PDA

View Full Version : Butch Pierre is starting to leak out as a possible assistant

Coach34
03-25-2015, 12:15 PM
I would love this

Rayburn8
03-25-2015, 12:16 PM
Excuse my ignorance but who it he?

Westdawg
03-25-2015, 12:18 PM
That would be a dang homerun hire for an assistant!!

smootness
03-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Cool with me. Would he replace Brooks, or take the other spot?

CadaverDawg
03-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Holy smokes, that would be huge.

Some wanted him as a possible head man last week! Ha

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2015, 12:23 PM
News travels fast. Me & Hack were just talking about this.

Coach34
03-25-2015, 12:24 PM
Butch played PG here in the 80's. Was the right hand man for Brady at LSU and interim coach when Brady was fired. Been asst at Ok State last couple years. Good guy and great recruiter

maroonmania
03-25-2015, 12:26 PM
Pretty sure Butch played on the same teams with Jeff Malone. Been an assistant around for a while now and would be good to get him back to MSU.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2015, 12:28 PM
1 of the best recruiters in the country.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-25-2015, 12:43 PM
I found this pretty impressive as well:

Pierre received his bachelor's degree in education in 1984 and his master's of education degree in 1986, both from Mississippi State. It has been Coach Pierre's passion and mission to insure that every student-athlete he has recruited works diligently to complete his degree prior to his departure from the university. While successful in recruiting All-American athletes, he has seen these athletes have extraordinary athletic success and most of them have matriculated at their various institutions.

hopsondawg
03-25-2015, 12:49 PM
Would Brooks be ok being moved to Director of Men's Basketball Operations, or is that out of the question?

Big4Dawg
03-25-2015, 12:52 PM
Robbie reporting its looking like Pierre, Brooks, McCray, and Zeigler.

McCray is a def right now. Other 3 for 2 spots.

Coach34
03-25-2015, 12:54 PM
Butch can coach too- he's not just a recruiter

HoopsCoach21
03-25-2015, 12:59 PM

I thought there were only 3 assistant positions. I'm guessing one will be director of basketball operations, but which one?

Westdawg
03-25-2015, 01:02 PM
Only 3 on the floor though, correct? So who is in the front office?

Big4Dawg
03-25-2015, 01:08 PM
I meant the three assistants would come from those 4. That's what i meant by "McCray is a def right now. Other 3 for 2 spots."

msstate7
03-25-2015, 01:09 PM
I looked at ok st's targets and we have one in common -- shawntrez davis. I'm not sure what the deal is with davis. Osu is also recruiting the guy everyone seems to think we should offer -- diamond stone.

Bothrops
03-25-2015, 01:10 PM
Wow that a serious coaching staff. I don't think most realize how quickly our play is going to improve.

AFDawg
03-25-2015, 01:13 PM
...most of them have matriculated at their various institutions.

Well I'd hope so. To "matriculate" means to "enroll."

mic
03-25-2015, 01:15 PM
You give Brooks the recruiting or ops or what ever .. Keep him on staff and not on the floor..
If that happens and these other three are on board Holy Shit what a staff..

MetEdDawg
03-25-2015, 01:32 PM
I've been highly underwhelmed by our basketball assistants since I became a state fan. This would be by far the best bench staff we've ever had. Add Ben Howland as the head coach and the potential to elevate our program is ridiculous. Those 4 being on staff would make me feel VERY comfortable with our basketball program.

smootness
03-25-2015, 01:37 PM
I'm telling you, Howland wants to win, and he's going to make sure it happens.

He didn't take this job just to take a job. He wants to win and win big.

Political Hack
03-25-2015, 01:46 PM

and he realizes the urgency of it too, which is what I love about it so much.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-25-2015, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I fully believe that Howland is planning on using us as a stepping stone for a final big job. Which I am more than fine with.

Westdawg
03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
He wants to be able to take on Kentucky and Florida. I think this guy wants to cement himself as a legit coach. he knows that our facilities are really really good. we just pumped a ton of money into the program, are flush with cash from the SECN, we have been consistent winners until the past 3 years, our fans/alums and especially the Administration are serious about winning and winning big doing it the right way, and we are willing to give him full control of the entire program with no real interference. This guy knows he can be back at the thick of it in 1-2 yrs and make a lot of noise. Let's get this done!!!

msstate7
03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I fully believe that Howland is planning on using us as a stepping stone for a final big job. Which I am more than fine with.

I bet that's one reason Pierre wants back. Chance to take over if howland leaves

Political Hack
03-25-2015, 01:57 PM

He had his big job at UCLA. That ship has sailed. He's not leaving his next job and has said as much.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-25-2015, 01:58 PM
As long as Howland just recruits well and leaves us with a stacked roster I am happy.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-25-2015, 01:59 PM
He had his big job at UCLA. That ship has sailed. He's not leaving his next job and has said as much.

He may be too old for a big job to come calling in 3 or so years, but if one does I expect him to leave.

NeshobaChuck
03-25-2015, 02:04 PM
Finally is all I have to say

smootness
03-25-2015, 02:09 PM

Eh, we'll see. I agree that I'm fine even if he does because he will have to have a ton of success in a short period of time in order for one of those jobs to come calling.

I think the end of his UCLA tenure will scare most off unless he just kills it here, and even then, a 62-year-old coach isn't all that attractive when you have guys like Shaka, Marshall, and Brad Stevens out there.

I'll put it this way. It will have to be an elite job. You don't leave an SEC job with resources and facilities for a job like Marquette. It would need to be something along the lines of Indiana, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc. And there just aren't that many of those jobs.

I think he would take it if offered, but I don't think he's coming in here thinking about taking another job. I think he just wanted to coach again, at a place where you can win.

blacklistedbully
03-25-2015, 02:09 PM
Basketball is the sport where a great coach who can recruit can see immediate success. Cal has pretty much completely adopted the, "one & done" philosophy at UK, and is a NC contender every year.

Yes. it's Kentucky, and we will not be able to recruit to their level. But we don't need to to qualify very quickly, if not immediately for the NCAA's, and even expect to do well once there. I say NCAA's by year 2, even with the loss of seniors. I say we should expect to be one of the top 4 SEC teams by year 2 or 3.

Coach34
03-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Howland is getting paid well and is putting together a dynamite staff. It looks like he has chosen to make his final stand at State- but even if it only lasts 2-3-4 years- we'll be much better off when he leaves. People now see the commitment we will make and want to be part of that

Percho
03-25-2015, 02:16 PM
He may be too old for a big job to come calling in 3 or so years, but if one does I expect him to leave.

How many, "big," jobs are there?

Dawgface
03-25-2015, 02:17 PM

I guess that's possible. But even if he does a great job for us, I wonder how many schools would be interested in a 60 year old? I doubt he would consider a jump anytime soon.

I do hope one of the assistants will be groomed as a possible take over candidate for Howland one day. It would be ideal if Howland stays for 6-8 years building a nice winning program and then one of his assistants moves into the top spot when he retires.

Coach34
03-25-2015, 02:24 PM
Howland is 57-58. Not a lot of 60 yr old coaches look to change jobs quickly again

MetEdDawg
03-25-2015, 02:24 PM
How many, "big," jobs are there?

There's a bunch of top programs that have older coaches. Duke, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Syracuse, Louisville, Michigan State. Tom Izzo is the youngest of the coaches at those 6 schools at 60 years old. The next youngest I believe is Pitino at 62. So those 6 jobs all most likely come available in the next 3-5 years, which means there will be a lot of shuffling at the top of college basketball in the not so distant future.

If Howland gets us to the NCAA Tournament, his name could be on those schools short list when they go searching for a new head coach. But like has been mentioned, he's in his late 50s. I don't see him jumping to a big time head job at age 60 with only 4-5 years left in him before retirement.

yjnkdawg
03-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Can the Director of Operations (Basketball) do any recruiting in the field, or is that limited to the 3 on court assistant coaches?

smootness
03-25-2015, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't put Wisconsin at the same level as those other jobs. Bennett and Ryan have built it up, but historically, there program isn't great. They've elevated it to a very good one, but I still wouldn't consider it elite.

Izzo probably won't retire within the next few years, same with Pitino (and I'm sure he will push for his son to get that job once he's done). Duke and UNC will be able to get whoever they want, and I would be surprised if they come after Howland unless he just does ridiculous things here.

So again, I just don't see that much opportunity for him to jump.

yjnkdawg
03-25-2015, 02:47 PM

This and I think he wants to take the MSU basketball program to the highest level of unchartered waters that we have never seen before. Kentucky, who?

MetEdDawg
03-25-2015, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't put Wisconsin at the same level as those other jobs. Bennett and Ryan have built it up, but historically, there program isn't great. They've elevated it to a very good one, but I still wouldn't consider it elite.

Izzo probably won't retire within the next few years, same with Pitino (and I'm sure he will push for his son to get that job once he's done). Duke and UNC will be able to get whoever they want, and I would be surprised if they come after Howland unless he just does ridiculous things here.

So again, I just don't see that much opportunity for him to jump.

Not sure how you could say Wisconsin isn't an elite job. They've been to the NCAA Tournament 17 years in a row. Final Four last year and 1999-2000. Sweet 16 2007-2008, 2010-2011 and 2011-2012. Elite 8 2004-2005. There aren't more than 5 or 6 programs in the country that can say that, so I think that more than qualifies as an elite college program.

But I agree with the overall premise that by the time a team comes calling for Howland it will be too late. He will be 60 and I doubt very seriously he would want to move again for 4-5 years then call it quits. Not many coaches leave at that age. Larranaga did it, but that was from George Mason to Miami. That's a giant leap. The leap from an MSU to a big time program isn't nearly as big as the jump from a mid major to a Power 5 team.

yjnkdawg
03-25-2015, 02:52 PM

I thought Zeigler was his first assistant hired, but it must have been some false information I saw.

Johnson85
03-25-2015, 02:57 PM
There's a bunch of top programs that have older coaches. Duke, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Syracuse, Louisville, Michigan State. Tom Izzo is the youngest of the coaches at those 6 schools at 60 years old. The next youngest I believe is Pitino at 62. So those 6 jobs all most likely come available in the next 3-5 years, which means there will be a lot of shuffling at the top of college basketball in the not so distant future.

When those programs need a head coach, I doubt they will be looking for somebody in his 60's, unless they strike out on the young up and comers. The schools that can poach a coach from MSU simply aren't going to be dying to hire a 60 year old, so unless he is unhappy enough to make a jump to a lateral job, I t think he'll finish up his career here.

yjnkdawg
03-25-2015, 03:01 PM
Butch can coach too- he's not just a recruiter

With Butch being added to McCray that would be two grand slam homerun hires.

smootness
03-25-2015, 03:02 PM
Not sure how you could say Wisconsin isn't an elite job. They've been to the NCAA Tournament 17 years in a row. Final Four last year and 1999-2000. Sweet 16 2007-2008, 2010-2011 and 2011-2012. Elite 8 2004-2005. There aren't more than 5 or 6 programs in the country that can say that, so I think that more than qualifies as an elite college program.

And between 1947 and 1994, they went 0 times.

They have 0 national titles in the last 64 years, two Final 4s in that span (one coming last year), and 4 conference championships.

That's a very good job, but it's tough to know what it is outside of Bo Ryan. When that much of your success is attributable to one coach, I just can't consider you an elite job.

I'll put it this way - if all jobs were open, which would I rank ahead of Wisconsin in ability to attract a coach?:
Kentucky
Duke
UNC
Kansas
UCLA
Arizona
Louisville
Indiana
Michigan State
Maryland
Florida
UConn
Syracuse

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. I would put it in the same category as jobs like NC State, Pitt, Texas, etc.

You may disagree with that somewhat, but it's hard to put them much higher. I would say there are about 8-10 truly elite jobs. They're not one of them.

Tbonewannabe
03-25-2015, 03:11 PM
He could be at a point in his career where he thinks he could win a National title here. He does that and he is a legend here. With the tournament you don't have to be one of the few schools to compete. Butler almost won it. If he can get players playing team basketball, the South has the athletes to compete for a title.

gravedigger
03-25-2015, 03:16 PM

I expect him to leave
I expect him to never beat a top 20 team
I expect him to never make the sweet 16

I expect we'll never have a 10 win season again
I expect we'll never have a 10 win regular season
I expect we'll never.....

HEAR THE END OF THIS LOSER MENTALITY !

ScottH
03-25-2015, 03:22 PM
Take him at his word. This is his last stop.

He has found a gold mine and a redemption opportunity in the same place.

yjnkdawg
03-25-2015, 03:33 PM

Why is it if something good happens for MSU, like this homerun hire, that even before he hits the ground on the recruiting trail you hear, well, he will be here for a few years and then when a better job comes up, he will be gone. Do these people not have any confidence in our athletic program and that it may be that he wants to finish his coaching career at MSU. You know, it could be possible that Starkville and MSU is the type of environment, he and his wife really love.

messageboardsuperhero
03-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Why is it if something good happens for MSU, like this homerun hire, that even before he hits the ground on the recruiting trail you hear, well, he will be here for a few years and then when a better job comes up, he will be gone. Do these people not have any confidence in our athletic program and that it may be that he wants to finish his coaching career at MSU. You know, it could be possible that Starkville and MSU is the type of environment, he and his wife really love.

Haven't you heard? Dan is biding his time here until he can find a better job.- OUR OWN FANS circa 2010

Half a decade and a NY6 bowl later, he's still here. When was the last time we had a HC in a major sport leave for a "better job?" Pat McMahon?

RougeDawg
03-25-2015, 03:48 PM
Wow that a serious coaching staff. I don't think most realize how quickly our play is going to improve.

Not sure what you're attempting to prove. We could have gotten C34 or a pile of bricks to coach and our play would have improved.

C222
03-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Take him at his word. This is his last stop.

He has found a gold mine and a redemption opportunity in the same place.

When did he say it was his last stop? Not arguing, I just don't remember him saying that yesterday.

RougeDawg
03-25-2015, 04:50 PM
When did he say it was his last stop? Not arguing, I just don't remember him saying that yesterday.

In an interview he said something along these lines "when I made/make my next head coaching position decision, it will be my last."

C222
03-25-2015, 04:53 PM
In an interview he said something along these lines "when I made/make my next head coaching position decision, it will be my last."

Nice. We are about to see a level of talent that we have never seen before. Can't wait.

yjnkdawg
03-25-2015, 04:59 PM

I heard or read that interview too.

MabenMaroon
03-25-2015, 05:49 PM
He did say in his intro and also other first sound bytes that this would be his best job.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Looking like Pierre price tag may be too high. McCray, Brooks, & Zeigler would be the staff.

Dawgcentral
03-25-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm not going to concern myself with the possibility of him leaving at this point in time. In that regard, I'm comparing it to the Sherril hire.

I'm just enjoying the enthusiasm from the fan base right now. I was convinced we were going to drag throu another year of sparse attendance and losing,..just hoping for an NIT birth. While I guess that scenario is still present, I have hope for much more, even as soon as next year.

MSU just got serious about the basketball program. While we aren't the wealthiest school in the conference, we are at a point where $ doesn't keep us from being a threat.

I seen it dawg
03-25-2015, 06:52 PM
And between 1947 and 1994, they went 0 times.

They have 0 national titles in the last 64 years, two Final 4s in that span (one coming last year), and 4 conference championships.

That's a very good job, but it's tough to know what it is outside of Bo Ryan. When that much of your success is attributable to one coach, I just can't consider you an elite job.

I'll put it this way - if all jobs were open, which would I rank ahead of Wisconsin in ability to attract a coach?:
Kentucky
Duke
UNC
Kansas
UCLA
Arizona
Louisville
Indiana
Michigan State
Maryland
Florida
UConn
Syracuse

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. I would put it in the same category as jobs like NC State, Pitt, Texas, etc.

You may disagree with that somewhat, but it's hard to put them much higher. I would say there are about 8-10 truly elite jobs. They're not one of them.

in their defense 1994 was 21 years ago......

MedDawg
03-26-2015, 08:25 AM

Keep in mind that VERY FEW programs will outspend us now. If Howland is successful at State, we will increase his salary significantly to keep him. He'll also get HUGE State fan support and sell out the Hump like we did in the mid 2000s.

Have enough success and we'll finally build the Shrump. The Howland Shrump.

engie
03-26-2015, 08:37 AM
“Guys like Tim Duncan and Tony Parker turn down more money somewhere else so that they can be legends,” Howland told Stricklin as the plane descended on Starkville. “And they are legends of the game.”

I guess people can take what they want from that inference -- but I know what I'm taking from it...

smootness
03-26-2015, 09:14 AM
in their defense 1994 was 21 years ago......

Yes, it was. But before 21 years ago, they essentially didn't even have a program. It's next to impossible to build a program into an elite one in that timeframe. You basically need to win multiple titles like Florida or UConn did...but even then, I'm not sure I would call either of those programs elite.