PDA

View Full Version : Great read from a UCLA guy.....

basedog
03-23-2015, 05:38 PM
A UCLA fans perspective on Howland...
2:24 PM
Here's my take on Howland:

Pros: A VERY good X's and O's coach. He is all about fundamentals, and of course -- defense. He plays a grinding style of defense, and loves games in the 50s-60s (UCLA called it 'Ben Ball'). It's really fun to watch his older UCLA teams completely put the clamps down on teams. With the right athletes, he'll only play man-to-man. Offensively, he runs motion a good deal of the time. He'll push it when need be, but his teams tended to be a bit methodical on the offensive side of the ball. A very good coach at developing players. Russell Westbrook, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Darren Collison were all 3-star recruits.

Cons: A weird personality. Gruff, quirky, and not a players coach. Unlike UNC and some other schools, players couldn't wait to leave for the NBA and would often take the plunge (even if not ready). He burned a lot of bridges in recruiting circles out west (which shouldn't be a problem for MSU).

Here's the deal with Ben: He's a great basketball coach. He'll have to surround himself with personable, gregarious assistants.

The reason his tenure at UCLA ended was purely from a recruiting standpoint. He took UCLA to the three-straight final fours with tough-minded, hard-nosed athletes (with the occasional elite prospect -- like Kevin Love, Arron Afflalo). He recruited those diamonds in the rough with a chip on their shoulder. These types of athletes weren't necessarily great shooters/scorers, but they helped him win games.

Because UCLA lost to Memphis (Derrick Rose) and Florida (Noah, Horford, Brewer), he changed his recruiting philosophy -- basically forgetting about local kids and instead targeting elite kids from out of the area -- in order to "improve" the scoring talent. This was his greatest failure. He negated local kids like James Harden (among others) and didn't sign a PG for four-straight seasons. He then looked into the JC ranks and signed kids that could shoot, but not play defense/weren't athletic. Also went after kids that weren't high character (like Reeves Nelson, Renardo Sidney). He won with high character guys (Afflalo, Collison, Mbah a Moute). In essence, he went away from what made him successful in the first place.

I personally think the time away from basketball did him good. At MSU, he won't be fighting for top 10 kids like he did at UCLA. He's at his best when he signs athletic, tough kids and builds the program around defense and athleticism. Sprinkle in a few shooters, and you'll have a good team. I think he can definitely make some noise with the right personnel. McCray is a good hire -- he got UCLA Tony Parker and Jordan Adams.

A great hire, IMO.

AFDawg
03-23-2015, 06:03 PM
That seems like a good fit for us.

tcdog70
03-23-2015, 08:28 PM
Stansbury on steroids

Jack Lambert
03-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Tell me this. Is his kids going to be balll boys? I really hated that crap with Stands.

smootness
03-23-2015, 09:00 PM
The thing is, the changes he made may not have worked for the most part, but they definitely worked his last year. Had the fastest pace of play in the Pac-12 and won the league with a big-time recruiting class.

One thing he has proven throughout his career is that he can win in a number of different ways and is not too stubborn to refuse to change.

The guy just wants to win, and probably does now more than ever.

Treemydawg
03-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Tell me this. Is his kids going to be balll boys? I really hated that crap with Stands.

Come on man. Does it really matter??? That's probally one of the highlights of those kids lives being able to do something like that.

DanDority
03-23-2015, 09:21 PM

ME TOO!! Really made us look Bush league! I don't care if his kids loved it or not it made our University look like a Jr. High, which is when my dad would let me run out with his team. Not his high school team back in the 80's.

coastdoglover
03-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Move on guys. You are ate up with Stansbury. This is about Howland, quit the BS we have had for a decade. Time for everybody to get on the boat.

basedog
03-23-2015, 10:00 PM
I completely agree Coastdoglover! It just gets old talking or listening to folks who live in the past.

Maybe Howland will change all of the bashing.

Bully13
03-23-2015, 10:00 PM
oh the horror. his demise was losing in the 1st round after winning the pac 10 ship. we're all going to die.

Johnson85
03-23-2015, 10:16 PM

That's ridiculous. Being a division I coach means making huge sacrifices with respect to your family. I'm perfectly happy for coaches to limit that in any way they can. Standburys kids didn't have any negative impact on our program.

DanDority
03-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Move on guys. You are ate up with Stansbury. This is about Howland, quit the BS we have had for a decade. Time for everybody to get on the boat.

I've moved on, I had season tickets this past season and will have have them this coming season as well. However, I will be using them more often.

DanDority
03-23-2015, 10:25 PM
That's ridiculous. Being a division I coach means making huge sacrifices with respect to your family. I'm perfectly happy for coaches to limit that in any way they can. Standburys kids didn't have any negative impact on our program.

I say you are wrong about this. Perception is reality.

smootness
03-23-2015, 10:52 PM
I say you are wrong about this. Perception is reality.

There were a lot of perception issues with our program, and not a single one of them revolved around Stans' kids being visible.

FWIW, I loved it. Different is not always bad.

War Machine Dawg
03-23-2015, 11:23 PM

Says the guy who can't let go of his hate-on for C34 and is the shining example of the University of Stans faction. Shut yer mouth, open yer wallet.

War Machine Dawg
03-23-2015, 11:24 PM
There were a lot of perception issues with our program, and not a single one of them revolved around Stans' kids being visible.

FWIW, I loved it. Different is not always bad.

This. The players never had a problem with it or were distracted by it. In fact, they enjoyed it. Nothing to see here. Move along.