PDA

View Full Version : Gary Parrish about to discuss MSU/Howland on 92.9 Memphis.

Outside Dawg
03-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Tune in for his perspective.

mcain31
03-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Parrish said that Adidas may have been the driving force behind this.

Outside Dawg
03-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Really good info from Gary Parrish. Gary understands college basketball as well as anybody. Regardless of what you or I think of all of this, this is what somebody big in college basketball from the outside thinks of our situation. Too much info to summarize, but he covers MSU, Howland, what went wrong at UCLA, Stansbury, Ray, all of it. Interesting perspectives...

teaser, he loves Ben Howland.
Heres the link to the podcast of his show. It was hour 1, about 10 or 15 minutes in. http://media.espn929.com/the-gary-parrish-show-with-geoff-calkins.htm

Bigedawg
03-23-2015, 06:17 PM
Either the link has not been updated or I can't find it? Really interested to hear what Parrish had to say as he is normally overly critical of anything MSU related.

oldjoedawg
03-23-2015, 06:25 PM
Parrish can't be all that 'big-time'....he graduated from Horn Lake High School in Desoto County....lol....local boy makes good....this from good ole HLHS Alum Class of '58

Really good info from Gary Parrish. Gary understands college basketball as well as anybody. Regardless of what you or I think of all of this, this is what somebody big in college basketball from the outside thinks of our situation. Too much info to summarize, but he covers MSU, Howland, what went wrong at UCLA, Stansbury, Ray, all of it. Interesting perspectives...

teaser, he loves Ben Howland.
Heres the link to the podcast of his show. It was hour 1, about 10 or 15 minutes in. http://media.espn929.com/the-gary-parrish-show-with-geoff-calkins.htm

IMissJack
03-23-2015, 06:27 PM
Either the link has not been updated or I can't find it? Really interested to hear what Parrish had to say as he is normally overly critical of anything MSU related.

That is the best thing about hiring someone that has been successful and has a national presence. The normal goofs that hate on MSU just because it is MSU can't really say anything too negative because they look really stupid when national media is saying how good a hire it is.

Outside Dawg
03-23-2015, 06:59 PM
I'm sure it will be updated later tonight or over night.

Outside Dawg
03-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Here it is. Go to hour 1. It starts at 11:50.
http://media.espn929.com/device/mobile/a/103577404/gary-parrish-show-3-23-15-hour-1-w-cbs-allie-laforce-live-in-seg-2.htm?

AFDawg
03-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Man, Parrish is a douche, even when he's praising us.

ScottH
03-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Snarkiness aside, pretty insightful observations.

I imagine without hearing it directly from one of the principals, it's about as well pieced together as you could get.

DawgInMemphis
03-24-2015, 06:27 AM
I listen to Parrish regularly, and to me he seems to have somewhat of a negative bias towards MSU. I generally agree with much of what he has to say regarding State, but in my opinion he frames what he says with negative connotations. It doesn't keep me from listening, just something that I've noticed. Perhaps it's just me.

dickiedawg
03-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Yeah, listening to that segment you don't get the feeling he thinks very highly of MSU.

cheat2win
03-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Parish does not harbor some sort of ill will towards State, he is actually very pro state of Mississippi in general. Gary's biggest stance against anything the program did was taking a chance on Sid, and he was right in saying it would turn out bad.

Tripp McNeely
03-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Parish does not harbor some sort of ill will towards State, he is actually very pro state of Mississippi in general. Gary's biggest stance against anything the program did was taking a chance on Sid, and he was right in saying it would turn out bad.

His wife and a lot of his really good friends (I grew up in Southaven and am only a year younger than Parrish...so, we have several mutual friends) are really big bears...hence the snarkiness.

DancingRabbit
03-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Yeah, he loudly proclaims his neutrality but I listen to him a good bit and he is definitely a closet bear. He was on this morning with Calkins crying about how bad we treated Rick Ray. He's connected and well-informed but he will always act a douche towards MSU, sometimes subtle, sometimes loud and clear.

His wife and a lot of his really good friends (I grew up in Southaven and am only a year younger than Parrish...so, we have several mutual friends) are really big bears...hence the snarkiness.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-24-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry, but I missed anything positive out of that rant. I can't believe any State fan would enjoy listening to it. I kept waiting and waiting on him to say something good, but it was just cheap shot after cheap shot towards State.