PDA

View Full Version : Committment coming soon possibly?

NeshobaChuck
03-26-2015, 09:49 AM
With Howland visiting with Malik and his Father tonight and Mussleman taking the job at Nevada could Howland reel in the big one tonight and seal the deal? Will this be another Leo Lewis type of deal?

NewTweederEndzoneDance
03-26-2015, 09:51 AM
I imagine Malik will wait until at least the signing period starts, if for nothing else than to see who is going to be heading to the NBA from his top choices.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-26-2015, 09:52 AM
I don't expect any commitment until he takes his OV.

smootness
03-26-2015, 09:53 AM
I seriously doubt he's ready to commit to State. I would expect him to wait at least until the regular signing period begins to make a public decision.

I saw a rumor today that LSU was actually considering Ray to fill Musselman's spot, which would throw another wrench into things and make it very interesting. Honestly, that would be a really smart move for LSU.

NeshobaChuck
03-26-2015, 09:59 AM
Ray is not that bad of a coach but he's not a Head Coach he's just like sly Croom IMO

smootness
03-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Ray is not that bad of a coach but he's not a Head Coach he's just like sly Croom IMO

I think he definitely can be, may need more seasoning. But regardless, that would be a good assistant hire for LSU and would certainly give LSU an even better shot than they had with Musselman there.

I just hope State fans are prepared for Newman to go elsewhere. I will be ecstatic if he chooses State, and I think we have a chance, but we have nothing to go on outside of a few internet posters whose opinion is now that it should be a done deal.

Howland may be able to swing it in our favor, but it's still a tall task.

engie
03-26-2015, 10:05 AM
I think Howland can lock him up on the visit.

I don't think he will publicly commit though. Although, if he does, word will probably begin to filter -- as Malik starts trying to recruit guys to come with him...

Coach34
03-26-2015, 10:05 AM
We have to get another quality big man to sign in this class and Newman will come. That is what it hinges on

HSVDawg
03-26-2015, 10:06 AM
I don't expect any commitment until he takes his OV.

My understanding was that he didn't even schedule an OV to MSU. Has that changed?

C222
03-26-2015, 10:08 AM
Horatio wasn't going to let Malik play for Ray so I doubt that helps LSU with his recruitment.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-26-2015, 10:11 AM
My understanding was that he didn't even schedule an OV to MSU. Has that changed?

I'm not sure it's necessary bc he's been on campus so many times but I expect he will take 1 to MSU.

BulldogDX55
03-26-2015, 10:14 AM
We have to get another quality big man to sign in this class and Newman will come. That is what it hinges on

Our best bet seems to be the 6'9" PF from that JUCO in Idaho...or maybe we could get back into the Diamond Stone game.

smootness
03-26-2015, 10:19 AM
Horatio wasn't going to let Malik play for Ray so I doubt that helps LSU with his recruitment.

I doubt he was set against Newman playing for Ray; I'm sure it was the current state of the team and direction that was leading that. But there's no doubt Newman has developed a relationship with Ray and knows how hard he's worked in recruiting him. I don't see how adding him to LSU's staff hurts their chances. It has to help.

TheRef
03-26-2015, 10:28 AM

He's not scheduling his OVs until after the NBA Draft.

msstate7
03-26-2015, 10:31 AM
He's not scheduling his OVs until after the NBA Draft.
I think this will definetely help us vs Kentucky. I can't see Kentucky waiting on him.

RBritt
03-26-2015, 11:08 AM
Malik needs to hear this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KZcuxQ2w3bc

confucius say
03-26-2015, 01:01 PM
It's pretty obvious that Malik would like to play at msu. There is absolutely no reason a program that has sucked for three years would be in his top 5 otherwise. He is just looking for a reason to do it. If we can get another great to elite guy (probably a big) to come with him, he will come. Bank on that. Why else would he have followed ray kasongo on twitter, for tips on what to do when he visits Idaho?

SheltonChoked
03-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Is the draft still in June? Can he wait that long to sign? I thought late signing ended in May.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Malik won't do anything til the NBA deadline April 26th.

FlabLoser
03-26-2015, 08:46 PM
This feels like Monta Ellis.

shannondawg
03-27-2015, 07:30 AM
I got a gut feeling that he is ours to lose.

RiverCityDawg
03-27-2015, 07:48 AM
This feels like Monta Ellis.

How so other than same position and similar skill set? Their recruiting processes have been very different. Malik can't go pro right away like Monta and Monta was commited for a while before he signed with us and later declared for the draft.

chef dixon
03-27-2015, 08:33 AM
I got a gut feeling that he is ours to lose.

I feel the same way. I never thought he would go anywhere outside the state besides UK and now I think with our coaching hire we've definitely stepped ahead of Ole Miss.

Coach34
03-27-2015, 09:18 AM
It's pretty simple:

Horatio wants him close, to get good coaching, and to play on a solid team. We are now a viable option to provide that. Especially with the roster upgrades Howland and crew are working on

Ifyouonlyknew
03-27-2015, 09:22 AM
I like our chances but it's not a done deal by any means.

msstate7
03-27-2015, 09:22 AM
It's pretty simple:

Horatio wants him close, to get good coaching, and to play on a solid team. We are now a viable option to provide that. Especially with the roster upgrades Howland and crew are working on

I'll feel much better when Mickey and Martin declare. If lsu has Martin, Mickey, Simmons, Malik, and blakeney, I could coach them to a final 4

messageboardsuperhero
03-27-2015, 10:17 AM
I'll feel much better when Mickey and Martin declare. If lsu has Martin, Mickey, Simmons, Malik, and blakeney, I could coach them to a final 4

Martin has already declared and Mickey is reportedly leaning to leave pretty heavily.