PDA

View Full Version : UCLA Site to MSU Fans: Get Excited about Howland

TheRef
03-24-2015, 09:29 AM
http://gojoebruin.com/2015/03/23/ben-howland-to-mississippi-state-a-look-at-his-transition-from-la-to-starkville/

He discusses what to expect, why UCLA left him behind, and the coaching style he will most likely have.

starkvegasdawg
03-24-2015, 09:35 AM
I love this section of the article:

"With that being said, expect a lot of slow games, Bulldog fans. Oh yeah and forget about 100-point games, those are a thing of the past. Though it’s not the most exciting brand of basketball..."

We now know he never watched any of our games the last few seasons. We're quite used to slow, low scoring games with about as much excitement as waiting for the sauce to thicken upon standing. Oh, and we lost those games, too. Now if we do all that and win then I think I speak for a good portion of the fan base when I say that will be fine by us. Much rather be on the winning side of a 63-57 score than on the losing side of a game where we score 9 points in a half.

maroonmania
03-24-2015, 09:38 AM
I love this section of the article:

"With that being said, expect a lot of slow games, Bulldog fans. Oh yeah and forget about 100-point games, those are a thing of the past. Though it’s not the most exciting brand of basketball..."

We now know he never watched any of our games the last few seasons. We're quite used to slow, low scoring games with about as much excitement as waiting for the sauce to thicken upon standing. Oh, and we lost those games, too. Now if we do all that and win then I think I speak for a good portion of the fan base when I say that will be fine by us. Much rather be on the winning side of a 63-57 score than on the losing side of a game where we score 9 points in a half.

We should tell him that with Ray's teams it was exciting when we actually scored anything above 55.

Liverpooldawg
03-24-2015, 09:38 AM
This guy is starting to sound a LOT like Richard Williams. That is fine by me. 100 point games, what are those?

mparkerfd20
03-24-2015, 09:44 AM
I remember that Gonzanga/UCLA game. I couldn't stand Adam Morrison. Low scoring, in your face basketball, where we WIN is actually the kind of basketball I prefer.

messageboardsuperhero
03-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Some UCLA fans are having selective memory about his playing style. In Howland's last year there, UCLA ran more and played faster offensively than anyone in the Pac-12, and he's said since then that his teams will continue to run in the future... Defense is a constant for him, but Howland is very adaptable.

Here he talks about changing his offensive style, starting at 2:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5fmtUDSQLA

Here is an example of his teams running in 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-nf5DiwpMg

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Howland said on Bo Bounds that he wants to run on made & missed baskets. Said he wanted to get as many easy baskets before the defense sets up. Once the defense get back & set up then we'll run our sets. That slow down offense talk is just that talk.

Martianlander
03-24-2015, 11:15 AM
"Nothing is as exciting as winning" Darrell Royal

msstate7
03-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Howland said on Bo Bounds that he wants to run on made & missed baskets. Said he wanted to get as many easy baskets before the defense sets up. Once the defense get back & set up then we'll run our sets. That slow down offense talk is just that talk.

Malik, sword, and Houston in transition would be really fun to see

RossDawg82
03-24-2015, 11:34 AM

So we have a coach that is actually going to run sets??? We have actual plays now?

Liverpooldawg
03-24-2015, 11:36 AM
You mean pass it around the perimeter and jack up a shot as the clock expires isn't a set?

msstate7
03-24-2015, 11:41 AM
You mean pass it around the perimeter and jack up a shot as the clock expires isn't a set?

I've watched a lot of the tourney and there's a ton of teams that do what we did. Those tourney teams just had guys that make perimeter shots

Liverpooldawg
03-24-2015, 12:06 PM
There is a difference in getting good shots and jacking up a shot.

MadDawg
03-24-2015, 12:20 PM
There is a difference in getting good shots and jacking up a shot.

Exactly. Far too many times under Ray we took a shot with 5 seconds on the clock that we could have taken with 25 seconds left. 20 seconds of passing it around the perimeter got us nothing.