PDA

View Full Version : Ray Kasongo

messageboardsuperhero
03-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Per twitter, Howland and McCray went to see Kasongo this weekend in Toronto and today took a private jet to see him again in Idaho... This guy is obviously a HUGE priority for us on many levels- with our obvious need for an impact big man, his connection to Malik Newman, plus Newman's desire for us to sign another post player. Getting those two to sign on for next year would expedite the rebuilding process tremendously, IMO.

msstate7
03-29-2015, 08:54 PM
So any news on who leads with kasongo?

Coach34
03-29-2015, 09:13 PM
247 say its us

Dawg61
03-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Per twitter, Howland and McCray went to see Kasongo this weekend in Toronto and today took a private jet to see him again in Idaho... This guy is obviously a HUGE priority for us on many levels- with our obvious need for an impact big man, his connection to Malik Newman, plus Newman's desire for us to sign another post player. Getting those two to sign on for next year would expedite the rebuilding process tremendously, IMO.

If we get Newman and Kasongo and hold onto Tookie and Spoon we have got to have a top 10 class. Howland's very last signing class at UCLA was ranked #1 in the country. Man did we ever land a whale in Howland! We are incredibly lucky right now. Timing is EVERYTHING in life. Not even a week after we get Howland, Tennessee, Texas, Arizona St. and St. John's all have their HC spot open up. Bama too. This decision to fire Ray and Hire Howland has leapfrogged MSU all the way to a top 25 program again and it's a decision that will have a lasting hugely positive effect on the basketball program for twenty years. What a fantastic week for MSU basketball!

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2015, 09:50 PM
If we get Newman and Kasongo and hold onto Tookie and Spoon we have got to have a top 10 class. Howland's very last signing class at UCLA was ranked #1 in the country. Man did we ever land a whale in Howland! We are incredibly lucky right now. Timing is EVERYTHING in life. Not even a week after we get Howland, Tennessee, Texas, Arizona St. and St. John's all have their HC spot open up. Bama too. This decision to fire Ray and Hire Howland has leapfrogged MSU all the way to a top 25 program again and it's a decision that will have a lasting hugely positive effect on the basketball program for twenty years. What a fantastic week for MSU basketball!

Add Kasongo & Malik we finish 18 or 19 with or without Tookie in the class.

ETA: this is according to 24/7

msstate7
03-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Add Kasongo & Malik we finish 18 or 19 with or without Tookie in the class.

ETA: this is according to 24/7

Tookie is rated higher than kasongo

messageboardsuperhero
03-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Considering our coaches are flying all around North America to have two in-person visits with him in as many days, you have to feel like Howland and co. like our chances.

messageboardsuperhero
03-29-2015, 09:53 PM

Damn you're even more wooly than I am, ha.

Dawg61
03-29-2015, 10:25 PM
Damn you're even more wooly than I am, ha.

Yes I am. Howland is the real ****ing deal boys. We landed a whale!

messageboardsuperhero
03-29-2015, 10:31 PM

And BTW, Howland and the staff locked up Weatherspoon for good a few days ago when they were visiting him and Malik in Jackson.

msstate7
03-29-2015, 10:34 PM
And BTW, Howland and the staff locked up Weatherspoon for good a few days ago when they were visiting him and Malik in Jackson.

Seems weatherspoon is becoming the forgotten guy in this class. I love this kid and think he will be a great player for us

Dawg61
03-29-2015, 10:34 PM

Awesome! I'm a little worried about Tookie though.

msstate7
03-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Awesome! I'm a little worried about Tookie though.

Me too. More worried about us dropping him than him dropping us. I think it will be a mistake though

Dawg61
03-29-2015, 10:43 PM
Seems weatherspoon is becoming the forgotten guy in this class. I love this kid and think he will be a great player for us

PG has the more immediate upgrade effect for us. Tookie and Newman elevate our team offensively drastically. Spoon can hopefully get space because of them and play a Devin Booker type role for us. But Spoon will be playing the 2 or 3 and he's most likely not immediately an upgrade over Sword or Thomas that played the 2 or 3 last year. That's why Spoon isn't talked about as much as Newman (obviously) or Tookie. Those two will immediately add 10-15 extra points a night. Maybe more but we'll see how fast Howland really wants to play.

Dawg61
03-29-2015, 10:44 PM
Me too. More worried about us dropping him than him dropping us. I think it will be a mistake though

HUGE MISTAKE!! I'd be PISSED!! Please don't let that happen

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2015, 10:48 PM
We'll see what happens with Tookie.

Jacksondevildog
03-29-2015, 10:54 PM

You still feel good about Newman?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2015, 10:59 PM
You still feel good about Newman?

Yep.

Dawg61
03-29-2015, 11:01 PM

Can you expand further?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2015, 11:32 PM
Can you expand further?

No decision has been made on our side or his. We're not sure he's going to be apart of the class & right now he's not sure he wants to be.

msstate7
03-29-2015, 11:40 PM
I really want tookie, but I wonder if it's a Tyler Russell situation. Howland predicates his teams on tough, man-to-man defense. I wonder how well ready and tookie will fit bc they're so undersized.

messageboardsuperhero
03-29-2015, 11:56 PM
I really want tookie, but I wonder if it's a Tyler Russell situation. Howland predicates his teams on tough, man-to-man defense. I wonder how well ready and tookie will fit bc they're so undersized.

I don't buy that at all. Brown may be a little short for what Howland likes, but Darren Collison came into UCLA at 6' flat weighing 150 soaking wet and that turned out ok. I have no idea what Howland is thinking about Brown- but IMO, the "Howland fit" is more about having a tough guy mentality than being a certain size.

Not calling you out specifically, but I've done a lot of research on Howland in the past week and it amazes me how so many people at UCLA and around the country have tried to pigeon hole him as boring or stubborn. I'm sure he has been stubborn at times, but there aren't many coaches in the country who have successfully adapted to different situations and circumstances throughout their career like Howland has. Luckily for us, he waited to adapt at the end of his UCLA tenure after it was already too late... Now sitting out two years, reflecting on his career, and traveling to other programs to study them- I believe Howland when he says he thinks he can do his best job ever here.

That's not to say I think he'll ever take us to three straight final fours, but he can win and win big here.

Dawg61
03-29-2015, 11:56 PM

Tookie isn't undersized for Howland. Darren Collison right now today in the NBA is 6'0 175lbs. Tookie is listed as 5'11 180lbs. He's already thicker than an NBA player that Howland raised.

smootness
03-30-2015, 12:00 AM
Tookie isn't 5'11".

I certainly hope he's in the class, and my feelings on his potential are documented. But I trust Howland, whatever he feels is best.

engie
03-30-2015, 07:34 AM
I certainly want Tookie. We need to bring in a PG in this class besides Malik IMO unless Howland believes he can pull another elite CG/PG in the 2016 class to fill Malik's likely freshly vacated spot. Otherwise, we're looking at Ready being a Sr -- Malik being gone -- and us breaking in a true freshman or JUCO as backup PG. I'd rather have experience in the spot even if you redshirt that guy this year. Unless the next guy is elite as well. So, all that being said, I'll trust whatever Howland wants to do -- but I think passing on Tookie would be a mistake. Let's get him here -- make room -- and we can make the numbers work out in the future.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-30-2015, 08:04 AM
I certainly want Tookie. We need to bring in a PG in this class besides Malik IMO unless Howland believes he can pull another elite CG/PG in the 2016 class to fill Malik's likely freshly vacated spot. Otherwise, we're looking at Ready being a Sr -- Malik being gone -- and us breaking in a true freshman or JUCO as backup PG. I'd rather have experience in the spot even if you redshirt that guy this year. Unless the next guy is elite as well. So, all that being said, I'll trust whatever Howland wants to do -- but I think passing on Tookie would be a mistake. Let's get him here -- make room -- and we can make the numbers work out in the future.

Kobi Simmons would be that elite CG we're targeting for the 2016 class.

C222
03-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Kobi Simmons would be that elite CG we're targeting for the 2016 class.

Simmons is a stud. I have a feeling our 2016 class is going to be loaded.

maroonmania
03-30-2015, 08:43 AM
Tookie isn't undersized for Howland. Darren Collison right now today in the NBA is 6'0 175lbs. Tookie is listed as 5'11 180lbs. He's already thicker than an NBA player that Howland raised.

Its Howland's decision, not mine, but as I've said numerous times I don't see how it can make sense to turn Tookie away and keep Dunlap when pretty much everything points to Tookie being the better player. Size is an issue for both so that's not a differentiator.

engie
03-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Its Howland's decision, not mine, but as I've said numerous times I don't see how it can make sense to turn Tookie away and keep Dunlap when pretty much everything points to Tookie being the better player. Size is an issue for both so that's not a differentiator.

Agreed.

If he can land Simmons, Howland can do whatever he wants right now in my opinion... But Tookie feels like an Isaiah Canaan-type that we'll kick ourselves about letting go to me...

Raytoraid83
03-30-2015, 09:50 AM

Dunlap played for Jackson tigers, Malik's AAU team. Can't risk ruining any connections.

msstate7
03-30-2015, 09:57 AM
Agreed.

If he can land Simmons, Howland can do whatever he wants right now in my opinion... But Tookie feels like an Isaiah Canaan-type that we'll kick ourselves about letting go to me...

Simmons, kegler, simonds, and a big man... This should be our goal

Dawg61
03-30-2015, 10:01 AM
Dunlap played for Jackson tigers, Malik's AAU team. Can't risk ruining any connections.

Daniels looks to be odd man out then is my guess

msstate7
03-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Daniels looks to be odd man out then is my guess

Gotta be 2 if we sign kasongo and Malik

Ifyouonlyknew
03-30-2015, 10:09 AM

James Banks is the big man we're targeting right now.

messageboardsuperhero
03-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Also of note, UM took a Juco PG yesterday. Their website people say it has nothing to do with Newman though, and their coaches still like their chances... We'll see. They had been telling Newman all along that he'd be their starting PG next season if he were to sign.

Raytoraid83
03-30-2015, 10:27 AM
Also of note, UM took a Juco PG yesterday. Their website people say it has nothing to do with Newman though, and their coaches still like their chances... We'll see. They had been telling Newman all along that he'd be their starting PG next season if he were to sign.

Howland, Johnny Jones and Caliapari battle for Malik. Ole Miss is out.

C222
03-30-2015, 11:56 AM

Josh Langford
Mario Kegler
James Banks
Braxton Blackwell
Kobi Simmons

That is our goal.

Thick
03-30-2015, 12:16 PM
That's a pretty damn good goal.

maroonmania
03-30-2015, 12:45 PM

Yep, if we sign both then its likely one frontcout player and one backcourt player will need to move on. Could be any 2 though I guess. For example, could be that Ndoye moves on and we keep one of Daniels and Zuppardo. Right now it seems that Daniels, Houston, Black and Zuppardo are sort of a logjam at the 4 position though Daniels plays the 3 some as well.

chef dixon
03-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Josh Langford
Mario Kegler
James Banks
Braxton Blackwell
Kobi Simmons

That is our goal.

Sounds awesome but I'll believe it when I see it. You have to beat out UConn, Duke, UK, KU etc. for those type of guys.

Dawg61
03-30-2015, 01:36 PM

Ndoye is a given. He doesn't need mention every time.

C222
03-30-2015, 02:11 PM
That's a pretty damn good goal.

Haha..wishful thinking on my part. I want to raid the Atlanta Celtics.

smootness
03-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Yep, if we sign both then its likely one frontcout player and one backcourt player will need to move on. Could be any 2 though I guess. For example, could be that Ndoye moves on and we keep one of Daniels and Zuppardo. Right now it seems that Daniels, Houston, Black and Zuppardo are sort of a logjam at the 4 position though Daniels plays the 3 some as well.

Houston is a pure 3, and Daniels is really more of a 3 than a 4.

smootness
03-30-2015, 03:20 PM

Ha yeah, Kegler may be in play with him coming back to MS, and I could see us potentially grabbing one from the Celtics, but I would be shocked if we got more than that.

I doubt Simmons is very much in play, but we'll see.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-30-2015, 03:43 PM
We need to do our best to lock up Banks, Simonds, & Kegler those are 3 guys that are really interested & 3 top 100 players who will be here at least 2yrs. Then you can go after Simmons, Langford, Blackwell & whoever to fill the last couple spots.

ZedFedder
03-30-2015, 08:32 PM
We need to do our best to lock up Banks, Simonds, & Kegler those are 3 guys that are really interested & 3 top 100 players who will be here at least 2yrs. Then you can go after Simmons, Langford, Blackwell & whoever to fill the last couple spots.

What are the odds/percentages on those 6 guys? It would be fantastic to get 3 big time players and then lock in on that 2018 class.

smootness
03-30-2015, 08:34 PM
What are the odds/percentages on those 6 guys? It would be fantastic to get 3 big time players and then lock in on that 2018 class.

He'll know much better than me, but I'd say our chances on Simonds are extremely good, good on Banks, and then nobody knows on the others.

I think we'll have a shot at Kegler, but I wouldn't put money on us. And the Celtics guys, we'll just have to wait and see. Simons and McCray will help a lot, but without McCray our chances would probably be pretty low, so who knows.

Homedawg
03-30-2015, 09:03 PM
Josh Langford
Mario Kegler
James Banks
Braxton Blackwell
Kobi Simmons

That is our goal.

You are setting yourself up for some major disappointment.

Homedawg
03-30-2015, 09:04 PM

Ok I see. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking!

msstate7
04-01-2015, 05:23 PM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1533008-lsu-in-running-for-ray-kasongo

Lsu may be tough to beat out esp considering Martin and Mickey are gone. Also we all though kasongo and Malik followed each other bc we were both recruiting them. Perhaps it was the lsu connection instead.

messageboardsuperhero
04-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Johnny Jones may not be able to coach a lick, but right now he is and will continue to be a bitch for us to recruit against... He's also after a St. John's decommit that is visiting us at some point this week.

ETA: The fact that we beat them last year with our shitty coaching and all the talent they had should tells me all I need to know about his coaching ability...

Ifyouonlyknew
04-01-2015, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Kasongo committed to MSU on his OV 4/17-4/19.

messageboardsuperhero
04-01-2015, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Kasongo committed to MSU on his OV 4/17-4/19.

I LOVE that he's visiting on SBW. Any chance we bring in Newman for his OV that weekend too?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Johnny Jones may not be able to coach a lick, but right now he is and will continue to be a bitch for us to recruit against... He's also after a St. John's decommit that is visiting us at some point this week.

I'd love nothing more than for LSU to get Brandon Sampson. That would put them out of the Malik sweepstakes. Sampson is deciding before Malik so if he chooses LSU that would basically make it a 2 team race with us & Ky.

messageboardsuperhero
04-01-2015, 05:35 PM
I'd love nothing more than for LSU to get Brandon Sampson. That would put them out of the Malik sweepstakes. Sampson is deciding before Malik so if he chooses LSU that would basically make it a 2 team race with us & Ky.

And that was my exact thought process as well. Hopefully if they do get Sampson, it'll make at Newman look at us even harder. I still feel pretty good about our position, even though we've still got a ways to go.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-01-2015, 05:36 PM
I LOVE that he's visiting on SBW. Any chance we bring in Newman for his OV that weekend too?

Nope he's playing in the Jordan Brand Classic that weekend.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-01-2015, 05:36 PM
And that was my exact thought process as well. Hopefully if they do get Sampson, it'll make at Newman look at us even harder. I still feel pretty good about our position, even though we've still got a ways to go.

Yea I wouldn't trade our position with any school.

msstate7
04-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Kasongo CB'ed again to us.

Whether we get Malik or not, I want kasongo

chef dixon
04-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Kasongo CB'ed again to us.

Whether we get Malik or not, I want kasongo

Ole Miss and LSU are just following suit and copying the game plan by pushing for Kasongo hard after Howland made his move. They see it as a link to Malik. Fortunately to me it looks like Howland is more in control of the situation.