PDA

View Full Version : Ways to improve the baseball program (outside stadium renovation)......

Goat Holder
06-28-2013, 09:33 AM
First off, let's all just face that fact that stadium renovation isn't happening for a few more years. It costs money, alot of money, to do what many of our fans want to do, and we are right in the middle of a huge football upgrade. So let's take a red pill here. Our stadium is still Top 5 in the country, and atmosphere is #1 hands down. Considering that, should this really be top priority right now? I don't think so.

1) Get rid of right field bleachers and make that a big tailgate area. Borrow the idea from Ole Miss. Put some terracing in there, let people have coolers, etc. Anybody can come. Some thought would have to be put into it for sight lines and all, but it could be done.

2) Play some early season games at Trustmark, especially weekday games that don't draw big crowds in Starkville. Play off the big population base in Jackson. Since the fans are our biggest selling point anyway. Early season 2 game Tues./Wed. games would be perfect for this. I originally though about a 4 game series on the weekend, but weekends are better suited in Starkville. Perhaps one weekend series that way we could sort of get used to playing on a different field early. Easy exposure to Jackson area recruits too.

3) Put together some sort of former players club, like the M-club for football. We may already have this. Welcome them back, perhaps even lobby to them. We already do alot of this with the first pitch stuff.

4) Outreaches in the community. Cohen already does a great job of this.

5) I'd like to see more banners at the field. I know we have to have padding on the OF now, but I loved when we have all those signs with all our accomplishments, All-Americans, etc.

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 09:45 AM
love it, and also make the outfield slightly more conducive to walk-ins without screwing up the rigs.

Goat Holder
06-28-2013, 09:54 AM
That's sort of where I'm going with the RF area, people can go there and it doesn't affect the rigs. They are what they are. People pay for that spot, they should be able to allow in whoever they want.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Great ideas, but I would also give more standing room only accommodations on the right field side. Build the road between the hump and the stadium up and make this a large pavilion area like you see at Autozone and Trustmark, call it the fan zone with a batting cage and restaurant and give the diamond girls a true gift shop to be proud of, they are a great asset, use them. Turn the bullpens to run parallel with the field will open up some more space too.

Goat Holder
06-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Great ideas, but I would also give more standing room only accommodations on the right field side. Build the road between the hump and the stadium up and make this a large pavilion area like you see at Autozone and Trustmark, call it the fan zone with a batting cage and restaurant and give the diamond girls a true gift shop to be proud of, they are a great asset, use them. Turn the bullpens to run parallel with the field will open up some more space too.

Yes....I like this. That's the main entrance for many people anyway.

Good thing is, with all the construction finishing up around there and LF especially, it should be alot more aesthetically pleasing in the near future. And we should PLANT MORE TREES TOO.....

Drugdog
06-28-2013, 10:16 AM
How about a brick vaneer(sp)and stucko ice machine. Would be a cash cow.

bulldogcountry1
06-28-2013, 10:55 AM
I really like the idea about keeping former players involved. I'm sure some are already, but I have wondered in the last couple years why some of our most storied players aren't more visible and vocal. It was good to see guys like Masters, Powell, Knott, Parks, Stratton, etc. at the Duded and Omaha this year. It was also a "thrill" to see Clark on the video last night.