PDA

View Full Version : George brooks

msstate7
03-23-2015, 07:30 AM
Just heard Bo bounds say George might return bc he's our lead recruiter and he has a 6'8" son. Who is his son and is he a big prospect?

TheRef
03-23-2015, 07:39 AM
His son is Garrison Brooks. He is a 6'9" 210 pounds sophomore C/PF. He is averaging 14.6 PPG, 10.6 RBG, and 3.7 BPG.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/garrison-brooks/XdRwsEiXEeOZXQAmVebBJg/default.htm

RTO Dawg
03-23-2015, 07:49 AM
His son is Garrison Brooks. He is a 6'9" 210 pounds sophomore C/PF. He is averaging 14.6 PPG, 10.6 RBG, and 3.7 BPG.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/garrison-brooks/XdRwsEiXEeOZXQAmVebBJg/default.htm

Wow!!

MaxedOutMaroon
03-23-2015, 07:52 AM
How come he lives in Auburn? I'm tired of keeping coaches for recruits.

thf24
03-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Contrary to what many on here seem to think, I have a hard time believing Brooks is as inept as he's made out to be if he survives a second coaching change, stud recruit son or not.

BulldogBacker
03-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Contrary to what many on here seem to think, I have a hard time believing Brooks is as inept as he's made out to be if he survives a second coaching change, stud recruit son or not.

I know George Brooks pretty well. He is a "gentle giant," and, although having a dry wit, is a serious person. As a member of the Tip Off Club he would frequently represent Rick Ray to give us scouting reports. He is not "intense," but very soft spoken and keeps a low profile. I think he gives the team a coaching leader they can talk too. He is the "Dad" for a lot of the guys on the team. He also is our best recruiter, because he knows all the high school coaches in Mississippi and many around the South. He helped bring Rodney Hood to State, and has contacts in Montgomery with Carver, where we got Chicken, Houston, Roquez, Strugg, etc.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2015, 08:10 AM
How come he lives in Auburn? I'm tired of keeping coaches for recruits.

He lives with his mom. We're not keeping Brooks bc of his son we'll keep him bc he's a good recruiter. I don't know where the hate for Brooks started but it's totally unwarranted.

dickiedawg
03-23-2015, 08:18 AM
Robbie on 247 said this is a real possibility that makes a lot of sense.
Don't think his son is a factor, but he's intimately familiar with MS which would be important with a HC with no ties to the area.

RTO Dawg
03-23-2015, 08:19 AM
He lives with his mom. We're not keeping Brooks bc of his son we'll keep him bc he's a good recruiter. I don't know where the hate for Brooks started but it's totally unwarranted.

I think people just want a fresh start...Other than Ray I don't know who sits on bench

MaxedOutMaroon
03-23-2015, 08:36 AM

My reasoning is the subpar recruiting under Ray. Brooks was still here for that. If we get Korey McCray, I feel no need to keep Brooks, just my opinion and I feel it's warranted. Feel free to disagree.

maroonmania
03-23-2015, 08:43 AM
My reasoning is the subpar recruiting under Ray. Brooks was still here for that. If we get Korey McCray, I feel no need to keep Brooks, just my opinion and I feel it's warranted. Feel free to disagree.

I'll give you 4 reasons Ray had trouble recruiting:

1. Came in as our coach as an unknown
2. Had no previous experience recruiting this region
3. Did not put a good product on the floor especially offensively
4. The Hump was a morgue for most games

The only one of those 4 that you could say would apply to Howland would be #2 but if he is bringing in on his staff some of the names talked about that should be remedied quickly.

smootness
03-23-2015, 08:48 AM

Our recruiting was only subpar initially. I don't know how many times it has to be said, but the 2015 and 2016 classes were not subpar.

I'm fine with keeping Brooks. You can keep him, bring in McCray, then bring in another guy who is an Xs/Os guru.

ScottH
03-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Whether it be Brooks, Kirby, Carter or someone else we need someone who knows the lay of the land in Mississippi.

maroonmania
03-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Our recruiting was only subpar initially. I don't know how many times it has to be said, but the 2015 and 2016 classes were not subpar.

I'm fine with keeping Brooks. You can keep him, bring in McCray, then bring in another guy who is an Xs/Os guru.

Actually, Ray's two biggest failures IMO were not being able to persuade Rodney Hood to stay and not allowing Jalen Steele to redshirt before playing his SR year. Hood being around at least 2 of the past 3 years (maybe all 3) would have made a world of difference. BUT, even with Hood gone, I still say if you put a 5th SR Jalen Steele's outside shooting with the team this year then Ray wins enough games to keep his job for year 4.

smootness
03-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Actually, Ray's two biggest failures IMO were not being able to persuade Rodney Hood to stay and not allowing Jalen Steele to redshirt before playing his SR year. Hood being around at least 2 of the past 3 years (maybe all 3) would have made a world of difference. BUT, even with Hood gone, I still say if you put a 5th SR Jalen Steele's outside shooting with the team this year then Ray wins enough games to keep his job for year 4.

I don't consider not keeping Hood a failure on Ray's part. It wasn't his fault. If you're not a known guy, there's only so much you're going to be able to do in a short time period to sway a guy like that not to go to Duke.

I never faulted Hood for leaving and still don't. I don't think Ray had a shot to keep him.

maroonmania
03-23-2015, 08:59 AM
I don't consider not keeping Hood a failure on Ray's part. It wasn't his fault. If you're not a known guy, there's only so much you're going to be able to do in a short time period to sway a guy like that not to go to Duke.

I never faulted Hood for leaving and still don't. I don't think Ray had a shot to keep him.

Given the terms of the contract were forced to change, I agree. And he might have left even without that factor. Not having Steele though was squarely on Ray. Steele had the one quality the team this year was totally lacking.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2015, 09:25 AM
I don't blame Ray on Steele. He was cleared to play & had no medical restrictions he himself just didn't want to play yet. You can't tie up a scholarship for 2yrs with an ok player.

maroonmania
03-23-2015, 09:53 AM
I don't blame Ray on Steele. He was cleared to play & had no medical restrictions he himself just didn't want to play yet. You can't tie up a scholarship for 2yrs with an ok player.

Sorry, don't buy it. I have NEVER heard of a kid that felt fully healthy to play that would ask to sit out to GET healthy, I don't care who cleared him. I can understand Ray not wanting to tie up a scholarship for an extra year over it but in hindsight he made a mistake. Like I said, Steele would have given the team this year EXACTLY what they were missing.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2015, 09:57 AM
Sorry, don't buy it. I have NEVER heard of a kid that felt fully healthy to play that would ask to sit out to GET healthy, I don't care who cleared him. I can understand Ray not wanting to tie up a scholarship for an extra year over it but in hindsight he made a mistake. Like I said, Steele would have given the team this year EXACTLY what they were missing.

Yea he could've but he could've gave them the exact same thing the year before when he didn't want to play. The kid was cleared by all medical parties involved. I don't know if it was a mental block or what but the kid could have played & chose not to. That's on the kid not Ray.

BulldogBacker
03-23-2015, 10:07 AM
I don't know why the love for Jalen Steele? He was a below average ball handler, created more turnovers than he should, and was a below average defender. The only think he could do well was shoot the 3. Further, Steele's demand to be redshirted, would have prevented us from bringing in a freshman we had already signed. Imagine signing a scholarship, then told it wasn't going to be honored? That would have ruined recruiting really fast!

engie
03-23-2015, 10:17 AM
I don't know why the love for Jalen Steele? He was a below average ball handler, created more turnovers than he should, and was a below average defender. The only think he could do well was shoot the 3. Further, Steele's demand to be redshirted, would have prevented us from bringing in a freshman we had already signed. Imagine signing a scholarship, then told it wasn't going to be honored? That would have ruined recruiting really fast!

The love is based on the fact that he could do the one thing that none of Ray's teams ever could... He was definitely worth a few extra wins for us...And we haven't been at 13 scholarships yet under Ray. There was room for him. But I didn't fault Ray for how it went down at the time...

Johnson85
03-23-2015, 10:22 AM

Steele was going to take up a scholarship whether he was redshirted or playing. The next year he would have been tying up an extra scholarship, but we wouldn't have had anybody signed at the time Steele had to make a decision.

coastdoglover
03-23-2015, 10:33 AM
George is the only recruiter on Ray's staff and if Howland is smart, he will keep him with or without his son. He has done a good job in Alabama and as stated earlier, he gives us a presence in Mississippi and Alabama .

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2015, 10:35 AM
George is the only recruiter on Ray's staff and if Howland is smart, he will keep him with or without his son. He has done a good job in Alabama and as stated earlier, he gives us a presence in Mississippi and Alabama .

The misinformation & hate for Brooks is really crazy.

engie
03-23-2015, 10:40 AM
I don't understand it... Can someone point to what it stems from?

maroonmania
03-23-2015, 11:14 AM
Steele was going to take up a scholarship whether he was redshirted or playing. The next year he would have been tying up an extra scholarship, but we wouldn't have had anybody signed at the time Steele had to make a decision.

So there were scholarships aplenty available the year Steele wanted to redshirt so no problem there. Now THIS year when I go to our roster I only count 12 scholarship players WITH Zuppardo who sat out the year injured. So it appears there was an extra scholly around anyway. And I'll just add that I would have been fine cutting Bloodman loose his SR year if it would have been necessary to have had Steele this year. Bloodman was not SEC quality. And I don't remember Steele being a "turnover machine" by any means though defense was not his best attribute. What he did bring was a threat from the 3 point line that could have unclogged the middle on offense for guys like Sword, Ware, RJohnson and others. I say Steele in the lineup would have brought us 3 additional wins this year minimum which would have been enough for Ray to hang on. That's all I'm saying, it's like I consider Steele All-SEC quality or anything.

coastdoglover
03-23-2015, 11:14 AM
Most idiots believe anything they are told or read on a message board. It is easier to get the actual facts before commenting. That would be something new to a lot of posters.

I don't understand it... Can someone point to what it stems from?

Johnson85
03-23-2015, 11:28 AM
I say Steele in the lineup would have brought us 3 additional wins this year minimum which would have been enough for Ray to hang on. That's all I'm saying,

So you're saying Steele is the Adam Carlson of MSU basketball? Didn't give the fans three points when they wanted them, but ultimately they end up very glad he didn't.

maroonmania
03-23-2015, 11:39 AM
So you're saying Steele is the Adam Carlson of MSU basketball? Didn't give the fans three points when they wanted them, but ultimately they end up very glad he didn't.

Certainly one way to look at it. Probably ended up working out best for the future just the way it played out.

tireddawg
03-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Just heard Bo bounds say George might return bc he's our lead recruiter and he has a 6'8" son. Who is his son and is he a big prospect?

Brooks is the calm presence thats very trustworthy. We need that. Just because he's not a loud rah rah guy doesn't mean he hasnt done well