PDA

View Full Version : Howland Vist w/ Malik

Big4Dawg
03-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Stolen from "dawgsfinnaeat1" on 247: Just passing this along. Take it for what it's worth but I received this info from a basketball coach in the Jackson area that's familar with Malik. During his visit at some point Howland told Malik that he coached a guy very similar to him (malik) that's about to be named the MVP of the NBA, then Howland said let's call him up and see what he thinks you need to do next year. Howland then calls Russell Westbrook and puts him on speaker phone and he talked to Malik for several minutes about playing for Coach Howland and how he believed Howland would get him to where he wants to be and so on.

BeardoMSU
03-28-2015, 09:06 AM
I hope that's true. Holy shit that would be bad ass.

messageboardsuperhero
03-28-2015, 09:06 AM
If true, that's awesome.

I know if I were a 5* combo guard, that would go a long way with me.

coastratdog
03-28-2015, 09:11 AM
Just curious, is that an NCAA recruitment violation?

msstate7
03-28-2015, 09:16 AM

Nba guard isn't affiliated with state

msstate7
03-28-2015, 09:26 AM
I was skeptical of this bc of nba teams playing during the time of an in home visit. There was only 1 nba game thurs night between Indiana and Milwaukee

messageboardsuperhero
03-28-2015, 10:12 AM

I don't really see how it could be, since Westbrook isn't an MSU booster or affiliated with the university in any way.

WinningIsRelentless
03-28-2015, 10:17 AM

Only our damn fans would be stupid enough to ask if something was a violation.
Yall wonder why mississippi pushes the limits and get away with it, it is because they don't ask questions in public forums.

Just damn

ScottH
03-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Yall wonder why mississippi pushes the limits and get away with it, it is because they don't ask questions in public forums.

Just damn

Spot on.

There are days we can't get out of our own way.

HailState39110
03-28-2015, 10:36 AM

Bad boys .Bad boys. whatcha gonna do. whatcha gonna do when Bracky comes for you

BeardoMSU
03-28-2015, 10:39 AM

There is a minimum post count you must amass before you can bring forth such inquiries****

messageboardsuperhero
03-28-2015, 10:40 AM

Just damn

Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

preachermatt83
03-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Wow!! I hope that's true.

coastratdog
03-28-2015, 11:09 AM

Just damn

Only our damn fans would post a violation on a public forum.

Only our damn fans would think they are too cute to try and turn a simple question into a "Look how much a smart ass I am"
post on a public forum.

Rebel troll.

Coach34
03-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Some people just ask things because they dont keep up with things as much as others. It's in no way a violation- Westbrook never attended Miss State

WinningIsRelentless
03-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Only our damn fans would post a violation on a public forum.

Only our damn fans would think they are too cute to try and turn a simple question into a "Look how much a smart ass I am"
post on a public forum.

Rebel troll.

Far from a rebel troll. Proud grad from state their buddy. Use common sense and don't post crap like that to have people to run with it.

coastratdog
03-28-2015, 11:54 AM
Far from a rebel troll. Proud grad from state their buddy. Use common sense and don't post crap like that to have people to run with it.

Maybe you should use common sense and not get into a pissing match on a public forum
with someone who has TWO degrees from said school.

Dawg61
03-28-2015, 11:56 AM

Maybe you should use common sense and not get into a pissing match on a public forum
with someone who has TWO degrees from said school.

Maybe both of y'all should just piss on Homedawg instead

WinningIsRelentless
03-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Maybe both of y'all should just piss on Homedawg instead

He might get off on that stuff like Michael phelps

War Machine Dawg
03-28-2015, 12:25 PM

http://i.imgur.com/tVMM5m5.gif

WinningIsRelentless
03-28-2015, 12:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tVMM5m5.gif

Oh that is going to get a response from a guy with TWO degrees from state!

Coach34
03-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Let's back to being excited about Malik strongly leaning our way

BeardoMSU
03-28-2015, 01:17 PM
Let's back to being excited about Malik strongly leaning our way

Yes, let us.

So back on subject, adding Malik and the JC Big to the current class, what will mean for roster spots on the team? Who's getting walking papers?

smootness
03-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Yes, let us.

So back on subject, adding Malik and the JC Big to the current class, what will mean for roster spots on the team? Who's getting walking papers?

I'll be honest, I don't like the speculation. I just hope it's not anyone from the current class or any would-be seniors. Also hope it's not Houston. Not a whole lot of options left after that.

War Machine Dawg
03-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Yes, let us.

I'll be honest, I don't like the speculation. I just hope it's not anyone from the current class or any would-be seniors. Also hope it's not Houston. Not a whole lot of options left after that.

You gotta think it's Endo and Dunlap. Endo is a disaster and Dunlap is small. We'll already be small enough with Ready and Tookie, assuming we keep Tookie.

maroonmania
03-28-2015, 01:33 PM
You gotta think it's Endo and Dunlap. Endo is a disaster and Dunlap is small. We'll already be small enough with Ready and Tookie, assuming we keep Tookie.

You read my mind. It would be nuts IMO to keep Dunlap at the expense of losing Tookie and if you bring in another Big then I would think Ndoye would be first post player out. But Howland is the one who knows what he wants his team to look like.

yjnkdawg
03-28-2015, 02:11 PM

I can't see it being Houston as he has a lot of potential and good work ethic.

High School
-As a senior, averaged 19 points, 14 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals.
-Tabbed the 6A Alabama Player of the Year and Metro MVP.
-Carver finished 24-5 and lost to Mountain Brook in the semifinals of Class 6A Final Four, 49-38.
-In the semi-final game, Houston had a game-high 16 points to go along with his 7 rebounds and 3 steals.
-Selected to play in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game and finished with 9 points and 3 rebounds.

I seen it dawg
03-28-2015, 02:58 PM
In Howland we trust. I don't care what he does to the roster. He has my faith.

Coach34
03-28-2015, 03:32 PM
Houston is going to be one of our 3 or 4 best players- he aint going anywhere

Treemydawg
03-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Houston is going to be one of our 3 or 4 best players- he aint going anywhere

Not trying to be a smartass. I hope you are right coach, maybe this won't turn out like the RR will be back 100% prediction.

CrookedLetta
03-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Why are people speculating Tookie won't be on the team? Seems pretty nuts to me.

chef dixon
03-28-2015, 04:19 PM
Why are people speculating Tookie won't be on the team? Seems pretty nuts to me.
I agree. He doesn't have much better options currently. I think it'll be up to howland

Dawg61
03-28-2015, 04:35 PM

I will be pissed if we lose Tookie. He's already better than IJ right now. Be very stupid to let him get away.

mic
03-28-2015, 04:45 PM
In Howland we trust. I don't care what he does to the roster. He has my faith.

Exactly ...

maroonmania
03-28-2015, 04:54 PM
I will be pissed if we lose Tookie. He's already better than IJ right now. Be very stupid to let him get away.

If we don't keep Tookie and do keep Dunlap I will be pissed.

Brad Stevens
03-28-2015, 05:18 PM
Tookie is an undersized 1, and Dunlap is an undersized 2. If we land Newman, I'm okay with either of them moving on. However, I'm in the minority and would rather have Dunlap personally. All we know is a lot can (and probably will) change in the next 2 or 3 months.

msstate7
03-28-2015, 05:30 PM
Tookie is an undersized 1, and Dunlap is an undersized 2. If we land Newman, I'm okay with either of them moving on. However, I'm in the minority and would rather have Dunlap personally. All we know is a lot can (and probably will) change in the next 2 or 3 months.

Malik is a 1-year player. Tookie could RS and help us down the line

Brad Stevens
03-28-2015, 05:36 PM
Malik is a 1-year player. Tookie could RS and help us down the line

I believe Dunlap will help us more than Tookie. Obviously, I am in the minority on this board. I see Dunlap as a combo guard who can easily transition to the 1 to give us more length and shooting from that spot. I do realize health is a concern, though.

defiantdog
03-28-2015, 05:45 PM
Howland has already out recruited Ray. Who else is ready to be relevant in basketball again?

Dawg61
03-28-2015, 05:53 PM
I believe Dunlap will help us more than Tookie. Obviously, I am in the minority on this board. I see Dunlap as a combo guard who can easily transition to the 1 to give us more length and shooting from that spot. I do realize health is a concern, though.

Tookie has potential to be the best PG ever at MSU. He shouldn't even be considered as a potential drop. Have you guys watched any games of his? He'd be our third best player the second he steps on campus.

Brad Stevens
03-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Tookie has potential to be the best PG ever at MSU. He shouldn't even be considered as a potential drop. Have you guys watched any games of his? He'd be our third best player the second he steps on campus.

You're kidding, right?

msstate7
03-28-2015, 05:56 PM
You're kidding, right?

I believe tookie is superior to ready right now

Dawg61
03-28-2015, 06:04 PM
You're kidding, right?

Nope. Tookie is that good. I'm confident.

Brad Stevens
03-28-2015, 06:06 PM
I believe tookie is superior to ready right now

He very well may be. However, could be best ever according to 61? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only other scholarship offer I can find on him is to UAB. He is 5 ft 10 and playing against similar sized players in all of his highlights. It doesn't take much foresight that calling him "possibly one of the best ever" as a slightly premature statement.

msstate7
03-28-2015, 06:06 PM
Keep an eye on ready. With Malik guaranteed pg and tookie committed, ready might transfer out. Pure speculation...

Brad Stevens
03-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Nope. Tookie is that good. I'm confident.

And I'm confident I'd rather have Dunlap than Tookie (if it came down to that). However, I see nothing in them that convinces me either of them will be the best ever. Your prior basketball knowledge sure won't sway me, either.

Brad Stevens
03-28-2015, 06:11 PM
Keep an eye on ready. With Malik guaranteed pg and tookie committed, ready might transfer out. Pure speculation...

I wouldn't be surprised by that.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-28-2015, 06:12 PM

I'd be very very surprised by that.

Dawg61
03-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Your prior basketball knowledge sure won't sway me, either.

Remember who you're talking to Brad. I'm the guy that was screaming for three years to get Ray fired. You're the other guy.

Brad Stevens
03-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Remember who you're talking to Brad. I'm the guy that was screaming for three years to get Ray fired. You're the other guy.

You screamed for lots of things, and thankfully this administration showed patience until the proper time. I never screamed for Ray to stay - I simply said he deserved his 3rd year. I also said if he didn't make the NIT or win 9-10 conference games, it's probably time to move on. Well here we are with Coach Howland, so I think we should both be okay with that scenario, right?

mic
03-28-2015, 06:37 PM
And I'm confident I'd rather have Dunlap than Tookie (if it came down to that). However, I see nothing in them that convinces me either of them will be the best ever. Your prior basketball knowledge sure won't sway me, either.

Welcome back Brad Stevens...

mic
03-28-2015, 06:38 PM
You screamed for lots of things, and thankfully this administration showed patience until the proper time. I never screamed for Ray to stay - I simply said he deserved his 3rd year. I also said if he didn't make the NIT or win 9-10 conference games, it's probably time to move on. Well here we are with Coach Howland, so I think we should both be okay with that scenario, right?

Again welcome back Brad...

Dawg61
03-28-2015, 06:42 PM

I remeber two things I screamed most for. 1. Forced positive attrition and 2. Ray gone. Which I find ironic because we're posting in a thread talking about whose going to be the forced attrition. But you're right I am very ecstatic we landed Howland!

smootness
03-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Tookie is a stud, and he has far more potential than Dunlap. Dunlap will never be a PG, and he's too small to routinely play the 2, especially without great athleticism.

My only question on Tookie is whether he's big enough for what Howland wants at PG. But if he isn't big enough at the 1, then Dunlap certainly isn't big enough at the 2.

As others have said, though, I trust Howland.

mic
03-28-2015, 06:49 PM
if IJ stays and I'm pretty sure he will, a lot of you may be eating your words on the play of IJ... Everyone knows ALL of the turnover issues we had last year.. I think IJ was like 6th or 7th on the team in that department..
Get him in an offense where he can distrubte the ball to scores like Malik and sword which will lead to him getting more open shots..
And the notion that Tookie is already better than IJ is jumping the gun a lot. Hopefully he will come , and if he doesn't that tells me all I need to know about him... He isn't as good as advertised.. No way that kid wouldn't want to play for Coach Howland esp with the few offers he has.. And CBH may not really want him.. Who knows time will tell.
It's also funny all the hate IJ takes for being 5'10 and "supposedly" can't be play defense.. ( led team in steals) I think Tookie is about the same size...

BullDog
03-28-2015, 06:56 PM

Exactly! State fans are tough to digest! Extremely tough. Coach will be in home with tookie tomorrow.

Dawg61
03-28-2015, 07:05 PM
if IJ stays and I'm pretty sure he will, a lot of you may be eating your words on the play of IJ... Everyone knows ALL of the turnover issues we had last year.. I think IJ was like 6th or 7th on the team in that department..
Get him in an offense where he can distrubte the ball to scores like Malik and sword which will lead to him getting more open shots..
And the notion that Tookie is already better than IJ is jumping the gun a lot. Hopefully he will come , and if he doesn't that tells me all I need to know about him... He isn't as good as advertised.. No way that kid wouldn't want to play for Coach Howland esp with the few offers he has.. And CBH may not really want him.. Who knows time will tell.
It's also funny all the hate IJ takes for being 5'10 and "supposedly" can't be play defense.. ( led team in steals) I think Tookie is about the same size...

Again with the IJ defense. I'm not fired up for Tookie's defense. I'm sure it's no worse than IJ's. Please do not regurgitate IJ Ready defensive stats.

mic
03-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Again with the IJ defense. I'm not fired up for Tookie's defense. I'm sure it's no worse than IJ's. Please do not regurgitate IJ Ready defensive stats.

I'm just trying to follow you.. If IJ size was ur biggest issue Tookie is the same size..
I hope Tookie turns out to be Stephen Curry.. I am just saying lets pump the brakes on him a little..

Brad Stevens
03-28-2015, 07:29 PM
I'm just trying to follow you.. If IJ size was ur biggest issue Tookie is the same size..
I hope Tookie turns out to be Stephen Curry.. I am just saying lets pump the brakes on him a little..

Except Stephen Curry is 6 foot 3.

I think most people see high school highlights and forget they will be playing against much bigger players at the D-1 level. Maybe Tookie does come in and succeed - I am just saying I have no proof of that based upon his opponents in his film. I personally would rather NOT have 2 sub-6-foot PGs.

maroonmania
03-28-2015, 07:48 PM
Tookie is a stud, and he has far more potential than Dunlap. Dunlap will never be a PG, and he's too small to routinely play the 2, especially without great athleticism.

My only question on Tookie is whether he's big enough for what Howland wants at PG. But if he isn't big enough at the 1, then Dunlap certainly isn't big enough at the 2.

As others have said, though, I trust Howland.

For the life of me I don't know why anyone would want Dunlap over Tookie. Dunlap was questionable when we took him as an undersized shooting guard who played at a smaller MS HS. Tookie averaged 30 points/game at a mid-level GA HS and led his team to championships. The few games Dunlap played this year he looked somewhat lost on the court and didn't shoot the ball very well which was suppose to be his strength. They are both undersized but I don't see what Dunlap has shown that would make anyone want him over Tookie if they have actually seen Tookie play.

smootness
03-28-2015, 07:52 PM
I just have a few comments based on several different posts in this thread.

I do not want Ready to go anywhere. I love Tookie's potential, but he is not better than Ready right now, at least in certain areas.

Tookie, however, is bigger than Ready. He's not taller than Ready, but he is definitely bigger.

Ready's defense is much better than a lot of State fans believe. Tookie played very good defense and gave great effort from what I saw of him.

Tookie's height is a real question mark. Of course he played against smaller players than he'll see on the next level, but that's true of everyone. He will be able to score in college basketball. He won't be able to do everything he currently does at the rim, but he will still do a lot of it. 3A in Georgia is far from a joke; there is plenty of quality there. Tookie would play a big role for us right away, especially if we don't get Newman.

Again, the only question on Tookie for me is if Howland is ok with a PG of that size. He may want a big guy to be able to defend more effectively.

mic
03-28-2015, 08:03 PM
Except Stephen Curry is 6 foot 3.

I think most people see high school highlights and forget they will be playing against much bigger players at the D-1 level. Maybe Tookie does come in and succeed - I am just saying I have no proof of that based upon his opponents in his film. I personally would rather NOT have 2 sub-6-foot PGs.

Maybe I should have said the scorer that Steph Curry is..
I was aware that Steph isn't 5'10..

Brad Stevens
03-28-2015, 08:09 PM
I guess my biggest thing is not that I'm opposed to a small PG; I just don't know if having two 5'10" PGs is what we really want. It seems that at least one of them would HAVE to go if we bring in Malik. And maybe I'm just too optimistic - but, I can see how all our current players and signees could succeed with Coach Howland, but we can't keep them all. Either way, Howland will work it out and I'm pumped to see the product on the court next year.

msstate7
03-28-2015, 08:13 PM
This whole argument could be a complete waste of time considering Malik and kasongo aren't even commits at this point

smootness
03-28-2015, 08:16 PM
I don't think you should base any decisions about the future roster on Newman.

If Newman comes and you drop Tookie, then in 2016 you have Ready as a Sr and no other PG. At least we have Weatherspoon and Simonds, who we should get back, at SG.

Brad Stevens
03-28-2015, 08:16 PM
This whole argument could be a complete waste of time considering Malik and kasongo aren't even commits at this point

Haha, great point. Let's get back on topic. Has anyone heard any more news from the home visit?

smootness
03-28-2015, 08:17 PM

Agreed.

I saw an article today listing out the reasoning for him picking UK, State, or LSU, and the case for LSU is still really strong. Newman was quoted, too, saying he wants to play with other great players, he wants to win, and he doesn't want to have to shoulder the load.

I know we have a strong pitch, too, but I think it's still far from a done deal.

MabenMaroon
03-28-2015, 10:40 PM
Could somebody refresh my memory on this, but wasn't the reason IJ came to us in the first place, was because of a very close relationship between his father and one of our now 'former' asst, coaches?

Jack Lambert
03-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Some people just ask things because they dont keep up with things as much as others. It's in no way a violation- Westbrook never attended Miss State

Sometimes they are trolls.

ScottH
03-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Could somebody refresh my memory on this, but wasn't the reason IJ came to us in the first place, was because of a very close relationship between his father and one of our now 'former' asst, coaches?

I think he was coached by Wes Flanigan's father at Little Rock Parkview.

Dawg61
03-28-2015, 11:07 PM

Ready is a good player. He's not bottom two on the team. We need Strugg's size with Roq leaving and Ware, Zuppardo, Fred and Daniels soon too. Ndoye is a wasted spot. He is one for sure. I think I'd drop Daniels. He's gone in a year anyways. Dunlap's ability to shoot and having four years left is more valuable than the one year left Daniels has. Tough choices. Gets much harder the better we get to force transition but it's a necessary evil to being good.

smootness
03-28-2015, 11:30 PM
I think I'd drop Daniels. He's gone in a year anyways.

This is exactly why I don't want to drop any of the seniors. We get their spot open next year anyway, and it will be much easier to fill it with a quality player than scrambling around now.

I'd rather have a year to get as many good players as we can than to fill that spot with an Ndoye-type, or another Daniels, and be stuck with that for the next several years.

Dawg61
03-28-2015, 11:49 PM
This is exactly why I don't want to drop any of the seniors. We get their spot open next year anyway, and it will be much easier to fill it with a quality player than scrambling around now.

I'd rather have a year to get as many good players as we can than to fill that spot with an Ndoye-type, or another Daniels, and be stuck with that for the next several years.

Newman and Kasongo aren't Ndoye-type.