PDA

View Full Version : Something I was just told

shannondawg
03-22-2015, 09:29 AM
and something I don't usually do, is tell something from someone that should know on a message board.

Ben Howland will be the next coach.

msstate7
03-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Hope you're right.

I wonder how much of a game changer this will be with Malik, mulder, and high profile transfers.

I would love for us to make a run at hiring Kirby for howland's staff

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2015, 09:36 AM
@RobDauster: Ben Howland emerges as a serious candidate at Mississippi*State, sources told NBCSports http://t.co/YNiRH4jILE

I seen it dawg
03-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Who is Ben Howland?

Coach34
03-22-2015, 09:37 AM
That would be an absolute HR hire

I seen it dawg
03-22-2015, 09:37 AM
And for god sakes shitcan George Brooks. The offices should be totally cleared out today.

basedog
03-22-2015, 09:43 AM
shannondawg, who let the dawgs out brother? Never would I thought you would bring "my sources" instead you come with "something I was told", you can teach an old dog a new trick. LOL.

coastdoglover
03-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Shannon's sources are accurate and it would be a good hire.

Dawgface
03-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Hope he doesn't have the same success Bob Boyd had coming from from the west coast.

engie
03-22-2015, 09:52 AM
Homerun hire if true...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/demo/m_20150322-0mcw-108kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/demo/20150322-0mcw-108kb)

Maybe I'm just way too fired up and not thinking clearly -- but gonna go ahead and go on the record -- Howland would pull Newman...

I seen it dawg
03-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Announce it Monday, hire Kirby and let's roll.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2015, 09:55 AM
And for god sakes shitcan George Brooks. The offices should be totally cleared out today.

Unless you're bringing Robert Kirby or Butch Pierre then we need to keep Brooks. He has a lot of ties in MS.

I seen it dawg
03-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Unless you're bringing Robert Kirby or Butch Pierre then we need to keep Brooks. He has a lot of ties in MS.

There are a lot of guys we can hire with"ties" and can recruit. The guy just keeps a bench chair from floating away.

DanDority
03-22-2015, 10:01 AM

If we keep him we are hamstringing ourselves into another below mediocre season.

msstate7
03-22-2015, 10:04 AM

I wonder if Wayne Brent would be interested in leaving jsu to be an assistant.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2015, 10:05 AM
If we keep him we are hamstringing ourselves into another below mediocre season.

Wouldn't Howland have way more to do with that than Brooks?

shannondawg
03-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Far from me to know much about coaching hires, but what came to my mind was my feeling when we hired Jackie. I went out and bought a rv to follow him to the national championship. lol. Didn't happen but it was a fun ride for a long time.

KB21
03-22-2015, 10:09 AM
This is the one thing that concerns me:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncb/story/_/id/7629031/ucla-bruins-coach-ben-howland-lost-control-highly-recruited-players-according-report

The magazine said it spoke with more than 12 players and staff members from UCLA's past four teams for the report. It cited numerous anonymous former players and other sources associated with the program alleging widespread fighting amongst teammates and players intentionally injuring others during practice, drinking and smoking marijuana before practices and using Ecstasy at off-campus parties.

Many of those deeds went unpunished, according to the report, which alleges Howland "allowed an influx of talented but immature recruits to undermine team discipline and morale."

"Guys drinking, guys doing drugs, guys not taking practice seriously, guys fighting ... You won't find that on the Pyramid of Success," one player said, according to the report, referencing the philosophy embraced by late UCLA coaching great John Wooden.

This is the stuff that lead to the cesspool that Rick Stansbury left and Rick Ray inherited. Is Howland going to be more hands on and discipline players for such issues this time around?

AROB44
03-22-2015, 10:09 AM
Butch Pierre as the No. 1 asst would be icing on the cake with Howland as HC. Butch is one of the top assts in the country.

thunderclap
03-22-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that if we hire a guy like Howland the sumbitch already knows who he wants on his staff and it probably ain't nobody mentioned in this thread. He isn't John Freakin' Brady.

RossDawg82
03-22-2015, 10:14 AM

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncb/story/_/id/7629031/ucla-bruins-coach-ben-howland-lost-control-highly-recruited-players-according-report

This is the stuff that lead to the cesspool that Rick Stansbury left and Rick Ray inherited. Is Howland going to be more hands on and discipline players for such issues this time around?

Welcome to college athletics.

shannondawg
03-22-2015, 10:16 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that if we hire a guy like Howland the sumbitch already knows who he wants on his staff and it probably ain't nobody mentioned in this thread. He isn't John Freakin' Brady.

You got a way with words there. Short and to the point! Amen!

Bully13
03-22-2015, 10:18 AM
Howland has admitted the mistake he made with that one particular player. if he's our man, let's hope he's learned from that mistake like he claim he has.

HancockCountyDog
03-22-2015, 10:20 AM

I think the administration has learned that the fans don't care about well disciplined players, they care about W's. All this bullshit about running a clean program, is just that bullshit. I want a relevant ****ing basketball program. Howland would make us relevant in a heartbeat.

I seen it dawg
03-22-2015, 10:21 AM
I hate support people losing jobs. That being said the new coach needs to change the locks on every door and completely clean house. That means every single person who has basketball with their job description under the head coach should be reassigned or fired. Absolutely no one from this season should be here under any capacity. We need hungry people in the building and a new direction.

KB21
03-22-2015, 10:23 AM
I think the administration has learned that the fans don't care about well disciplined players, they care about W's. All this bullshit about running a clean program, is just that bullshit. I want a relevant ****ing basketball program. Howland would make us relevant in a heartbeat.

Yeah. Fans want players that are poor representatives of the University and the State. Renardo Sidney says hello.

Statefan
03-22-2015, 10:27 AM
I think I could find it in myself to be more sympathetic to Renardo if he had lead us to 3 Final Fours and a NC game

basedog
I'm sure Howland is rested and fired up, I ain't worried about his so call past with discipline, his success shows he knows how to handle players and is a proven winner.

msstate7

Perhaps. I think a guy as successful as howland has been realizes he'll need an assistant that knows Mississippi though.

Coach34
03-22-2015, 10:42 AM
You got a way with words there. Short and to the point! Amen!

The irony of him being a writer with books published made me really enjoy your post

Spiderman
03-22-2015, 10:54 AM

Brooks is a horrible recruiter. He recruited a friend of mine's kid, a State family, and he was terrible. The kid will probably be walking on at Ole Miss instead of State.

Intramural All-American
03-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Let's not forget that Howland passed on Sidney while at UCLA before he can to State.

HancockCountyDog
03-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Yeah. Fans want players that are poor representatives of the University and the State. Renardo Sidney says hello.

There were more fans at Renardo's last game at the Hump than probably the last 5 combined with those great representatives of our university donning the maroon and white.

Attendance and fan support talks , bullshit walks. Anyone that tries to claim we weren't more supportive of Renardo, as opposed to the team full of "great, high character kids" is full of it.

msstate7
03-22-2015, 11:29 AM
There were more fans at Renardo's last game at the Hump than probably the last 5 combined with those great representatives of our university donning the maroon and white.

Attendance and fan support talks , bullshit walks. Anyone that tries to claim we weren't more supportive of Renardo, as opposed to the team full of "great, high character kids" is full of it.

The attendance for Sidney's last home game was 2,507

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2011-2012/031312ms.html

dawgs
03-22-2015, 11:38 AM

Imo there's a big difference in some rumors of guys doing drugs at parties and guys literally getting in a fist fight in the stands during a nationally aired tournament.

Also the player that was rumored to try to hurt teammates was suspended twice and then booted off the team. Stans should've booted sidney the second he saw/heard about that fight after all the other bullshit with him.

Coach34
03-22-2015, 11:39 AM

Ouch

bluelightstar
03-22-2015, 11:41 AM

In all fairness, that was us as a 4-seed in the NIT. That would never have drawn a crowd. Our last regular season home game had attendance of "8892" and "actual attendance" of 7898 -- numbers we would kill for today. It also led us to a 20-point shellacking of Arkansas.

1bigdawg
03-22-2015, 11:46 AM

Spring Break NIT game.

HancockCountyDog
03-22-2015, 11:59 AM

I guess I should have said regular season home game, but hey, good for you, totally right.

We definitely had better home crowds this past year than in 2011-2012. Not sure what I was thinking.

Dawg61
03-22-2015, 12:04 PM

Yea Howland will hire his assistants. He's not the 3rd assistant from Clemson. He already has his staff in place most likely and I trust his judgement. He knows who he needs to help him. Brooks ain't on Howland's radar.

HancockCountyDog
03-22-2015, 12:05 PM
I mean look at all that support for senior day:

http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209919074&DB_OEM_ID=16800

HancockCountyDog
03-22-2015, 12:06 PM
You let Howland hire who the hell he wants and get out of his way.

msstate7
03-22-2015, 12:07 PM
You let Howland hire who the hell he wants and get out of his way.

I agree. I do think he'll want at least one assistant with local ties

thf24
03-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Imo there's a big difference in some rumors of guys doing drugs at parties and guys literally getting in a fist fight in the stands during a nationally aired tournament.

Also the player that was rumored to try to hurt teammates was suspended twice and then booted off the team. Stans should've booted sidney the second he saw/heard about that fight after all the other bullshit with him.

This. You have to put up with a certain degree of undesirable behavior if you realistically want to be a consistent winner (unless you're a program like Duke who has squeaky clean blue chips lined up at the door), but what we had going by 2012 was way beyond that. That level of destructive behavior and attitudes is too much to sustain itself in the long run.