PDA

View Full Version : Really professional tweet from Jeff Goodman

mstatefan91
03-24-2015, 01:22 PM
"Gotta wonder if Ben Howland regrets taking Mississippi State -- now that Arizona State popped open. Starkville or Tempe? LOL"

Why are big time media guys allowed to make statements like this?

Homedawg
03-24-2015, 01:25 PM
That guy is a clown. You can't understand a word he says on TV.

smootness
03-24-2015, 01:29 PM
Regardless of what he would have chosen, State is the right moved he needs to get away from the West and the AAU programs out there.

nsvltndog
03-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Agreed we are the better near term opening for him, but also glad to see the Arizona State job didn't pop open over the weekend. You never know how that might have turned out.

CadaverDawg
03-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Goodman is getting drilled on twitter

mstatefan91
03-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Goodman is getting drilled on twitter

I also sent him an email. Doubt I get a response but felt slightly satisfying.. lol

yjnkdawg
03-24-2015, 01:40 PM
"Gotta wonder if Ben Howland regrets taking Mississippi State -- now that Arizona State popped open. Starkville or Tempe? LOL"

Because probably they and/or their employers want to put something out there that they wiil get a reaction too, either positive or negative. That is a crappy tweet, though.

MetEdDawg
03-24-2015, 01:52 PM
I bet Howland doesn't care. Arizona State has had a better track record than us recently. But they are in the NIT this year, lost in the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament last year, lost in the 2nd round of the NIT in 2013, and were totally out of any tournament in 2012 and 2011.

I don't consider that a substantially better job. Maybe more familiar territory, but not necessarily better. Now I will say that in the long run it might have been easier at Arizona State. The SEC is about to be ridiculous in about 3 years. Calipari, Howland, Pearl, Anderson, Donovan, Fox, Stallings, whoever Bama hires, and Kennedy. That's a big time group of coaches right there.

That's a lot of name recognition, and with names like Coach K, Boeheim, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, and Bo Ryan all exiting the sport in the next 3-5 years due to age, that will open the door for the SEC to climb it's way back into the basketball discussion. It's already started, but I believe it will continue to improve over the next 3 years.

Leroy Jenkins
03-24-2015, 01:56 PM
He is a Ray sympathizer. His post is more about jabbing MSU for not bringing Ray back.

smootness
03-24-2015, 01:58 PM
That is absolutely a big-time group of coaches. And what's crazy is, we have the 3rd biggest name in that group.

ShotgunDawg
03-24-2015, 02:10 PM
This morning on Bo Bounds Howland sounded like a man that genuinely sounded like he wanted the SEC experience. He talked about SEC football, Dak, etc, and sounded like a guy that looks at coaching in the SEC as an adventure that he wants before he retires.

I don't think he cares about going back to the PAC12, after all, he turned down Oregon State last season. I think this is a man that looks at coaching & being around an SEC campus as a lifetime experience that he wanted to fulfill.

DudyDawg
03-24-2015, 02:56 PM
Lot of people getting on him. Even Bob C commented (though he didn't tag him) which I liked. People like to bash on starkville that haven't seen it since Davis wade was one tiered

RougeDawg
03-24-2015, 03:12 PM
I bet Howland doesn't care. Arizona State has had a better track record than us recently. But they are in the NIT this year, lost in the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament last year, lost in the 2nd round of the NIT in 2013, and were totally out of any tournament in 2012 and 2011.
M
I don't consider that a substantially better job. Maybe more familiar territory, but not necessarily better. Now I will say that in the long run it might have been easier at Arizona State. The SEC is about to be ridiculous in about 3 years. Calipari, Howland, Pearl, Anderson, Donovan, Fox, Stallings, whoever Bama hires, and Kennedy. That's a big time group of coaches right there.

That's a lot of name recognition, and with names like Coach K, Boeheim, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, and Bo Ryan all exiting the sport in the next 3-5 years due to age, that will open the door for the SEC to climb it's way back into the basketball discussion. It's already started, but I believe it will continue to improve over the next 3 years.

I think putting Kennedy in that group is a stretch. He's the same coach he's always been. He has just been fortunate enough the last few seasons that we haven't kept him in check like we did every year before. He also had the benefit the last couple to few years of a down SEC. With this hire he's about to get bitch slapped back into his normal state of submission.

Dawgheadcheese
03-24-2015, 03:18 PM

I have been to Tempe several times - there is nothing, and I mean nothing, special about Tempe, AZ. Unless you are retired and want the warm climate year round. I think Howland has had enough of that the past two years.

confucius say
03-24-2015, 03:19 PM
I think putting Kennedy in that group is a stretch. He's the same coach he's always been. He has just been fortunate enough the last few seasons that we haven't kept him in check like we did every year before. He also had the benefit the last couple to few years of a down SEC. With this hire he's about to get bitch slapped back into his normal state of submission.

That's actually a good point. If he splits with us, om prob doesn't get in.

engie
03-24-2015, 04:09 PM
Hate to tell him -- but Arizona St is traditionally one of the worst basketball programs in the power 5. We've experienced much more success, overall and recently(barring the last 3 years obviously)...

Back when I compiled the Sweet 16 countback among power 5 conferences and how many coaches everyone had gone thru that wasn't achieving on that level, I was absolutely floored by the lack of success by ASU. They are the 3rd or 4th worst overall program in the Pac12, and I believe worse than that on postseason accomplishments...

IMissJack
03-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Who is Jeff Goodman?

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-24-2015, 06:08 PM
What gets me with these ass hats is that it's like the coaches are choosing between two locations to retire or vacation. Ben Howland is a basketball coach and will be coaching/recruiting the majority of the time. When he has some down time all he has to do is hop on a jet and fly to his home in Cali if he wants scenery, top restaurants, the beach or whatever he is looking for.

17 these pricks

I seen it dawg
03-24-2015, 06:14 PM

Outstanding observation.

smootness
03-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Outstanding observation.

It will be interesting, for sure. It could turn out, though, that a couple of these SEC coaches take some of those jobs. If Donovan went to UNC, for example, and Pearl rehabilitated his image enough to take a job like Louisville, it would shift back.

I think guys like Stevens, Smart, and Marshall are primed to take those jobs, though.

engie
03-24-2015, 06:35 PM
It will be interesting, for sure. It could turn out, though, that a couple of these SEC coaches take some of those jobs. If Donovan went to UNC, for example, and Pearl rehabilitated his image enough to take a job like Louisville, it would shift back.

I think guys like Stevens, Smart, and Marshall are primed to take those jobs, though.

I think we're almost past the point of people leaving SEC jobs in the way we're prettymuch past it in football. Not to say that it won't happen at all -- but it won't happen often...

Bama is about to pull Gregg Marshall unless I miss my guess. They are all in on that and are floating totally stupid numbers, new arena, etc...

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-24-2015, 07:22 PM

Big time? I had to google him and still probably couldn't pick him out of a crowd of two. At first I thought you were talking about the guy from Roseanne.

yjnkdawg
03-24-2015, 07:37 PM
I think we're almost past the point of people leaving SEC jobs in the way we're prettymuch past it in football. Not to say that it won't happen at all -- but it won't happen often...

Bama is about to pull Gregg Marshall unless I miss my guess. They are all in on that and are floating totally stupid numbers, new arena, etc...

It looks like they are throwing the solid gold sink at Marshall, with money no object and all the resources he wants, as you indicated. On an ESPN Podcact I heard that Nick Saban will be involved once WS is out of the tourney and this major recruitment will begin. They also said on the podcast that if he did leave WS, that it would be taking the Texas job if offered and not Bama.

DancingRabbit
03-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Because probably they and/or their employers want to put something out there that they wiil get a reaction too, either positive or negative. That is a crappy tweet, though.

I don't agree with this. His employer is ESPN and ESPN is invested in the SEC up to the hilt. Keep it up and he will be begging the PAC12 network for a job.

Also, he has a severe case of the Eli dumb face.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/502125/n624538470_312084_8949.jpg

TheRef
03-24-2015, 07:40 PM
It looks like they are throwing the solid gold sink at Marshall, with money no object and all the resources he wants, as you indicated. On an ESPN Podcact I heard that Nick Saban will be involved once WS is out of the tourney and this major recruitment will begin. They also said on the podcast that if he did leave WS, that it would be taking the Texas job if offered and not Bama.

Problem with him going to Bama would be that NO ONE would care about basketball until at least January. He would be an afterthought. He said in an interview that he wants the fanbase to be invested in the program, and feel like they care about the games from the beginning.

yjnkdawg
03-24-2015, 07:42 PM
Problem with him going to Bama would be that NO ONE would care about basketball until at least January. He would be an afterthought. He said in an interview that he wants the fanbase to be invested in the program, and feel like they care about the games from the beginning.

+1

yjnkdawg
03-24-2015, 07:49 PM
I don't agree with this. His employer is ESPN and ESPN is invested in the SEC up to the hilt. Keep it up and he will be begging the PAC12 network for a job.

Also, he has a severe case of the Eli dumb face.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/502125/n624538470_312084_8949.jpg

I agree with you. My response was more of a generic one, but in this case it would be the they( Jeff Goodman).

DancingRabbit
03-24-2015, 07:58 PM

I hope Marshall turns Bama down. He knows he'll get paid elsewhere, like Indiana, NC or Duke.

A top basketball coach going to Bama is like when Bear Bryant was at Kentucky. Bear said at the athletic banquet Adolph Rupp got a Cadillac and he got a cigarette lighter.

mstatefan91
03-24-2015, 08:09 PM
Big time? I had to google him and still probably couldn't pick him out of a crowd of two. At first I thought you were talking about the guy from Roseanne.

If you have ESPN next to your name then you are in the top tier of sports media. Don't try to argue it any other way.

MabenMaroon
03-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Jim Rome was making fun of the Bama overtures for Marshall, telling them to bring it on and keep dreaming. He had Marshall on later in the show, but I missedthe interview. Did hear a cut later where Marshall dd say that if an offer got crazy, he would entertain it.

yjnkdawg
03-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Jim Rome was making fun of the Bama overtures for Marshall, telling them to bring it on and keep dreaming. He had Marshall on later in the show, but I missedthe interview. Did hear a cut later where Marshall dd say that if an offer got crazy, he would entertain it.

Well, at least he should be entertaining an offer then. Cause Bama is going crazy. Was anything mentioned about Texas as a possibility, because one ESPN Analyst said Texas was one of the top five jobs in the country and if they decided they wanted Marshall, that Texas would get him away from Wichita State and not Bama?

War Machine Dawg
03-25-2015, 12:07 AM

I've got a buddy who's a WSU alum. Spoke to him tonight and he's very confident they'll retain Marshall, and I tend to agree with him. WSU is a better job than Bama, for one thing. And two, Marshall has said that he won't go to a football first school. That rules out pretty much every SEC gig not named UK. Plus he turned down Mizzou last season, and I think we can all agree Mizzou is a better basketball program than Bama. Basically, Marshall can chill at WSU for a few more years then step right into an elite job like Dook, UNC, etc. when those guys start to retire.

mstatefan91
03-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Follow up tweets from Goodman:

"To all those I may have offended who live or are from Starkville, I am truly sorry. However, I'd still prefer to live in Tempe, Arizona."

"Also, regarding Mississippi St -- hate how things went down w/ Scott Stricklin firing Rick Ray after just 3 years, but Howland a great hire."

What is this guy's problem?

Liverpooldawg
03-25-2015, 04:50 PM
He can't understand firing a guy after 3 straight truely horrible seasons? Really? I take it he liked where Ray had us.