PDA

View Full Version : "New" Dudy Noble Will Lead to Same Results

DawgSaint
03-28-2015, 06:29 PM
The stadium will look awesome I will give you that. However, I've yet to see anybody mention a key fact. The field will be in the same place...will it not? Home plate will be in the exact spot it is now....right? It is all but certain Cohen will be around to coach in it...correct? Cohen goes out of his way to let everyone know DNF is not a hitters park. Why in the world will that change with a new stadium. I expect to see this same style offense in a 40 million dollar stadium.

starkvegasdawg
03-28-2015, 07:17 PM
It's really very simple. If we're going to look at a called 3rd strike then we're going to do it in the nicest stadium in college baseball.

Todd4State
03-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Most likely you are correct because the dimensions won't change. The only thing that I think might affect the offense is the Left Field Lofts- but that's unknown at this time because we don't know how high they are going to be or if they will really even affect anything at all.

I actually like the dimensions OK because they are similar to Omaha and Pearl. If Omaha changes, then I would be all for making changes as well.

As far as Cohen coaching in it- we don't know what will happen 2-3 years from now. I don't think there are any sacred cows at MSU right now though. That said, I think the odds are good that he will be there when it opens.

ScottH
03-28-2015, 07:34 PM
The donation component of fundraisng has to pick up. (not seat sales)

At last report, there wasn't a giving line at the door.

I was told we were hovering around 4MM pledged with a couple of 500K and 250K gifts leading the way. (Athletics better love on those folks mightily.)

This year's on field result could create some pretty strong headwinds.

I know of several folks who never missed home series that are throwing in the towel.

Todd4State
03-28-2015, 07:50 PM
The donation component of fundraisng has to pick up. (not seat sales)

At last report, there wasn't a giving line at the door.

I was told we were hovering around 4MM pledged with a couple of 500K and 250K gifts leading the way. (Athletics better love on those folks mightily.)

This year's on field result could create some pretty strong headwinds.

I know of several folks who never missed home series that are throwing in the towel.

For reference for others, we need 20 million to make this happen.

EAVdog
03-28-2015, 07:54 PM
MSU is requesting approval to issue a 40 million dollar bond to help cover the cost. What they raise above that will determine the final scope of the project. Let's just hope we don't end up like Ole Miss and the North End design of their Stadium. They were wowed with some great renderings but reality isn't those pretty pictures.

MaxedOutMaroon
03-28-2015, 11:23 PM
I went to the baseball game Friday. Many fans complaining about the renovations. Do we really need to invest 40 million in the stadium when it's full only half the season if that? Do I think there are some renovations that could take place and be very nice? Yes. I really like the new entrance design, making the lounges safer and more legit, and upgrading the bleachers. But I hear they're demolishing the entire chair back part, I don't believe that's needed. I don't think we need a glorified "hotel" in the outfield. An effective renovation in my mind would only cost 20-25 million, not 40 million. Just my opinion.

War Machine Dawg
03-28-2015, 11:34 PM
I went to the baseball game Friday. Many fans complaining about the renovations. Do we really need to invest 40 million in the stadium when it's full only half the season if that? Do I think there are some renovations that could take place and be very nice? Yes. I really like the new entrance design, making the lounges safer and more legit, and upgrading the bleachers. But I hear they're demolishing the entire chair back part, I don't believe that's needed. I don't think we need a glorified "hotel" in the outfield. An effective renovation in my mind would only cost 20-25 million, not 40 million. Just my opinion.

http://i.imgur.com/i0KwkqR.gif

Todd4State
03-29-2015, 12:34 AM

MSU fans are the only people in America that would ever complain about the nicest college baseball stadium in America being built in Starkville.

Dawg61
03-29-2015, 12:46 AM
MSU fans are the only people in America that would ever complain about the nicest college baseball stadium in America being built in Starkville.

Will the shitty tee-ball coaching look better in the new stadium too?

Todd4State
03-29-2015, 01:00 AM
Will the shitty tee-ball coaching look better in the new stadium too?

Do you think that Cohen and the stadium are mutually exclusive? If you do, you are an idiot.

The new stadium is going to be built no matter who the coach is. The stadium will more than likely be there AFTER Cohen is the coach. And I only say likely as in "in the event of a natural disaster like a tornado destroys the stadium while Cohen is the coach."

That's why it is shortsighted and idiotic to say "well, I'm not going to give money because I don't like the coach and I think he bunts too much, and bitch, bitch, bitch,..." You're only hurting MSU and the baseball program over something that has no bearing on whether Cohen coaches there or not. In fact, building a new stadium would only HELP get a new coach. Just like the practice facility that we built a couple of years ago probably didn't hurt us with getting Howland.

It's just confusing to me the way that MSU fans think sometimes.

mstatefan91
03-29-2015, 01:44 AM
Do you think that Cohen and the stadium are mutually exclusive? If you do, you are an idiot.

The new stadium is going to be built no matter who the coach is. The stadium will more than likely be there AFTER Cohen is the coach. And I only say likely as in "in the event of a natural disaster like a tornado destroys the stadium while Cohen is the coach."

That's why it is shortsighted and idiotic to say "well, I'm not going to give money because I don't like the coach and I think he bunts too much, and bitch, bitch, bitch,..." You're only hurting MSU and the baseball program over something that has no bearing on whether Cohen coaches there or not. In fact, building a new stadium would only HELP get a new coach. Just like the practice facility that we built a couple of years ago probably didn't hurt us with getting Howland.

http://m.cdn.blog.hu/ap/appleblog/image/giphy_1.gif

Boston
03-29-2015, 07:41 AM

AMEN!

State82
03-29-2015, 09:10 AM
I don't think we need a glorified "hotel" in the outfield. An effective renovation in my mind would only cost 20-25 million, not 40 million. Just my opinion.

I disagree totally. We need this whole project and we need it badly if the program is to move forward and into a position of possibly being top 5 or so in the country. And it can become that with this proposed facility. Now, whether John Cohen is the head man to take it there is debatable but regardless, we gotta do this. Cohen needs to decide pretty quickly if he's going to be the man because if he doesn't put this train back on the track soon everything is going to crumble around him.

Dawg61
03-29-2015, 09:29 AM

Who said I didn't want a new stadium? I'll take a coach that isn't Timmy from South Park first though before putting this shitstorm on display in a $40 mill stadium. Maybe the Jacksonville Jaguars should build a better Jerry's World than the Cowboys have too.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2015, 10:47 AM

+1 Well said.

I seen it dawg
03-29-2015, 12:57 PM

But that's some of our fans MO. Saw it with Ray. I don't like him so I'm done with it until he's gone. Screw the school and program. Shitty ****ing fans.

War Machine Dawg
03-29-2015, 02:38 PM

http://i.imgur.com/T40NzdX.gif

http://i.imgur.com/RSCcYCh.gif

IMissJack
03-29-2015, 04:16 PM
Like it or not, MSU is at a disadvantage the way baseball schollies are done now. Notice how many private schools are near the top now. They can come up with clever scholarships, plus give a private school education on top of it. The way it is now, I don't know if it will ever be like it used to be under Polk I.

Todd4State
03-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Like it or not, MSU is at a disadvantage the way baseball schollies are done now. Notice how many private schools are near the top now. They can come up with clever scholarships, plus give a private school education on top of it. The way it is now, I don't know if it will ever be like it used to be under Polk I.

A good bit of our players are on academic scholarships. Private schools have some advantages, but we also have some advantages that they don't. Stanford and Vanderbilt can't reasonably build a baseball stadium like ours and they don't have the fan base that we do.

I don't know if it will ever be like it was under Polk I just because of the parity in the SEC. I also don't think LSU will ever be like it was under Bertman either for the same reason.

We have to get to the point where we are bringing in classes like we are about to and stop relying so much on JUCO talent more than anything.

IMissJack
03-29-2015, 09:53 PM
Stanford and Vanderbilt can't reasonably build a baseball stadium like ours and they don't have the fan base that we do.

UCLA beat us relentlessly 2 years ago for the Nat'l championship, and their stadium may hold 1500.

engie
03-29-2015, 10:10 PM
UCLA beat us relentlessly 2 years ago for the Nat'l championship, and their stadium may hold 1500.

Which has what to do with what?

UCLA has a tremendous natural recruiting advantage in their location and proximity to talent. Also the value of the degree offered, which generally matters more to baseball players than those in other sports. We've got to overcome disadvantages. Not just sit on our hands and exploit advantages like Miami, USC, UCLA, Fullerton, Florida, etc can do. Facilities and fan support help accomplish that.

Todd4State
03-29-2015, 10:20 PM

There is no guarantee that if you do/have something that you will guarantee yourself a championship. At the same time, if you have a chance to have something good, you should still pursue it because ultimately it increases your odds of having success.

UCLA beat us because they had been to the NC series a couple of times (I think- I definitely remember once) and they had lost both times. We had never been to the NC series before ever. When you have postseason experience, that is a HUGE advantage at ANY level of baseball. IMO that's the biggest advantage a team could have. They also had two elite ace type pitchers and an ace closer- and we couldn't match it. In the 80's, LSU failed several times before winning it all. Vanderbilt failed how many times to even get to Omaha before breaking through? How many times did Ray Tanner fail in Omaha before breaking through?

I guarantee you that if you went to up to UCLA's coach right now and asked him if he would like to have MSU's stadium and fan base he would without hesitation say yes.

Us getting that far plus the fan base plus the stadium we are about to build is why we have the class coming in that we are about to get. Which is truly the first group that we have had to capitalize on our CWS trip because of our previous class being small.

Coach34
03-29-2015, 10:28 PM

Few people understand this.

engie
03-29-2015, 10:37 PM
It may not ever be like it was -- but we shouldn't artificially define that as our limitation. Nor our ultimate goal. Our goal has to be to win a title and have the best fans/facilities in the country.

Last year was disappointing. This year has been disappointing. If we don't manage to host next year, I'm going to join everyone in starting to get restless. Next year is the one that I've had circled since before this season began...

Dawg61
03-29-2015, 10:59 PM
It may not ever be like it was -- but we shouldn't artificially define that as our limitation. Nor our ultimate goal. Our goal has to be to win a title and have the best fans/facilities in the country.

Last year was disappointing. This year has been disappointing. If we don't manage to host next year, I'm going to join everyone in starting to get restless. Next year is the one that I've had circled since before this season began...

How rralistic is it for Cohen to completely change what he believes works though? I think we're just hoping he will wake up suddenly and stop teaching and demanding tee-ball tactics on the field. That's what Cohen teaches. He teaches fake bunts, draw walks, get HBP, bunt every single time, never swing for power, always try to hit with a defensive swing, and constantly changes the lineup to the tune of 81 straight games. It doesn't stop there though. He has a ****ed up approach with his pitching staff. He routinely pulls the starter after 2 or 3 innings. Never ever building his staff to be able to go deep in games. We will never see three starters go 7 or more innings three games in a row. We will never build a traditional bullpen either. Cohen ****s us on offense and pitching. It is plain as day to see. Oh yea and he's a ****ing ASSHOLE to anyone within 20 feet of him. We are going to have to get a new coach. Now comes the slow healing process that our dream wonder boy coach isn't going to get it done. I think after next year everyone will finally be ready to move on. Can Cohen stop coaching like Paul Blart within the next two years to change the momentum? Doubtful.

engie
03-29-2015, 11:08 PM
It's hard to take anything you say seriously when you start ranting about Cohen and the pitching staff. Have you paid attention to a damn thing that's happened with us over the past 7 years? When did you see Cohen make all these moves? When did Cohen last pull a starter? He doesn't. Butch has full levity over that pitching staff. So much so that he's publicly referred to as the manager of the pitching staff.

Butch hurts us so badly on pitching -- that taking the totality of everything since the rebuild was complete, including terrible arm injury luck, we have had one of the 10 best staffs in the country -- and have the #1 pitching recruiting class signed right now. Take a step back from the ledge -- you are well over into moron territory right now.

Minor philosophical hitting issues that need modification that are manifesting themselves on a higher level than the reality of the problem right now. It isn't even remotely close to "fire the coach" stage -- and anyone that thinks it is is a moron. He's been "outside the box" since day 1 -- yet people somehow think he's going to box himself in like that? Everyone needs to take a deep breath and step away for a little while.

Todd4State
03-29-2015, 11:14 PM
How rralistic is it for Cohen to completely change what he believes works though? I think we're just hoping he will wake up suddenly and stop teaching and demanding tee-ball tactics on the field. That's what Cohen teaches. He teaches fake bunts, draw walks, get HBP, bunt every single time, never swing for power, always try to hit with a defensive swing, and constantly changes the lineup to the tune of 81 straight games. It doesn't stop there though. He has a ****ed up approach with his pitching staff. He routinely pulls the starter after 2 or 3 innings. Never ever building his staff to be able to go deep in games. We will never see three starters go 7 or more innings three games in a row. We will never build a traditional bullpen either. Cohen ****s us on offense and pitching. It is plain as day to see. Oh yea and he's a ****ing ASSHOLE to anyone within 20 feet of him. We are going to have to get a new coach. Now comes the slow healing process that our dream wonder boy coach isn't going to get it done. I think after next year everyone will finally be ready to move on. Can Cohen stop coaching like Paul Blart within the next two years to change the momentum? Doubtful.

Very realistic. He changed when the bats changed and no one else did and it resulted in a trip to Omaha. He has changed his recruiting to fit the new baseball already. Offensively we got caught in a transition year. We are likely to get an upgrade at third base with Riley next year from a power standpoint to go along with either Rooker/Gordon/Lowe at first and we will still have Collins and Humprheys back for their junior years. I don't know if we will get Pickett or not, but he's hitting .278 right now so maybe we do get him after all.

And why anyone would be pissed off at how we handled the pitching staff is beyond me. A BIG reason we were successful the past two years was the willingness to be unconventional and pitch Girodo and Lindgren for long outings out of the pen when 95% of baseball coaches wouldn't have been willing to do so. This year with a much weaker pen and a stronger starting rotation he has switched back to a more conventional approach. And I have to wonder how much of our bullpen struggles were due to Fitts being injured- especially in light of how he looked today.

And who cares if he is an asshole? Only in Mississippi is being nice a factor in your job performance.

Dawg61
03-29-2015, 11:23 PM
It's hard to take anything you say seriously when you start ranting about Cohen and the pitching staff. Have you paid attention to a damn thing that's happened with us over the past 7 years? When did you see Cohen make all these moves? When did Cohen last pull a starter? He doesn't. Butch has full levity over that pitching staff. So much so that he's publicly referred to as the manager of the pitching staff.

Butch hurts us so badly on pitching -- that taking the totality of everything since the rebuild was complete, including terrible arm injury luck, we have had one of the 10 best staffs in the country -- and have the #1 pitching recruiting class signed right now. Take a step back from the ledge -- you are well over into moron territory right now.

Minor philosophical hitting issues that need modification that are manifesting themselves on a higher level than the reality of the problem right now. It isn't even remotely close to "fire the coach" stage -- and anyone that thinks it is is a moron. He's been "outside the box" since day 1 -- yet people somehow think he's going to box himself in like that? Everyone needs to take a deep breath and step away for a little while.

Fair point about the pitching. I went too far with that one. We did have a nasty staff last year.