PDA

View Full Version : I've been reading the UM boards...

Liverpooldawg
03-27-2015, 12:22 PM
to see what they are saying about their chancellor. How many times over the years did an UM dominated board refuse to hire our preferred candidate for our head man? I can certainly remember a couple at least. I don't remember this big an uproar about it though. Maybe there was and I just missed it. I'm just glad it's not us this time.

MadDawg
03-27-2015, 12:34 PM
And didn't we go for a while one time without a president at all? Can't really remember why or if the IHL was responsible, but I remember us getting screwed over a couple times during that time span because we didn't even have a president to fight for us.

yjnkdawg
03-27-2015, 12:38 PM
And didn't we go for a while one time without a president at all? Can't really remember why or if the IHL was responsible, but I remember us getting screwed over a couple times during that time span because we didn't even have a president to fight for us.

You know after you mentioned this, I think I remember we did too. However, I can't remember any specifics on it.

War Machine Dawg
03-27-2015, 01:03 PM
You know after you mentioned this, I think I remember we did too. However, I can't remember any specifics on it.

We basically had an "interim" who didn't want the job permanently, but the IHL named him president anyway. That was Dr. Lee, when I was in school. We were trying to get Keenum then, but naming Dr. Lee was the IHL's way of shafting us. Same thing with Foglesong, a purely political move to keep us from having Keenum.

The whole concept of the IHL is awful. It's simply a way for "Mississippi" to control who becomes president of all the universities in the state. It needs to be abolished and a Board of Directors/Trustees/whatever for each school be allowed to choose its own president. It's a conflict of interest for UM grads to be deciding who becomes president at MSU, USM, etc. just as much as it's a conflict of interest for MSU alums to decide who becomes president at UM, USM, etc. It's just an entirely ridiculous and blatant attempt for Little Sister to control the state in perpetuity. Every school should be able to pick its own president, period.

yjnkdawg
03-27-2015, 01:12 PM
The whole concept of the IHL is awful. It's simply a way for "Mississippi" to control who becomes president of all the universities in the state. It needs to be abolished and a Board of Directors/Trustees/whatever for each school be allowed to choose its own president. It's a conflict of interest for UM grads to be deciding who becomes president at MSU, USM, etc. just as much as it's a conflict of interest for MSU alums to decide who becomes president at UM, USM, etc. It's just an entirely ridiculous and blatant attempt for Little Sister to control the state in perpetuity. Every school should be able to pick its own president, period.

I agree totally with what you said. All it is now is a political circus.

DancingRabbit
03-27-2015, 01:25 PM
We basically had an "interim" who didn't want the job permanently, but the IHL named him president anyway. That was Dr. Lee, when I was in school. We were trying to get Keenum then, but naming Dr. Lee was the IHL's way of shafting us. Same thing with Foglesong, a purely political move to keep us from having Keenum.

Seems like UMMC is the wild card here.

"Perry (IHL vice-chairman) said had the Board only considered the Oxford campus, Jones would have had his contract renewed. But failures in financial controls, violations of Board policies and mismanagement of contracts and finances at UMMC had not been addressed to the Board's satisfaction."

http://onlinemadison.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=3&ArticleID=29973

AROB44
03-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Read this re Alabama's Board of Trustees. Do you really want OM and MSU to end up like this?

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/03/paul_bryant_jrs_bank_is_the_ti.html

Alldawg
03-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Read this re Alabama's Board of Trustees. Do you really want OM and MSU to end up like this?

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/03/paul_bryant_jrs_bank_is_the_ti.html

This is what is all boils down to. Until MSU and Ole Miss get their own board of trustees, nothing is safe. The whole deal with Dan Jones is more of a power struggle over UMC and how contracts are handed out.

Liverpooldawg
03-27-2015, 03:00 PM
I think it will actually get worse with separate boards. Every school begging directly to the legislature? Nightmare.

Alldawg
03-27-2015, 05:36 PM
How could it get worse. You spend your donations the way you choose. The IHL should not be able to tell a school it can not build something it wants if they have private funding. Alabama and Auburn have their own trustees along with most other universities.

Liverpooldawg
03-27-2015, 06:01 PM
The legislature will hold the power then with no buffer between them and the schools. You may think that is a great idea but I'm not so sure.

Jack Lambert
03-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Seems like UMMC is the wild card here.

"Perry (IHL vice-chairman) said had the Board only considered the Oxford campus, Jones would have had his contract renewed. But failures in financial controls, violations of Board policies and mismanagement of contracts and finances at UMMC had not been addressed to the Board's satisfaction."

http://onlinemadison.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=3&ArticleID=29973

this what I don't know why folks don't undertand. The guy did not watch the money as he should have when he was at UMC. Damn what part of that no one undertands? I don't want some guy just sitting in a chair and letting departments spend as the please. Buying crap they never intended on using. Sound like to me some people at UMC was buying from buddies. Do your damn job and you won't be fired.