PDA

View Full Version : Want some opinions of these fishing tackle rigs

BeastMan
03-23-2015, 10:19 AM
I'm going on my first saltwater trip of the year this weekend and wanted to show some of these rigs I tied. They're a little bit different than the classic way they are done. You'd never see a charter guy do like this because of cost but I wanted to try some different things. These will be for live or dead bait.

First is the remixed carolina rig. It's 2 barrel swivels with a short strand of 20 lb berkely big game mono with a glass bead, sinker, glass bead. My thought process is that by trapping the beads and weight in a small spot I'll get a little better rattling noise when I raise and twitch the rod. The 2 swivels could potentially lead to a little more ability for the bait to twist and my theory there is that could potentially lead to less snags. If you've ever fished a bridge piling on the coast you know what I mean. One swivel will tie to the main line and I've added an 6-8 inch bit of mono that will have my hook of choice on the other end.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/2F8C69B6-0EC2-4301-8BA2-E569D428B589_zpsh40nsqh7.jpg

The next rig is the drop shot rig. A lot of guys are tying this now with a 30 inch piece of line with a hook on one end and weight on the the other. Then they tie an overhand knot and connect that to the main line. The potential twisting with that bothers me a bit and I decided to go traditional with the 3-way swivel. I have the same berkely big game 20 lb mono with a weight on a 20 inch piece of line. There is a 8 inch piece of line off the other end of the swivel where I'll add hook of choice depending on bait and targeted specie. The one slightly different thing I did was the 2 glass beads above the weight for a little bit of rattling noise.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/CC32E38B-9D08-4A28-AF93-7F311B4CADEC_zpsubcel0bg.jpg

Some of this may be overkill but I love tying my own rigs as opposed to the store bought ones because they fail much more often. The little details in both of these bottom, natural bait rigs is all about more noise to attract more bites. We'll see if it works. What yall think?

SapperDawg
03-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Beast - these look good. I dont fish alot of premade rigs, but I will provide some thoughts.

My entire goal when fishing multiple points of attachment is to eliminate as many points of failure as possible. I dislike barrel swivels as they are the cheapest on the market and that generally = more likelyhood of failure at some point. I have used crane swivels in my spinner bait construction, and like them greatly.

I love the idea of the three way swivel, but I cant reconcile in my head the force of the fighting fish not being transmitted diretly up the line....vs a right angle or 120 degree angle with the three-way. I imagine this would at some point lead to bending the wire, and increase potential failure at that point of the rig.

All of this is likely mute if you are not going after 10lb+ fish.

SpeckleDawg
03-23-2015, 08:35 PM
They should both work well. I tie pretty much the exact same setup for dropshot rigs with the three way swivel. I've been using a dropshot a lot more than Carolina rigs lately. Tying rigs up on a rainy day is a great way to pass time when you'd rather be fishing and makes it much faster when you actually can be on the water.

Can't wait to get out there with some live croakers SOON.

SpeckleDawg
03-23-2015, 08:37 PM
Beast - these look good. I dont fish alot of premade rigs, but I will provide some thoughts.

My entire goal when fishing multiple points of attachment is to eliminate as many points of failure as possible. I dislike barrel swivels as they are the cheapest on the market and that generally = more likelyhood of failure at some point. I have used crane swivels in my spinner bait construction, and like them greatly.

I love the idea of the three way swivel, but I cant reconcile in my head the force of the fighting fish not being transmitted diretly up the line....vs a right angle or 120 degree angle with the three-way. I imagine this would at some point lead to bending the wire, and increase potential failure at that point of the rig.

All of this is likely mute if you are not going after 10lb+ fish.

I definitely see what you mean, but I can't say that I've ever had one break on me. However, my main target is speckled trout. While I'd like to catch 10+ lb trout, that's not going to happen often.

BeastMan
03-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Being that I'm an inshore guy my worst fear as far as tearing up tackle is bull reds or blacks. I've come across some of both and handled then on that same brand tackle. I thought about instead of using the swivels just using bobber stoppers close but figured that way too ghetto lol

ETA- I don't horse those big fish in either. My biggest drum was 30 lbs and that was on 12lb mono and a medium light Rod

SapperDawg
03-23-2015, 09:36 PM
Tying rigs up on a rainy day is a great way to pass time when you'd rather be fishing and makes it much faster when you actually can be on the water.

I hear that. I am a warm water fly fisherman and have hundreds of dollars and an entire room dedicated to fly tying. I will freely admit that I do not do as much of it as I would like. I think I need to ditch some other hobbies.

Barking 13
03-23-2015, 10:45 PM
I don't know Jack Schitt about saltwater stuff, but I fish a similar Carolina Style rig setup. I also have a quick rig that I use where I pull rubber band thru the weight with a piece of line and trim it off. No barrel swivel. Just pull the weight to the appropriate length of leader and have at it.

I use a much smaller version of drop shot and I use a Mustad (I think) swivel hook combo where the hook is in the middle of the swivel..

Those look nice though..

FISHDAWG
03-24-2015, 07:43 AM
the three ways have two that are inline and one that is offline ... just make sure you tie line and hook to the inline barrels