PDA

View Full Version : Football thread

Todd4State
03-29-2015, 01:12 AM
Some thoughts from reading the pay sites.

I like how we are using Malik Dear as both a RB/Slot and it sounds to me like we are motioning him in the backfield a lot. I hope we use him more than we typically use freshmen.

I don't particularly care for Fred Ross in the slot. I would rather him be on the outside and let Gray play the slot. It sounds like our receivers are DEEP.

It sounds like Shumpert might be an upgrade over Josh in some ways- especially blocking. I wish we would use Shumpert, Aeries, and Lee like Jackie used to use Davis, Bouie, and Karl Williamson back in the day, but it sounds like it's going to be primarily Shumpert getting the carries. I cringe when I see Holloway's name on the depth chart.

There is no indication that we are using Deshun Dixon as the H-back/FB role. But I haven't been at practice.

It sounds like Gus Walley is staking a claim to the TE spot.

As far as the o-line, I think I saw on Paul's depth chart that Damien Robinson was playing with the ones. It would be good to have another body there.

It sounds like Will Coleman and Jonathan Calvin are surprising people.

I cringe seeing Zach Jackson running with the ones. Especially with JT Gray behind him.

I cringe even more with the depth chart at safety. Evans over Bryant? C'mon.

Good to see Cedric Giles back at CB.

I can't really tell who is winning the kicking battle, but could it be that Devon Bell wins the job? This will go down to the wire.

mic
03-29-2015, 07:16 AM
The Slot and Outside..
It doesn't matter... Again it doesn't matter.. Where our WR lineup .. It's about gettin the best players on the field. I hope we line a few up in backfield.. Hell line up bear in the slot some.. Our WR core top to bottom is the best we have ever had here. So everyone please don't worry if Ross is in the slot some .. When we go 4 and 5 wide it really makes no difference where they lineup .. It's going to fun to watch our offense next year...
Gray
Ross
Bear
Brown
Myles
Morrow
Even Jackson and I bet Dear sees lots of minutes.
Pick ur poison ...

basedog
03-29-2015, 07:28 AM
Why cringe Todd, it's only spring practice? This is the time for the coaches to find out about who is gonna help, I wouldn't worry as it is way to early and things will change in 2 a days.

DoctorDawg
03-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Thank you for some football talk.

Drugdog
03-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Liking me some spring weather, but going to love me some football.

GTHOM
03-29-2015, 10:35 AM
If Zach Jackson and deonte evans start over brandon bryant and JT gray then we will know for sure that mullen will not ever start a freshman.. Saban will though (sigh)

No offense to either of those players, they both are usually around the ball a lot i just think we saw jackson get beat in man coverage enough and our safeties be sorry enough t last a lifetime

Coach34
03-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Jackson and Evans were also young. Guys get better with experience.

Let's also remember that our program is one that doesnt give anybody anything. Positions are earned. Older players get 1st crack to prove themselves. The depth chart in September wont look the way it does right now.

RougeDawg
03-29-2015, 06:12 PM
WHat is the QB update? Who is on top of the depth chart behind Dak? Any improvement noticed in Dak's passing?

whosyourdawgy
03-29-2015, 06:30 PM
As far as the safety position, I wouldn't put much stock in depth charts right now anyway considering we have 2 highly thought of recruits that aren't even on campus yet. I hope that Peters and McLaurin will be pushing for playing time

Todd4State
03-29-2015, 06:34 PM
The Slot and Outside..
It doesn't matter... Again it doesn't matter.. Where our WR lineup .. It's about gettin the best players on the field. I hope we line a few up in backfield.. Hell line up bear in the slot some.. Our WR core top to bottom is the best we have ever had here. So everyone please don't worry if Ross is in the slot some .. When we go 4 and 5 wide it really makes no difference where they lineup .. It's going to fun to watch our offense next year...
Gray
Ross
Bear
Brown
Myles
Morrow
Even Jackson and I bet Dear sees lots of minutes.
Pick ur poison ...

I'd rather not have a 5'8" guy on the outside. Personal preference. The other big guys I am fine with lining them up in the slot. I think our three best are the first three you listed.

thf24
03-29-2015, 07:10 PM
Ross at slot has got to be some kind of motivational tactic or some similar Mullenism. He's a prototypical flanker and that's where he needs to play. I fully expect him to be lining up there come September.

eta: I wouldn't be opposed to him lining up at slot in some formations (same for Bear) but he'll be able to do the most damage on the outside opposite Bear.

Bully13
03-29-2015, 07:14 PM
hopefully Manny will not let what happened to us last year happen again. Collins is the King of Suck. He mailed it in. I hope he ends up working the night shift in whataburger.

Coach34
03-29-2015, 07:30 PM
WHat is the QB update? Who is on top of the depth chart behind Dak? Any improvement noticed in Dak's passing?

Fitz is the only other QB that can go thru full practice. Staley is non-contact

bulldawg28
03-29-2015, 07:37 PM
Having Ross move to the slot is an indication of how versatile he is of a WR and the difficulty he poses in coverage. The slot WR is the most difficult to cover and can single handily defeat ANY defense and blitz. The fact that Mullen and Gonzalez are doing this makes perfect sense it also again increases our size on the field with blocking and opens the field with the outside WR'S keeping the safeties inside the hashes.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Wilson & Gray will start outside & Ross will start in the slot. Gray is similar to Steve Smith or Antonio Brown. He can handle the outside with no problems. Ross spent the last half of last season in the slot & played lights out hence keeping him in the slot. Ross is going to be the breakout player in the SEC this year mark my words.

Todd4State
03-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Having Ross move to the slot is an indication of how versatile he is of a WR and the difficulty he poses in coverage. The slot WR is the most difficult to cover and can single handily defeat ANY defense and blitz. The fact that Mullen and Gonzalez are doing this makes perfect sense it also again increases our size on the field with blocking and opens the field with the outside WR'S keeping the safeties inside the hashes.

True, but how is Ross on screens and on jet sweeps? I think Gray and Dear are better suited for those things and Ross is better suited on the outside.

Belegal
03-29-2015, 07:58 PM
True, but how is Ross on screens and on jet sweeps? I think Gray and Dear are better suited for those things and Ross is better suited on the outside.

Did Robinson get his extra year yet?

msstate7
03-29-2015, 08:01 PM

I hope we see bear, gray, Ross, and Myles in the slot this year. Really wanna see some running plays out of the slot for Myles

Todd4State
03-29-2015, 08:06 PM

I'm going with what Coach34 said and just say that it depends on how he looks in the spring and that the sixth year is an option if we both want to pursue it.

Todd4State
03-29-2015, 08:08 PM
I hope we see bear, gray, Ross, and Myles in the slot this year. Really wanna see some running plays out of the slot for Myles

I do too. Florida did a ton of stuff with guys like Harvin, Demps, etc. out of the slot where they ran the ball. When we beat LSU, we had a few running plays with Jameon that kind of got eliminated from the offense once he got hurt.

CadaverDawg
03-29-2015, 08:34 PM
Wilson & Gray will start outside & Ross will start in the slot. Gray is similar to Steve Smith or Antonio Brown. He can handle the outside with no problems. Ross spent the last half of last season in the slot & played lights out hence keeping him in the slot. Ross is going to be the breakout player in the SEC this year mark my words.

Yep. Ross is my boy. He will go off just like he did to finish the year.

Really Clark?
03-29-2015, 09:03 PM
If Zach Jackson and deonte evans start over brandon bryant and JT gray then we will know for sure that mullen will not ever start a freshman.. Saban will though (sigh)

No offense to either of those players, they both are usually around the ball a lot i just think we saw jackson get beat in man coverage enough and our safeties be sorry enough t last a lifetime

Myles last year, Jiles, Jones, B. Brown, Wilson, Evans and Samuel from the year before all have at least one official game start in the last two years. Not including all of the other freshman who participated in games. The year before we played a good number of freshman including true freshman.

Coach34
03-29-2015, 09:16 PM

the NCAA has granted Robinson a 6th year- he has to leave Spring on the 2 deep to stay on the roster is my understanding. Thats why a guy with an August ACL injury is going thru full Spring contact

Coach34
03-29-2015, 09:18 PM

We rarely throw a screen or run the jet sweep. We never throw a bubble screen. Might as well have a prototypical slot instead of a speed munchkin. Ross and Bear in combo routes will be tough. Plus- in the slot Ross will be going against nickel CB's or safeties- advantage us.

bulldawg28
03-29-2015, 09:20 PM
We rarely throw a screen or run the jet sweep. We never throw a bubble screen. Might as well have a prototypical slot instead of a speed munchkin. Ross and Bear in combo routes will be tough. Plus- in the slot Ross will be going against nickel CB's or safeties- advantage us.

Indeed.

Political Hack
03-30-2015, 09:17 AM
This assortment of players has a chance to be better than last year's assortment of players. Crazy to think about considering how good we were during the first half of the season, but I fully expect a flip flop this year where we peak at the end of the season.

I think we improve offensively and on defense. We may have some drop off on individual units, but overall both the O & D will be better.

mic
03-30-2015, 09:44 AM
This assortment of players has a chance to be better than last year's assortment of players. Crazy to think about considering how good we were during the first half of the season, but I fully expect a flip flop this year where we peak at the end of the season.

I think we improve offensively and on defense. We may have some drop off on individual units, but overall both the O & D will be better.

Agree 100%... Better team than last year with possibly a worse record...

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Mike Bonner is on Bo Bounds right now and here are a few football points:

1. Malik Dear is looking great - It seems like Malik my have a big role on this year's team as the 3rd down running back, that plays a similar role to what Perkins did with those wheel routes, screens, etc, and it seems like Malik may also be our kick returner. I love the idea of Malik as the 3rd down back, but I'm a little skeptical about him as the kick returner, due to raw speed. I want a kick returner that has a burst through the hole.

2. Nick Fitzgerald is playing well. I really like Damien Williams and am glad he is a bulldog, but we really need Nick Fitzgerald to win the backup job this Spring. The reason for this is simple, Nick has a far higher ceiling than Williams, and the backup QB gets snaps in games. If we are to continue to be good after Dak leaves, we must replace him with a legitimate talent, which Fitzgerald is. Therefore, we need Fitzgerald to win the backup job so he gets snaps and experience in the 2nd half of games next season.

3. It seems Martinas Rankin is still figuring things out with the 2nd team. This shouldn't be all that surprising since O-linemen usually take time to develop, unless your Ole Miss and you just throw them to the wolves when they aren't ready.

msstate7
03-30-2015, 09:59 AM
What kinda shape is dear in? Wasn't he too heavy last year?

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2015, 10:01 AM

I've heard he's slimmed down a little, but apparently the guy has outstanding hands & catches everything. Since he was a QB in high school, this may be a part of his game that many haven't seen.

mcain31
03-30-2015, 10:08 AM
2. Nick Fitzgerald is playing well. I really like Damien Williams and am glad he is a bulldog, but we really need Nick Fitzgerald to win the backup job this Spring. The reason for this is simple, Nick has a far higher ceiling than Williams, and the backup QB gets snaps in games. If we are to continue to be good after Dak leaves, we must replace him with a legitimate talent, which Fitzgerald is. Therefore, we need Fitzgerald to win the backup job so he gets snaps and experience in the 2nd half of games next season.
I believe the back up QB spot will be settled in the Fall. Don't discount Staley. I've heard he's still ahead of Fitzgerald in ball placement and reading pass coverage ability.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-30-2015, 10:11 AM

He's lost about 10-12lbs & I expect him to lose another 10 or so between now & fall camp. Everybody loves Mixon & Deddrick Thomas but Dear is a different beast. He's easily the most talented of the 3 & that's not a slight to the other 2 at all Malik is just that gifted.

Coach34
03-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Staley is going to win the back-up job unless he just doesn't mature. Most talent of the 3 and more polished than Fitz. Fitz is a better runner- but lags in the passing game

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2015, 10:21 AM
He's lost about 10-12lbs & I expect him to lose another 10 or so between now & fall camp. Everybody loves Mixon & Deddrick Thomas but Dear is a different beast. He's easily the most talented of the 3 & that's not a slight to the other 2 at all Malik is just that gifted.

What is Dear's greatest tool?

I've seen him and he looks like Josh Robinson, doesn't seem to have the body type for elite speed, or the arm length for exceptional receiving ability.

What does he do that makes him special?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-30-2015, 10:37 AM

I've seen him and he looks like Josh Robinson, doesn't seem to have the body type for elite speed, or the arm length for exceptional receiving ability.

Great hands, good speed, powerful. There's nothing he can't do.

GTHOM
03-30-2015, 11:22 AM

if we dont run bubble screens, jet sweeps etc., to gabe myles donald gray or malik dear we are idiots

Hotdawg66
03-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Fitz will win the backup job. He has a better grasp of the offense at this point and his passing has improved. I talked to Fitz's high school coach not long ago. He said Nick could always pass he just didn't run an offense where he was able to throw it a lot. He said Nick was a 3 time invite to the Elite 11 QB competition which is hard to do.

Political Hack
03-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Fitz will win the backup job. He has a better grasp of the offense at this point and Staley's immaturity is still hurting him.

I tend to think Fitz has the edge too, even though I think Staley's top end ceiling is through the roof. Fitz is a lot bigger than people realize too. He looks like a TE to me, but he's a QB for sure. I think he's an incredible fit in CDM's offense too.

Barking 13
03-30-2015, 03:56 PM

There you have it... the great and powerful OZ has spoken... point blank, period.

Barking 13
03-30-2015, 04:06 PM
Can I say this is refreshing, arguing over which monster will play where, instead of the $hit$torm that was basketball and the disappointment of the baseball team this year?

The end of August can't get here soon enough... the next big thing to get wooly about it seems, is Howland's recruits... (hopefully)

If Cohen can get his junk together, just think of the national implications we could have in all sports, (well, most anyway) going forward... This ain't your father's Miss'sippi State (or what I grew up with)

Todd4State
03-30-2015, 05:28 PM

I think we should run those things though.

Todd4State
03-30-2015, 05:30 PM
Mike Bonner is on Bo Bounds right now and here are a few football points:

1. Malik Dear is looking great - It seems like Malik my have a big role on this year's team as the 3rd down running back, that plays a similar role to what Perkins did with those wheel routes, screens, etc, and it seems like Malik may also be our kick returner. I love the idea of Malik as the 3rd down back, but I'm a little skeptical about him as the kick returner, due to raw speed. I want a kick returner that has a burst through the hole.

3. It seems Martinas Rankin is still figuring things out with the 2nd team. This shouldn't be all that surprising since O-linemen usually take time to develop, unless your Ole Miss and you just throw them to the wolves when they aren't ready.

According to some of the other MSU reporters, Dear has been working in the slot some as well. I'm certain he will be used as a RB some, but I don't know that we will use him exactly the same way we used Perkins. Unless Perkins lined up in the slot a lot more than I remember.

Todd4State
03-30-2015, 05:31 PM

The dude is just a freak of nature. Even at 230 or whatever he was or whatever his body looks like.