I guarantee you it's safer than where Legion Field is. And they have a bowl with a SEC tie in.

Dawgcentral
04-02-2015, 06:41 PM
I guarantee you it's safer than where Legion Field is. And they have a bowl with a SEC tie in.

Maybe.

I'm not familiar with the circumstances involving crime in Birmingham. But my experiences, as well as the victimization of my friends and family in Jackson have been a nightmare.

I've been robbed at gun point.

My father's last night at St. Dominics was highlighted by his car being stolen underneath
a security camera and a light post in the parking lot. When I tried to show the JPD the
broken drivers side glass on the ground, he still continued to question me as though the
vehicle might have been repoed. He never got out of his vehicle.

My wife's co-worker was abducted, and threatened with rape until she jumped out of a moving vehicle, shattering her ankle and lower leg.

Vehicles are stolen and pilfered at the impound lot in Jackson.

The JPD had two of their own arrested last week for stealing multiple trailers at a dealership.

A local homebuilder I work for had his truck stolen while having lunch in N.E. Jackson last year. Never recovered.

14 vehicles were broken into shortly after the King Edward restoration in the hotel parking garage. The security guard claims he was on a bathroom break.

Eastern Indian owned convenient stores are not being protected. Thieves regularly walk in, take what they want, and leave smiling.

The mayor and city council brag about the safety of downtown, yet no one shops there anymore. The I-55 corridor is now rampant with crime. Any parking lot along the interstate is constantly monitored by people ready to punce on unsuspecting victims. Older ladies are a sure target.

Have your game in Jacktown. I predict a field day for thugs.

TUSK
04-02-2015, 08:11 PM
MS doesn't need to be left out and Jackson can't afford to be left out. Especially since Montgomery and Mobile of all places are doing this, Jackson should also, and has a much bigger stadium. It's not so much about trying to make Jackson look good, as it is MS getting it's fair share of money and pub.

Personally, I'm sick and damn tired of other states around MS getting everything! If Montgomery did this, then Jackson certainly can.

The Jackson, MS O'Bama Bowl?

hmmmm... We could match the #2 or #3 team in Mississippi to host the Sunbelt Champ or Notre Dame (with minimum 5 wins).

Both participants' players and fans receive free lunches and cell phone service for life...

Howboutdemdogs
04-02-2015, 08:20 PM
+1

Bothrops
04-02-2015, 08:29 PM
No doubt Jackson is one of the worst towns in America, but that's why it needs a bowl game-to bring revenue. It's gonna look pretty backward when everywhere else is hosting a bowl or multiple bowls and the place that's needs it the most continues to argue about how it's going to fix it's streets, while a 60k seat stadium sits empty.

Did the mayor and the chamber of commerce not see an opportunity here?

Todd4State
04-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Maybe.

I'm not familiar with the circumstances involving crime in Birmingham. But my experiences, as well as the victimization of my friends and family in Jackson have been a nightmare.

I've been robbed at gun point.

My father's last night at St. Dominics was highlighted by his car being stolen underneath
a security camera and a light post in the parking lot. When I tried to show the JPD the
broken drivers side glass on the ground, he still continued to question me as though the
vehicle might have been repoed. He never got out of his vehicle.

My wife's co-worker was abducted, and threatened with rape until she jumped out of a moving vehicle, shattering her ankle and lower leg.

Vehicles are stolen and pilfered at the impound lot in Jackson.

The JPD had two of their own arrested last week for stealing multiple trailers at a dealership.

A local homebuilder I work for had his truck stolen while having lunch in N.E. Jackson last year. Never recovered.

14 vehicles were broken into shortly after the King Edward restoration in the hotel parking garage. The security guard claims he was on a bathroom break.

Eastern Indian owned convenient stores are not being protected. Thieves regularly walk in, take what they want, and leave smiling.

The mayor and city council brag about the safety of downtown, yet no one shops there anymore. The I-55 corridor is now rampant with crime. Any parking lot along the interstate is constantly monitored by people ready to punce on unsuspecting victims. Older ladies are a sure target.

Have your game in Jacktown. I predict a field day for thugs.

It sounds like you had an incredibly bad run of luck. I lived there for 36 years, parked in the Vet parking lot for over 10 years without an incident ever.

Todd4State
04-02-2015, 10:24 PM
No doubt Jackson is one of the worst towns in America, but that's why it needs a bowl game-to bring revenue. It's gonna look pretty backward when everywhere else is hosting a bowl or multiple bowls and the place that's needs it the most continues to argue about how it's going to fix it's streets, while a 60k seat stadium sits empty.

Did the mayor and the chamber of commerce not see an opportunity here?

No one has probably ever brought it before them.