msstate7
03-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Will texas top that? Either way, Wichita st is losing their HC

I seen it dawg
03-29-2015, 03:40 PM
Dumb

Goat from MSU
03-29-2015, 03:58 PM
Wrong He got it made there and loves it there .

smootness
03-29-2015, 04:05 PM
I don't think that's enough.

Any of the elite jobs can pay at least that, and one of them (probably Indiana) is destined to come open in the next 1-3 years.

Bothrops
03-29-2015, 04:12 PM
That's wreaking of desperation if true. 4 million or 40 million, he'd still only be second fiddle. He should definitely wait and get a job at a large basketball school in a year or two.

Coach34
03-29-2015, 04:41 PM
$2.5MM raise gonna be tough to turn down. Especially if they give him assurance he can lead the project to upgrade facilities

Goat from MSU
03-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Would you rather be a god at the school you coach or a mere human at another. Beside Wichita St. can get it to 3 million anyway. He is staying put.
$2.5MM raise gonna be tough to turn down. Especially if they give him assurance he can lead the project to upgrade facilities

ScottH
03-29-2015, 05:02 PM
Just depends if Kochs' want to match it or not.

Koch = actual deep pockets

msstate7
03-29-2015, 05:15 PM
More money, but much better competition. Cal, Donavon, pearl, and howland (love this)... Does Marshall have the belief in himself to step it up? I hope not

msstate7
03-29-2015, 05:22 PM
Speaking of Marshall... We have 2 guys (black and Daniels) that had Wichita st offers. Be interesting to see what howland can do with them

Bully13
03-29-2015, 05:39 PM
I don't care for the " I don't want to go to a football first school"...got news for you Marshall, schools are either a "football first school" or they want to be .

that said, I hope bamer doesn't get what they want.

Dawgcentral
03-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Would you rather be a god at the school you coach or a mere human at another. Beside Wichita St. can get it to 3 million anyway. He is staying put.

I wouldn't want to "be a god", anywhere. I'd take the 4M and do the best I could though, even if it meant living amongst the Satanites for a few years.

blacklistedbully
03-29-2015, 07:13 PM
Not just about the short-term money. If he accepts $4 mil per year at Bama, he's gonna have to win big and win fast. Can't see them putting up with much losing at that salary. And if he didn't win there soon, what do his prospects look like from there in terms of big-time jobs with a big-time salary?

Let's say he takes it and makes around $16 mil before fired. how long does he sit before getting another job? How much less salary? he most likely will have pissed away his chance at landing one of the elite jobs.

Now let's say Wichita State bumps him up to $3 mill. He stays another year, maybe two, then gets the chance to take one of the elite jobs that easily recruits top athletes and already has all the advantages. Unlike the Bama job, he'd have to screw up to lose there. Now he's making the big bucks, and is in a place that, assuming he's a great a coach as everyone thinks, he'll get great recruits, tons of support, and continue to win games and compete for championships.

Seems to me, it wouldn't take long at all, in the grand scheme of things, to vastly exceed the money he would earn by waiting for that elite job to come calling.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

DancingRabbit
03-29-2015, 07:23 PM
A lot of chatter has him going to Texas. That's my guess. They have more basketball tradition than Bama and can pay like Bama.

Dawgcentral
03-29-2015, 07:25 PM
I won't disagree. I'm just pontificating from the prospective of imagining 4 years work for 16M.

Sure he could advance to an elite BB program after taking the bump at WS,..I just feel like worrying about " being the god on campus", is more about an ego trip than anything else. One can have passion for their occupation, but first and foremost in my mind would be making that big move to achieve a few generations of financial security.

msstate7
03-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Personally I think bama should throw that money at smart. The type of players in the south would fit smart's system much better imo

yjnkdawg
03-29-2015, 07:33 PM

He is supposed to get unlimited resources (plane travel facilites, etc. ). Basically from what I heard last week on a CBS Podcast, Bama is going to make him turn them down. Money is supposedly no object and Nick Saban was supposed to be involved in the recruiting.

yjnkdawg
03-29-2015, 07:37 PM

It was said on a CBS Podcast, last week that it was expected that Barnes would be fired and if Marshall left Wichita State, it would be to Texas. Bama wanted Barnes to remain Texas' coach because Texas is a huge obstacle for them.

yjnkdawg
03-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Personally I think bama should throw that money at smart. The type of players in the south would fit smart's system much better imo

Supposedly Bama was throwing everything at Marshall and if he didn't accept, then it was Miller and then Prohm.

msstate7
03-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Supposedly Bama was throwing everything at Marshall and if he didn't accept, then it was Miller and then Prohm.

Miller would be a homerun. Just as good as Marshall imo

Coach34
03-29-2015, 09:12 PM
Hell, Prohm will likely do as well as any of them and cost them a helluva lot less

sandjunky
03-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Hell, Prohm will likely do as well as any of them and cost them a helluva lot less
Local radio in the Bham area indicates that Prohm would be underwhelming hire and wouldn't give them the splash they think need

Liverpooldawg
03-30-2015, 10:07 AM
They are in full panic mode, or as close as they ever come to it for basketball. The vast majority of their fans don't even know they have a basketball team. When I think about it, I doubt a majority of their fans even know there is a university attached to the football team.