PDA

View Full Version : Dikembe dixson

msstate7
03-25-2015, 06:13 PM
2 CB's to us today. Anyone know anything about him?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2015, 06:20 PM
We just offered today 6'7" wing from Kentucky.

msstate7
03-25-2015, 06:22 PM
We just offered today 6'7" wing from Kentucky.

Yeah, I saw sf. Interesting considering we have 3 sf's already.

msstate7
03-25-2015, 06:35 PM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/coach-says-2015-wing-dikembe-dixson-could-be-a-pro/

blacklistedbully
03-25-2015, 07:10 PM
He has a cousin, Montrell Dixson (Class of 2016) that is also considered very athletic, and is a 6-6, 200lb SG.

MabenMaroon
03-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Does that mean that Coach Howland already knows of some attrition off the current roster or incoming signees?
The article says he is a 2015 recruit ... hmmm ....

Dallas_Dawg
03-25-2015, 07:20 PM
He's a 3 star on 247. From this offer to what has been said about him taking lower rated talent, he sounds like the Dan Mullen of Roundball

http://247sports.com/Player/Dikembe-Dixson-37398

Political Hack
03-25-2015, 07:31 PM
I just watched his film. he's not a 3 star, or at least shouldn't be. He's every bit as good as Tang Hamilton was.

Also, he's long and can run the floor. A 6'7" 3-man that can run the floor, handle
the rock, and finish??? And he's a 3 star??? Sign him up.

Madisonmd
03-25-2015, 07:56 PM
There will be room soon for several new players

msstate7
03-25-2015, 07:57 PM

A guess or have you heard something?

Irondawg
03-25-2015, 08:01 PM
What I find interesting is that he had zero other offers. Just odd for a kid that just got a P5 offer

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2015, 08:05 PM
What I find interesting is that he had zero other offers. Just odd for a kid that just got a P5 offer

Had a few smaller offers. Marshall, Cleveland St, & Bradley. DePaul, Iowa St, & Arkansas have checked on him the last month or so.

msstate7
03-25-2015, 08:05 PM

Read the link I posted above. Could be a flood of offers coming

Irondawg
03-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Yeah I likes what I read and the video showed some nice promise and was back in 2013 so hopefully he's added some weight.

Looks like a nice prospect. Our biggest needs though to me are a post player and a zone buster

yjnkdawg
03-25-2015, 08:09 PM
A guess or have you heard something?

If he has heard something,that goes against what information has been floating around, unless it is a player(s) deciding to leave the program.

msstate7
03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Yeah I likes what I read and the video showed some nice promise and was back in 2013 so hopefully he's added some weight.

Looks like a nice prospect. Our biggest needs though to me are a post player and a zone buster

2013!!! Dang, Ive got to start checking dates! Guess that flood of offers is taking longer than expected haha

thf24
03-25-2015, 08:29 PM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/coach-says-2015-wing-dikembe-dixson-could-be-a-pro/

Can we also sign the 5'6" white kid who drained Dixson's kick out?**

Seriously though, great find by Howland already. I'm most impressed with his handling, definitely an area that's lacking among our current group.

messageboardsuperhero
03-25-2015, 08:42 PM
Read the link I posted above. Could be a flood of offers coming

That article was written two years ago, and still no other offers...

Howland has my total trust though. Put some meat on this guy's bones and he's got potential. He signed another long, unheralded forward at UCLA that turned out pretty good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luc_Mbah_a_Moute

Dallas_Dawg
03-25-2015, 08:51 PM

Any speculation on who will be moving onto other opportunities? Endo, Fred maybe...??? Who else?

Brad Stevens
03-25-2015, 09:00 PM
I just watched his film. he's not a 3 star, or at least shouldn't be. He's every bit as good as Tang Hamilton was.

Also, he's long and can run the floor. A 6'7" 3-man that can run the floor, handle
the rock, and finish??? And he's a 3 star??? Sign him up.

I honestly saw the exact opposite. If you showed me this kid's tape and there was no prior knowledge, I would say he is a JUCO-level player. He seems like more of a project at his position than Ndoye is at his. But I'm not Ben Howland, so my opinion matters little.

Intramural All-American
03-25-2015, 09:03 PM
I honestly saw the exact opposite. If you showed me this kid's tape and there was no prior knowledge, I would say he is a JUCO-level player. He seems like more of a project at his position than Ndoye is at his. But I'm not Ben Howland, so my opinion matters little.

If anyone is keeping score, I think Brad Stevens would have been a 5-run homer instead of the grand slam that Howland is. So your insight is welcome.

CadaverDawg
03-25-2015, 09:15 PM
I just had a buddy call me and tell me about some social media info/stalking. For those that are into trying to read things from social media actions....Malik follows Kasongo recently, Kasongo happens to be recently following Montrell Dixson which is Dikembe's cousin and a 2016 recruit. This probably means absolutely nothing, but it would be awesome to land Malik, Kasongo, and Dixson...AND already have a likely signee in Montrell Dixson the following year after all our Seniors leave.

I know, it's a stretch, but what are message boards for, right?

And don't shoot the messenger if I got some of those "follows" mixed up...I just know those 4 guys are connected through social media in some way, or so I was told, ha.

Irondawg
03-25-2015, 09:15 PM
Just remember that's his tape from two years ago and he can tell he's still a bit awkward getting used to his height.

I'd love to see some sr video.

smootness
03-25-2015, 09:18 PM
He's long and athletic. I'll take it.

msstate7
03-25-2015, 09:21 PM
I just had a buddy call me and tell me about some social media info/stalking. For those that are into trying to read things from social media actions....Malik follows Kasongo recently, Kasongo happens to be recently following Montrell Dixson which is Dikembe's cousin and a 2016 recruit. This probably means absolutely nothing, but it would be awesome to land Malik, Kasongo, and Dixson...AND already have a likely signee in Montrell Dixson the following year after all our Seniors leave.

I know, it's a stretch, but what are message boards for, right?

And don't shoot the messenger if I got some of those "follows" mixed up...I just know those 4 guys are connected through social media in some way, or so I was told, ha.

Hopefully it happens. If we add 3 signees, roster management is gonna get real interesting

Brad Stevens
03-25-2015, 09:25 PM
He's long and athletic. I'll take it.

Normally I would agree with you, but I just don't know here. With him being a 2015 potential signee, he would be one class behind Houston. I do realize Thomas and Daniels will be gone after next year, so maybe we sign him and redshirt him for a year. Also, the more I see names like this, the more concerned I am of landing Malik.

If we land Malik, we can sign this guy and all his cousins for all I care.

smootness
03-25-2015, 09:28 PM
I've said I don't expect to become some kind of recruiting machine. I expect Howland to recruit more like he did at Pitt and early at UCLA than he did later at UCLA.

Get some tough, solid kids that you can teach, and sprinkle in some real talent.

Howland will bring in some top guys, but he's also going to bring in some kids like this. FWIW, his ratings are decent. I can't really find any recent video.

If I had to guess, our team will be long, athletic, and ready to defend and run. Basically our optimistic view of what Ray would do, except we'll have more talent and be better coached.

msstate7
03-25-2015, 09:49 PM
I've said I don't expect to become some kind of recruiting machine. I expect Howland to recruit more like he did at Pitt and early at UCLA than he did later at UCLA.

Get some tough, solid kids that you can teach, and sprinkle in some real talent.

Howland will bring in some top guys, but he's also going to bring in some kids like this. FWIW, his ratings are decent. I can't really find any recent video.

If I had to guess, our team will be long, athletic, and ready to defend and run. Basically our optimistic view of what Ray would do, except we'll have more talent and be better coached.

If we're moving toward length, that's bad news for Dunlap, ready, and tookie

JOHNHEVESYMADE
03-25-2015, 10:21 PM
Dunlap might as well pack his bags he's first on the chopping block.

smootness
03-25-2015, 10:37 PM
I'm not as concerned with length from our PGs. It's nice to have it, but not crucial, even if that's the overall style you're going with.

chef dixon
03-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Kid will most likely be coming here, I mean he doesn't have any other offers. Looks like another Roquez in his video. Similar recruiting technique Ray had in offering guys no one else did. I'll trust howland though, he doesn't have much time and this kid could develop better under him. Also, his brother must be a stud.

smootness
03-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Kid will most likely be coming here, I mean he doesn't have any other offers. Looks like another Roquez in his video. Similar recruiting technique Ray had in offering guys no one else did. I'll trust howland though, he doesn't have much time and this kid could develop better under him. Also, his brother must be a stud.

His brother definitely seems to be a player, already has some really good offers. I'm assuming this may mean Strugg is out? They seem like similar players, actually. I'm not sure what good it does to have Strugg and Dixson in the same class.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-26-2015, 11:45 AM
His brother definitely seems to be a player, already has some really good offers. I'm assuming this may mean Strugg is out? They seem like similar players, actually. I'm not sure what good it does to have Strugg and Dixson in the same class.

Dixson is a SF. His game is actually more similiar to Houston than Roquez. We're not going to drop Strugg. We don't want to ruin that pipeline.

ETA: Montrell Dixson is his cousin not brother.

msstate7
03-26-2015, 11:47 AM
Dixson is a SF. His game is actually more similiar to Houston than Roquez. We're not going to drop Strugg. We don't want to ruin that pipeline.

We're gonna have to drop someone to keep them both. If we get Malik and kasongo, we'll have to drop 2 more.

engie
03-26-2015, 11:48 AM

Dixson is a 3. Strugg is a 4. That 2 minute mixtape makes them look similar, but I'm betting Dixson is a thread from at least midrange.

smootness
03-26-2015, 11:56 AM

You're right, I was just responding to chef's post.

I know Strugg is a little taller and is listed as a PF, but their games seem pretty similar. Engie, you may be right that he's developed some midrange game, but I actually view Strugg as a SF who is big enough to play PF based on his video.

Houston, Strugg, and Dixson would give us 3 pretty similar players. It would definitely allow us to have a lot of length and athleticism and to get out and run, but it would also give us several guys with seemingly limited games beyond their athleticism.

Maybe Howland feels like he can at the very least turn them into monsters on the defensive end.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-26-2015, 12:24 PM
You're right, I was just responding to chef's post.

I know Strugg is a little taller and is listed as a PF, but their games seem pretty similar. Engie, you may be right that he's developed some midrange game, but I actually view Strugg as a SF who is big enough to play PF based on his video.

Houston, Strugg, and Dixson would give us 3 pretty similar players. It would definitely allow us to have a lot of length and athleticism and to get out and run, but it would also give us several guys with seemingly limited games beyond their athleticism.

Maybe Howland feels like he can at the very least turn them into monsters on the defensive end.

Strugg is strictly a post player he's just not big. His game is actually similiar to Varnado's he's just not as good. Wiry, long, huge wingspan, with limited offensive game besides dunking. Not calling him the next Varnado but that is pretty much his game right now.

Political Hack
03-26-2015, 01:02 PM

it's a system fit if we're going to run. I wouldn't want him in a half court set.

Political Hack
03-26-2015, 01:04 PM

this kid has way more skill than Roq.

Bothrops
03-26-2015, 02:07 PM
this kid has way more skill than Roq.

Agreed

smootness
03-26-2015, 02:20 PM
Strugg is strictly a post player he's just not big. His game is actually similiar to Varnado's he's just not as good. Wiry, long, huge wingspan, with limited offensive game besides dunking. Not calling him the next Varnado but that is pretty much his game right now.

After going back and watching some of his tape again, I agree with you. He is extremely athletic as a PF, though. He's more athletic than Varnado.

One thing's for sure...if we have Houston, Strugg, Dixson, and Black all on the team, that is some serious athleticism at the 3/4. Again, it's not a lot of refined skill, but you definitely can turn that into an elite defensive group that can get out and run.

Dixson is actually rated higher than Strugg, FWIW.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-26-2015, 02:40 PM
After going back and watching some of his tape again, I agree with you. He is extremely athletic as a PF, though. He's more athletic than Varnado.

One thing's for sure...if we have Houston, Strugg, Dixson, and Black all on the team, that is some serious athleticism at the 3/4. Again, it's not a lot of refined skill, but you definitely can turn that into an elite defensive group that can get out and run.

Dixson is actually rated higher than Strugg, FWIW.

Very true & every team needs those glue guys to compliment your best players. Everybody can't be looking to score 20. Somebody has to guard the other team best player, get on the floor for loose balls, set good screens, & get the garbage baskets. Guys like, Sword, Ware, Ready,& hopefully Malik & Kasongo score the majority of the points while these other guys fill in the blanks.

smootness
03-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Very true & every team needs those glue guys to compliment your best players. Everybody can't be looking to score 20. Somebody has to guard the other team best player, get on the floor for loose balls, set good screens, & get the garbage baskets. Guys like, Sword, Ware, Ready,& hopefully Malik & Kasongo score the majority of the points while these other guys fill in the blanks.

Looking down the road, I think Tookie, Weatherspoon, and Simonds can be the go-to scorers, and you can add Houston to that as well. We'll have to go out and recruit a big man if we want a lot of offense from the post, but I do like that group coupled with a group of long, athletic 3s and 4s to play shut-down defense.