PDA

View Full Version : Unified fan base

Coach007
03-21-2015, 06:19 PM
For every action, there is an opposite reaction.

The AD fired Stans. Was a crapfest fire. It totally split the fan base. We lost a lot of money (regardless of what some would lead you to believe). At no point was that issues fixed.

This move by the AD is the right move. The right hire will bring all sides back in, and I look forward to a full Hump!

dickiedawg
03-21-2015, 06:33 PM
I agree. Maybe we can finally move past the Stansbury firing.

Surely there won't be bitterness over letting Ray go, right?

TopDog58
03-21-2015, 06:34 PM
Short of prying Coach K from Duke or digging up John Wooden, I don't think one coaching hire is going to work that quickly. There's still too much Stans love and I told you so's from all different sides. It's going to take time and winning. The new coach will still have work to do

Coach007
03-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Sure he will. If we don't start winning, we will have the worst of both sides come out. But at first, all sides will give this hire a chance. That's what's needed. People who liked Stans want to be back at the hump. Those that wanted him gone will be back at the hump to see what we hired.

A 50/50 season in year 1 WILL sell the hump out for season 2.

dickiedawg
03-21-2015, 07:48 PM
If what I'm hearing is true** the hire we make WILL excite the fanbase and get the Hump rocking again.

(I haven't heard squat and neither has anyone else. My gut tells me Scott learned his lesson last time and didn't make this move without a plan A, B and C in place.)

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2015, 08:04 PM

The AD fired Stans. Was a crapfest fire. It totally split the fan base. We lost a lot of money (regardless of what some would lead you to believe). At no point was that issues fixed.

This move by the AD is the right move. The right hire will bring all sides back in, and I look forward to a full Hump!

I agree. The firing of Stans WHEN IT OCCURED was the worst move by our athletic department since McKeen. Hopefully it won't take THAT long to recover.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 08:10 PM
I agree. The firing of Stans WHEN IT OCCURED was the worst move by our athletic department since McKeen. Hopefully it won't take THAT long to recover.

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

engie
03-21-2015, 08:13 PM

In reality, the fanbase hadn't really been united since the road warriors...

A great or even good hire right here will unite it...

engie
03-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Short of prying Coach K from Duke or digging up John Wooden, I don't think one coaching hire is going to work that quickly. There's still too much Stans love and I told you so's from all different sides. It's going to take time and winning. The new coach will still have work to do

I disagree. I think everyone is prettymuch ready to move past that... It's far enough in the rearview now that we all can/should move on...

RougeDawg
03-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Stans had to be fired no matter what. That debate should be non existent.

The reason we are where we are today, is Stricklin going in half cocked during the previous hire. He went in with a champagne appetite and a beer pocketbook. We got what we paid for. Period. Hopefully we learned our lesson.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Stans had to be fired no matter what. That debate should be non existent.

The reason we are where we are today, is Stricklin going in half cocked during the previous hire. He went in with a champagne appetite and a beer pocketbook. We got what we paid for. Period. Hopefully we learned our lesson.

But that debate it WAS very much alive and you were probably in the minority no matter what you think. If we had waited ONE year I think it would have been resolved.

I seen it dawg
03-21-2015, 08:58 PM
But that debate it WAS very much alive and you were probably in the minority no matter what you think. If we had waited ONE year I think it would have been resolved.

Wrong answer.

RougeDawg
03-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Wrong answer.

Are you agreeing with me? For the record I agree with a good bit of your football and basketball posts.

I seen it dawg
03-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Are you agreeing with me? For the record I agree with a good bit of your football and basketball posts.

Yes. Your take is 100% spot on.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 09:19 PM
I actually agree with Liverpool that had we waited another year- the fanbase would have been more united. Stands 2013 team would have been ****ing awful- and there wouldn't have been any question at that point

engie
03-21-2015, 09:58 PM
A year too early or a year too late with Stans for sure. Given what we know in hindsight -- it was a year early.

He had a way with pulling rabbits when it should have fallen apart -- and still managing to be decent. That team with Josh Gray at the 1, Sword and Steele at the 2, Ware and Wendell at the 5, the Euro and Roq at the 4, with Fred and possibly still Hood and most likely Pollard at the 3 -- would NOT have been as bad as what we actually saw -- and he would have pulled a rabbit transfer or two too knowing Stans. I was well past ready to go a different direction as well -- but hindsight tells me that while it wouldn't have been a very good year -- it's pretty crazy to say it would have been "just as bad" under Stans....

JOHNHEVESYMADE
03-21-2015, 10:41 PM
If Stricklin messes up this hire we might not ever be good again. Look at SEC west, a&m top 5 class, auburn with pearl will win and win big, ole miss new arena, bama new hire and better job than msu, Arkansas anderson will get it done regardless better job than msu, and lsu another top 5 class. Our expectations might need to be lowered we might not win as much as we did ever again. Whoever we hire if they sign Malik I will instantly be a fan.

KB21
03-21-2015, 11:55 PM
The Stansbury firing was about 3 years too late. He was allowed to run the program completely into the ground before he left.

1bigdawg
03-22-2015, 07:48 AM
The AD fired Stans. Was a crapfest fire. It totally split the fan base.

One can agree or disagree that Stans should have been fired, but there is no doubt that the fan base was already split by the lack of enough success on the court to make people forget the off the court disasters.

I seen it dawg
03-22-2015, 09:05 AM
One can agree or disagree that Stans should have been fired, but there is no doubt that the fan base was already split by the lack of enough success on the court to make people forget the off the court disasters.

Yep all it did was get the rest of the people off the fence.

Dawg61
03-22-2015, 11:44 AM
If Stricklin messes up this hire we might not ever be good again. Look at SEC west, a&m top 5 class, auburn with pearl will win and win big, ole miss new arena, bama new hire and better job than msu, Arkansas anderson will get it done regardless better job than msu, and lsu another top 5 class. Our expectations might need to be lowered we might not win as much as we did ever again. Whoever we hire if they sign Malik I will instantly be a fan.

Luckily for us then there is no SEC West in bball anymore

NCDawg
03-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Wonder how much we're having to pay Ray not to coach? How many years left on his contract?

bluelightstar
03-22-2015, 12:07 PM
Wonder how much we're having to pay Ray not to coach? How many years left on his contract?

He is being compensated for 2 more years.

Dawg61
03-22-2015, 12:20 PM
He is being compensated for 2 more years.

No what I read is Ray had two years left but they aren't fully guaranteed so basically we'll pay Ray for one year and the last year is off the books. Ray gets $1 MM more.

bluelightstar
03-22-2015, 12:44 PM
No what I read is Ray had two years left but they aren't fully guaranteed so basically we'll pay Ray for one year and the last year is off the books. Ray gets $1 MM more.

Seemed like Stricklin said in the press conference that Ray would get the pay for 2 more years

engie
03-22-2015, 01:02 PM
Seemed like Stricklin said in the press conference that Ray would get the pay for 2 more years

Ray has two years remaining on a contract that pays about $1 million annually. Stricklin said the school will owe “a portion” of that salary, but that the contract is not fully guaranteed.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/mississippi-state-fires-rick-ray-after-3-seasons/2015/03/21/69c1d504-cff4-11e4-8730-4f473416e759_story.html

Dawg61
03-22-2015, 01:06 PM

Then he's just giving Ray charity because he's not contractually obligated to do so. I seriously doubt SS is even allowed to pay Ray an extra mill just cause Ray is a nice guy. $4 million to clean up our program is more than fair. The last mill needs to go to Howland's assistants. Ray gets paid for one more year and BH gets the other mill for his assistants. That's what I think should happen.

Coach007
03-22-2015, 01:14 PM
Then he's just giving Ray charity because he's not contractually obligated to do so. I seriously doubt SS is even allowed to pay Ray an extra mill just cause Ray is a nice guy. $4 million to clean up our program is more than fair. The last mill needs to go to Howland's assistants. Ray gets paid for one more year and BH gets the other mill for his assistants. That's what I think should happen.

Clean our program? Was it dirty?