PDA

View Full Version : Awesome speech by Cohen tonight.

State82
06-27-2013, 08:32 PM
One of the best I have heard. I assume it is archived on hailstate.com somewhere. If you did not see it, you need to go find it somewhere. As far as him taking the high road with Ron Polk, he outdid himself. Outstanding. Stricklin too. Both are to be highly commended.

bulldogcountry1
06-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Very classy and a perfect delivery.

Coach34
06-27-2013, 08:43 PM
any announcement of future plans?

SnakePlissken
06-27-2013, 09:04 PM
any announcement of future plans?
No plans hinted at or announced

bobcat91
06-27-2013, 09:14 PM
That was a wasted opportunity. When is a better time than off of a National Championship run? I know we are finishing up football but are there any rules that you can't do two things at once. And honestly, if we don't have solid plans ready to go for DN then Stricklin should be fired. It has been known for years that we need a major upgrade, it is in the MSU master plan and both Stricklin and Cohen toured facilities such as FSU and Arkansas to get ideas. Get the damn thing done.

Todd4State
06-27-2013, 09:49 PM
That was a wasted opportunity. When is a better time than off of a National Championship run? I know we are finishing up football but are there any rules that you can't do two things at once. And honestly, if we don't have solid plans ready to go for DN then Stricklin should be fired. It has been known for years that we need a major upgrade, it is in the MSU master plan and both Stricklin and Cohen toured facilities such as FSU and Arkansas to get ideas. Get the damn thing done.

I have to wonder if it is possible that Stricklin had some ideas and they were floated around on our message boards as rumors (aka removing the bleachers for hills) and once he saw how unfavorable that was, he decided to go back to the drawing board.

Homedawg
06-27-2013, 09:59 PM

So we should just go forward with an announcement ready or not. Major funds ready or not? Just because we were in the championship game? Yea he should be fired, right.

Todd4State
06-27-2013, 10:05 PM
So we should just go forward with an announcement ready or not. Major funds ready or not? Just because we were in the championship game? Yea he should be fired, right.

Agree. I have no idea what is happening behind the scenes, but this CWS run may have caused some boosters to step up and who knows what kind of plans will change.

I know football pays the bills, but I would like to see us finish what we are working on with the football stadium right now, then do Dudy-Noble field, and then finish enclosing the football field.

Whatever we do with the baseball field, I think it will only take a year to do.

bobcat91
06-27-2013, 10:12 PM
That's his job. Period. Do your job. Raise the funds and get it done.

State82
06-27-2013, 10:22 PM

Uh, no. Stricklin does not need to be fired. What Stricklin does need, however, is $$$$. He is in the process of dropping 100 mil on football facilities. I realize we are in the SEC, but that ain't chump change, especially for us. Also, determining a course of action with an existing facility that needs upgrading to the extent DNF needs it, located within a confined space, is no easy task. Can you honestly see him trying to put together such a course of action within a couple of years of the 2008-2010 era of MSU baseball? That period was abysmal. And that's being kind. He would have been laughed out of his office had he suggested that even a new bucket of baseballs be purchased, considering what Polk left us with. Then, Cohen makes a dramatic turn around in 2011 that no one really saw coming and it has escalated from there. This resurgence has rapidly fueled the fire for facility upgrades, but we don't have Warren Buffett kind of money rolling in to finance such ventures. Stricklin can't pull it out of his butt and add zeros to it. It is true that we are in dire need of it, but this is serious business. We aren't talking about a few hundred thousand here. We are talking tens of millions. I honestly don't know what the answer is, but if somebody wants it done sooner rather than later, well, they are going to have to really step up to the plate (no pun intended) with check book in hand. And it needs to be a big checkbook.

Homedawg
06-27-2013, 10:28 PM
That's his job. Period. Do your job. Raise the funds and get it done.

Write a check for 20-30 mil and it's done. It's so simple.

bobcat91
06-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Write a check for 20-30 mil and it's done. It's so simple.

I'm in the top 1000 in the bulldog club. I write my checks. You just run your mouth. Stricklin is just LT 2 with personality. Zero vision. This should have already been ready to go. And its not. Why don't you tell me who has worse facilities in SEC baseball? Jim said a couple of years back that we were in the bottom third. That was before A&M got in the conference and major or upgrades at a couple of places. Cohen was promised he would be taken care of when he got here. Time to walk the walk .

Todd4State
06-27-2013, 10:46 PM
I think it's worth noting that the grand stand was built in 1987, which was two years after the 1985 team. My point is, it's going to take a little bit of time to make sure we do this right. I don't have a problem with that. Now, if there isn't anything in three years- then I'm going to question it.

I think the real issue is we were so damn far behind in football, it's taking a toll on the entire athletic program. We should have enclosed Scott Field in 2001.

Coach34
06-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Damn, lots of good points in this thread

I dont think Strick is LT 2.0- but he isnt Greg Byrne either. He's kind of a happy medium. Considering how long LT was here, I can deal with Strick...I think. He just needs to be led where we need to go sometime. But he is a certifiable upgrade from LT. I give him a pass on the NCAA investigation, I think that was a Keenum-Bracky mistake.

I'm pretty sure our success in baseball will trigger the upgrades needed. It's been talked about numerous times, and everybody knows what the problems are. The higher ups need to make a decision on what we will get done- and get a plan. Then let the fanbase know that something is in the works.

Football expansion has to take prioriety- we lag behind there and that takes precendent. It's the money-maker. But as soon as we are able- baseball expansion/upgrades need to begin. Cohen has earned it.

bobcat91
06-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Stricklin could have announced that were beginning a funds drive and talking to an architect, J Smith, about a major upgrade. And yes the plans should have already been ready. We have needed an upgrade for 10 years. If you get a chance, look in the dug outs during a game. There are rotten wood doors on some of the cabinets. If you could really see how bad we have let this go down then you would know my passion for it. This is the one sport we can win a national championship in.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-28-2013, 07:42 AM
I doubt an announcement will be made within the next 6 months. I'm sure there are several meetings going on with architectural and engineering firms to decide on the best plan to move forward. Right now they're having to weigh the options in terms of cost effectiveness. Will it be cheaper to renovate the current stadium or just demo and build new. Like someone pointed out, the stadium is almost 30 years old and there are several problems that must be corrected. You also have to look at it 20 years from now if you want to do additional expansions down the road. With the current stadium, you might get this one in, but the down the road upgrades are off the table and you have to build a new stadium anyway. Whatever route they decide to take, it's going to be expensive so now they have to determine what is the greater value.

The Croom Diaries
06-28-2013, 08:03 AM
I doubt an announcement will be made within the next 6 months. I'm sure there are several meetings going on with architectural and engineering firms to decide on the best plan to move forward. Right now they're having to weigh the options in terms of cost effectiveness. Will it be cheaper to renovate the current stadium or just demo and build new. Like someone pointed out, the stadium is almost 30 years old and there are several problems that must be corrected. You also have to look at it 20 years from now if you want to do additional expansions down the road. With the current stadium, you might get this one in, but the down the road upgrades are off the table and you have to build a new stadium anyway. Whatever route they decide to take, it's going to be expensive so now they have to determine what is the greater value.

These are the best points I've seen in this thread.

You can't just go hire an architect, produce a set of plans and announce something. For one thing you'd have no idea of the cost because Architects know nothing about cost. You have to get general contractors involved, create budget numbers with several plans to see which is the best fit. Then before you announce it you have to make sure there is a plan to pay for it - and that may also determine which route to go with as far as how much to renovate/expand. This is a very long process that can drag on for a while. If you think Strick is ignoring DNF - that is dumb. He isn't. But there are a lot of jirations you have to go through before you can announce this type of stuff. It would be irresponsible to announce it with no intentions of building it for 2-3 years and then the fanbase would feel disillusioned, like we want to but can't.

bulldogcountry1
06-28-2013, 08:04 AM
I can't speak for Stricklin's vision because I don't know him, but it's very easy to see that he pays attention to fan's opinions and makes decisions accordingly. To compare him to LT in any way is laughable. LT had no connection to the common fan in any way. In my 4 years on campus, the only times I saw LT, he was isolated in some form or fashion. I have every confidence in Stricklin. I'm sure the guy has him own ideas and pitches them to others, but there's no way he's going to go forward with a plan without consulting Cohen, other ADs, design professionals, and the fans.

I guess I wasn't really expecting them to reveal a plan last night, but I think it would have been a good opportunity for him to mention growth and rewarding the fans in the near future. This would have piqued everyone's interest and really got a buzz going. Strike while the iron is hot.

SaltyDawg
06-28-2013, 08:07 AM

^This. I don't think a lot of you realize how long it takes to put something like a stadium expansion/renovation together. There are a ton of factors in play, you don't just throw plans together overnight.

We'll be lucky if the football expansion finishes on the scheduled date. I'd imagine as soon as that project nears completion, the baseball plans will be announced and it will break ground shortly after.

The Croom Diaries
06-28-2013, 08:19 AM
We'll be lucky if the football expansion finishes on the scheduled date. I'd imagine as soon as that project nears completion, the baseball plans will be announced and it will break ground shortly after.

On a project like building a stadium that has to be ready in time for the start of a football season, I'm sure there are some nasty liquidated damages clauses in the contract. Probably whatever would be lost in ticket revenue plus some. My estimated guess would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $50K per calendar day past the contracted schedule. The GC will work through the night to make sure this job is done on time.

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 08:26 AM
I'm in the top 1000 in the bulldog club. I write my checks. You just run your mouth. Stricklin is just LT 2 with personality. Zero vision. This should have already been ready to go. And its not. Why don't you tell me who has worse facilities in SEC baseball? Jim said a couple of years back that we were in the bottom third. That was before A&M got in the conference and major or upgrades at a couple of places. Cohen was promised he would be taken care of when he got here. Time to walk the walk .

since you are so smart, why don't you try naming the 10 SEC teams that have better baseball facilities than us. I don't give a damn "what Jim said." I want to know the truth. name em, big boy. bit timer, top 1000 boy.

SaltyDawg
06-28-2013, 08:41 AM
On a project like building a stadium that has to be ready in time for the start of a football season, I'm sure there are some nasty liquidated damages clauses in the contract. Probably whatever would be lost in ticket revenue plus some. My estimated guess would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $50K per calendar day past the contracted schedule. The GC will work through the night to make sure this job is done on time.

That liquidated damages estimate is probably pretty close, short if anything. DWS being completely finished and being 'ready' are two different things though. The GC will do enough to get a Certificate of Occupancy, but I'd imagine there will still be work left to do throughout the year. All I meant by what I said was that the DWS expansion has enough resources tied up at the moment, and it would be almost impossible to start on the Dude anytime within the next year and a half.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-28-2013, 08:47 AM
^This. I don't think a lot of you realize how long it takes to put something like a stadium expansion/renovation together. There are a ton of factors in play, you don't just throw plans together overnight.

Unfortunately, people think this is just go and start pouring concrete and slapping brick to the stadium. You're dealing with a 30 year old structure that could be at maximum design capacity. We only see the outside and say it looks like shit. There is no telling what the inside might look like and whenever you start trying to upgrade the structural integrity, time and cost can rise exponentially. The greatest factors deciding which route to go are time and money, what can I get for X dollars in Y time. Also, GC's aren't dumb, whenever they put their bid packages together, they see all the problems that will occur during the construction phase and can low ball the bid because they know they can make the money up through change orders. So, to make things short, a new stadium might be $35MM in 3 years and renovation might be $20MM in 2 years, but with change orders the renovation can turn into 5 years with a blank check. Strick and the board have to be very careful on deciding the path forward on DNF.

The Croom Diaries
06-28-2013, 09:05 AM
I guess the contractors got a hold of this thread to slap some sense into it. Bottom line - DNF will be renovated/expanded, it will just have to wait its turn.

Homedawg
06-28-2013, 09:12 AM

Congrats. I'm glad u give. There are lots on here that don't. But it will take lots and lots of top 1000 checks to make this project go without a major donor.

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Hey let's start with this proposition: The only schools in the SEC that have better baseball facilities than MSU are LSU, Arkansas, TAMU, USC, and Ole Miss. Who have I forgotten?

So while Jim is a very beloved figure in MSU lore, and no doubt he is trying to push an agenda that I agree with (upgrade of baseball facilities), all this talk is a bunch of BS about how bad things are.

Didn't they build the Palmeiro Center since Cohen has been here?

It's time to upgrade, but not for the reasons you stated.

And I don't like Stricklin, but not for the reasons you stated.

You can't gold-plate the entire campus at once. The football upgrade has been front and center, as it should be. The baseball is likely being fast-tracked, but there was no problem with the way this season went. We have facilities that are still at least mid-level in the SEC, and the SEC has the best facilities in the nation.

Coach34
06-28-2013, 09:38 AM
since you are so smart, why don't you try naming the 10 SEC teams that have better baseball facilities than us. I don't give a damn "what Jim said." I want to know the truth. name em, big boy. bit timer, top 1000 boy.

I'm not top 1000, but I can name some for sure:

LSU
SC
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Vandy
Auburn
Arkansas
Alabama will be now that they are rebuilding

That's 8 right there- I cant speak for Florida, Georgia, Tenn, or Kentucky

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm not top 1000, but I can name some for sure:

LSU
SC
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Vandy
Auburn
Florida
Arkansas
Alabama will be now that they are rebuilding

That's 9 right there- I cant speak for Georgia, Tenn, or Kentucky

You lose on Bama. Shit that is in the future does not count. That's like when those on here were trying to say UGA is a top 5 college baseball job in the USA. What a joke. "but but but...it's going to be so....I had a dream! It's in the future! Can't you see!" (while they hire kent state's coach)

I disagree on Auburn and Vandy. UF is big, but is it really better? All 3 of those are highly debatable. I think all three would trade baseball facilities with MSU.

The Croom Diaries
06-28-2013, 10:01 AM
I disagree on Auburn and Vandy. UF is big, but is it really better? All 3 of those are highly debatable. I think all three would trade baseball facilities with MSU.

Auburn would depend on whether you are talking about nice for the fans or players or both. Auburn has a nicer stadium in that it is newer, and Tim Hudson just gave them $1 mil to renovate their locker rooms. It would be nice to get that kind of funding from Paul Maholm.

Coach34
06-28-2013, 10:47 AM
You lose on Bama. Shit that is in the future does not count. That's like when those on here were trying to say UGA is a top 5 college baseball job in the USA. What a joke. "but but but...it's going to be so....I had a dream! It's in the future! Can't you see!" (while they hire kent state's coach)

Alabama just committed 30 million to their stadium- so yes- theirs will be nicer. You can disagree on Auburn- but you would be wrong as Croom Diaries just mentioned- they have invested in baseball. I dont think any of the three would trade with State- the only thing we have that is better is the outfield atmosphere

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 10:57 AM
MSU is committed to upgrading baseball in the future. So there. MSU is equal to bama in this regard. Until bama builds it, they don't have it. MSU may have a complete new field by the time Bama renovates. Future events do not constitute having better facilities at present.

As for Auburn:

https://www.google.com/search?q=auburn+baseball+field&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=i7HNUfeyCYHs8gTM9YD4Aw&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1143&bih=617#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=M6o0V5dFohUzrM%3A%3BXOYcDz5E0c2uYM%3Bhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fgrfx.cstv.com%252Fschools%252Faub%252F graphics%252Ffacilities%252Fbsb-stadium-500.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.auburntigers.com% 252Ffacilities%252Faub-10-baseball.html%3B500%3B375

https://www.google.com/search?q=auburn+baseball+field&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=i7HNUfeyCYHs8gTM9YD4Aw&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1143&bih=617#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=xt5nL_Wltrbj4M%3A%3BLYaTn06rTDy9jM%3Bhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fstadiumsusa.com%252Fimages%252Fthumbs% 252F4040363be40e6ec3fa68db1ac4dd6c80952cde98.jpg-590x1000.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fstadiumsusa.com% 252Fstadium%252Fsamford-stadium-hitchcock-field-at-plainsman-park-36849%252FAuburn%252BTigers%3B590%3B306

Wow, overwhelming how awesome that park is. clearly better than dudy noble.

Coach34
06-28-2013, 11:14 AM
MSU is committed to upgrading baseball in the future. So there. MSU is equal to bama in this regard. Until bama builds it, they don't have it. MSU may have a complete new field by the time Bama renovates. Future events do not constitute having better facilities at present.

As for Auburn:

https://www.google.com/search?q=auburn+baseball+field&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=i7HNUfeyCYHs8gTM9YD4Aw&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1143&bih=617#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=M6o0V5dFohUzrM%3A%3BXOYcDz5E0c2uYM%3Bhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fgrfx.cstv.com%252Fschools%252Faub%252F graphics%252Ffacilities%252Fbsb-stadium-500.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.auburntigers.com% 252Ffacilities%252Faub-10-baseball.html%3B500%3B375

https://www.google.com/search?q=auburn+baseball+field&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=i7HNUfeyCYHs8gTM9YD4Aw&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1143&bih=617#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=xt5nL_Wltrbj4M%3A%3BLYaTn06rTDy9jM%3Bhttp%25 3A%252F%252Fstadiumsusa.com%252Fimages%252Fthumbs% 252F4040363be40e6ec3fa68db1ac4dd6c80952cde98.jpg-590x1000.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fstadiumsusa.com% 252Fstadium%252Fsamford-stadium-hitchcock-field-at-plainsman-park-36849%252FAuburn%252BTigers%3B590%3B306

I recognize you now Sandman- you were that guy that refused to acknowledge Bianco and OM were passing us by back in 2006 after they went to back to back Supers and Polk wasnt leaving campus to recruit. You have to wait until Ray Charles shows you where to look.

War Machine Dawg
06-28-2013, 11:16 AM

As for Auburn:

You've obviously never stepped inside Auburn's park. I have. It's nicer than The Dude. Smaller? Yes. But nicer. I won't ever get the sinking feeling I got when I was there and compared it to DNF. Auburn's facility is better. Take off the maroon colored glasses. We're clearly in the bottom half of the SEC in terms of facilities.

bobcat91
06-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Not one person here would trade our ATMOSPHERE at DN for anywhere else in the country. That's not the debate. We are in the bottom of the conference in facilities. I can only name a couple of places with poorer facilities and I have not seen Missouri's field for comparison. A lot of SEC parks are not bigger, but are newer and nicer including Florida and Tennessee. If you haven't seen the other fields, then its difficult to discuss this rationally. Let's just say that we need to step it up. If you heard Kendall Graveman last night he said that he came here not because of the facilities, but because of the fans. We are the best and there is no argument. Now let's complete this with a palace for our players and fans.

SnakePlissken
06-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Too bad the Seal's aren't baseball fans!! I've often wondered why, with our devoted and rich fan base, none are that much into baseball. We've got folks who give $20 million+ for football and several million $ for basketball but none have done that for baseball. Why is that?

Vandelaydawg
06-28-2013, 12:28 PM

Yea...that $16K in lifetime giving is carrying the load for all of us. Get a clue Bob. If I had to guess, I would say Homedawg probably gives that much in a year...and you beat your chest over it as a lifetime achievement. What planet are you from!

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Any stadium that is built later in time, regardless of the sport, is going to be newer.

No one is going to go play ball at auburn because it's stadium is newer.

no fans exist who are not going to games but would go to games if dudy noble was like Auburn.

oh yeah, and how many have indoor facilities like us?

there are only about 5 places in the SEC that have noticeably nicer facilities. that's why I'm sick of this "bottom of the SEC talk." We have been passed by about 5 schools. We need to be back in the top 2, second only to alex box. it will be hard to beat that.

Original48
06-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Any stadium that is built later in time, regardless of the sport, is going to be newer.

I didn't realize Yogi Berra's grandson posted here. Awesome!

CadaverDawg
06-28-2013, 12:47 PM
I didn't realize Yogi Berra's grandson posted here. Awesome!

+1

Sandman14
06-28-2013, 02:21 PM
you guys are a trip...I set em up, you knock em down. right on, man.

bobcat91
06-28-2013, 03:46 PM
The Palmeiro Center was opened in 2005, several years before Coach Cohen arrived.