PDA

View Full Version : Want to feel old fast?

BrunswickDawg
03-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Want to feel old fast? Take your teenage child on their first "official visit" and tour the campus. Upside? My girl says State is her #1 choice.

Political Hack
03-27-2015, 02:40 PM
want to feel disappointed by our university fast?

My nephew got accepted to Harvard and is damn near going to go there for free. He also got a full ride offer from Ole Miss, accepted to Vandy, etc...

State gave him nothing.

msstate7
03-27-2015, 02:42 PM

My nephew got accepted to Harvard and is damn near going to go there for free. He also got a full ride offer from Ole Miss, accepted to Vandy, etc...

State gave him nothing.

We have higher standards than Harvard and vandy**

starkvegasdawg
03-27-2015, 02:51 PM
I do that every time I go to Kroger here in Starkville.

Liverpooldawg
03-27-2015, 02:54 PM
Want to feel old fast? Take your teenage child on their first "official visit" and tour the campus. Upside? My girl says State is her #1 choice.

Happened to me last year. If all you had done on campus in a while is go to games you really don't know how much it's changed overall it was amazing.

Liverpooldawg
03-27-2015, 02:56 PM

State gave him nothing.
You have to pursue it. They aren't going to knock down your door with money even if you have a high ACT.

BrunswickDawg
03-27-2015, 03:06 PM
Happened to me last year. If all you had done on campus in a while is go to games you really don't know how much it's changed overall it was amazing.
Definitely. The housing is a huge difference. Come a long way from the hell hole known as Seesums and the boomerangs.

And Hack - our student recruitment has always been hit and miss, but I hear the same thing about other schools too.

Aces High
03-27-2015, 03:13 PM

State gave him nothing.

Maybe the last name got red flagged.

Original48
03-27-2015, 03:24 PM
That was good.

Dallas_Dawg
03-27-2015, 04:04 PM
I do that every time I go to Kroger here in Starkville.

What's the Kroger story?

Political Hack
03-27-2015, 04:21 PM

different name, but they know you and I are boys.

And he did apply for a full ride and got rejected. He'd probably have gone to Harvard regardless, but it's sort of dumb when the university doesn't take an opportunity to attach it's logo to a kid like that.

gravedigger
03-27-2015, 04:34 PM
That is amazing! You mean you had your child actually come to the campus? Congratulations.

I, myself will be taking a different approach. The plan is to sit on my fanny and hold my golden childs hand until the ressurected Stephen D. Lee personally shows up in my living room begging to pay me for the honor of letting said perfect little angel get an education.

Political Hack
03-27-2015, 04:46 PM
That is amazing! You mean you had your child actually come to the campus? Congratulations.

I, myself will be taking a different approach. The plan is to sit on my fanny and hold my golden childs hand until the ressurected Stephen D. Lee personally shows up in my living room begging to pay me for the honor of letting said perfect little angel get an education.

or you could take him to do interviews on campus, apply for scholarships, meet with academic advisors in his areas of interest, and then get rejected and go to Harvard instead. That plan will probably work out better than yours.

BrunswickDawg
03-27-2015, 05:06 PM
What's the Kroger story?

I would imagine it is "damn, girls didn't look that hot and dress that skimpy when I was in school"

Dawgowar
03-27-2015, 05:14 PM

State gave him nothing.

Can your nephew kick FG's or Bunt?

coastratdog
03-28-2015, 06:48 AM
Hack,
Sounds like ur nephew is a liberals arts type major. My guess is that MSU (A&M) only has so much money and we probably don't put much emphasis in that area.

starkvegasdawg
03-28-2015, 08:14 AM
What's the Kroger story?

Spring time...weather getting warm...and the shorts get shorter and the tank tops neckline keeps lowering. Then I remember I'm 20+ years older than all of them.

Political Hack
03-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Hack,
Sounds like ur nephew is a liberals arts type major. My guess is that MSU (A&M) only has so much money and we probably don't put much emphasis in that area.

that could very well be it and I honestly hadn't thought of that before. He's interested in international business. Already fluent in Spanish, 34 ACT, 4.0, #1 in his class, and starting OT for a 6A public school, but sadly he can't bunt or kick FGs.

SheltonChoked
03-28-2015, 08:50 AM
State has scholorships for each of those items, but you have to apply for them.

And very few pay the full price for Harvard. And those that do can afford it. Or so my Harvard undergrad friends tell me

SheltonChoked
03-28-2015, 08:51 AM
That's awesome Brunswick.

I had the same result in the fall.

Liverpooldawg
03-28-2015, 08:56 AM
We only give 12 official full rides per class. Those kids can go anywhere. My son wasn't one of the 24 that made the first cut for that. When it was all said and done though he wound up very close to a full ride. The key is stacking up multiple partial scholarships. You have to work at it. It took a lot of time and and a lot of persistence but it paid off.