PDA

View Full Version : Howland hire should give everyone confidence that SS knows what he's doing.

rbdog82
03-23-2015, 12:07 PM
I agree, he missed on Ray, but this is a home run. I certainly appreciate Ray for how he handled a difficult situation, and I do agree that people turned down our job left and right after Stans. I'm not sure we could've done better at the time. However, this is a great hire. We can say that SS was forced to make a change regarding Ray, but he deserves credit for the process and the hire.

mstatefan91
03-23-2015, 12:09 PM
This will not end well...

rbdog82
03-23-2015, 12:10 PM
This will not end well...

Just stating that a person should get credit for their successes as well as mistakes. Nothing more.

mstatefan91
03-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Just stating that a person should get credit for their successes as well as mistakes. Nothing more.

I'm neutral in this matter. Just stating the obvious

confucius say
03-23-2015, 12:12 PM
This should be a fun thread.

thedawg
I think it is pretty obvious that he deserves some apologies from some message board posters...

Liverpooldawg
Scott is doing a great job. The athletic department is in the best shape it has ever been in and it's not even close.

smootness
03-23-2015, 12:15 PM
Scott is doing a great job. The athletic department is in the best shape it has ever been in and it's not even close.

This

Anyone still claiming he's an 'aw shucks' guy who is in over his head is insane.

thunderclap
03-23-2015, 12:16 PM
I've called him a peckerhead a few times. I guess I'll take it back. But remember, Dr. Z hired Jackie. Not LT. But I promise not to call him a peckerhead anymore.

cheewgumm
03-23-2015, 12:18 PM
I hope he is the one who spearheaded this, but it does not feel like him, or a move he would make.

The feel is someone said "F losing...this BS ends now. Go get Howland."

Doesn't sound like double S.

smootness
03-23-2015, 12:21 PM
I just wish those who say 'someone did this over Stricklin's head' would suggest just who that person might be. Keenum, fine, but their relationship does not seem to work that way.

Anyone else? Tell me.

It seems like everyone thinks all college programs work like SMU's, and certain guys with money just make all the decisions. It doesn't work anywhere close to that way. Regardless of whether or not this was initially Stricklin's idea, he obviously made it happen.

rbdog82
03-23-2015, 12:23 PM
That is exactly SS's mindset (minus the four letter words). He owned his mistake and made up for it in a big way.

confucius say
03-23-2015, 12:27 PM
I agree that ss had to play a large role. But I've heard the initial contact was through a former player, Adidas reps, and a booster. I read that on here I think. Bottom line is, those who don't like ss for the Stans/ray situation will never give him credit, facts be damned. But we all need to sing Kumbaya and start pulling the same direction.

thedawg
03-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Speculation into who did what doesnt matter.. The buck stops at Scotts desk. He gets credit for the failures and successes..

Facts:
Phenomenal hires in Softball, Womens Basketball.
Keeps two very successful inherited coaches happy in Football and Baseball.
Both of our major sports have seen peaks NEVER before achieved before him.
Major Major facility upgrades in Football and New baseball stadium.
Very Poor Hire in Mens Basketball.
Rectify poor hire by firing a year earlier than almost everyone thought he would.
Makes perceived home run hire in Mens basketball.

Scott is doing a fine fine job. Look at the facts.

cheewgumm
03-23-2015, 12:29 PM
If so, then he deserves a lot of praise for it.

Coach34
03-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Right after we make sure and thank LT for hiring Jackie Sherrill

Bubb Rubb
03-23-2015, 12:30 PM

I like Stricklin and haven't been one of the critical ones about his job. But to be fair, our athletic department is in the best shape it's ever been for many reasons. Stricklin is part of that, certainly. But it starts with Fogelsong getting rid of LT, Byrne having the guts to fire Croom (a potential mess) and Polk (a legend), and hire Mullen (a career assistant), a president (Keenum) that's all-in on athletic success, and oh yeah, that little thing called the SEC Network making us flush with cash. It's happening under Stricklin's watch, so he deserves some credit, but he's not the sole reason.

ETA: He deserves immense credit for having the balls to move on Stansbury when that wasn't a totally popular decision. He knew Stans had to go. The Rick Ray hire was a fumble, but it wasn't a very attractive job at that time, either, and he struggled to find something better. In hindsight, three years of struggle are worth the price to end up with a guy like Howland.

blacklistedbully
03-23-2015, 12:37 PM
Happy to say I am one of those who has backed Strick from the beginning.

maroonmania
03-23-2015, 12:37 PM
I will at least give him credit for not falling on his sword for Rick Ray and being willing to make the move when a MUCH better option was laid on the table.

DancingRabbit
03-23-2015, 12:43 PM
I've thought all the anti-Stricklin chatter to be mostly internet bravado.

As I have said before on here, I believe the Stans-Ray transition was a joint decision between Keenum and Scott.

I'm sure there have been multiple discussions this year between Mark and Scott about the state of the basketball program. They knew whenever they made a change it had to be a homerun hire. If a homerun hire had not been available, I think there's a slim chance that we would have had another year of Rick Ray.

I'm happy for Scott and Dr. Keenum for making what appears to be that homerun hire.

Outside Dawg
03-23-2015, 12:53 PM
Does he have any baseball eligibility left...cause he hit a home run.

Dawgface
03-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Even if he didn't initiate the process it doesn't matter. It was done and that's all that matters. I'm sure there have been plenty of coaches hired and fired at the direction of the President or big boosters. Goes on everywhere. Scott gets credit for the goofs, he should get some credit for nice hires like this one.

Johnson85
03-23-2015, 01:31 PM
As I have said before on here, I believe the Stans-Ray transition was a joint decision between Keenum and Scott.

I'm sure there have been multiple discussions this year between Mark and Scott about the state of the basketball program. They knew whenever they made a change it had to be a homerun hire. If a homerun hire had not been available, I think there's a slim chance that we would have had another year of Rick Ray.

I'm happy for Scott and Dr. Keenum for making what appears to be that homerun hire.

I don't understand people that would think any AD in Stricklan's position would get to make this decision on his own. For sports crazy schools (basically all of the SEC other than Vandy), athletics is just as likely to get a president fired as anything. Presidents are going to keep involved with major decisions related to the Big 3 sports unless they feel like they have no applicable knowledge or unless they have an AD that has earned their complete trust. I don't think either situation applies here and don't think there is any person that could have earned that kind of latitude with a tenure as short as SS's.

I'm sure SS gives a plan for every major hire/fire and that Keenum accepts it or vetoes it. Maybe there was a veto here, but I could give a shit. The team we have in place seems to be doing pretty well.

coastdoglover
03-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Scott deserves the credit and nothing else matters. He could have left us floundering for another year and we all should commend him. Now lets hope Ben can come in and add talent to make us relevant again. Going .500 in the SEC should be a given and I think he gets us back near the top.

Political Hack
03-23-2015, 03:02 PM
I was told that Keenum forced Strick to let go of Ray, so he doesn't get credit for the firing. However, the hire is rock solid and unless someone else did it and we don't know about it, kudos belong to Strick.

For the first time in my life I feel like we've got the right guys leading the big three programs. Hard to argue against that.

FlabLoser
03-23-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm more focused on being happy about the current state of affairs than assigning blame or credit.

maroonmania
03-23-2015, 05:07 PM
I was told that Keenum forced Strick to let go of Ray, so he doesn't get credit for the firing. However, the hire is rock solid and unless someone else did it and we don't know about it, kudos belong to Strick.

For the first time in my life I feel like we've got the right guys leading the big three programs. Hard to argue against that.

Well, no way Keenum forces Strick to fire Ray if Howland hadn't already been on the hook waiting to be reeled in. Its not like Stricklin found Howland on his own and got a deal done in less than 48 hours. Now THAT would be hard to believe.

Liverpooldawg
03-23-2015, 05:16 PM
So the politically correct internet line on Scott is he gets all the credit for the bad stuff and little to none on the good stuff? The guy is doing a great job. None of you have ever seen the athletic department in this good of shape because it has never been in this good of shape. He is the athletic director and you HAVE to give him some of the credit. He has to have a great booster network and a great president behind him to do it and it appears we have that now. Let's enjoy it!

smootness
03-23-2015, 05:20 PM
The best sign of the job Stricklin is doing is that Mullen doesn't seem to want to leave. Coaches like that want full, strong support from the AD, and he apparently has that. If Stricklin wasn't the man for the job, Mullen would no longer be here. Period.

Liverpooldawg
03-23-2015, 05:28 PM
The best sign of the job Stricklin is doing is that Mullen doesn't seem to want to leave. Coaches like that want full, strong support from the AD, and he apparently has that. If Stricklin wasn't the man for the job, Mullen would no longer be here. Period.

YEP.

Coach34
03-23-2015, 05:49 PM

Mullen doesn't really answer to SS- Mullen runs the show and if he needs something- he goes to Keenum's office. Just like Keenum called Mullen's ass into his office after the 2012 Egg Bowl and chewed on it- it wasn't SS. Keenum stays on top of the big boys in athletics

Percho
03-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Mullen doesn't really answer to SS- Mullen runs the show and if he needs something- he goes to Keenum's office. Just like Keenum called Mullen's ass into his office after the 2012 Egg Bowl and chewed on it- it wasn't SS. Keenum stays on top of the big boys in athletics

I hope they had another meeting this past year.

IMissJack
03-23-2015, 06:24 PM
I have nothing against SS, other than the last basketball hire, but I was a bigger fan of the Ninja. Scott's plus is he is an alum. The Ninja grew up among many NCAA people and AD's, and knew how to get things done. I have met both, and liked both.

coastdoglover
03-23-2015, 08:03 PM
How do you know that the Ninja didn't have a hand in this hire? I am positive he and his dad did in the Schaeffer hire. Doesn't matter, Shannondawg knew about this Saturday so I know his source was very good.

I have nothing against SS, other than the last basketball hire, but I was a bigger fan of the Ninja. Scott's plus is he is an alum. The Ninja grew up among many NCAA people and AD's, and knew how to get things done. I have met both, and liked both.

smootness
03-23-2015, 08:14 PM

Ok, sure.