PDA

View Full Version : Bat Performance

bulldogcountry1
03-29-2015, 08:37 AM
We've definitely got bigger problems right now than what brand of bat we use, but I've been wondering for years if we have been using inferior equipment. I've watched a lot of visiting teams come in with different brands of bats that sound different and seem to perform better. The thing is, that's my opinion, not a fact.

What I don't understand is why we aren't doing more to make sure we are using the best equipment available. It's not like we are talking about batting gloves. It's the single most important tool in the game, and even though they have regulations, they are not all created equal. Using the best bats will help, no matter what style of play. So, why are we being loyal to a brand instead of taking a more scientific approach to choosing bats?

It's not that hard to set up a mechanical swinging device that can be calibrated to repeat the same swing that can hit balls off a tee. The speed of the balls off the bat can either be electronically measured or observed on a field. These things already exist, or some engineering students could do it. We are a university, for goodness sakes.

All I am saying is that there is a lot at stake, and if I was the coach, I would make sure we had the best bats available. I don't understand why it's even a question.