PDA

View Full Version : "In my mind, my next job is where I'm going to finish my career''-Ben Howland, 2/2015

blacklistedbully
03-23-2015, 12:28 PM
"In my mind, my next job is where I'm going to finish my career,'' he says. "I want to make sure it's the right situation where we have great success."

In typical Howland fashion, he then tightens his jaw and makes a promise.

"I'm really fired up about getting back into it, and I hope to do it next year,'' he says. "And this time around, I will do the best job I've ever done.''

Other Howland comments:

"I don't know where people got that I didn't have a good relationship with my players," Howland says. "I'm demanding, yes, I'm on their butt, I expect 100%, but they all knew I loved them, I cared for them, and I'll always be there for them."

"The TV has been great, but it's made me miss coaching even more,'' he says.

starkvegasdawg
03-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Sounds like just what we need.

smootness
03-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Awesome. I think this is why he was turning down offers, too. If he was planning on it being his last job, he wanted a really good job.

But he realized those likely weren't coming along, so he needed to take something to get back in the game. We definitely were at the right place at the right time, but we also saw our opportunity and capitalized.

blacklistedbully
03-23-2015, 01:16 PM
I feel as though our Athletic Department and our administration, particular Dr. Keenum, have made our university a great place to be a coach. Sure, Rick Ray didn't get more than 3 years, but he got a better chance than his resume seemed to warrant.

Mullen, Schaffaer, Studeman, Cohen, and on and on, our staff really seems to help make this place special. Expectations are there, but not unrealistic, and not without a plan to give them the tools they need to succeed. We've got good people in positions of responsibility.

It_Could_Happen
03-23-2015, 01:19 PM
I think a lot of that is based on what Dan has done here. He has had a few opportunities to take other jobs, however he has said that this is the place he wants to raise his family, and I think the national media is taking notice that Starkville is a great place to call home.

Coach34
03-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Pine Box Howland