PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article....calling Cohen out

coastratdog
03-31-2015, 09:22 AM
http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2015/3/30/8314421/mississippi-state-auburn-baseball-john-cohen-coaching-strategy

Hope this works. If not go to FWTCT.

Ralph
03-31-2015, 09:29 AM
Good read and spot on imo

HancockCountyDog
03-31-2015, 09:30 AM
This type of article could look pretty dumb or spot on in about 4 weeks.

maroonmania
03-31-2015, 09:51 AM

I really don't see anything changing in the next 4 weeks that would in any way make the article look dumb. Most of what is pointed out is just plain fact. The article really just is a regurgitation of what has been discussed on this board at length over the past few dismal weeks. No way do I see us all of sudden starting to put up 5+ runs/game routinely if we stay with the same bullcrap junk that Cohen has been doing. Like the article states, our best shot to have good offensive production is to put together a traditional lineup consistently that takes advantage of each hitters' strengths and let them play! Limit bunting to late innings where ONE run could actually be the difference in winning and losing rather than just giving away free outs early in the game. Let each guy get comfortable hitting at a certain spot in the lineup instead of jumbling the spots and personnel EVERY day. Give it a try, it can't produce any worse results that what we've already been getting.

dawgs
03-31-2015, 11:51 AM

Even if we get hot, it doesn't make cohen's approach more right. We got hot. We're already likely out of the running to host a regional barring an unprecedented run. Maybe we squeeze into a regional by getting moderately hot, but we should be competing for national seeds and hosting regionals, not overthinking and getting cute to the point that we need a couple of hot weeks just to get back into the at-large bid discussion.

SouthMsDawg
03-31-2015, 11:54 AM
Seriously, what coach is there out there honestly that can do better and his higher credential than Cohen that would actually want to come to Starkville?

Bucky Dog
03-31-2015, 12:00 PM
I think this guy has read all of our posts and put it all together. This is exactly spot on in my opinion and is exactly what needs to happen

Smitty
03-31-2015, 12:09 PM
Seriously, what coach is there out there honestly that can do better and his higher credential than Cohen that would actually want to come to Starkville?

Start at the bottom of the NCAA Sac Bunt list and work your way up**

Really all we need to do is get a hitting coach and stop being idiots in-game... If he can't humble himself to that and we continue this mediocrity (this year less than mediocre) then he will need to go.

Tracy Smith was a good choice until Arizona State snapped him up.

War Machine Dawg
03-31-2015, 12:34 PM

The ship has probably sailed, but I'd throw the bank at Brian O'Connor at UVA and make him say no.

BiscuitEater
03-31-2015, 02:21 PM
Good read and spot on imo

To three years ago .. end of Feb, 2012 .. to another Article in For Whom the Cowbell Tolls .. Top 5 Reasons to Fire Stansbury. It was a 5 part series explaining just how ..

Mississippi State didn't have to just "settle for good." We can be great. Goals should be more than "just 9-7 in the SEC." How .. "We are in the SEC, we have the facilities, the fans, everything you need to succeed. There is no reason to accept mediocrity."

Two weeks later, Stans 'retired.' The ONE KEY item that the article left out .. was a call for a 'viable transition plan to hire a better coach.'

And.. MSU fans got to live through the Rick Ray & the 'worst' three years of basketball in MSU history.

BiscuitEater
03-31-2015, 02:35 PM
The ship has probably sailed, but I'd throw the bank at Brian O'Connor at UVA and make him say no.

1. Why don't we go for the whole package and 'throw the bank' at Saban and Calipari too** (Point being .. None of the three is leaving to come to MSU for more $$)

2. O'Conner is "almost" as intense as Cohen .. just got his a** suspended four games for 'bumping' an umpire after being ejected from the Cavaliers? 2-1 loss to Virginia Tech last Friday. Both are hard headed and are going to coach 'his' way.

3. O'Conner has fantastic facilities, great fan support and plays in the ACC with good competition but .. he is going to get to the regionals most years and he doesn't have to compete in the SEC West.

State82
03-31-2015, 02:41 PM

That's actually what I wanted in 2008 when it could have realistically happened. But, as you said, that ship has long sailed.

War Machine Dawg
03-31-2015, 08:04 PM
1. Why don't we go for the whole package and 'throw the bank' at Saban and Calipari too** (Point being .. None of the three is leaving to come to MSU for more $$)

2. O'Conner is "almost" as intense as Cohen .. just got his a** suspended four games for 'bumping' an umpire after being ejected from the Cavaliers? 2-1 loss to Virginia Tech last Friday. Both are hard headed and are going to coach 'his' way.

3. O'Conner has fantastic facilities, great fan support and plays in the ACC with good competition but .. he is going to get to the regionals most years and he doesn't have to compete in the SEC West.

No one has a problem with Cohen's intensity outside a few blue hairs. Fairly certain most of us here are wishing the Intense Bastard would reappear. The problem is Cohen's offensive philosophy. As for O'Conner, his style translates anywhere. Baseball is the one sport where we not only can, but SHOULD, spend whatever it takes to get an elite coach. And I thought I was pretty clear when I said "that ship has probably sailed", meaning the odds of him leaving UVA at this point are very remote. But like Bama with Gregg Marshall at WSU, you make a guy like that say no first.

I seen it dawg
03-31-2015, 08:35 PM
This ain't a situation where we are some dumpster Fire. We are upper echelon with history in college baseball. Big timers and small timers looking to be big timers would be licking our ads balls to come here.

Homedawg
03-31-2015, 10:07 PM

Clearly you haven't watched him coach. They bunt like crazy. So if that's your problem, try again.