PDA

View Full Version : Per Stricklin press conference, not using a search firm this time.

Jacksondevildog
03-21-2015, 01:39 PM
He is doing most of the search himself. He says that he has a list of coaches now that he will contact. Please don't F this up.

engie
03-21-2015, 01:45 PM
He is doing most of the search himself. He says that he has a list of coaches now that he will contact. Please don't F this up.

Wow. I'm shocked at the levity it appears he's being granted with the move here. Certainly doesn't appear "it's being taken out of his hands" as some are saying...

This indicates, to me, that it is quite possible that he has already got a deal in principle in place behind the scenes with a no-doubt homerun hire.
- Surprise move after expecting Ray to get year 4.
- No search firm.
- Decision made directly after the first round of the NCAA tourney is over and a bunch of really good up-and-coming coaches on "my" radar bowed out.

Not saying that's correct -- and hesitant to believe it given the last search -- but the shoe certainly seems to fit...

preachermatt83
03-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Wow. I'm shocked at the levity it appears he's being granted with the move here. Certainly doesn't appear "it's being taken out of his hands" as some are saying...

This indicates, to me, that it is quite possible that he has already got a deal in principle in place behind the scenes with a no-doubt homerun hire.
- No search firm.
- Decision made directly after the first round of the NCAA tourney is over and a bunch of really good up-and-coming coaches on "my" radar bowed out.

Not saying that's correct -- and hesitant to believe it given the last search -- but the shoe certainly seems to fit...

yup.. bet you are right. I'm exited!!

missouridawg
03-21-2015, 01:47 PM
This means the hire has already been made. Got to wait a bit to announce it so as to appear to have not hired the guy before we fired the guy.

runwildjerious
03-21-2015, 01:47 PM

- No search firm.

One would hope. This hire is huge and he has done the right thing with WBB and SB hires. We have got to make the Hump come back to life.

Dawg61
03-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Gotta think the next hire is already locked down.

dawg21
03-21-2015, 01:49 PM
I have a hunch there was a deal in principle in place at midseason.

curmudgeon
03-21-2015, 01:51 PM
It might be Howland. Holland interviewed and really wanted the Oregon State job last year. MSU > Oregon State

Jacksondevildog
03-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Who the hell would it be???
I have a hunch there was a deal in principle in place at midseason.

engie
03-21-2015, 01:57 PM
The Howland shoe seems to fit...

Katz probably wouldn't have just pulled that out of thin air...

msstate7
03-21-2015, 02:00 PM
It might be Howland. Holland interviewed and really wanted the Oregon State job last year. MSU > Oregon State

Why would Oregon state turn down a proven top notch coach that did it in their conference?

Dawg61
03-21-2015, 02:00 PM

More than thrilled if it's Howland!

Dawg61
03-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Why would Oregon state turn down a proven top notch coach that did it in their conference?

Because he's dirty money on the West coast. At MSU he's just a damn good coach getting another chance.

preachermatt83
03-21-2015, 02:03 PM
Because he's dirty money on the West coast. At MSU he's just a damn good coach getting another chance.

yup, like someone else said.. Jackie Sherrill like.

msstate7
03-21-2015, 02:04 PM
If howland can recruit here, I'd love to have him. Recruiting here not the same as ucla

mparkerfd20
03-21-2015, 02:19 PM
I'd love Howland

Dawg61
03-21-2015, 02:28 PM
If howland can recruit here, I'd love to have him. Recruiting here not the same as ucla

Howland is 1000x better than Eustachy

dawg21
03-21-2015, 02:30 PM
I have no idea..I don't keep up with basketball much. But I do know this..after we lost those stupid OOC games something was different with Strick....and he was traveling a lot. Might have been nothing..but I'd put my money on a HR hire.

msstate7
03-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Howland is 1000x better than Eustachy

No one's better than eustachy**

Coach34
03-21-2015, 02:44 PM
I have no idea..I don't keep up with basketball much. But I do know this..after we lost those stupid OOC games something was different with Strick....and he was traveling a lot. Might have been nothing..but I'd put my money on a HR hire.

Stricklin put an awful lot of effort telling people Ray was not going to be fired and reasons why. This is reading way too much into things imo.

This was a forced firing and you can bet a group of State people will make this decision- not just the AD. We aren't using a firm because we used one last time- and we landed Rick Ray

smootness
03-21-2015, 02:47 PM
Anyone suggesting the AD won't be the one leading the search is someone I assume has 0 legitimate sources.

bluelightstar
03-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Wow! I'm really surprised this happened, as I was convinced Ray would be back for next year. Stricklin certainly did not want to fire him.

I'm glad though -- Ray's a good guy, but 37-60 won't get it done. Looking forward to seeing who's up next.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Anyone suggesting the AD won't be the one leading the search is someone I assume has 0 legitimate sources.

i haven't heard anyone suggest he wouldn't be running point in the search

rabbitthedawg
03-21-2015, 03:44 PM

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Howland

Madisonmd
03-21-2015, 03:49 PM
The Ray hire was completed with a search firm, but not the Eddie Fogler firm that most institutions have used. This situation may be dictating a new approach.

smootness
03-21-2015, 03:57 PM
i haven't heard anyone suggest he wouldn't be running point in the search

Yeah, because you just edited your post. Good grief, man.

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-21-2015, 04:02 PM
I don't keep up with basketball as much as I do the other big two, so I had to look at the link above to see who Howland was. My first thought after reading his bio is he doesn't fit the "up and comer" that we seem to have taken in the past several hires in all sports. Just my first thought as I don't have a preference due to lack of knowledge.

maroonmania
03-21-2015, 04:08 PM
I want whoever Horatio wants. This should be the easiest search for a HC we've ever had. NOTHING would inject life back into our basketball program like signing Malik Newman, NOTHING. Put Malik with our 4 returning seniors and a halfway decent coach and we are in the NCAA tournament next year. The Hump would actually come alive again.

Maroons
03-21-2015, 04:14 PM
I want whoever Horatio wants. This should be the easiest search for a HC we've ever had. NOTHING would inject life back into our basketball program like signing Malik Newman, NOTHING. Put Malik with our 4 returning seniors and a halfway decent coach and we are in the NCAA tournament next year. The Hump would actually come alive again.

Incredibly short-sighted.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Yeah, because you just edited your post. Good grief, man.

What are you talking about?? At no point have I said SS wouldn't be involved in this hire. Wtf?

smootness
03-21-2015, 04:18 PM
What are you talking about?? At no point have I said SS wouldn't be involved in this hire. Wtf?

Dude, your original post said 'a group of State people' (which didn't include Stricklin) would lead the search. You didn't say Stricklin wouldn't be involved at all but made it clear you heard he wouldn't be the driving force. I don't remember the exact wording, but that's what you said or obviously intimated. Then you edited it to say 'along with' Stricklin. Don't do this, you're losing credibility.

And I never suggested you said he wouldn't be involved at all. Way to try to twist this around.

maroonmania
03-21-2015, 04:21 PM
Incredibly short-sighted.

Short-sighted was the crap we've been fed the past 3 years with recruiting classes at the bottom of the SEC. You can have your opinion, I'll keep mine. OM hired David Cutcliffe to get Eli and that worked out pretty good.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Dude, your original post said 'a group of State people' (which didn't include Stricklin) would lead the search. You didn't say Stricklin wouldn't be involved at all but made it clear you heard he wouldn't be the driving force. I don't remember the exact wording, but that's what you said or obviously intimated. Then you edited it to say 'along with' Stricklin. Don't do this, you're losing credibility..

i in no way, shape, or form said Strick would not be involved in the search. **** no I didnt.- that's an outright lie. All I've said is that he was told to fire Ray. You are making shit up. He will be part of the decision- but it won't be all his to make.

Any posts I've edited have been due to this new phone including extra words and shit.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 04:30 PM
What post are you talking about?

tcdog70
03-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Bringing Coaches in from the West Coast hasn't worked well before.

smootness
03-21-2015, 04:34 PM
What post are you talking about?

The one you edited one minute before you said no one has claimed Stricklin wouldn't lead the search. You absolutely changed your wording, which originally insinuated it wouldn't be Stricklin.

I know because I went back to quote your post (which I had responded directly to), and you had changed it.

Maroons
03-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Short-sighted was the crap we've been fed the past 3 years with recruiting classes at the bottom of the SEC. You can have your opinion, I'll keep mine. OM hired David Cutcliffe to get Eli and that worked out pretty good.

So let's just let Horatio make the hire? That's what you're saying.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 04:40 PM
The one you edited one minute before you said no one has claimed Stricklin wouldn't lead the search. You absolutely changed your wording, which originally insinuated it wouldn't be Stricklin.

I know because I went back to quote your post (which I had responded directly to), and you had changed it.

Thats a complete lie. I edited an extra "is" out of the post. That post is exactly as it was

Jacksondevildog
03-21-2015, 04:40 PM
Diddy Manning did with Cutcliffe but I guess we are scared to let Horatio have a say so.

smootness
03-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Thats a complete lie. I edited an extra "is" out of the post. That post is exactly as it was

Please.

Since there's no way for me to prove anything, and because it isn't a big deal, I'll drop it.

And if you can prove me wrong, I sincerely apologize. I'm not trying to lie to call you out.

But I replied directly to your original post that I had just read, and I went back to quote it to show you as the one suggesting that - and it read completely different than I had remembered. Then I noticed the edit and the time.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 04:47 PM
What the **** ever- I in no way, shape, or form changed any wording in that post. You obviously misread

TheRef
03-21-2015, 04:49 PM
What the **** ever- I in no way, shape, or form changed any wording in that post. You obviously misread

Hey hey hey....you two take this to PMs if y'all wanna argue, please.

tcdog70
03-21-2015, 04:51 PM
Coach ain't use to one of "His Boys" calling him out .

Coach34
03-21-2015, 04:53 PM
If it's something I've done- I don't have a problem with anybody disagreeing. I didn't do what he said. I've been posting with my phone and typing fast. That post had an extra is in it- I saw it and edited. Much ado about nothing