PDA

View Full Version : If Howland is the guy- he needs to do what?

Coach34
03-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Obviously fill his staff quickly- need 1 recruiter with Southern ties

Cut Endo and Dunlap. Replace Endo with a goon out of Utah to help us in the post.
Replace Dunlap with a legit shooter from anywhere. (Obviously we hope this is Newman)
Replace signee Strugg with a PG taller than 6'0
Think long and hard about sending Daniels or Thomas out and bring in another post signee. We have three guys vying for minutes at the 3 next year- and none of them can really play the 2 or the 4.

ScottH
03-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Throw a hail mary at Diamond Stone.

coastdoglover
03-22-2015, 11:04 AM
never ever read a message board!!!!!!

Pinto
03-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Just win baby

I seen it dawg
03-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Change the locks and remove anyone with ties to last season.

Quaoarsking
03-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Throw a hail mary at Diamond Stone.

If Newman and Stone are serious about signing and playing together (and I think there was a third 5-star guy who said he wanted in on their deal?), Howland is probably the only potential candidate who would have a shot to pull them.

He put 19 guys in the NBA in 10 years at UCLA. I doubt we can hire someone who will look better than that to recruits.

msstate7
03-22-2015, 11:33 AM
Obviously fill his staff quickly- need 1 recruiter with Southern ties

Cut Endo and Dunlap. Replace Endo with a goon out of Utah to help us in the post.
Replace Dunlap with a legit shooter from anywhere. (Obviously we hope this is Newman)
Replace signee Strugg with a PG taller than 6'0
Think long and hard about sending Daniels or Thomas out and bring in another post signee. We have three guys vying for minutes at the 3 next year- and none of them can really play the 2 or the 4.

With recruiting season almost over, I don't think I'd cut players unless I had blue chips or transfers to replace them. Let the team play under howland a season and let him cull when he has the luxury of finding replacements

Jacksondevildog
03-22-2015, 11:35 AM
He needs to sign Malik Newman. The Hump would be sold out next year.

Coach34
03-22-2015, 11:36 AM
With recruiting season almost over, I don't think I'd cut players unless I had blue chips or transfers to replace them. Let the team play under howland a season and let him cull when he has the luxury of finding replacements

A guy like Howland has a lot of contacts nationwide and should certainly be able to find a couple of guys to upgrade the talent on the team for the coming year. It's tough- but replacing Endo and Dunlap with better players shouldnt be hard for him.

msstate7
03-22-2015, 11:38 AM
He needs to sign Malik Newman. The Hump would be sold out next year.

Yeah he needs to take a list of nba players he's had drafted under him to Malik.

If we get howland, I think we get Malik.

Jacksondevildog
03-22-2015, 11:40 AM
I would tell Newman that we will use him like he did Russell Westbrook. (if we get Howland)

BulldogDX55
03-22-2015, 11:45 AM
A guy like Howland has a lot of contacts nationwide and should certainly be able to find a couple of guys to upgrade the talent on the team for the coming year. It's tough- but replacing Endo and Dunlap with better players shouldnt be hard for him.

Coach, I guess I am behind on your nicknames, but which one is Endo?

Rayburn8
03-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Hire Horatio Webster.

HailState39110
03-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Hopefully Howland has maintained relationships with some of the guys he has coached who are in the NBA . I would get Kevin Love , Russell Westbrook, etc to call Malik and tell him Howland can get him to where he wants to be - which is making millions in the league .

bluelightstar
03-22-2015, 11:51 AM
Coach, I guess I am behind on your nicknames, but which one is Endo?

ndoye

bluelightstar
03-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Hopefully Howland has maintained relationships with some of the guys he has coached who are in they NBA . I would get Kevin Love , Russell Westbrook, etc to call Malik and tell him Howland can get him to where he wants to be - which is making millions in the league .

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ben-howland-plaschke-20150211-column.html#page=1

"It has been nearly two full seasons since he was run out of Westwood, yet the closest Howland comes to coaching is advising his numerous former players who fill one of the most illustrious contact lists in college basketball. In recent weeks he's texted Kevin Love, heard from Shabazz Muhammad, checked in on Russell Westbrook and been bearhugged at an NBA midcourt in Philadelphia by Luc Mbah a Moute."

rrog17
03-22-2015, 12:01 PM
I second hiring Big Train!

Quaoarsking
03-22-2015, 12:10 PM
Why cut Dunlap? Isn't he supposed to be the best 3-point shooter on the team?

Can't hold it against him that he was hurt this year, and he has 4 years of eligibility left.

Dawg61
03-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Howland will do what I've been saying for three years to do. Cut the bottom four and replace them with much better players. Howland is a grand slam hire! He is better than Pearl. We will have the 3rd best coach in the SEC overnight. Please let this happen!

JOHNHEVESYMADE
03-22-2015, 12:36 PM
If I'm Howland, I'm hiring Robert Kirby, George Brooks, and Butch Pierre. He isn't from the South so getting that staff would help tremendously with recruiting. I'm obviously going all in on Malik. I'd cut Dunlap, Struggs, and Fallou. I would try and get a juco scorer and a juco big man.

HoopsCoach21
03-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Would Richard Williams be open to taking an assistant position? If so he'd be my first call. I think that helps not only with Newman but I'm sure Williams still has connections throughout this area.

engie
03-22-2015, 12:52 PM
His resume would open every door he needs opened in the southeast IMO... I do agree he'd need one assistant from/familiar with here in order to help get his network set up and rolling in time to make the pitch to Horatio and Newman. Having Westbrook and the countless other NBA stars he's coached on speed dial have to give Malik and Horatio a brand new look at things. May be wrong, but I think Howland would pull him. Hell, he's been looking for any positive traction or excuse to keep us in it anyway. This will give that a huge shot in the arm....

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2015, 01:02 PM
If Howland is the guy I imagine he'll have Korey McCray on his staff. He's from the south & coached at UCLA with him.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209517412

MabenMaroon
03-22-2015, 01:31 PM
If Howland is the guy I imagine he'll have Korey McCray on his staff. He's from the south & coached at UCLA with him.

You reckon that leaving LSU for other opportunities means joining Howland at MSU. That would be huge, if all of this could go down.

msstate7
03-22-2015, 01:38 PM
You reckon that leaving LSU for other opportunities means joining Howland at MSU. That would be huge, if all of this could go down.

Thought the same thing. I hope we don't look back at these threads in a month and think what were we thinking

Really Clark?
03-22-2015, 01:40 PM

That was last June I think.

msstate7
03-22-2015, 01:42 PM
He saw this coming*

Dawg61
03-22-2015, 01:44 PM

McCray was the HC of the top AAU program in GA the Atlanta Celtics. He's coached a bunch of top tier talent including Dwight Howard and John Wall.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/UCLA-8217-s-hire-of-Korey-McCray-makes-a-quick-?urn=ncaab-wp3452

MabenMaroon
03-22-2015, 01:46 PM

As my daughter would say, "My bad" ... I didn't look at the date on the linked article.

Big4Dawg
03-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Betting we hire Korey McCray. He was fired from LSU but sounds like he can recruit and was with him at UCLA

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208312160

Big4Dawg
03-22-2015, 01:54 PM

Best me to it

Dawg61
03-22-2015, 01:57 PM
List of NBA players Howland coached

Dan McClintock
Brandin Knight
Trevor Ariza
Dijon Thompson
Cedric Bozeman
Ryan Hollins
Jordan Farmar
Arron Afflalo
Russell Westbrook
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
Kevin Love
Jrue Holiday
Darren Collison
Malcolm Lee
Tyler Honeycutt
Shabazz Muhammad
Kyle Anderson
Jordan Adams
Travis Wear
Drew Gordon
Larry Drew II

Coach34
03-22-2015, 02:21 PM

you got it Dan- that call has already been made I hear

Bothrops
03-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Is this Howland thing happening, or is it still wishful thinking at this point?

msstate7
03-22-2015, 02:32 PM
Is this Howland thing happening, or is it still wishful thinking at this point?

I hope we don't look stupid next week when we hire bob marlin or someone similar

Bothrops
03-22-2015, 02:35 PM
I hope we don't look stupid next week when we hire bob marlin or someone similar

No kidding! It'll be an even bigger splash considering that bama is also searching, and we could finish before them. Would be nice pub.

Dallas_Dawg
03-22-2015, 02:38 PM
I would tell Newman that we will use him like he did Russell Westbrook. (if we get Howland)

That's a huge selling point right there

engie
03-22-2015, 02:42 PM
That's a huge selling point right there

Bingo.

I may be crazy -- but I feel like Howland would pull Malik...

Dallas_Dawg
03-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Bingo.

I may be crazy -- but I feel like Howland would pull Malik...

C'mon Scott, make it happen. Hit the Grand Slam home run

Reunion Dog
03-22-2015, 03:23 PM
george brooks is a joke! period.

Reunion Dog
03-22-2015, 03:29 PM
george brooks is a joke! period.

Todd4State
03-22-2015, 04:15 PM
If I am Howland my first two hires are the McCray guy and then Wayne Brent from Jackson State.

Then I get Malik and his friends and adjust our class accordingly. How many can you sign for basketball a year? 5 or 6?