PDA

View Full Version : Elijah Staley

DistrictDawg92
03-24-2015, 04:51 PM
I wonder if Howland will have some sort of meeting with him or if that ship has already sailed. Easy to forget that he may be the highest ranked basketball player we have on campus right now

Brad Stevens
03-24-2015, 04:55 PM
I have wondered about this. Admittedly, I have not been around the last few months for a combination of factors, but was there ever a statement as to why Staley didn't play this year? I was under the impression he would have been a part of the team.

DistrictDawg92
03-24-2015, 05:00 PM
He was rehabbing a knee I think

smootness
03-24-2015, 05:04 PM
He was rehabbing a knee I think

...that he injured in basketball practice, right?

I don't expect him to play much basketball for us.

I expect him to be our starting QB in 2016. If he's not, I expect him to transfer somewhere else to play QB.

DistrictDawg92
03-24-2015, 05:19 PM
...that he injured in basketball practice, right?

I don't expect him to play much basketball for us.

I expect him to be our starting QB in 2016. If he's not, I expect him to transfer somewhere else to play QB.

No I don't think it was playing basketball at all. I thought I remembered hearing it was just a nagging injury that required a minor surgery. Obviously his scholarship is for football so it would probably be up to Mullen. However, since his scholarship is in football, he would count as a walk on in basketball (I believe). I don't see any reason why he couldn't play about 10 quality minutes a game for us as an advanced "walk-on". You can never have enough 6'7" shooters, and with his weight and frame I'm sure he can help on the boards.

yjnkdawg
03-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Delete

yjnkdawg
03-24-2015, 05:25 PM
No I don't think it was playing basketball at all. I thought I remembered hearing it was just a nagging injury that required a minor surgery. Obviously his scholarship is for football so it would probably be up to Mullen. However, since his scholarship is in football, he would count as a walk on in basketball (I believe). I don't see any reason why he couldn't play about 10 quality minutes a game for us as an advanced "walk-on". You can never have enough 6'7" shooters, and with his weight and frame I'm sure he can help on the boards.

With the hiring of Coach Howland, he may be looking more at basketball.

smootness
03-24-2015, 05:26 PM

You're right.

But he's not a shooter, and he's talked about the weight affecting his athleticism some. I just don't see him playing much basketball, and I doubt Mullen wants him to.

A lot of fans seemed to think he was undecided on which he would play, but it always seemed to me he was a QB who would play a little basketball if he could. It's not worth the risk, though.

Bothrops
03-24-2015, 05:47 PM
I really doubt he plays basketball again.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2015, 05:57 PM
His basketball days are over.

Coach34
03-24-2015, 06:06 PM

Dan beat me to it- Staley is done with bball

tcdog70
03-24-2015, 06:43 PM
He did re injure his knee playing Basketball. I am pretty sure.

shannondawg
03-24-2015, 07:25 PM
With the hiring of Coach Howland, he may be looking more at basketball.

That same thought came to my mind.

But if what you are saying about Dan, that's good news as well, as his future may be starting qb.

Johnson85
03-25-2015, 08:11 AM

Does that mean he is still expected to be the starter after Dak? Or is he just committing to football now even though Fitz is ahead of him and looking good?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Does that mean he is still expected to be the starter after Dak? Or is he just committing to football now even though Fitz is ahead of him and looking good?

He's my pick to take over for Dak after he leaves. I just believe talent will win out & he's easily the most talented kid in the QB room.

Coach34
03-25-2015, 08:25 AM
He's giving up basketball 1st and foremost because of his knees.

MetEdDawg
03-25-2015, 08:34 AM
He's my pick to take over for Dak after he leaves. I just believe talent will win out & he's easily the most talented kid in the QB room.

I still think people aren't giving Fitz enough credit. He's second on the depth chart (not a difficult accomplishment but still) and he's easily got a year's worth of extra experience at the college level over Staley due to his early enrollment plus the Staley injury limiting him from taking reps.

I actually think with his triple option background that he fits the style of running Dan likes to do better. He's got a good arm and he's going to play next year. Staley probably won't. I just think Fitz is ahead of Staley and even though Staley is talented, it's going to be difficult to supplant Fitz in the near future.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2015, 08:45 AM
I still think people aren't giving Fitz enough credit. He's second on the depth chart (not a difficult accomplishment but still) and he's easily got a year's worth of extra experience at the college level over Staley due to his early enrollment plus the Staley injury limiting him from taking reps.

I actually think with his triple option background that he fits the style of running Dan likes to do better. He's got a good arm and he's going to play next year. Staley probably won't. I just think Fitz is ahead of Staley and even though Staley is talented, it's going to be difficult to supplant Fitz in the near future.

I'm not discounting Fitz at all I really like him. I just think the gap that people perceive by Fitz enrolling early isn't as big as it is. Fitz is #2 right now bc he's the only other scholarship QB able to go through full practice. I think Fitz & Staley both will get some garbage time P/T this year. I will be a great battle but I think in the end Staley will win.

Coach34
03-25-2015, 08:51 AM
As Dan said- Fitz is #2 this Spring by default right now. Staley has a lot more upside. He just has to fulfill it- that's the hard part. Fitz is gonna be solid too.

msstate7
03-25-2015, 08:54 AM
Matt Wyatt loves fitz. He talked about him on head to head yesterday. He said Williams is fighting an uphill battle to stay ahead of fitz.

Tbonewannabe
03-25-2015, 09:02 AM
With the way we run the QB it would be nice to rotate some. If Staley and Fitz are that close I wouldn't mind splitting some snaps like 75/25

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2015, 09:13 AM
Matt Wyatt loves fitz. He talked about him on head to head yesterday. He said Williams is fighting an uphill battle to stay ahead of fitz.

Yea Damian is out this spring so Fitz is going to get a lot of reps. Staley is doing everything this spring but running drills & scrimmages.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2015, 09:15 AM
I just think it's not wise to say anybody has a huge leg up on a position that's not fully open for another 12 months. In 12 months that early enrolling & extra reps this spring won't matter at all. They will both have been on campus long enough that they will know the offense well. Then it will come down to talent & leadership.

Johnson85
03-25-2015, 10:24 AM
I just think it's not wise to say anybody has a huge leg up on a position that's not fully open for another 12 months. In 12 months that early enrolling & extra reps this spring won't matter at all. They will both have been on campus long enough that they will know the offense well. Then it will come down to talent & leadership.

I don't think it's the early enrolling and extra reps this spring, it's that depending on limited Staley is this spring, Fitz will basically have two more spring practices under his belt and will go into the fall as number 2. How many meaningful practice reps are there during the season? Presumably you're going to have Fitz taking second string reps or splitting second string reps. If he splits the reps with Damien, how many reps are left for Staley? So unless Damien gets pushed to the bottom of the depth chart (which I have trouble seeing Dan do), it seems likely that the best case scenario for Staley is for he, Williams, and Fitz to split reps (which i also have trouble seeing happening, b/c then it seems like you're number two isn't getting enough reps). Maybe there are plenty of snaps for everybody, but it seems like the pressure will be on Staley to establish himself in the summer enough so that Dan can justify giving him practice reps this fall.

Of course more talented underclassmen take jobs from upper classmen all the time, so maybe it's not a big deal if he falls basically a year behind as far as practice time goes, but if Fitz is really doing well, it could be a hard gap to overcome.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2015, 10:30 AM
See that's where we disagree. I don't think Fitz will be clear cut #2 going into fall camp. Also it's not like Staley isn't practicing. He's doing everything but running & getting in contact drills. Staley is further along passing than Fitz & no he doesn't run as well as Fitz but he's a good runner.

smootness
03-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Well, the word was that Staley had climbed ahead of Fitz before his injury. So he may not need all the reps to separate himself. His natural talent is undeniable.

That said, I really don't care who wins the job. No matter what, we'll be in good shape. It's just funny that a few seem to think Fitz is being overlooked when a large majority of fans have talked about Fitz being the future and don't even really mention Staley.

All I can say is that in a Georgia 6A game, it was blatantly obvious from the first snap that Staley was far and away the best player on the field. Neither team was great, but he stands out.

Johnson85
03-25-2015, 11:18 AM
See that's where we disagree. I don't think Fitz will be clear cut #2 going into fall camp. Also it's not like Staley isn't practicing. He's doing everything but running & getting in contact drills. Staley is further along passing than Fitz & no he doesn't run as well as Fitz but he's a good runner.

And I don't have any good sources on Fitz being #2. I just say that because I've been hearing he's been doing really well while Staley has had limited practice and maybe was getting frustrated and now Williams is hurt.

Hotdawg66
03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
will be a good battle

whosyourdawgy
03-25-2015, 11:22 PM
No he did not injure his knee in basketball. It was a nagging injury that was made worse just before bowl practice started if I remember correctly. Staley was gonna go thru bowl practices then go basketball??? He never got the chance to start at basketball