PDA

View Full Version : If it's Howland the days ofa divided fan base are..........

Liverpooldawg
03-23-2015, 11:21 AM
over. HAPPY DAY! It will be the first time in about a decade.

smootness
03-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Yes, this is the best part of the deal. There shouldn't be anyone who isn't fully behind Howland from day one, and the Hump should be back right away.

Whether we get Newman is uncertain and not really necessary, IMO. This is a huge hire that will energize the entire base regardless.

War Machine Dawg
03-23-2015, 11:38 AM
Yes, this is the best part of the deal. There shouldn't be anyone who isn't fully behind Howland from day one, and the Hump should be back right away.

Whether we get Newman is uncertain and not really necessary, IMO. This is a huge hire that will energize the entire base regardless.

It's absolutely necessary to get Newman. No other SEC school would lose out on a national consensus #1 legacy recruit, particularly our rivals to the north. That said, I'd think landing Howland basically ensures we get Newman.

smootness
03-23-2015, 11:40 AM
I don't think it ensures we get Newman because I have no idea what they're thinking.

But no, it's not necessary. Whether we get him or not does not in any way change the fact that we have a legitimately elite coach.

Coach34
03-23-2015, 11:42 AM
I'm gonna hug Dawggeezer in The Hump in November

quickstrike2
03-23-2015, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't think in ensures we get him at all. It should help us get back in the mix, because Howland can point to his NBA players. I never really considered us having a chance under Ray, but now I would think we have some chance.

smootness
03-23-2015, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't think in ensures we get him at all. It should help us get back in the mix, because Howland can point to his NBA players. I never really considered us having a chance under Ray, but now I would think we have some chance.

These are my thoughts as well. I think he was leaning LSU, and they still have all the things he wanted - elite recruits to play with. Same at Kentucky.

I thought from the beginning that were all things equal, he would choose State. Things obviously were not equal, and they still aren't. Howland is a big-time coach and has immediate legitimacy, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's enough to tip the scales. He still won't be playing with other elite guys, though they will be experienced.

quickstrike2
03-23-2015, 11:58 AM
These are my thoughts as well. I think he was leaning LSU, and they still have all the things he wanted - elite recruits to play with. Same at Kentucky.

I thought from the beginning that were all things equal, he would choose State. Things obviously were not equal, and they still aren't. Howland is a big-time coach and has immediate legitimacy, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's enough to tip the scales. He still won't be playing with other elite guys, though they will be experienced.

Yep at the end of the day, the players we have are still the same. We can't offer the supporting cast that LSU and Kentucky can, but we have more of a sales pitch than we did a couple of days ago.

Dallas_Dawg
03-23-2015, 12:02 PM

and then live happily ever after

Tbonewannabe
03-23-2015, 12:06 PM
It's absolutely necessary to get Newman. No other SEC school would lose out on a national consensus #1 legacy recruit, particularly our rivals to the north. That said, I'd think landing Howland basically ensures we get Newman.

Peyton Manning went to UT. I don't think there is anyone bigger that has gave the finger to the school his Dad is worshipped at than that. It does happen.

War Machine Dawg
03-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Peyton Manning went to UT. I don't think there is anyone bigger that has gave the finger to the school his Dad is worshipped at than that. It does happen.

Different time, different era, different sport.

smootness
03-23-2015, 12:19 PM
There are plenty of big-time recruits who were legacies that went somewhere different than their father. There have even been plenty of cases of big-time guys going somewhere different than their brother, even in cases where their brother was still on the team.

I obviously hope like crazy we can get Newman, but it certainly wouldn't shock me if we don't, and it also wouldn't be embarrassing.

blacklistedbully
03-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Yep at the end of the day, the players we have are still the same. We can't offer the supporting cast that LSU and Kentucky can, but we have more of a sales pitch than we did a couple of days ago.

If Newman is looking at more than just a, "1 and done", then he's got to be encouraged by the thought of what Howland can do after next year. If he truly does like the idea of staying home and being a huge part of what brings MSU basketball back to national prominence, we should have a great shot with him. Newman could be THE big man, playing for a proven coach at home.

Tbonewannabe
03-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Different time, different era, different sport.

And Horatio played for 2 years a long time ago. He was a good player but unless you followed basketball when he played you wouldn't know who he was. We just missed out on the youngest Palmeiro. Not as big of a recruit but everyone knows Raffy.

Tbonewannabe
03-23-2015, 12:58 PM
If Newman is looking at more than just a, "1 and done", then he's got to be encouraged by the thought of what Howland can do after next year. If he truly does like the idea of staying home and being a huge part of what brings MSU basketball back to national prominence, we should have a great shot with him. Newman could be THE big man, playing for a proven coach at home.

Didn't Howland coach Westbrook? That would be a great example of what kind of development Malik could see in his game.

smootness
03-23-2015, 01:25 PM
Didn't Howland coach Westbrook? That would be a great example of what kind of development Malik could see in his game.

He did, and Westbrook is a similar player. Both are undersized two-guards that are extremely athletic. Westbrook eventually turned himself into a PG, and Newman will have to do the same at the next level.

Newman is a more natural scorer than Westbrook was coming out, but Westbrook certainly developed into that.

coastdoglover
03-23-2015, 01:42 PM
You will have to buy a ticket first, but I agree with the post, everybody should get behind Howland.

sandwolf
03-23-2015, 01:43 PM

Haha I lol'd