PDA

View Full Version : Not MSU related:

RossDawg82
03-24-2015, 12:05 PM
But who did not get goosebumps after they read Dr. Kyatts letter to the CL. Matt Wyatt was right in that it was a "drop the mic" type moment. Ole Miss or MSU, I applaud anyone who is willing to stand up to political pressure and speak their true feelings on the subject. I could honestly care less if they appoint a Care Bear to run OM. But if this was done by political force, because of some stupid rednecks in that area or some stupid students who put a noose around a statue, then they should be ashamed. No matter how badly we hate the idea of TSUN and everything affiliated with them, no one can say that Dr. Jones has not brought that school to a plateau they had never been before. This kind of stuff makes me very happy to have Dr. Keenum as our president.

I know it is OM related, but I would love to hear what some members of this board have to say about the Dr. Jones situation.

PS. Everytime someone mentions the name Dr. Jones, does anyone else think that Indian Jones is running things??

Tbonewannabe
03-24-2015, 12:08 PM
I worked with a guy who was a MSU fan. Dr. Jones taught their adult class at church and he only had nice things to say about him.

bobcat91
03-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Dan Jones is a very good President at UM. His major failing is that he isn't an extroverted people person and didn't know how to play politics. Make no mistake, this is a hatchet job by Borsing who dislikes Jones and Phil Bryant is in the background pulling strings. Bryant shut down the JC head search when his hand selected choice didn't get the votes. He is becoming meddlesome in education and that's not good for Mississippi.

Liverpooldawg
03-24-2015, 12:29 PM
I think that Jones and the IHL board don't see eye to eye on several subjects. One is the funding formula. He, from what I hear, thinks that UM deserves more per student than the others including us. They don't have a majority on that board, nor should they. The main dispute seems to be over UMC. I saw a statistic today in the paper that I had never heard before: UMC gets 40% of the money that is controlled by IHL. I have no idea if that's correct but if it is that is astounding. I realize healthcare isa BIG business but still. The board seems to think that the funds aren't being used wisely there. They said that Jones does a great job at Oxford and if it had been only about that campus he would have been rehired. I think THE main point of contention is that the board, and several powerful figures in state government, want to make UMC a separate entity and obviously Jones and UM disagree. I tend to agree with splitting it away. The vast majority of the students there do not come from UM and haven't for a long time.

MadDawg
03-24-2015, 12:30 PM
I'm just glad it's them having to deal with this.

RossDawg82
03-24-2015, 12:49 PM
I'm just glad it's them having to deal with this.

I know all University presidents have some political power or backing. But I sure am happy that our president has both. With the power the Keenums have in this state (not to mention the Barbour family) in his corner, I could never see a time when someone could think they could use any political pressure against our school.

Jack Lambert
03-24-2015, 01:06 PM
I am sure the justification is there to let him go but would it have happened to someone else would he had been let go. I don't know. It is what it is. They will find someone else.

Johnson85
03-24-2015, 01:15 PM
I think that Jones and the IHL board don't see eye to eye on several subjects. One is the funding formula. He, from what I hear, thinks that UM deserves more per student than the others including us. They don't have a majority on that board, nor should they. The main dispute seems to be over UMC. I saw a statistic today in the paper that I had never heard before: UMC gets 40% of the money that is controlled by IHL. I have no idea if that's correct but if it is that is astounding. I realize healthcare isa BIG business but still. The board seems to think that the funds aren't being used wisely there. They said that Jones does a great job at Oxford and if it had been only about that campus he would have been rehired. I think THE main point of contention is that the board, and several powerful figures in state government, want to make UMC a separate entity and obviously Jones and UM disagree. I tend to agree with splitting it away. The vast majority of the students there do not come from UM and haven't for a long time.

Kayat actually gave the IHL a lot of ammo if they are trying to split UMMC away from UM because he basically said the University of Mississippi Chancellor never understands UMMC. I don't know that it really matters, but I suspect UMMC doesn't save any overhead by being under Um's umbrella. Their head is going to have to be paid something close to what a university president makes, and because of their hospital operations I doubt they can even really piggy back off of UM that much for things like accounting and HR. I definitely think it should be separated from UM if Khayat gets his with to have an independent board for each school. There would be way too much potential for politics and even competition between MSU and UM to impact the management of UMMC if the IHL didn't control so much.

TheRef
03-24-2015, 01:45 PM
Kayat actually gave the IHL a lot of ammo if they are trying to split UMMC away from UM because he basically said the University of Mississippi Chancellor never understands UMMC. I don't know that it really matters, but I suspect UMMC doesn't save any overhead by being under Um's umbrella. Their head is going to have to be paid something close to what a university president makes, and because of their hospital operations I doubt they can even really piggy back off of UM that much for things like accounting and HR. I definitely think it should be separated from UM if Khayat gets his with to have an independent board for each school. There would be way too much potential for politics and even competition between MSU and UM to impact the management of UMMC if the IHL didn't control so much.

Want to know the best part? There are more MSU grads than UM grads currently enrolled at UMMC.

RossDawg82
03-24-2015, 01:50 PM
It is a tough position for a president to be in. You not only have to have great knowledge of the inner workings of a University, but you almost have to be a former Hospital CEO. But with all that being said, UMMC was a train wreck prior to Jones and he has created a very good product both at the hospital and University.