PDA

View Full Version : So, will we be any better next year?

Tripp McNeely
04-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Here's your ideal lineup if we lose NO ONE to the draft...

C Collins
1B Gordon/Lowe
2B Gridley
SS Holland
3B Riley...Spruill/Reynolds
OF Robson
OF Hump
OF Pickett

SP Tatum
SP Sexton
SP Fenter

Bullpen...since it's such a hodge-podge right now, I hate to even speculate on what it might look like next year.

Now, here's your likely lineup:

C Collins
1B Gordon/Lowe
2B Gridley
SS Holland
3B Spruill/Reynolds
OF Robson
OF Hump
OF Brown

SP Tatum
SP Sexton
SP Brown

How does next year's roster, besides a couple of really good freshmen (which we'll probably lose most of to the draft...and, let me repeat, if not...will be freshmen) inspire confidence that this is a team that will be hosting...especially with our current philosophy. I wish I could see it, but I don't.

Tbonewannabe
04-01-2015, 08:08 AM
Baseball freshman aren't equal to football freshmen. Most good to great college teams have at least one freshman starting somewhere. If you don't it means you are loaded and looking at a National seed or your recruiting sucks. Very few really good players now are like Renfroe. Most are like Frazier, come in pretty good and then you might only have them 3 years.

MsStateBaseball
04-01-2015, 08:10 AM
Way too early. Will know a lot more July 16th, the day after the pro signing period. Plus some may transfer.

mparkerfd20
04-01-2015, 08:35 AM
I was just thinking about this last night. Offense 'should' be a little better, sinc e it's hard to imagine being worse. Pitching unfortunately could be even worse. I have very little hope that next year will be much better.

HancockCountyDog
04-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Here's your ideal lineup if we lose NO ONE to the draft...

C Collins
1B Gordon/Lowe
2B Gridley
SS Holland
3B Riley...Spruill/Reynolds
OF Robson
OF Hump
OF Pickett

SP Tatum
SP Sexton
SP Fenter

Bullpen...since it's such a hodge-podge right now, I hate to even speculate on what it might look like next year.

Now, here's your likely lineup:

C Collins
1B Gordon/Lowe
2B Gridley
SS Holland
3B Spruill/Reynolds
OF Robson
OF Hump
OF Brown

SP Tatum
SP Sexton
SP Brown

How does next year's roster, besides a couple of really good freshmen (which we'll probably lose most of to the draft...and, let me repeat, if not...will be freshmen) inspire confidence that this is a team that will be hosting...especially with our current philosophy. I wish I could see it, but I don't.

Way too early to make any predictions on freshman that will or won't be here. There is a troubling trend going on in high school players, some high school players are looking to get drafted and if they don't, they go to JUCO so they can get drafted after 1 year. Now, that isn't the norm, but it is happening more and more.

Honestly, we are in the tall grass right now, and just have to fight our way out of it.

dawgs
04-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Way too early to make any predictions on freshman that will or won't be here. There is a troubling trend going on in high school players, some high school players are looking to get drafted and if they don't, they go to JUCO so they can get drafted after 1 year. Now, that isn't the norm, but it is happening more and more.

Honestly, we are in the tall grass right now, and just have to fight our way out of it.

You have to play 2 years of juco before you can get drafted. Still shorter than 3 years, but not as short as 1.

HancockCountyDog
04-01-2015, 09:37 AM
You have to play 2 years of juco before you can get drafted. Still shorter than 3 years, but not as short as 1.

Ummm, No.

Here is the direct quote from MLB - I'll bold it up for you:

Certain groups of players are ineligible for selection, generally because they are still in school. The basic categories of players eligible to be drafted are:

High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed
A Club generally retains the rights to sign a selected player until 11:59 PM (EDT) August 15, or until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college on a full-time basis. A player who is drafted and does not sign with the Club that selected him may be drafted again at a future year's Draft, so long as the player is eligible for that year's Draft. A Club may not select a player again in a subsequent year, unless the player has consented to the re-selection.

CadaverDawg
04-01-2015, 10:15 AM
I was just thinking about this last night. Offense 'should' be a little better, sinc e it's hard to imagine being worse. Pitching unfortunately could be even worse. I have very little hope that next year will be much better.

Our pitching will be better. Return the following, plus we add some good freshmen...

Sexton
Brown
Tatum
McCord
Young
Brown
Gentry
And others

Lose:
Ross
Fitts
Laster
Who am I missing?

MsStateBaseball
04-01-2015, 10:47 AM
JUCO can be drafted any time. 4 year players can be drafted if you are 21 or three years of college completed.

sleepy dawg
04-01-2015, 12:42 PM
The only thing that matters is can our pitchers shut everyone out. The quality of our bats don't really matter when they aren't allowed to hit.

AlSwearengen
04-01-2015, 01:01 PM
I hope McCord doesn't turn out to be Hudson 2.0. He is starting out the same way, complete with preseason hype from the coaches.