PDA

View Full Version : I'd imagine the Bama basketball faithful are starting to get a bit antsy

HSVDawg
03-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Recent splash hires at their two closest conference rivals, the latter of which was done in a matter of 48 hours with them going on 2 weeks without a coach being named. If they swing and miss on Marshall it may get Bill Battle feeling a pretty strong backlash.

smootness
03-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I think it's clear they're going to throw everything at Marshall. The problem is, Marshall has intentionally stayed at Wichita State to wait for jobs bigger than the in-between kind. Bama is clearly not a top job, so it will be very tough to get him.

If they miss on Marshall, they will likely have to hire someone like Prohm, who is a pretty good hire but certainly not a home run and would put them instantly behind both Auburn and us.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2015, 01:41 PM
They're all in on Marshall. Said they are going to start at $3mil & keep going til he can't say no. They have to land him now MSU & Auburn have made big time hires.

msstate7
03-23-2015, 01:43 PM
They're all in on Marshall. Said they are going to start at $3mil & keep going til he can't say no. They have to land him now MSU & Auburn have made big time hires.

I'd offer the same thing to Marshall and miller. Keep going up till the first one bites

mstatefan91
03-23-2015, 01:47 PM

Did you talk to Saban about this Dan?

Can you get some tips on in game adjustments please?*********

Will be interesting to see if Bama does get Marshall. The coaching in the SEC will have taken a huge step forward, if so

smootness
03-23-2015, 01:50 PM

That may be the case, but it still doesn't matter if Marshall doesn't want it.

Marshall can have a job like Alabama literally any time he wants it. He can also, at this point, probably have an elite job if one opens. So you either take the money at Bama and risk going into an extremely tough situation that will take a while to turn around (and potentially hurt your reputation and ability to get a better job), or you can wait another year or two and probably walk into an awesome job.

If I were Marshall, it wouldn't matter what Bama offered me, I wouldn't take it.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2015, 01:56 PM
That may be the case, but it still doesn't matter if Marshall doesn't want it.

Marshall can have a job like Alabama literally any time he wants it. He can also, at this point, probably have an elite job if one opens. So you either take the money at Bama and risk going into an extremely tough situation that will take a while to turn around (and potentially hurt your reputation and ability to get a better job), or you can wait another year or two and probably walk into an awesome job.

If I were Marshall, it wouldn't matter what Bama offered me, I wouldn't take it.

I totally understand & don't disagree but when those dollars start to mount up it's hard to say no.

smootness
03-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Marshall's already making close to $2 million per, btw, and I'm sure Wichita State would be able to increase that at least a little if they need to.

Alabama would probably have to offer at least $4 million/year to even get into a conversation, and I'm just not sure they're willing to do that in basketball.

Also, they have an interim president and an old AD, so it's not an extremely attractive situation for a new coach.

Thick
03-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Katz just said he doesn't think Marshall will go, because a top 10 school will be offering soon.

Jack Lambert
03-23-2015, 02:36 PM
It isn't football and they probably don't care as much as we would.

RiverCityDawg
03-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Yep. The "If Moo U can get Howland to Starkville, surely Bama can get Marshall to T-Town!!!!1!1!!!!" rhetoric has already started around here.

smootness
03-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Yep. The "If Moo U can get Howland to Starkville, surely Bama can get Marshall to T-Town!!!!1!1!!!!" rhetoric has already started around here.

The thing about getting Howland is that we were simply in the right place at the right time. We saw the opportunity and capitalized on it. We would not be able to get somebody like Howland had the SI article not been written, or if he hadn't turned down some offers and sat around for a couple years.

We struck gold. This doesn't mean any SEC school can now go out and get a big-time name. We just got lucky, and I'm so glad we did.

dawgs
03-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Katz just said he doesn't think Marshall will go, because a top 10 school will be offering soon.

Lots of rumors that Donovan may be gone to the NBA this year...could florida be coming? Or is Indiana just gonna ax crean (who they wanna push out and hoped like hell Bama would take off their hands) once Wichita loses out and make a play for him?

smootness
03-23-2015, 03:34 PM
I'm not even sure Florida is a big enough job.

I think Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC, Indiana, UCLA, and Arizona are the top jobs in the country. And I think jobs like Louisville, Syracuse, Michigan State, UConn, and Maryland are arguably better.

I put Florida at the same level as jobs like Ohio State and Texas. Donovan's success may have moved it above those, but it's fairly similar.

Johnson85
03-23-2015, 03:41 PM
I'm not even sure Florida is a big enough job.

I think Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC, Indiana, UCLA, and Arizona are the top jobs in the country. And I think jobs like Louisville, Syracuse, Michigan State, UConn, and Maryland are arguably better.

I put Florida at the same level as jobs like Ohio State and Texas. Donovan's success may have moved it above those, but it's fairly similar.

I'll go with UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC, UCLA as being better. Obviously Indiana's had a pretty incredible history and Arizona has a good one, but I have trouble thinking that Florida's size and location and recent success with Donovan doesn't make it equal to them.

yjnkdawg
03-23-2015, 03:45 PM
ON a CBS Gary Parrish Podcast, it was said that Bama will be throwing everything at Gary Marshall, once Wichita State is out of the tourney. It was said that AL was going to make Marshall turn them down, but money is no obstacle and he will have unlimited resources (plane travel , facilities, etc.) if he accepts. They also said that Nick Saban was involved in the recruiting effort too. It was also said that Wichita State is not Alabama's main obstactle, but Texas could be. One commentator said Texas was considered to be one of the top five coaching jobs in the country and if it was between Texas and Bama that Texas would win out.

Coach34
03-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Stands is obviously not in the running. I thought he was getting a head job this year?

smootness
03-23-2015, 04:00 PM
I'll go with UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC, UCLA as being better. Obviously Indiana's had a pretty incredible history and Arizona has a good one, but I have trouble thinking that Florida's size and location and recent success with Donovan doesn't make it equal to them.

Maybe so. It probably depends on what a coach is looking for. If they're looking solely at money, there are schools who can probably offer more of it than Indiana and Arizona. But if they're looking at fan support and importance at the university, those would win out over a place like Florida.

Location doesn't really matter much, to me. Florida isn't nearly the same in basketball as it is in football, and there is a ton of talent in the Midwest and Northeast.

BeardoMSU
03-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Southeastern Missouri Just fired their coach, maybe Bama can give him a ring. His name is "Dickey Nutt", I shit you not, lol.

Coach34
03-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Prohm ends up at Bama I think

msstate7
03-23-2015, 04:19 PM
Southeastern Missouri Just fired their coach, maybe Bama can give him a ring. His name is "Dickey Nutt", I shit you not, lol.

Maybe Ray will land a job at a small school like that

HSVDawg
03-23-2015, 04:54 PM

That's Houston Nutt's brother if I'm not mistaken. Seriously.

BeardoMSU
03-23-2015, 05:03 PM
That's Houston Nutt's brother if I'm not mistaken. Seriously.

Hmm, well I guess it's no mystery as to their mom's favorite "parts" of their dad, then....

KB21
03-23-2015, 05:05 PM
The thing about getting Howland is that we were simply in the right place at the right time. We saw the opportunity and capitalized on it. We would not be able to get somebody like Howland had the SI article not been written, or if he hadn't turned down some offers and sat around for a couple years.

We struck gold. This doesn't mean any SEC school can now go out and get a big-time name. We just got lucky, and I'm so glad we did.

We should be thanking Rick Ray for making the program more presentable than it was when he took the job. Three years ago, a coach the caliber of Ben Howland doesn't even look at this job. Now, he chooses this job a year after he turned the Oregon State job down.

smootness
03-23-2015, 05:11 PM
We should be thanking Rick Ray for making the program more presentable than it was when he took the job. Three years ago, a coach the caliber of Ben Howland doesn't even look at this job. Now, he chooses this job a year after he turned the Oregon State job down.

Absolutely, no doubt.

But Howland also doesn't take the job last year or two years ago because he wasn't ready to take a job like this.