PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to pose a history question.

Rick Danko
03-26-2015, 08:46 PM
Not on the politic board so hope this doesn't get moved there. And not trying to start any kind of pissing contest so hope this does not turn out that way.

What is the story on Doc Foglesong? I have seen numerous jeers toward him over my few years of reading message boards and just don't know the story and was curious. It seems he had a short tenure and some people did not like him, can anyone give a brief summary as to why. Just being curious mostly thanks

Dawg61
03-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Not on the politic board so hope this doesn't get moved there. And not trying to start any kind of pissing contest so hope this does not turn out that way.

What is the story on Doc Foglesong? I have seen numerous jeers toward him over my few years of reading message boards and just don't know the story and was curious. It seems he had a short tenure and some people did not like him, can anyone give a brief summary as to why. Just being curious mostly thanks

The staff didn't like him. He made a bunch of new rules that all the teachers hated. That's what I remeber hearing.

ShotgunDawg
03-26-2015, 08:56 PM
This is essentially true. He was a pretty awful president, but he did make one of the best decisions in the history of the university and for that he should probably have a building blamed after him.

BeardoMSU
03-26-2015, 08:59 PM
The staff didn't like him. He made a bunch of new rules that all the teachers hated. That's what I remeber hearing.

He wanted to make the campus look like a military base too. I remember he had all the building signs replaced with something pretty close to olive drab, lol, which have since been replaced.

Dawg61
03-26-2015, 09:02 PM
He wanted to make the campus look like a military base too. I remember he had all the building signs replaced with something pretty close to olive drab, lol, which have since been replaced.

He painted the campus poop brown and killed all the daffodils too. True story.

BeardoMSU
03-26-2015, 09:04 PM
but he did make one of the best decisions in the history of the university

This is probably obvious, but what are you referring to?

TheRef
03-26-2015, 09:05 PM
He painted the campus poop brown and killed all the daffodils too. True story.

He also wanted the rocks painted.....he would go on his running route, and think of stuff that needed to be changed while he ran. Like he would see some rocks and say "those need to be painted". That's where the daffodils got taken out from.

SapperDawg
03-26-2015, 09:07 PM
This is probably obvious, but what are you referring to?

The end of Lonnie Tinkle's reign of terror and the asent of Byrne.

BeardoMSU
03-26-2015, 09:09 PM
He also wanted the rocks painted.....he would go on his running route, and think of stuff that needed to be changed while he ran. Like he would see some rocks and say "those need to be painted". That's where the daffodils got taken out from.

This^^ Hearing about his thought processes like this was bizarre. He went about things, especially in talking with faculty, like a military general, rather than a university president; conversing like a civilian was not something he seemed very practiced in.

Rick Danko
03-26-2015, 09:09 PM
The end of Lonnie Tinkle's reign of terror and the asent of Byrne.

This is another one... Where die Lonnie "Tinkle" come from?

DancingRabbit
03-26-2015, 09:11 PM
Instead of jets, he would fly a bi-plane over the stadium.

I think it was named Snoopy I.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nO-cHGSciks/RuCSYu1Xv_I/AAAAAAAAAHs/OrC-2jhvJF4/s400/Presidential+Fly-Over+--+Doc+Foglesong+flew+over+KY+game.jpg

BeardoMSU
03-26-2015, 09:11 PM

Tinkle or Tinker?***

http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/tinker-o.gif

Liverpooldawg
03-26-2015, 09:13 PM
Doc started the process that led to Mark Keenum. For that we should all be grateful to him.

Dawg61
03-26-2015, 09:14 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nO-cHGSciks/RuCSYu1Xv_I/AAAAAAAAAHs/OrC-2jhvJF4/s400/Presidential+Fly-Over+--+Doc+Foglesong+flew+over+KY+game.jpg

Haha he was also in a shitty rock band that he insisted played during Super Bulldog Weekend. Damn that dude had some kind of ego.

dawgoneyall
03-26-2015, 09:35 PM
Be glad he was here. Very glad.

It is doubtful we would ever have been #1 in the nation for five weeks if he had not been President.

Oh....and a bunch of prick professors being mad at him is to his credit. How dare he as their President have the audacity to attempt to tell them how to do anything.

Todd4State
03-26-2015, 09:36 PM

Worst flyover ever.

Drugdog
03-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Worst flyover ever.

Last I heard he was still attempting to make it to the other end of Scott field.

BeardoMSU
03-26-2015, 09:42 PM
How dare he as their President have the audacity to attempt to tell them how to do anything.

A good thing you don't work in academia, I guess.

Dawghouse
03-26-2015, 10:13 PM

I'm probably way off but I always assumed the Lonnie Tinkle reference came from the Templeton troughs on the east side of the stadium. People hated pissing on themselves during football games but ole Larry couldn't find any money in the budget to replace the atrocities and so they were named after him.

RougeDawg
03-26-2015, 10:15 PM
What were the flowers he had ripped up that pissed off the donor/alum who had paid for them to be planted?

TheRef
03-26-2015, 10:16 PM
What were the flowers he had ripped up that pissed off the donor/alum who had paid for them to be planted?

Daffodils.

dawgoneyall
03-26-2015, 10:33 PM
You've been wrong before.

Drugdog
03-26-2015, 10:35 PM
This is a good thread. Keep it going please

archdog
03-26-2015, 10:36 PM
And then the Architecture school took him down.

Original48
03-26-2015, 10:43 PM
Worst flyover ever.
You're welcome...

http://youtu.be/5rAqlIZ9QkM

dickiedawg
03-26-2015, 10:50 PM
I was thinking about this earlier today. Doc had a bunch of ideas that nobody liked, wanting to make everything more military in style as has been mentioned. He had all the fire hydrants painted brown, then guess what? They had to paint them yellow because its hard for the fire department to find a brown fire hydrant.
Rumor had it he was going to paint the west side of the football stadium brown, which probably wopulent have been too awful actually.
I'm not positive and someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think he dictated that all brick construction going forward would be McCool Hall brick, which is a wonderful decision.
He pissed off The Reflector staff from the jump. Apparently he submitted a letter that he demanded be on the front page of the paper. When the editor refused to print it anywhere but the opinion page, he basically blackballed the staff and wouldn't comment for any story and refused to allow anyone from his office to comment on stories. Everyone on staff at the time hated him thereafter.
His term was short but eventful. Honestly, for firing LT we should commission a statue of him in the junction. (Come to think of it, was the junction conceived or opened in his tenure? I know it was near that time frame). I would be OK with the anniversary of LT's retirement be celebrated as Doc Fogelsong day.

ETA: I just found some construction photos from genes page of the junction from Summer 06, after Fogelsong arrived in spring 06. The junction probably opened in his tenure but the ball was rolling when he got here.

maroonmania
03-26-2015, 10:52 PM
Be glad he was here. Very glad.

It is doubtful we would ever have been #1 in the nation for five weeks if he had not been President.

Oh....and a bunch of prick professors being mad at him is to his credit. How dare he as their President have the audacity to attempt to tell them how to do anything.

Yep, for whatever things he did that pissed off the faculty, just remember this: without Fogelsong there is no replacement of LT with Byrne and without Byrne there is no replacement of Croom with Mullen. Also to add to that without Byrne Polk would still be running our baseball program through the figure head of Tommy Raffo.

DancingRabbit
03-26-2015, 10:54 PM
Daffodils.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3160859/no_daffodils.jpg

BeardoMSU
03-26-2015, 10:56 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3160859/no_daffodils.jpg

This deserves a standing ovation.

Dawg61
03-26-2015, 11:24 PM
And then the Architecture school took him down.

Yup he told them to take their art crap down from view through the windows. Soon after he resigned.