PDA

View Full Version : Howland article - sports illustrated

Count Istvan Teleky
03-22-2015, 08:22 PM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2013/03/25/ucla-ben-howland

I remember this article.

He wins but he has issues.

Winning cures a lot but is this what we are pursuing?

I say the Howland discussions serve to improve his stock with other offers. We will end up with someone else who is more player oriented.

mstatefan91
03-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Oh ok. I'll take your word for it, someone who has been a member for nearly 2 years but has only posted 15 times...

engie
03-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Who has coached out west that has won on the level that Howland did -- and didn't have some of these problems? You put Rick Stansbury in SoCal and fail to win a title for a few years and see how the media portrays him.

I don't get people's obsession over the ancient history. What would it take to actually make you happy and not question everything? Especially a guy who has gone from final 4s at UCLA to rebuilding at Mississippi State. You don't think he's learned a few lessons along the way?

He takes us to 3 final 4s in a row -- IDGAF what goes on off the court. Surviving the off the court issues = you've got to win big...

BeardoMSU
03-22-2015, 08:31 PM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2013/03/25/ucla-ben-howland

I remember this article.

He wins but he has issues.

Winning cures a lot but is this what we are pursuing?

I say the Howland discussions serve to improve his stock with other offers. We will end up with someone else who is more player oriented.

Please no...
https://horrorvirgin.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/tumblr_m6ny89aqwk1qmyzc7.gif

I seen it dawg
03-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Jackie Sherrill had a shaving kit of baggage....that turned out ok for us

mic
03-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Yeah look how he left the 2 programs when he left..
Pitt been in some kind of post season every year ( mostly the dance)
And Ucla back to back sweet 16...

I will take his "baggage" everyday and twice on Sunday..

KB21
03-22-2015, 08:53 PM
This is what I feel like happened with Ben Howland. He has always been known as a conservative, defensive oriented coach. His teams have always had the reputation of being hard nosed, hard working teams that play defense and are selfless on offense. Those are the types of teams he had the most success with.

Then he decided that instead of getting the types of players that fit his style, he would rather go after the elite athletes. He brings in top recruiting class after top recruiting class. He gets buddy buddy with an AAU group in LA, and he even resorts to hiring an AAU coach to his staff. This is when things go downhill.

AAU basketball is the scourge of college basketball. It is a racket. The players who are the elite guys at the AAU level are typically pampered athletes that get to do what they want to do, don't play within the scheme or team basketball, and their only goal is to glorify themselves. They tend to be full of themselves, casual with their work ethic, and complain when they don't get enough shots. This mentality did not fit well with Ben Howland's coaching staff, and he's not a snake oil salesman like John Calipari is.

My hope is that he has learned from his mistakes in dealing with the AAU racket, particularly if he takes this job.

TUSK
03-22-2015, 09:18 PM
sounds a bit like a "process" to me...

Count Istvan Teleky
03-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Oh ok. I'll take your word for it, someone who has been a member for nearly 2 years but has only posted 15 times...

I didn't say I knew anything or had inside info, just speculating.

I'll take a winner. Period.

Btw - been here longer than you.

mstatefan91
03-22-2015, 10:18 PM
I didn't say I knew anything or had inside info, just speculating.

I'll take a winner. Period.

Btw - been here longer than you.

Just an odd way to talk about someone when that someone may be announced as the new basketball coach this week.

We will end up with someone else who is more player oriented.

This was the statement that set off the alarm in my head...

Happy lurking