PDA

View Full Version : Mark Gottfried about to make 3rd Sweet 16, 2nd in last 4...

RougeDawg
03-21-2015, 08:32 PM
In his 4th consecutive tourney at NC State, yet he was fun our of Bama for a couple bad years. His track record spoke for itself prior to his firing, yet the Bama football mentality affected it's basketball program.

He's made the tourney 9 of 15 years as a HC, yet he wasn't good enough for the Tide. My main question is "is it really that difficult to win in the SEC" or "Is the perception of conferences biased based on historical records" the main factor in the perception of the success of SEC head backer all cosches. A 20-10 ACC team is "perceived" to be the better team every year over a 20-10 SEC team, and will trump the SEC team come selection time (I know there are execpetions. I'm speaking in general terms). It will not be easy to change this perspective, but I feel like this perception is the reason SEC coaches are "perceived" to not do as well in the SEC as they did in their previous position and next HC position.

TopDog58
03-21-2015, 08:47 PM
Outside of Florida and Kentucky, the teams tend to play garbage OOC schedules, and the SEC << ACC RPI so conference wins don't help nearly enough. Add in the 16 game schedule and divisions while the ACC, Big East, etc were playing 18 game schedules didn't help.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 08:51 PM
Not only that- but for all the "bad luck" people want to say Stands had in the NCAA Tourney:

This is the 2nd time Gottfried has beaten a 1-seed

TUSK
03-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Word was he got cocky and was a prick after hitting the Elite 8 and getting an early season #1 ranking... and I don’t think his SEC record was good…

Well, that and banging co-eds on the local golf course...

Heck, if ya'll fire Ray, MSU should make a run at Gottfried... of course, you'd have to rename the B-ball facility "The Hump 2"....

mstatefan91
03-21-2015, 09:19 PM
Bama on the phone with Gottfried....

http://33.media.tumblr.com/0d96fafaee76198607b6185241cea02d/tumblr_mldfv2jD5G1rvnnvyo6_250.gif

RougeDawg
03-21-2015, 09:19 PM
Word was he got cocky and was a prick after hitting the Elite 8 and getting an early season #1 ranking... and I don?t think his SEC record was good?

Heck, if ya'll fire Ray, MSU should make a run at Gottfried... of course, you'd have to rename the B-ball facility "The Hump 2"....

Shit, I'll take that over losing to Upstate Carolina. Semi joking.

I think the Bama football "winning mentality" greatly and sometimes negatively effects the other head coaches. It's a fine line but Bama does not accept losing in any event. Or sport for very long before they make a change. It's not a bad characteristic, I just meant the SEC is way behind the 8 Ball when it comes to Mens Baskerball perspective.

mstatefan91
03-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Word was he got cocky and was a prick after hitting the Elite 8 and getting an early season #1 ranking... and I don’t think his SEC record was good…

We did fire Ray. Where have you been?

TUSK
03-21-2015, 09:39 PM
We did fire Ray. Where have you been?

Damn, did it happen today? I've been "out"...

mstatefan91
03-21-2015, 09:41 PM

Yep. About 12:30 today

engie
03-21-2015, 09:44 PM

Yeah, decision came down today...

Gottfried is at a borderline elite basketball school now. NCState is an upgrade from the vast majority of the SEC and certainly an upgrade from MSU, even if they had been stuck in a prolonged dark age prior to hiring him.

Homedawg
03-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Nc state has won two national championships in the last 40 years. They are a wayyyyyy better program than almost all in our league