PDA

View Full Version : Word out of DC is that IHL will reverse their decision tomorrow..

Reunion Dog
03-25-2015, 07:39 PM
If election were tomorrow... Bryant would get his ass handed to him.... and all he has been in the scheme is a puppet..

archdog
03-25-2015, 07:44 PM
You will have to forgive me, but what decision?

EAVdog
03-25-2015, 07:44 PM
Yeah I've heard it came from the IHL board and 100% over UMC. For whatever it's worth, I don't have an opinion on Bryant one way or the other.

Reunion Dog
03-25-2015, 07:52 PM
reinstate jones

nsvltndog
03-25-2015, 09:10 PM
They tried that same ploy here in Virginia with the UVA Chancellor a few years ago and it also resulted in her reinstatement. Whether by accident or by design, the UM faithful followed the UVA playbook fairly closely - ratchet up the pressure from student, faculty, and alumni, use the media/social media to expose the politics being played by the board and perhaps most importantly - threaten to withhold big time donations. If it happens tomorrow the Bears will have proven to be faster at their reversal process as it took about 2 weeks at UVA. Jones deserves to stay in his position and he's good for their University. The changes he has made in Oxford benefit the perception of Mississippi as a whole so I hope it is reversed.

HSVDawg
03-25-2015, 09:49 PM
I haven't really been paying attention. What exactly are the political implications that led to Jones' ouster? From talking to some Ole Miss people, you'd think its a good ole boy conspiracy to bring in a new guy that will start handing out confederate flags and bring back Colonel Reb to restore the "traditional" Ole Miss way of life. However, that seems a lot like black helicopters and hardly based in reality. I guess the better question is who did Jones piss off and what did he do?

War Machine Dawg
03-25-2015, 09:55 PM
I haven't really been paying attention. What exactly are the political implications that led to Jones' ouster? From talking to some Ole Miss people, you'd think its a good ole boy conspiracy to bring in a new guy that will start handing out confederate flags and bring back Colonel Reb to restore the "traditional" Ole Miss way of life. However, that seems a lot like black helicopters and hardly based in reality. I guess the better question is who did Jones piss off and what did he do?

Very close, actually. And the leader on this is a certain Tire Man. He's politically smart enough to understand the Confederate stuff is dying, although he'd like to see it stay. But he hates the Black Bear as a replacement. The push was/is going to be towards the Landshark. "Fins Up"

Mark my words, this fight isn't over, even if Jones is reinstated.

Apoplectic
03-25-2015, 11:22 PM
If election were tomorrow... Bryant would get his ass handed to him.... and all he has been in the scheme is a puppet..

Wake me when it is time to give a crap about a dan not named mullen

Reason2succeed
03-26-2015, 12:01 AM
Wake me when it is time to give a crap about a dan not named mullen

+1,000,000

DownwardDawg
03-26-2015, 08:02 AM
This should be on the political board. Not our sports board.

engie
03-26-2015, 08:16 AM
The maneuvering has NOTHING to do with "old Rebel traditions"... I know an IHL/Ole Miss board member that voted against the contract renewal and he DGAF about their "traditions".

It's a power play involving UMC. I'll discuss more about it when the time is right, but the overall play is good for us -- and there's heavy hitters coming down on both sides...

Liverpooldawg
03-26-2015, 08:21 AM
I think it's over UMC. The traditions people may have latched on too but UMC is the driving issue.

HSVDawg
03-26-2015, 10:13 AM
I think it's over UMC. The traditions people may have latched on too but UMC is the driving issue.

OK. So what happened at UMMC?

engie
03-26-2015, 11:35 AM

Phil Bryant wants to separate UMC from Ole Miss. Basically in a nutshell.

MadDawg
03-26-2015, 12:47 PM
The maneuvering has NOTHING to do with "old Rebel traditions"... I know an IHL/Ole Miss board member that voted against the contract renewal and he DGAF about their "traditions".

It's a power play involving UMC. I'll discuss more about it when the time is right, but the overall play is good for us -- and there's heavy hitters coming down on both sides...

And don't forget to mention the whole GOP Establishment vs. the Tea Party angle this has to it too. There's more drama going on here than at a Little Miss Something beauty pageant.

1bigdawg
03-26-2015, 01:07 PM
This is clear evidence of incompetence and maybe corruption.
http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/2015/03/dan-jones-firing-tale-of-two-audits.html

HSVDawg
03-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Phil Bryant wants to separate UMC from Ole Miss. Basically in a nutshell.

I've heard that as well as its been publicly speculated for a while, but that raises a few more questions:

1) What benefit is there to separate UMC from Ole Miss? Also, what would it even be called, and who would run it? I think it may hurt the quality of students that eventually apply there as most all top medical schools are affiliated with an existing public state university or private university.

2) How does replacing the chancellor increase the likliehood of that separation to occur? Pretty much nobody that takes the job is going to agree to turn over UMC to the state unless they just don't want to be chancellor very long. Absolutely no way the big time donors and supporters for Ole Miss won't pull donations to force the removal of whatever chancellor agrees to Phil Bryant's plan.

In the end, I can see how it may be interpreted to be a positive for MSU, but I don't really see it as having much of an effect either way. I guess thats because I never really saw UMC as really being a part of Ole Miss anyways, as it is basically self sufficient on its own. Its not like the money made there and the research grants given to them are funneled to football stadium expansions or Mike Bianco's salary. I'd love to hear other opinions or insight though.

Todd4State
03-26-2015, 08:19 PM
I've heard that as well as its been publicly speculated for a while, but that raises a few more questions:

1) What benefit is there to separate UMC from Ole Miss? Also, what would it even be called, and who would run it? I think it may hurt the quality of students that eventually apply there as most all top medical schools are affiliated with an existing public state university or private university.

2) How does replacing the chancellor increase the likliehood of that separation to occur? Pretty much nobody that takes the job is going to agree to turn over UMC to the state unless they just don't want to be chancellor very long. Absolutely no way the big time donors and supporters for Ole Miss won't pull donations to force the removal of whatever chancellor agrees to Phil Bryant's plan.

In the end, I can see how it may be interpreted to be a positive for MSU, but I don't really see it as having much of an effect either way. I guess thats because I never really saw UMC as really being a part of Ole Miss anyways, as it is basically self sufficient on its own. Its not like the money made there and the research grants given to them are funneled to football stadium expansions or Mike Bianco's salary. I'd love to hear other opinions or insight though.

Some states- such as Georgia- have a "State Medical School/College" that is unaffiliated with any other college in the state.

1) Ole Miss uses UMC to it's benefit- such as to boost enrollment, claim that achievements from UMC professors as "Ole Miss professors". The truth is it is a relationship out of convenience. When I was about to go to UMC, I stopped by the Ole Miss booth at Northpark Mall for info about my profession. What the person told me to do was talk to UMC because Ole Miss and UMC are separate. It will not hurt the quality of students at all. There are more MSU grads there than Ole Miss grads. That will not change. And as I stated in my first sentence, it's a model that is not unheard of. There will still be only one major medical school in Mississippi- regardless of whether it's affiliated with State, Ole Miss, Delta State, or Jackson State. And yes, I am well aware of the fact that William Carey has a medical school. The demographic at UMC will not change- it will mostly be Mississippi residents. The main purpose of the school has always been to educate future healthcare workers for Mississippi. Also, as another example- Ochsner in New Orleans is one of the top teaching hospitals in America- and they are unaffiliated with any school.

What would it be called? Who knows? Guyton School of Medicine? Mississippi Medical College? That's WAY down the road at this point and several things have to occur before that is even a thought.

Who would run it? UMC has a CEO. Apparently he can lead marines, but can't keep the books straight. They would probably have their own president/chancellor/overlord. They also have LouAnn Woodward- it might very well be her. Again, it's something down the road.

2) What they are trying to show at the very least is that it is very difficult if not impossible to oversee a school like Ole Miss AND UMC. The IHL may have accomplished that if nothing else. The rest of number two- not necessarily. I don't know very many Ole Miss people that brag about UMC. And don't forget that lawyers don't always get along with doctors very well- and some of their supporters may be very happy to see UMC break away.

The benefit for MSU is Ole Miss is having to deal with this. It's a HUGE distraction. They might get Dan Jones back- they might not. I don't know how much UMC contributes to Ole Miss athletics, but they sure as hell tried to get Nkemdiche's Dad a job there. I was there when Eli was at Ole Miss, so they probably had pretty good demand for student tickets- but as far as I know we weren't offered student tickets to any sport. When Ole Miss is bad I have seen them try to sell/give away tickets to UMC employees as a last ditch effort to get people to go to a game.

As a student at UMC we didn't do anything with Ole Miss. Heck, we actually took a fieldtrip to the TK Martin Center at MSU- so we actually spent more time at MSU than we ever did at Oxford. We had our own UMC parties and things like that. Basically like a totally different college.

Todd4State
03-26-2015, 08:24 PM

It's more like what didn't happen- like keeping the books straight. IMO, there is probably a good chance that someone or someone's are embezzeling some money if they look hard enough. Very careless spending.

Todd4State
03-26-2015, 08:52 PM
And now Jones rejects the boards offer for a two year extension.

It makes me wonder if Jones is waiting for a decision to separate UMC from Ole Miss and then become the Chancellor at UMC with his medical background?

Reunion Dog
03-26-2015, 09:35 PM
If you pull UMMC out from under the school and make it a for-profit entity, then Butler-Snow has all the ingredients to make UMMC a new economic development tool in health care. Very simple.

Todd4State
03-26-2015, 09:50 PM
If you pull UMMC out from under the school and make it a for-profit entity, then Butler-Snow has all the ingredients to make UMMC a new economic development tool in health care. Very simple.

I think Ronnie Musgrove was stretching things a little bit with his Butler Snow conspiracy theory. Personal opinion.

But that said, I think UMC will come out the big winner in all of this whatever happens because I think there could very well be some changes for the better. I don't think it was Dan Jones fault per se- but UMC needs better management. At the very least, I bet they get someone that knows where their money is going.

We as employees were constantly told that the hospital was in the red. Now, the school and hospital together may have been making money- but I'm just telling you what we were told. They were constantly cutting corners that was compromising quality for the patients and they have created an extremely stressful environment for the workers. Several of my former co-workers were written up because they couldn't get to work safely because of the snow and/or they couldn't put their young children in daycare because it was closed because of the weather. The "real" reason was because with us shorthanded = less money.

DancingRabbit
03-26-2015, 10:03 PM
UMMC can still be affiliated with UM, but it should be managed by a separate CEO and a separate board of governors.