PDA

View Full Version : Bama basketball job

msstate7
03-22-2015, 07:56 AM
Are we gonna be after pretty much the same candidates? Will we end up having to wait for bama to hire before someone accepts our job? Pretty sure most coaches will look at bama as a better job than us

1bigdawg
03-22-2015, 08:17 AM
I believe Bama is getting a reputation for chewing up good coaches. They hired and fired Gottfried and Grant. I am pretty sure they will end up with Prohm and being stupidly disappointed.

mic
03-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Are we gonna be after pretty much the same candidates? Will we end up having to wait for bama to hire before someone accepts our job? Pretty sure most coaches will look at bama as a better job than us

Yes and no..
The top 3 sports there are football , football recruiting, then spring football game... And that might be followed by women's gymnastics. That may not be to appealing to some candidates ..
Every coaching job that's avaliable will probably have basically all the same candidates.
I have heard Bama may be all in on Tom Crean....

engie
03-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Alot of the country doesn't seem to consider them a much better basketball job than us....

dickiedawg
03-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Right now their program is in better shape but I don't think the program as a whole is necessarily better. It's not like Football where they've been winning championships forever and we're a perennial have-not.
If we both interview the same candidate I think it will come down to which administration the potential coach feels more comfortable with.

HSVDawg
03-22-2015, 08:59 AM

Is it really a better job? You look at each of our programs side by side and get the following:

Championships, deep tourney runs, etc: Roughly even, maybe even slight advantage MSU.
Pay scale: Even. Bama has more money but they aren't gonna spend it on BBall.
Facilities: Advantage MSU. Coleman is a dump, plus our indoor practice facility is very nice.
Town: Advantage Bama. I'm biased and don't really think so, but Ttown has some appeal to most.
Recruiting base: Even, maybe slight advantage Bama. This is not a strength for either program.
Current talent base: Advantage MSU. Top 4 players for MSU are returning. Bama loses a lot to graduation.

On paper, the jobs look very equal to me. Bama has more brand appeal so it may seem at the surface like its a better job, but this isn't football. I will say that they probably hire a coach before we do just because they have been in the market a week longer.

HSVDawg
03-22-2015, 09:13 AM

Is it really a better job? You look at each of our programs side by side and get the following:

Championships, deep tourney runs, etc: Roughly even, maybe even slight advantage MSU.
Pay scale: Even. Bama has more money but they aren't gonna spend it on BBall.
Facilities: Advantage MSU. Coleman is a dump, plus our indoor practice facility is very nice.
Town: Advantage Bama. I'm biased and don't really think so, but Ttown has some appeal to most.
Recruiting base: Even, maybe slight advantage Bama. This is not a strength for either program.
Current talent base: Advantage MSU. Top 4 players for MSU are returning. Bama loses a lot to graduation.

On paper, the jobs look very equal to me. Bama has more brand appeal so it may seem at the surface like its a better job, but this isn't football. I will say that they probably hire a coach before we do just because they have been in the market a week longer.

coastdoglover
03-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Bama is going to throw a ton of money at Gregg Marshall and then if he tells them no, they will go to Prohm. I hope we have already had a discussion with whom we want to hire.

TUSK
03-22-2015, 04:22 PM
I don't think there's much difference between Bammer & MSU in either the two other big 3 sports, historically...

Bammer may have a few more championships and the lead H2H, but it's almost negligible, IMO...