PDA

View Full Version : A somewhat melancholy feeling today.

State82
06-26-2013, 10:42 PM
It's not because we lost. It's because it's over. This has been the most incredible season/run we have ever witnessed in MSU sports history. And for the first time since I finished at MSU (long time ago), I saw every weekend series at DNF from the first one until the South Carolina series to finish the regular season, then to Hoover for the first few days, and finally a trip to Omaha for the game that made history for our athletic department. It's not easy to make the 2 hour trip for every home weekend series and stay one or two nights, but for some reason, I had looked forward to this year more than any in the past. Just a hunch I had I suppose. I have always hated seeing the end of baseball season arrive (except in 2008, 2009 and 2010) but today, the season's end has been especially sad. Not because it ended with a two game sweep at the hands of the national champions, but just because it ended. Man, what a ride this one has been.

The sea of MSU faithful that descended upon the promised land of collegiate baseball this week was something of legend. The whole year has been something of legend. From the win streak to start the year, to the incredible comeback at UM to get the whole juggernaut rolling, the final regular season weekend/Hoover heroics to lock down the regional host and the march through national seed UVA. Just unbelievable. Although I only had the opportunity to see one game in Omaha, it was worth every one of the 900 miles. When the final out was made last Friday, I stood in stunned silence for several minutes with a feeling I had never experienced at a sporting event. That's the reason today is kind of sad. Not because the National Championship Trophy won't reside in Starkville (at least not this year), but just because it is over.

I am in a very small minority, but I have always wanted that CWS trophy more than anything else with regard to MSU sports. DNF is one of my most favorite places in the world, and its not the concrete, masonry or steel. Like John Cohen has said a number of times, it's the people that make Mississippi State University great. It's the thousands and thousands of fans that trekked a thousand miles to create an atmosphere that has not been matched at the greatest collegiate sporting event there is. It's Rea, Holder, Renfroe, Bradford, Henderson, Pirtle, Frazier, Detz, Frost, Ammo, Slauter, Graveman, Girodo, Mitchell, Porter, Pollo, Fitts, Gentry, Cox et al. It's the people/players/fans/coaches that make Mississippi State University great. I have MSU baseball friends that are like my family. And they became that way because of MSU baseball years ago. I wouldn't trade anything for the chance to arrive at the outfield gates 2 hours before first pitch every weekend, and prepare for an all day affair, MSU baseball style. Nothing like it in college sports, in my opinion. My daughter was raised at DNF from time she was 7 months old (her first game). 15 years later, she wouldn't miss a game for the world. This is another reason it is such a special place to me.

I will admit that I had some concerns in 2010 with regard to the direction of the program. However, John Cohen & staff have produced a product that is nothing short of miraculous when compared to the situation he inherited. Every time I listen to an interview with him, I come away more impressed. Even 5 years into his tenure. This run should produce immeasurable benefits for the program in the near future if it is sowed and reaped in the right fashion. And I believe this staff knows just how to do that. Its hard to comprehend the brightness of the program's future now as compared to just three short years ago. But, this 2013 squad will hold a special place in all our hearts forever more. And that's the reason the mood is kind of melancholy today. Not because the final game of many of their careers ended with a loss. But because some of those careers have ended.

Sorry for the rambling and waxing nostalgic, but it was just something I needed to write. With that being said, opening day 2014 is just 8 months away!

Political Hack
06-27-2013, 07:02 AM
great post and couldn't agree more. I don't think a lot of people truly appreciate what was accomplished this year. Its a rare, very rare, thing to see Mississippi State playing in a National Championship series in any sport. I think Cohen wil have us back in Omaha on the regular and we'll eventually get a title, but up til' now, this is the greatest accomplishment in any MSU sports team ever.

Ghost of Hank Flick
06-27-2013, 08:20 AM
This is a great post! Check your PM.

maroonmania
06-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Great post and got me to thinking. Let's be honest, is baseball the only sport where MSU truly has a realistic chance in winning a NC? Maybe 1996 showed that if all the stars align just right there may be an outside chance in basketball but I think it would be extremely difficult to ever get that far again. Especially if we are determined to stay above board in the dark world of basketball recruiting. And I really think there is a virtual zero chance of pulling it off in football. Would be interested in the thoughts of others on this.

FlabLoser
06-27-2013, 11:20 AM
I think we have as good a shot in basketball as we do in baseball.

Ja Money's last team was really good. They barely, barely lost in the tournament to a Memphis team that won the hole thing (I think).

The 96 team got hot at just the right time just like the 2013 baseball team. After '96, Stans had some teams that were good enough to get hot and make a strong run in the tournament. But of course Stans teams always grossly underachieved in the post season due to poor floor coaching.

If R Ray recruits like Stansbury did I have no doubt we'll have some good post season fireworks on a semi regular basis.

Football is about to change dramatically with the playoff coming. We'll have to see how that plays out. I want to say a football playoff gives us a better shot. To win it, you need to be a top 4 team and have things go right in the playoff. It would be a lot easier to earn a top 4 spot in that system than to be in today's system that requires a 1 or 2 spot in a beauty contest.

Sandman14
06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
There is nothing that has occurred in John Cohen's tenure at MSU that should have given anyone any concern. The trajectory of the team has been right in line with any reasonable view. The first two years, you had to know we'd have losing records. You could hope for more, but "hope" does not equate "reasonable expectation." From there we've won championships every single season. This year we've won multiple championships and finished as the national runner up. Soon enough, we'll have a national championship.

Aside from that, I agree with everything you said. I'd much rather have a national title in baseball than any other sport.

We have much less chance in basketball to win a national title than in baseball. In fact, over the next ten years, I'd say there is a 50% chance we'll win at least one national title in baseball. Cohen isn't going anywhere. That's a very high figure, considering we've never won one in any of the big 3 sports.

maroonmania
06-27-2013, 12:29 PM
If R Ray recruits like Stansbury did I have no doubt we'll have some good post season fireworks on a semi regular basis.

So I guess I'm doubting R Ray will recruit like Stansbury or will even be allowed to recruit like Stansbury.

Ronny
06-27-2013, 01:24 PM
..only chance of hoisting a national trophy.

1996 in basketball was a happy fluke that will never occur again.

Football? As Paulie Walnuts would say, "Forgitaboutit."

We briefly glanced the Promised Land but UCLA was just too locked in.

Have no idea what the future of MSU baseball holds, but all I can say is expect the unexpected.