PDA

View Full Version : It's Howland- official announcement coming

Coach34
03-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Tuesday as of now. We have a legit basketball coach boys

BeardoMSU
03-22-2015, 04:10 PM
hot damn! Depending on how well he jumps into recruiting (I'm looking at you Newman), next year could be reaaalllly interesting.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
03-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Who would assistants be?

Todd4State
03-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Well, this is quite different than the last basketball hiring process.

msstate7
03-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Who would assistants be?

No idea, but I'd love 1 out of this group: Pierre, Kirby, and Wayne Brent

confucius say
03-22-2015, 04:15 PM
Does this debunk the theory that the firing of Ray was mandated by keenum. Seems more like SS was going to keep Ray until he gets feelers out there that report he can get Howland, and then decides to make the move (an obvious move by the way). I have no idea, just seems logical??

BeardoMSU
03-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Well, this is quite different than the last basketball hiring process.

No shit. It's nice having feelings again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUzBK5O3wBM

msstate7
03-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Does this debunk the theory that the firing of Ray was mandated by keenum. Seems more like SS was going to keep Ray until he gets feelers out there that report he can get Howland, and then decides to make the move (an obvious move by the way). I have no idea, just seems logical??

I think you're right

Coach34
03-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Who would assistants be?

Korey McCray is only name I've heard so far

bobcat91
03-22-2015, 04:18 PM

Not at all. He's a water boy doing what he was told.

Coach34
03-22-2015, 04:19 PM

not even a little bit. What makes you think SS was the 1st person to contact Howland?

BeardoMSU
Korey McCray is only name I've heard so far

He is/was one of LSU's big recruiters, yes?

Intramural All-American
All I'm gonna say Coach, is you better be right on this one. For your sake as a basketball poster.

whatever
03-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Way to break the news Coach, you're really out ahead of this whole thing

Bucky Dog
03-22-2015, 04:23 PM
No idea, but I'd love 1 out of this group: Pierre, Kirby, and Wayne Brent

Bingo! Get one of these, go all in on Malik, keep current signees and re commit Simonds, in that order!

CadaverDawg
03-22-2015, 04:27 PM
Hope you're right, because I was just texted by a buddy of mine that said many are saying it's not Howland, but that Archie Miller may be the guy.

I would be fine with either, FWIW.

msstate7
03-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Hope you're right, because I was just texted by a buddy of mine that said many are saying it's not Howland, but that Archie Miller may be the guy.

I doubt seriously that we've talked to miller while he's in the tourney.

Coach34
03-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Way to break the news Coach, you're really out ahead of this whole thing

Lolz- I'm just passing along dude. That's all

JohnnyQuid
This would be amazing. I reallyyyyy hope I'm not getting my hopes up only to be shattered later

Really Clark?
Not at all. He's a water boy doing what he was told.

That's not completely true at all. You keep making it sound like SS is completely uninvolved and out of the loop just acting like the puppet by men behind the scenes. There were discussions and he was advised by Keenan but there was contact on multiple fronts by Howland's people, SS, and others on our side. And SS handled the negotiations. Sounds like it's all but done but a few more little things to iron out. But stop acting like the AD had nothing to do with this. He still had the option to not make a change. He was advised against it but he still had the option.

Treemydawg
03-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Damn coach, I hope your (sources) are correct. This could be monumental for MSU basketball.

Coach34
03-22-2015, 04:32 PM

Archie Miller isn't leaving Dayton for Starkville

CadaverDawg
I doubt seriously that we've talked to miller while he's in the tourney.

True. Hopefully Coach is right. I would love for Howland to be the guy

Intramural All-American
People are saying SS is completely out of this just so they won't have to give him any credit for the hire.

basedog
03-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Give credit where credit belongs, shannondawg broke the news!

KB21
03-22-2015, 04:38 PM
That's not completely true at all. You keep making it sound like SS is completely uninvolved and out of the loop just acting like the puppet by men behind the scenes. There were discussions and he was advised by Keenan but there was contact on multiple fronts by Howland's people, SS, and others on our side. And SS handled the negotiations. Sounds like it's all but done but a few more little things to iron out. But stop acting like the AD had nothing to do with this. He still had the option to not make a change. He was advised against it but he still had the option.

That's because there is this false narrative about Scott Striklin that some folks have created because they didn't like the fact that he fired Rick Stansbury in the first place. Part of that narrative is that Scott turned down other coaches to hire Rick Ray, when the fact is that every coach Scott talked to balked at the job due to the condition the program was in after Stansbury lost all control of the program. It wasn't a money issue, as Steve Prohm was offered $1.8 million to take the job. This was a program issue, and it was a situation where every coach looked at it and said that it would be 5 years before they could win.

Rick Ray took the job knowing he would be the fall guy.

bobcat91
03-22-2015, 04:39 PM
People are saying SS is completely out of this just so they won't have to give him any credit for the hire.

As soon as you realize that Scott is just a funds raiser the better off you will be. He deserves no credit except getting the funds necessary to run the program.

Coach34
03-22-2015, 04:39 PM

He he is not completely out of it. He has certainly been a part of it. But his whole process was not his idea. To say SS planned to fire RR so he could bring in Howland would be false.

I seen it dawg
03-22-2015, 04:42 PM
I don't care if coach Polk makes the hire if it's Howland and it works.

bobcat91
He he is not completely out of it. He has certainly been a part of it. But his whole process was not his idea. To say SS planned to fire RR so he could bring in Howland would be false.

Scott was going to keep Ray. Period. He was informed that there are new plans. He didn't make the decision to fire Ray--he was made to. He did not initiate this hire. Those above him did. That is his part in this so call it whatever people want to.

Coach34
Give credit where credit belongs, shannondawg broke the news!

absolutely- he was 1st this morning. Everything else is just trickling out now

Intramural All-American

All I'm saying is all a lot of people do is blame Scott for anything bad that happens, but then refuse to credit him for anything good that happens. He's our AD, so he has his hand in every single thing that goes on with athletics, good or bad. Give the man a little credit.

bobcat91
03-22-2015, 04:43 PM
All I'm saying is all a lot of people do is blame Scott for anything bad that happens, but then refuse to credit him for anything good that happens. He's our AD, so he has his hand in every single thing that goes on with athletics, good or bad. Give the man a little credit.

He is excellent at raising funds

ShotgunDawg
03-22-2015, 04:45 PM
My biggest question about Howland is: Why us?

Why MSU?

Why not Bama
Why not Oregon State
Why not others?

What does Howland see in Starkville that makes him think this is a better spot than the numerous other jobs he could've landed?

CadaverDawg
03-22-2015, 04:45 PM
Archie Miller isn't leaving Dayton for Starkville

Probly not. Just passing along what I heard. I hope it's Howland

msstate7
03-22-2015, 04:47 PM

Why MSU?

Why not Bama
Why not Oregon State
Why not others?

What does Howland see in Starkville that makes him think this is a better spot than the numerous other jobs he could've landed?

My sources say he really likes and wants to coach ndoye***

Coach34
03-22-2015, 04:47 PM

Im not a SS hater- even with him being a Prop grad and a cheerleader. He has been a solid AD for the most part and made some really good women's hires. I'm actually proud of him, Keenum, and the Big Dawgs for making something like this happen. They all deserve credit for going ahead of nutting up now that we have gotten away from the dumpster fire of 2012. They stepped it up this time and learned from previous mistakes.

Really Clark?
03-22-2015, 04:48 PM
As soon as you realize that Scott is just a funds raiser the better off you will be. He deserves no credit except getting the funds necessary to run the program.

That is another false statement. He has a lot of support from big boosters even despite the basketball change and previous hire. And he does not have his hand held for coaching decisions. I didnt care for the Ray hire and thought he went a little to rouge against some friends of the program but many of them also acknowledged it was going to be a difficult hire. There was a philosophical disconnect and yes things had be brought to head but SS is NOT a puppet and as soon as you ditch the agenda you will get on the same page as most of the fan base including big money people. A lot of them like SS and the job he is doing. Including aspects besides fund raising.

Coach007
03-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Probly not. Just passing along what I heard. I hope it's Howland

5 minutes before this thread was started, I saw where this was labeled as false. As in it is not true and it's an agent trying to put it out there.

Really Clark?
03-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Scott was going to keep Ray. Period. He was informed that there are new plans. He didn't make the decision to fire Ray--he was made to. He did not initiate this hire. Those above him did. That is his part in this so call it whatever people want to.

Incorrect. He was advised to make a change but it was still his call. Now would that had made things difficult and caused a rift with some who still very much behind SS. Yes. He was strongly advised to make the change. He had to pull the trigger though.

Coach007
03-22-2015, 04:51 PM
And now..... Gene Swindoll is saying "it's not going to happen"

msstate7
03-22-2015, 04:52 PM
And now..... Gene Swindoll is saying "it's not going to happen"

Howland?

Coach007
03-22-2015, 04:53 PM
Yep

Treemydawg
03-22-2015, 04:53 PM

Why MSU?

Why not Bama
Why not Oregon State
Why not others?

Who really knows the answers to these questions???? I sure don't, but you just keep on trolling troll and we will keep on supporting MSU athletics and not asking dunbass questions like yours.

CadaverDawg
03-22-2015, 04:54 PM
Howland?

Yes.

JohnnyQuid
03-22-2015, 04:54 PM
Just trolled thru genes page just to see what they had to say on the subject and gene himself responded to a post about howland and basically said "not happening". Not that he's more credible or has more info than any one else, just a FWIW kinda thing

ETA: coach ninjad me but yea

CadaverDawg
03-22-2015, 04:56 PM
I have a feeling this thread will be brought up a lot over the next 10 years.

Not in a good way.

Hope I'm wrong.

Quaoarsking
Really hoping that Coach34 is right this time, obviously, but if it's not Howland, Coach34's basketball credibility has to be over, right?

Didn't Dawgbreeze break the news on SPS that Rick Ray was going to be hired, and Coach34 responded with some kind of snide "wtf obviously not true" -style remark, only to backtrack a few minutes later?

bobcat91

Maybe you're his brother so I get it. He has had one major hire involving a search and it landed Rick Ray. Since you claim to be in the know then you can tell me how unprofessional and embarrassing the search that landed Ray was. It was a terrible job and however you want to categorize his input in this hire, be my guest.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2015, 04:57 PM
What thread is this I can't find it?

msstate7
03-22-2015, 04:59 PM
What thread is this I can't find it?

"Miss st expected to announce Ben howland the new head coach"

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2015, 05:03 PM
"Miss st expected to announce Ben howland the new head coach"

They must have removed the thread bc I don't see it in the basketball or football forum.

runwildjerious
03-22-2015, 05:03 PM
From Twitter...

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 48s48 seconds ago
Ben Howland has emerged as the frontrunner and is in discussions to take the Mississippi State job, sources told ESPN.

Dallas_Dawg
03-22-2015, 05:04 PM
From Twitter...

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 48s48 seconds ago
Ben Howland has emerged as the frontrunner and is in discussions to take the Mississippi State job, sources told ESPN.

I don't know who to believe any more.

msstate7
03-22-2015, 05:04 PM
They must have removed the thread bc I don't see it in the basketball or football forum.

Sports forum -- public access

Really Clark?
03-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Maybe you're his brother so I get it. He has had one major hire involving a search and it landed Rick Ray. Since you claim to be in the know then you can tell me how unprofessional and embarrassing the search that landed Ray was. It was a terrible job and however you want to categorize his input in this hire, be my guest.

Keep reading my other post after that one and you will see my thoughts on the Ray hire. He was rouge and went against people. Not denying that and it was his worse decision he has made but he has also made other outstanding hires that people have been on board with. This deal came to a head and it did cause SS, administration and friends of the program to hash it out and get back on the same page in regards to the men's BB program. This can only be good for that program. But you are acting like he does nothing but fund raise. It was a team effort including clearing some of the air but by and large most money people like the bulk of what SS has done. Including coaching hires, besides Ray.

shoeless joe
This is becoming a "battle of the sources" between C34 and gene swindoll!!!

Outside Dawg
This will either be looked back on as an example of being on the best board for msu info...or a free version of subscribing to Yancy.

confucius say
not even a little bit. What makes you think SS was the 1st person to contact Howland?

The first person affiliated with MSU to contact Howland? Simple, Because he is the athletics director. Do you believe, or are you insinuating, that Keenum (or someone at Keenum's direction other than SS) reached out to Howland as opposed to SS reaching out to Howland?

msstate7
03-22-2015, 05:06 PM

Seems everyone is saying howland except gene in a quick reply with no explanation

runwildjerious
03-22-2015, 05:06 PM

Gene is really the only dissenting voice. So....

JohnnyQuid
03-22-2015, 05:07 PM
If nothing else this is exciting and entertaining. Bet the boards are getting alot of views today

msstate7
03-22-2015, 05:07 PM
This is becoming a "battle of the sources" between C34 and gene swindoll!!!

Looks like ESPN, c34, Shannondawg, and Twitter vs gene

Coach34
03-22-2015, 05:08 PM
Really hoping that Coach34 is right this time, obviously, but if it's not Howland, Coach34's basketball credibility has to be over, right?

Didn't Dawgbreeze break the news on SPS that Rick Ray was going to be hired, and Coach34 responded with some kind of snide "wtf obviously not true" -style remark, only to backtrack a few minutes later?

i and plenty others had been told the Kenny Payne hire was happening that morning. Geezer came back and said we were hiring someone else- but didn't name a name. And he was right- my guys were wrong

Coach34
03-22-2015, 05:11 PM
Keep reading my other post after that one and you will see my thoughts on the Ray hire. He was rouge and went against people. Not denying that and it was his worse decision he has made

He did it just to make me look bad***

Coach007
Seems everyone is saying howland except gene in a quick reply with no explanation

Not just gene....

Bully13
if this turns into a chris peterson thread, it will be a big buzz kill.. .

defiantdog
This will either be looked back on as an example of being on the best board for msu info...or a free version of subscribing to Yancy.

Hold on..... What's the best board for MSU info? Gene's? Really?

JohnnyQuid
03-22-2015, 05:13 PM
Hold on..... What's the best board for MSU info? Gene's? Really?

He's referring to this board I would think. As in breaking this hire first = best board for msu info, which imo it is regardless

runwildjerious
03-22-2015, 05:13 PM
Gary Parrish

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 41s41 seconds ago
Ben Howland has emerged as a serious candidate at Mississippi State, a source confirmed to @CBSSports. Story: http://cbsprt.co/1C39WLP

msstate7
03-22-2015, 05:14 PM
Not just gene....

Who else?

@GoodmanESPN: Ben Howland has emerged as the frontrunner and is in discussions to take the Mississippi State job, sources told ESPN.

Outside Dawg
03-22-2015, 05:15 PM
Deleted

Really Clark?
03-22-2015, 05:16 PM
He did it just to make me look bad***

Lol. Yeah he did. I do agree with you much closer than Bobcat regarding SS and what went down. Without discussions last week we may still have Ray. Not denying that or the fact it wasnt just him on the Howland deal but disagree from my understanding and people close to the situation that SS was just a puppet and had nothing to do with this. This was a name that was tops of the list I believe once everybody got on the same page. Including SS.

KB21
03-22-2015, 05:16 PM
The first person affiliated with MSU to contact Howland? Simple, Because he is the athletics director. Do you believe, or are you insinuating, that Keenum (or someone at Keenum's direction other than SS) reached out to Howland as opposed to SS reaching out to Howland?

I'd be willing to bet that a major basketball booster is the person that made the initial contact, and the interest was then noted to Scott, who decided to move with the information.

Coach007
03-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Read the whole content!

"He's leaning towards taking it," one source told ESPN.

The source also said that the situation remains fluid with Howland -- depending on whether he feels he could get another, more attractive job. However, he has made it clear that he does not want to stay out of the coaching ranks for another season.

That says... Agent is getting his man out there. "Hey guys.. He is ready for a job in coaching again. "

preachermatt83
03-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Gene don't know anything... he very seldom does but when he does he is posting it everywhere.

confucius say
03-22-2015, 05:20 PM
I'd be willing to bet that a major basketball booster is the person that made the initial contact, and the interest was then noted to Scott, who decided to move with the information.

That is definitely believable. I guess my question is, did the booster go rogue and do it on his own accord (kudos to him if so), or was it at the direction of Keenum? Or SS? I'm sure we may never know, just curious.

confucius say
03-22-2015, 05:23 PM
If this is his agent trolling to get a higher profile job for his guy, it would be good business on his part. The answer to this probably lies in who his leaking this out. If it is coming from our people, probably not a troll. It is coming from his agent, could be a troll job.

Coach 34/Shannondawg, is the leaking of Howland coming from our people?

GreenheadDawg
03-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Read the whole content!

The source also said that the situation remains fluid with Howland -- depending on whether he feels he could get another, more attractive job. However, he has made it clear that he does not want to stay out of the coaching ranks for another season.

That says... Agent is getting his man out there. "Hey guys.. He is ready for a job in coaching again. "

Troll much?

JohnnyQuid
03-22-2015, 05:31 PM
Read the whole content!

The thing jumping out at me is "he's leaning towards taking it". You seem to be taking the rest to mean more than that one statement - which to me seems the most important one.

shannondawg
03-22-2015, 05:38 PM
My question is who are those over Scott that made the decision for the life of me, have never heard that he had more than one boss and that was Keenum.

KB21
03-22-2015, 05:40 PM
That is definitely believable. I guess my question is, did the booster go rogue and do it on his own accord (kudos to him if so), or was it at the direction of Keenum? Or SS? I'm sure we may never know, just curious.

The big money guys control what happens anyway, so, I wouldn't necessarily call it going rogue.

ScottH
03-22-2015, 05:46 PM
Possibly Gene and Evan Daniels of Scout should compare notes before Evan posts on Gene's Basketball board.

Just saying.....

confucius say
03-22-2015, 05:47 PM
The big money guys control what happens anyway, so, I wouldn't necessarily call it going rogue.

They control it with their money, I agree. But I would not think they initiate/conduct coaching searches often. But I'm not one of them, so what do I know.

Bully13
03-22-2015, 05:56 PM
right now, who gives a flying 17 who controls what, I wanna see some plane tracking!!! this shit is 17ing my evening up

Dawgface
03-22-2015, 05:59 PM
right now, who gives a flying 17 who controls what, I wanna see some plane tracking!!! this shit is 17ing my evening up

Yeah, I was going to do my taxes tonight. Looks like I will have to await a day or two.

RTO Dawg
03-22-2015, 06:20 PM

That's what I was thinking...

shannondawg
03-22-2015, 06:25 PM
I don't think after Stans left there are any big basketball donors.

I always looked on away trips to see if anyone was making the trips with the team, and never saw anybody.

Jacksondevildog
03-22-2015, 06:28 PM
The boosters are still there and they will come back if we hire the right guy to rejuvenate the program.

Dawg61
03-22-2015, 06:30 PM
BIG THANK YOU to whoever got in the ear of Keenum and forced this!! SS would of had us in a decade plus black hole.

dawgoneyall
03-22-2015, 06:45 PM
We could have gotten someone better than Ray. We didn't.

KB21
03-22-2015, 06:55 PM
BIG THANK YOU to whoever got in the ear of Keenum and forced this!! SS would of had us in a decade plus black hole.

Got to continue that false negative narrative about Scott, huh?