PDA

View Full Version : Found a little tidbit that might be helpful to some....

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 12:49 PM
check this out:

http://www.unc.edu/~tparent/validityhandoutLOGIC.html

Note that among these, valid arguments are not "my argument counts because I have a high post count," "my argument counts because I'm in the bulldog club," "my argument counts because I know a whole GD lot about this given sport," or "my argument counts because I travel all over the country watching college and semi-pro sports." Not even "my argument counts because you are a the worst poster in the history of message boards" or "my argument counts because I like to back-pat on engie." Those are all red herrings.

I've noticed a good bit of this, so there. That's my $.02.

Now, proceed to blast me. I probably deserve it. Certainly "my argument counts because John Cohen said it" is not on the list, either. But don't forget, John Cohen is somewhat of a shaman (a member of certain tribal societies who acts as a medium between the visible world and an invisible spirit world and who practices magic or sorcery for purposes of healing, divination, and control over natural events). So I'll take a sorcerer's word over a bulldog club member's word any day of the week.

You don't have to like it. Go ahead and exclude if you wish. Just know that there is at least one among you, currently at least, who doesn't play the backpat game and is willing to call it like he sees it.

CadaverDawg
06-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Does it say anything about valid arguments having facts? Because yours rarely have those.

And we are not surprised that you resorted to your usual "Cohens does this so I'll side with Cohens" mantra.

Nobody is wanting to exclude you or bash you, but when you argue facts with tangents and by changing the subject, it makes you look foolish. And also, nobody gets a back pat for any reason except for them being right. Maybe you should look at things for what they are, and quit thinking everyone is against you. It's nothing personal, it's just that we disagree with you and typically have stats and facts to show why you're wrong.

By the way, if you will look back at why your arguments go South, it starts by you taking someone's facts or opinion and calling them "asswhipe" or "Son!", which typically means you know you are wrong.

ETA: And the whole "post count" thing, is something you made up bc nobody ever talks post count over here. So it sounds whiny, much like your entire post above. Man up and start backing up your arguments with facts, and I promise you probably won't have to start a thread like this again.

engie
06-28-2013, 01:00 PM
What is this gibberish?

How about -- "My argument counts because I put alot of effort and thought into what I'm doing -- and I've got a history of being right more often than I'm wrong".

What makes you think anyone on here cares about "pats on the back"? When the majority agrees, they will say they agree. I don't pretend to mold the perception -- I just speak my mind. Sometimes people agree. Sometimes they don't. If I cared about such things, I would be bumping all the "call out" threads on SPS from early in the season for me thinking--and constantly arguing-- that this baseball team was the best we'd had in years.

That actually started from the first preseason poll and lasted through the Ole Miss series... Strange that no one has come back and said they were wrong...

FISHDAWG
06-28-2013, 01:38 PM
screw post counts - show me your V-cash **

Hump4Hoops
06-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Who are you and why should i give a shit?

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Does it say anything about valid arguments having facts? Because yours rarely have those.

And we are not surprised that you resorted to your usual "Cohens does this so I'll side with Cohens" mantra.

Nobody is wanting to exclude you or bash you, but when you argue facts with tangents and by changing the subject, it makes you look foolish. And also, nobody gets a back pat for any reason except for them being right. Maybe you should look at things for what they are, and quit thinking everyone is against you. It's nothing personal, it's just that we disagree with you and typically have stats and facts to show why you're wrong.

By the way, if you will look back at why your arguments go South, it starts by you taking someone's facts or opinion and calling them "asswhipe" or "Son!", which typically means you know you are wrong.

ETA: And the whole "post count" thing, is something you made up bc nobody ever talks post count over here. So it sounds whiny, much like your entire post above. Man up and start backing up your arguments with facts, and I promise you probably won't have to start a thread like this again.

Don't talk to me that way, son! Cohens would not be happy about this. Wait till he hears...he hears everything!

Now work on that logic, young man. That's the point. No more red herrings...that's the only thing that would stop another post like this!

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Who are you and why should i give a shit?

I'm your daddy, and don't you forget it!

hometowndawg
06-28-2013, 02:15 PM
So if Jim likes Jill and Jane.
Jim doesn't like James.
What does it take for a 3some?

CadaverDawg
06-28-2013, 02:20 PM
So if Jim likes Jill and Jane.
Jim doesn't like James.
What does it take for a 3some?

Haha, reminds me of one of those radio commercials...I forget the company it's for, but goes something like this:

If 2+2 equals 4, and Vegetable is the soup of the day at your local Chili's.......What is the color of your unborn child's hair?

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 03:03 PM
it must be added to the list:

"your argument is a dud because you are a closet black bear fan" (akin to the "red scare" movement in the US back in the 50's...McCartheyism or whatever)

this, too, is an argument that is devoid of logic and is a red herring.

SignalToNoise
06-28-2013, 03:33 PM

Here are the various "levels" of argument. Most threads I read range from counter-argument and down. Lots of name-calling and ad hominem attacks.

Just my observation, but engie usually backs his posts up with factual information, usually statistics. This usually gets him a "You're douche shut up with your gay stats!!"

I know message boards are rarely hangouts for Mensa-level IQs, but sometimes the stuff I read makes me wonder how stupid some people really are.

hometowndawg
06-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Sandman you are killing me today. Between this thread and your whole Oxford is greater than Starkville posts, you are unbearable today. Go get yourself a strong drink or two tonight and then once you're feeling better come apologize to everyone because Cohen said so...

LiterallyPolice
06-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Hey, I've got a little logic game for you. I'll give you a couple of premises, and let's see if you can come to a logical conclusion:

PREMISE 1: People who refer to themselves as "sophisticated" are douchenozzles
PREMISE 2: Sandman14 refers to himself as "sophisticated"

Therefore....

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 04:16 PM
This thread is actually getting pretty good. Nice work going on in here. Really would like to see some building upon what LiterallyPolice has going...there are endless possibilities..

It is quite funny to read how biased some MSU fans are. But don't worry, until you terminate me at least, you'll have at least one realist here to set you straight when you get too far out there (such as when you claim Starkville is a better city than Oxford...that one is hilarious to the entire world except biased MSU fan).

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Sandman you are killing me today. Between this thread and your whole Oxford is greater than Starkville posts, you are unbearable today. Go get yourself a strong drink or two tonight and then once you're feeling better come apologize to everyone because Cohen said so...

this guy is from Starkville apparently...what a surprise...

LiterallyPolice
06-28-2013, 04:26 PM
this guy is from Starkville apparently...what a surprise...

You don't seem to be understanding what is happening here... which isn't all too surprising.

You aren't unbearable because you think Oxford is better than Starkville.

You are unbearable because you preach logic, and then say
"Oxford is a much better place than Starkville... That's a fact."

Oh, the irony.

And, because you called yourself "sophisticated". Pretty douchenozzle-esque.

EDIT: AND because you keep calling everything a red herring. You obviously learned that term today.

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Oh I understand. I'm orchestrating it. You are the victim.

Oxford is a much better city than Starkville. While you can characterize Jackson as a better City than Rome, Italy, you'd be wrong. It's a fact. Rome is a better city than Jackson. Now, is the disparity as clear between Starkville and Oxford? Nope. But it's still stark enough to go ahead and say that it's a fact Oxford is a better city than Starkville. You seem foolish to argue the other way around. So yes, it is open to opinion. But no, I'm not going to let you fool yourself that your home town is actually better than Oxford.

Did I call myself sophisticated? Don't think that I did. Maybe I'm wrong. I thought I said something to the effect that sophisticated folks would all agree in unison that Oxford is a better city...or that you are unsophisticated if you don't agree...something along those lines. And for a redneck from Starkville like yourself, that really hurt your feelings. Because you know that you yourself are, indeed, unsophisticated and that you actually believe the lie you keep telling yourself.

Red herrings are red herrings....go figure (but don't hurt yourself while trying to do so, Literal).

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 04:40 PM
BOOM

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Take it somewhere else...move along.