PDA

View Full Version : Going forward

msstate7
03-28-2015, 08:11 PM
We're now 18-11 (2-5) after starting 13-0. Are we in a funk or are we just terrible? Should we make a youth movement?

I think I would go with my upperclassmen tomorrow, but if we lose go with strictly players we know will be back. I'd rather our young guys take their lumps this year so either they'll be ready next season or we'll know they can't play.

What you guys think?

Drugdog
03-28-2015, 08:12 PM
I play young guys. No pressure. The other guys have had their chance.

DawgSaint
03-28-2015, 08:45 PM
If anybody thinks this team is "going to break out"...well forget it! We're playing our EASY part of the SEC schedule.

Homedawg
03-28-2015, 08:45 PM
What young guys? Gridley? He's playing...............Reynolds I guess, ........brown is playing......our roster is very veteran even on the bench....

cbrunt29
03-28-2015, 08:57 PM
It's kinda hard to play the "young" guys when all of our players are JUCO

msstate7
03-28-2015, 09:00 PM
What young guys? Gridley? He's playing...............Reynolds I guess, ........brown is playing......our roster is very veteran even on the bench....

C -- Collins
1b -- Waddell
2b -- holland
Ss -- gridley
3b -- spruill
Of/dh --rooker, hump, swinarski, Cody brown, smith, robson (combination of players in this group)

Relievers -- Daniel brown, Waddell, Houston, Hudson, mintz, Tatum

Midweek -- young or McCord (pitch other out of pen)

cbrunt29
03-28-2015, 09:06 PM
Humphreys should play first. Waddell's awful

JohnnyQuid
03-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Humphreys should play first. Waddell's awful

agree if youre gonna sit rea dont run waddell out there use hump, guess anything could happen but i doubt he ever plays first base as an everyday starter for this us.

Homedawg
03-28-2015, 09:25 PM
C -- Collins
1b -- Waddell
2b -- holland
Ss -- gridley
3b -- spruill
Of/dh --rooker, hump, swinarski, Cody brown, smith, robson (combination of players in this group)

Waddell is a juco. He's never going to be our everyday 1b, holland juco, spruill juco, I can go on. Point is those guys, as a whole aren't going to fix a problem, nor are the long term answer- they have a year left.

msstate7
03-28-2015, 09:30 PM
Waddell is a juco. He's never going to be our everyday 1b, holland juco, spruill juco, I can go on. Point is those guys, as a whole aren't going to fix a problem, nor are the long term answer- they have a year left.
Then cohen has taken a wrecking ball to our roster, no?

War Machine Dawg
03-28-2015, 09:39 PM
Then cohen has taken a wrecking ball to our roster, no?

Which begs the question why, in Year 7, are we still so dependent on JUCOs? I understand trying to balance the classes early on, but we should be well beyond that now. Why aren't we finding and signing quality HS players?

bulldogcountry1
03-28-2015, 09:50 PM
I wouldn't thrown in the towel just yet, as far as just shelving the seniors. Sure, things are looking pretty dire for making a regional, but it just won't be a good message to send this early. You don't want to create cancers in the locker room.

Anyone that isn't red shirting, though, should get some starts here and there the rest of the season, and they need to play their natural position.

Todd4State
03-28-2015, 10:39 PM
C -- Collins
1b -- Waddell
2b -- holland
Ss -- gridley
3b -- spruill

Honestly, that is as bad or worse than what we are putting out there now. If I was going to go young, I would put Rooker or Gordon at first over Waddell. Gridley at 2B. Our 3B and SS of the future are in HS right now. Don't think the NCAA will allow us to get them in. LOL. We could force Swinarski and Rooker to the OF and let them sink or swim.

Todd4State
03-28-2015, 10:41 PM

That's what I was thinking when I first read this post. LOL. To Gridley's credit he has looked pretty good.

Todd4State
03-28-2015, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't thrown in the towel just yet, as far as just shelving the seniors. Sure, things are looking pretty dire for making a regional, but it just won't be a good message to send this early. You don't want to create cancers in the locker room.

Anyone that isn't red shirting, though, should get some starts here and there the rest of the season, and they need to play their natural position.

I agree. We just need to go with the best guys that we can and hope for the best.

msstate7
03-28-2015, 10:56 PM
Well if we lose tomorrow, there's no reason not to start pitching our young pitchers anyway.

Swinarski, hump, and rooker should get a ton of at bats. Let hump play some 3rd and some 1st.

I'm hoping we turn it around tomorrow. If we don't though, we should turn our attention to next season and see if our young hitters/pitchers can help us or if they need to be replaced

Todd4State
03-29-2015, 12:50 AM
Well if we lose tomorrow, there's no reason not to start pitching our young pitchers anyway.

Swinarski, hump, and rooker should get a ton of at bats. Let hump play some 3rd and some 1st.

I'm hoping we turn it around tomorrow. If we don't though, we should turn our attention to next season and see if our young hitters/pitchers can help us or if they need to be replaced

I still would have a hard time sitting a guy like Vickerson, Brown, or even Michael Smith over Swinarski.

There's no point in playing Humphreys at third. We don't need to create a logjam with two power hitters when we're going to put both in the lineup at the same time anyway. It's much more beneficial to let him play the OF and let him learn what he is going to play anyway.

We should turn our attention to next season anyway. But with the fact that we have so many upperclassmen on the team, that basically means playing Ryan Gridley more. Really right now if I was Cohen I would be thinking about who I would cut in the offseason. The good news is we lose some of our "leaders"- Rea, Ross, Fitts, Heck, Britton, I think Robson will get drafted and leave probably, Vickerson, Laster, and Cody Walker. I would end the Waddell as a first baseman experiment and just let him pitch. I would probably cut either Reynolds or Spruill. I would give Swinarski a short leash. Gentry and Elliott would be on the hot seat. There are rumors that Andrew Mahoney is off the team. I would probably cut either Aaron Dominguez or Paxton Stover- probably Dominguez.

We're going to see a LOT of new faces next year. I think our class is like at 19 right now?

maroonmania
03-29-2015, 08:16 AM
The REAL sad part is that we do have a lot of veterans we will be losing this season and given how many true freshmen have ever made a significant impact for us, I don't know that I see a quick fix to this steaming mess next year just because we are getting a better class coming in. Its likely to take until they are sophomores to see things improve to any great degree without Cohen making a crucial change on his staff or philosophy in the offseason.

msstate7
03-29-2015, 08:36 AM
The REAL sad part is that we do have a lot of veterans we will be losing this season and given how many true freshmen have ever made a significant impact for us, I don't know that I see a quick fix to this steaming mess next year just because we are getting a better class coming in. Its likely to take until they are sophomores to see things improve to any great degree without Cohen making a crucial change on his staff or philosophy in the offseason.

That may be bad news for cohen. If this year finishes the way it's started and we follow it up with another terrible year next season, cohen could be gone

maroonmania
03-29-2015, 08:40 AM
That may be bad news for cohen. If this year finishes the way it's started and we follow it up with another terrible year next season, cohen could be gone

I think it would be very wise of Cohen to bring in a true hitting coach in the offseason. If he doesn't then I don't see a product next year that will be that much better than what we have now. And yes, if that's the case, Cohen will have some real problems.

GTHOM
03-29-2015, 09:34 AM
Which begs the question why, in Year 7, are we still so dependent on JUCOs? I understand trying to balance the classes early on, but we should be well beyond that now. Why aren't we finding and signing quality HS players?

i thought cohen was a good recruiter

Drugdog
03-29-2015, 10:10 AM
I think it would be very wise of Cohen to bring in a true hitting coach in the offseason. If he doesn't then I don't see a product next year that will be that much better than what we have now. And yes, if that's the case, Cohen will have some real problems.

I 100% agree. But here is the question? Do you think he will do it. Unless pressure from above comes, i dont see him changing anything. I hope i am wrong.