PDA

View Full Version : Ben Howland's Staff

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Of course nothing is set in stone but I feel pretty good in my assumptions of his staff.

Korey McCray
George Brooks
Scott Garson

engie
03-23-2015, 06:00 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Garson

Dude has been lights out as a hc at a lower level school,...

Coach34
03-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Yeah- I heard Garcon last nite- stoked about him. Solid young coach. Brooks? Not so much

msstate7
03-23-2015, 06:04 PM
I wanna keep brooks or get Kirby. I have no opinion on the 3rd guy

Homedawg
03-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Yeah- I heard Gar?on last nite- stoked about him. Solid young coach. Brooks? Not so much

There has to be something to brooks. He's being kept by the second straight coach. Maybe he isn't a coaching guru, but he apparently has some merit to be kept. And I have only met the guy, don't know him nor do I care one way or the other what we do. Just saying.

DanDority
03-23-2015, 06:10 PM
No on Brooks!

BeardoMSU
03-23-2015, 06:11 PM
There has to be something to brooks. He's being kept by the second straight coach. Maybe he isn't a coaching guru, but he apparently has some merit to be kept. And I have only met the guy, don't know him nor do I care one way or the other what we do. Just saying.

I agree. This can't be trivial, he's definitely serving some type of important role here.

mic
03-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Per my source Garson would be a huge get.
Worked with Majures at Utah before joining Howland at UCLA..

MaxedOutMaroon
03-23-2015, 06:24 PM
No on Brooks!

Watch out, some of these folks are still stuck on Brooks bringing in Hood. Oh wait, hood didn't stay when Brooks did.

engie
03-23-2015, 06:27 PM
I'm convinced Brooks has nailed half this board's girlfriends...

Just don't understand the hate for him...

MaxedOutMaroon
03-23-2015, 06:32 PM
I'm convinced Brooks has nailed half this board's girlfriends...

Just don't understand the hate for him...

Convince me why he's so solid, then I might change

JOHNHEVESYMADE
03-23-2015, 06:32 PM
We need a guy that has MSU ties on this staff. Brooks makes the most sense because he is the lead recruiter on Malik, his son is a good player down at Auburn High, knows every coach in MS and AL, and knows what alumni and boosters to tie Howland with. He would be good at getting the ball rolling quickly. Recruiting in the south is different as yall know, I think Brooks would be a great addition to Howland's staff along with McCray and a wildcard assistant. If not Brooks then I would like Butch Pierre or Robert Kirby.

Jacksondevildog
03-23-2015, 06:34 PM
What about Brooks' in with Malik and the fact that his son is a stub sophomore in Alabama? That's a pretty good reason to retain, at least for a few years.

I seen it dawg
03-23-2015, 06:43 PM
We need a guy that has MSU ties on this staff.

Why?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2015, 06:45 PM
The guy is responsible for the best recruits we've gotten the last 5yrs. Hood, Sword, Weatherspoon, & Hicks. He's also the reason we're in it as much as we are with Malik. Not to mention he has us in it with Mario Kegler. Not to mention he does have a big time son in the 2017 class that is very tight with some big time recruits in Bama. If Robert Kirby had done the same during this time we'd be saying give him the head coaching job. The hate just doesn't match.

Coach34
03-23-2015, 06:49 PM
Just a reminder for the haters- I posted this last night:

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?29902-Another-Howland-protege&highlight=Protege

Intramural All-American
03-23-2015, 07:03 PM

Give a reason why he's so horrible?

MaxedOutMaroon
03-23-2015, 07:12 PM
The guy is responsible for the best recruits we've gotten the last 5yrs. Hood, Sword, Weatherspoon, & Hicks. He's also the reason we're in it as much as we are with Malik. Not to mention he has us in it with Mario Kegler. Not to mention he does have a big time son in the 2017 class that is very tight with some big time recruits in Bama. If Robert Kirby had done the same during this time we'd be saying give him the head coaching job. The hate just doesn't match.

Hood left, Sword is good, weatherspoon will be good, Hicks is unproven. I'm just saying sounds like Korey will be a great recruiter. I'd prefer an elite X's and O's assistant. I understand everyone's opinions, but it's all focused on recruiting

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2015, 07:14 PM
Hood left, Sword is good, weatherspoon will be good, Hicks is unproven. I'm just saying sounds like Korey will be a great recruiter. I'd prefer an elite X's and O's assistant. I understand everyone's opinions, but it's all focused on recruiting

Scott Garson is the X & O assistant. Our head coach is a X & O guy. You have 2 proven recruiters & 2 X & O guys.

MaxedOutMaroon
03-23-2015, 07:15 PM
Give a reason why he's so horrible?

Never said he was horrible, just think we can do better. I kind of want to purge Stans staff in general, and bring in a new face with MSU ties.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2015, 07:16 PM
Trust me we want Brooks on staff. It's for our benefit.

MaxedOutMaroon
03-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Scott Garson is the X & O assistant. Our head coach is a X & O guy. You have 2 proven recruiters & 2 X & O guys.

You've convinced me enough that I'm fine if he stays, but I still prefer newness

engie
03-23-2015, 07:36 PM

The two biggest known basketball boosters on this board said so. I'll take their word for it...

tcdog70
03-23-2015, 07:49 PM
Why not keep Brooks. The players like Him. he knows MSU and The State of Miss. Howland is smart enough to know who He wants as assistants. Back off the criticism and see what happens then support it.

sbcmortgageman
03-23-2015, 08:05 PM

Say goodbye to Hicks.

smootness
03-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Say goodbye to Hicks.

For now.

Simonds also decommitted, and I think we'll end up getting him back.

whosyourdawgy
03-24-2015, 08:34 AM
Just heard on out of bounds that McCray knows Simonds well so if he's on staff I feel good about keeping him

jumbo
03-24-2015, 08:41 AM
Brooks is the basketball version of Tony Hughes and he should be retained. As others have mentioned Howland and Garson (assuming he comes) are you Xs and Os guys so use the other spots on recruiters.

maroonmania
03-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Brooks is the basketball version of Tony Hughes and he should be retained. As others have mentioned Howland and Garson (assuming he comes) are you Xs and Os guys so use the other spots on recruiters.

I'm fine with retaining Brooks, basketball assistants are as much or more for recruiting and scouting upcoming opponents as they are for coaching. We need to keep some familiar ties in the area with High School coaches and players.

fishwater99
03-24-2015, 09:04 AM
Word is that Brooks is staying on staff.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Brooks was always staying. Only a few msg board guys wanted to get rid of him.

gtowndawg
03-24-2015, 09:13 AM
Can we expect more off season knee blowouts?

In all seriousness....I do think it's time to start over in that dept. Richard is all Bulldog, has been for a LONG time. But I wish we would bring in some young blood.

Liverpooldawg
03-24-2015, 09:43 AM
You need somebody with connections in Mississippi high school coaching circles on the staff.

messageboardsuperhero
03-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Brooks was always staying. Only a few msg board guys wanted to get rid of him.

If Dan wants Brooks to stay, then I want Brooks to stay.

shannondawg
03-24-2015, 09:53 AM
I cringe every time I hear X & O's.

RossDawg82
03-24-2015, 10:13 AM

No one knows, but how many assistants can you name that have made it through 2 coaching changes. The question isn't the love or hate for the guy, it is what does he bring that allows him to stay with 2 different coaching changes. That's almost unheard of. They see something in him that we obviously do not.