PDA

View Full Version : BearSharks can't feel too good about this coming out of Spring

Coach34
03-25-2015, 09:21 PM
@ESPN_SEC: Ole Miss no closer to finding a quarterback http://t.co/ocySbx0rVQ

"However, with good news typically comes bad news, and in this case, a slew of injuries to the offensive line and wide receiver group has held back the No. 1 offense and made it difficult to evaluate the quarterback position. Freeze listed about eight offensive linemen who are out and not expected to return this spring."

smootness
03-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Freeze has always sounded down and somewhat pessimistic during spring and fall practice. They do have serious QB questions, and I would hate to put my future in Kelly's hands, but he'll always make things sound bad.

Coach34
03-25-2015, 09:28 PM
Having 8 offensive linemen out for the Spring is a big damn deal. College usually only have 14-15 of them in Spring ball- that's leaves them with about 7 maybe 8'guys for OL this Spring

smootness
03-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Yeah, it is, though some could be walk-ons. It isn't good news; I'm just going to take every bad report from them with a grain of salt.

FlabLoser
03-25-2015, 09:37 PM
I agree. Freeze is always woe-is-me in the offseason. Remember when they supposedly only had half a roster or something because he wouldn't include redshirts and such in his scholarship count?

thf24
03-25-2015, 09:54 PM
This is obviously his MO at this point, talking his team down in any preparation phase so that he looks like a miracle worker if they do well and has an established excuse to point to if they don't. No telling whether there's actually anything to this or not.

662dawg
03-25-2015, 09:59 PM
He wasn't down playing the defense. Says they are gonna be very good. Which they may very well be, but it's hard to replace leaders & play makers(in actual games) such as Bryant, DT, Golson & Prewitt & ne "just as good" the following year... Unless you're Bama or LSU of course. And that they aren't. I do expect them to be at the least a little above average defensively, though. I expect them to be much worse offensively this year.

msstate7
03-25-2015, 10:04 PM
He wasn't down playing the defense. Says they are gonna be very good. Which they may very well be, but it's hard to replace leaders & play makers(in actual games) such as Bryant, DT, Golson & Prewitt & ne "just as good" the following year... Unless you're Bama or LSU of course. And that they aren't. I do expect them to be at the least a little above average defensively, though. I expect them to be much worse offensively this year.

Cross said cj Johnson showing out at mlb

smootness
03-25-2015, 10:50 PM
I think Ole Miss will be just fine on defense and may be just as good as they were last year. That offense, though, could struggle.

Some real WR talent, but that OL will be a problem, and I just don't trust Kelly. At all.

ShotgunDawg
03-25-2015, 11:42 PM
I think Ole Miss will be just fine on defense and may be just as good as they were last year. That offense, though, could struggle.

Some real WR talent, but that OL will be a problem, and I just don't trust Kelly. At all.

This is essentially the issue. Unless their offense is legitimately better and more consistent next year, against a much tougher schedule, it's really not reasonable to believe their team will be better, even if their defense holds serve.

IMO, they basically had one of the top 5 defenses in the country last year, and I'm not sure there is really any room for improvement while also taking into account that they are replacing experienced guys with players that have little to no SEC experience.

At Bama, at LSU, at Auburn, and at MSU is much tougher than anything they saw last year.

Rebs will go 8-4 this year.

HancockCountyDog
03-26-2015, 08:15 AM
This is essentially the issue. Unless their offense is legitimately better and more consistent next year, against a much tougher schedule, it's really not reasonable to believe their team will be better, even if their defense holds serve.

IMO, they basically had one of the top 5 defenses in the country last year, and I'm not sure there is really any room for improvement while also taking into account that they are replacing experienced guys with players that have little to no SEC experience.

At Bama, at LSU, at Auburn, and at MSU is much tougher than anything they saw last year.

Rebs will go 8-4 this year.

I think their defense should be really good assuming Hampton or Hilton can replace Prewitt. I was never impressed with their LB's last year and the fact that none of them even sniffed a combine or a senior day should tell you where they stood at LB last year.

Their LB's looked ok, because their DL was so good. The same thing will happen this year. Their DL should be really good, so their LB's will look ok.

They have LSU at home this year not on the road and are lucky to be at Florida early in the season.

thunderclap
03-26-2015, 08:31 AM
Fatness is not an injury.

BossDawg
03-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Cross said cj Johnson showing out at mlb

To be fair, you can ask a bear fan about any of their players during spring practice, and they are always "showing out"....or some variation of that. They will make it sound like their entire roster will get drafted.

thf24
03-26-2015, 10:20 AM
To be fair, you can ask a bear fan about any of their players during spring practice, and they are always "showing out"....or some variation of that. They will make it sound like their entire roster will get drafted.

If I were them, I'd be real worried if a 5th year senior and career starter wasn't showing out.

msstate7
03-26-2015, 10:33 AM

Well cross said all the qb's we're turning the ball over way too much in the same segment

msstate7
03-26-2015, 10:34 AM
If I were them, I'd be real worried if a 5th year senior and career starter wasn't showing out.

New position though