PDA

View Full Version : Official Short List thread....

preachermatt83
03-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Mine...

Jerod Haase- UAB Head Coach

Larry Eustachy- Colorado St head coach

Kenny Payne- UK Assistant

Archie Miller- DAYTON Head Coach

Kelvin Sampson- Houston HC

Richard Petino- Minn HC

Michael white- LaTech HC... (I really don't want an OM guy but would put him on list)

Greg Marshall- Wich St Head Coach... (Pipe Dream)

msstate7
03-21-2015, 12:59 PM
I'd call Archie miller for sure, but I seriously doubt we can pull him. Bama would get him before us imo

I think eustachy is the safest hire. We're almost guaranteed to win with him

Coach34
03-21-2015, 01:01 PM
Miller and Pitino are pipe dreams.

dawgman42
03-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Not another love affair with Kenny Payne. If this guy had the "IT" factor, why's he still sitting motionless on the UK bench? We need to look elsewhere at a current head coach.

mic
03-21-2015, 01:04 PM
Marshall is a pipe dream.. If I was him I wouldn't even interview with what we offered him last time.

Quaoarsking
03-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Tom Crean would be a home run hire if we could get him. He could possibly be fired from Indiana or just get fed up about being on the hot seat and leave.

mic
03-21-2015, 01:06 PM
Miller and Pitino are pipe dreams.

Agree.. And we aren't getting Sampson. That guy killed Indiana's program when he was ther and got fired.

msstate7
03-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Tom Crean would be a home run hire if we could get him. He could possibly be fired from Indiana or just get fed up about being on the hot seat and leave.

Is be good with him too.

mic
03-21-2015, 01:07 PM

Hearing Bama may be all in on him...

mic
03-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Mine...

Richard Petino- Minn HC

Michaiel white- LaTech HC... (I really don't want an OM guy but would put him on list)

You can also remove MWhite.. Dude hates MSU as much as we do OM.

ScottH
03-21-2015, 01:11 PM
Add

Ben Howland
Ray Harper
Bob Marlin

Delete

Archie Miller
Kelvin Sampson
Richard Petino
Greg Marshall
Michael White

NeshobaChuck
03-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Big fan of Greg Marshall. Great coach would be so excited for basketball next year if we were to land him

mic
03-21-2015, 01:14 PM
Not another love affair with Kenny Payne. If this guy had the "IT" factor, why's he still sitting motionless on the UK bench? We need to look elsewhere at a current head coach.

Current head coach.... YES.. Or ex head coach... We haven't hired an ex or current D1 head coach since Bob Boyd...

Quaoarsking
03-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Ben Howland
Ray Harper
Bob Marlin

All 3 of those would be good hires.

msstate7
03-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Andy Katz tweets...

Mississippi State should go get Ben Howland. You want to be relevant w/ John Calipari, Billy Donovan and Bruce Pearl in SEC? Get Howland.

Intramural All-American
03-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Mine...

Richard Petino- Minn HC

Michael white- LaTech HC... (I really don't want an OM guy but would put him on list)

Good gosh, please don't go through the Kenny Payne crap again. That would be one of the worst hires we could make. The fact that people still want him is absolutely baffling.

ScottH
03-21-2015, 01:24 PM
All 3 of those would be good hires.

Thank you.

smootness
03-21-2015, 01:25 PM
No on Payne, Sampson, Howland, and Eustachy.

Krystkowiak and Marshall would be the home run of home runs. Miller would be a home run. White and Haase would be solid hires.

Quaoarsking
03-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Andy Katz tweets...

Mississippi State should go get Ben Howland. You want to be relevant w/ John Calipari, Billy Donovan and Bruce Pearl in SEC? Get Howland.

Howland has 3 Final Fours and was an ace recruiter at UCLA. I'd think he'd lock up Malik and have us in the NCAAs next year. Would be an absolute home run hire.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Howland is a good coach- would be a great pull if he thinks he can recruit here

DudyDawg
03-21-2015, 01:27 PM
Howland would be a slam dunk

Dawg61
03-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Bobby Hurley
Scott Drew
Danny Hurley
Bryce Drew
Tommy Amaker
Archie Miller
Hubert Davis
Bob Knight
Ben Jacobson
Brad Underwood
Steven Prohm
Chris Jans
Mark Jackson
Brad Stevens (maybe he hates the NBA)
Lionel Hollins

Couple pipe dreams in there but we only need to hire one

Brad Stevens
03-21-2015, 01:33 PM
Bobby Hurley
Scott Drew
Danny Hurley
Bryce Drew
Tommy Amaker
Archie Miller
Hubert Davis
Bob Knight
Ben Jacobson
Brad Underwood
Steven Prohm
Chris Jans
Mark Jackson
Lionel Hollins

You're crazy if you think I'm leaving Boston for Starkville.

Dawg61
03-21-2015, 01:40 PM

Boston serving all you can eat crow? You got some good eatin to do Brad!**

Goat from MSU
03-21-2015, 01:44 PM
100 inches of snow,you must like winter then.

preachermatt83
03-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Andy Katz tweets...

whoa,,, he wasn't even on my radar, but if that was a possibility that would be an outstanding hire.

curmudgeon
03-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Howland is probably the top coach we have a realistic shot at. I like him, he's won in the Big East and the Pac 12. He could make an immediate impact, especially if we could pull Malik with him.

Maybe Howland with Horatio as Director of Basketball Operations?

HailState39110
03-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Hearing some chatter on Bob Marlin, head coach at UL-Lafayette . MSU grad, from Tupelo . Took ULL to round of 32 last year.

Also coached at Sam Houston St and has an NCAA tournament appearance there in 2010

msstate7
03-21-2015, 02:10 PM
Hearing some chatter on Bob Marlin, head coach at UL-Lafayette . MSU grad, from Tupelo . Took ULL to round of 32 last year.

Also coached at Sam Houston St and has an NCAA tournament appearance there in 2010

Playing in nit right now

Jacksondevildog
03-21-2015, 02:14 PM
It's ok for us to hire a coach that has zero MSU ties and never lived in the golden triangle. Really. It's ok.

preachermatt83
03-21-2015, 02:16 PM

not a home run by any means but I'd support it.. Not a bad coach.. Done even better at Sam Houston st than he has at ULL

engie
03-21-2015, 02:18 PM
Wouldn't be impressed with Marlin...

Underwood is running circles around the amount of success he had a SFA. Underwood would be higher on my list IMO....

KB21
03-21-2015, 02:25 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/why-ben-howland-was-wise-to-pass-on-oregon-state-035552146.html

Got to figure out why in his past 5 seasons at UCLA he had 11 players transfer out. Sounds a lot like the end of Stansbury's tenure at MSU where he let the inmates run the asylum. Only Howland is a MUCH BETTER tactical coach than Stansbury ever thought about being.

smootness
03-21-2015, 02:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/why-ben-howland-was-wise-to-pass-on-oregon-state-035552146.html

Got to figure out why in his past 5 seasons at UCLA he had 11 players transfer out. Sounds a lot like the end of Stansbury's tenure at MSU where he let the inmates run the asylum. Only Howland is a MUCH BETTER tactical coach than Stansbury ever thought about being.

Yea, he could turn out to be a massive home run...or he could be bad news. It would be risky.

No thanks on Marlin.

bobcat91
03-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Hearing Howland is the man. Money men have had enough and are calling the shots. Scott is not involved.

Cowbellringer
03-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Hearing some chatter on Bob Marlin, head coach at UL-Lafayette

One of my favorite longforms is on one of his assistant coaches. It really is a great read. We could do worse.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/11/12/7193135/keep-moving-the-nomadic-life-of-an-assistant-college-basketball-coach?src=longreads&utm_content=buffer68fe5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

smootness
03-21-2015, 02:36 PM
Hearing Howland is the man. Money men have had enough and are calling the shots. Scott is not involved.

Haha ok.

I love the number of people who claim to know what is going on.

There are a few people who have proven to have good info before, and they almost always suggest something different than most.

Saltydog
03-21-2015, 02:38 PM
nt

C222
03-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Bob Marlin??? No.

Really Clark?
03-21-2015, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=bobcat91;348903]Hearing Howland is the man. Money men have had enough and are calling the shots. Scott is not involved.[/QUOTE

I don't if it's Howland or not but the rest of your statement is not factual. And that's from money men.

bobcat91
03-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Haha ok.

There are a few people who have proven to have good info before, and they almost always suggest something different than most.

I hope its someone else personally. I really like miller, Jacobson, Jankovich at SMU and Harper at W Kentucky. I want a young coach with a wide open offense.

smootness
03-21-2015, 02:57 PM
I'm telling you, make Krystkowiak say no. The guy took over Utah 4 years ago and they were in horrendous shape, just as they were moving to the PAC-12. They were at risk of being completely left behind and rendered irrelevant. He has improved them significantly every year, and here they are with a 5 seed and a real shot at the Sweet 16 in year 4.

Again, he's from out west and has spent almost his entire career out there, so it might not be possible, but he would be my first call.

He has NBA experience as well.

preachermatt83
03-21-2015, 03:20 PM
I'm telling you, make Krystkowiak say no. The guy took over Utah 4 years ago and they were in horrendous shape, just as they were moving to the PAC-12. They were at risk of being completely left behind and rendered irrelevant. He has improved them significantly every year, and here they are with a 5 seed and a real shot at the Sweet 16 in year 4.

Again, he's from out west and has spent almost his entire career out there, so it might not be possible, but he would be my first call.

Great coach but he wouldn't even return Stricks call

Quaoarsking
03-21-2015, 03:24 PM

I hate to say it, but Utah is a far more prestigious program than we are. No way this guy leaves Utah, who is happy with him, to come to us.

But I agree that he'd be a good hire if SS somehow pulled it off.

thunderclap
03-21-2015, 03:32 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ben-howland-plaschke-20150211-column.html%23page=1

KB21
03-21-2015, 04:32 PM
Haha ok.

I wish there was a function on this board to thank a post. Fist bump or something.

smootness
03-21-2015, 04:41 PM
I hate to say it, but Utah is a far more prestigious program than we are. No way this guy leaves Utah, who is happy with him, to come to us.

But I agree that he'd be a good hire if SS somehow pulled it off.

Oh, that's almost certainly true. But I'd at least make them give him a fat raise. He isn't making much right now.

tcdog70
03-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Payne, would not surprise me, especially if he brings Newman. Just saying

preachermatt83
03-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Payne, would not surprise me, especially if he brings Newman. Just saying

And I'd be happy

blacklistedbully
03-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Howland is a good coach- would be a great pull if he thinks he can recruit here

From his history at UCLA, it seems like Howland might have handled discipline problems even worse than Stands did.

gravedigger
03-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Scott is not involved.

My sarcasm meter is not calibrated or you are apfinsup

Quaoarsking
03-21-2015, 05:54 PM
From his history at UCLA, it seems like Howland might have handled discipline problems even worse than Stands did.

Maybe so, but Howland is everything we wanted Stansbury to be. An elite recruiter, but he still finished around .500 in the conference even in his worst years (compared to Stans just usually doing it), winning multiple Pac-12 regular season championships (compared to Stans' 1), and multiple deep runs in the tournament -- 3 final fours.

The Stansbury-Howland comparisons are valid, but Howland is superior to Stansbury by every measure. Considering how many posters wish Stans were still our coach, I'd think there would be universal joy if Howland were hired.

smootness
03-21-2015, 06:02 PM
The problem is that early Howland is clearly better than Stans, but late Howland really isn't. It's a risk, not a no-doubt home run.

Quaoarsking
03-21-2015, 06:19 PM
The problem is that early Howland is clearly better than Stans, but late Howland really isn't. It's a risk, not a no-doubt home run.

I disagree. Howland made 3 NCAA Tournaments in his last 5 years (of 10 total), including a conference championship, and 2 second place finishes. That's the bad half of his UCLA stint (the good half had 3 final fours), and it's better than Stan's entire tenure (though slightly less good than Stans best 5-year-stretch, which had 4 NCAA appearances).

Also, Howland was only upset once in the NCAA Tournament. If Howland comes in here and has a 5-year stretch that resembles his last 5 at UCLA, then he was a good hire. If Howland has a 5-year stretch that resembles his overall tenure at UCLA, he was a home run.

Homedawg
03-21-2015, 06:41 PM

He's so good he's about to get shit canned at Indiana- no thanks.

Homedawg
03-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Bobby Hurley
Scott Drew
Danny Hurley
Bryce Drew
Tommy Amaker
Archie Miller
Hubert Davis
Bob Knight
Ben Jacobson
Brad Underwood
Steven Prohm
Chris Jans
Mark Jackson
Lionel Hollins

I'm not sure if there is a guy on that list that will take this job. And I think some are excellent choices that I like.

ScottH
03-21-2015, 10:08 PM
Didn't Joe Dooley, then at Kansas now at Florida Gulf Coast, supposedly have an interest in the position when Rick Ray was hired?

civildawg
03-21-2015, 10:19 PM
We will kiss our program goodbye if we hire Payne. I would have rather kept Ray

Dawg61
03-21-2015, 11:06 PM

Didn't UCLA have a ton of players leaving early for the NBA? They were mini Kentucky once players figured out they only had to go one year there and then it's NBA. Howland had difficulty with that. He didn't embrace that challenge as well as Calipari did. We'd be lucky to have that problem ever here.

KB21
03-22-2015, 12:04 AM
We will kiss our program goodbye if we hire Payne. I would have rather kept Ray

I agree. Those that want Kenny Payne only want him because of his connection to this World Wide Wes character. They think WWW will deliver players to Payne at MSU.

War Machine Dawg
03-22-2015, 12:42 AM
I agree. Those that want Kenny Payne only want him because of his connection to this World Wide Wes character. They think WWW will deliver players to Payne at MSU.

There is literally no "think" to it. It's 100% fact. WWW, Calipari & Co run the CBB world. If you haven't figured that out, I don't know what to tell you. Spitting in their faces and hiring Ray over Cal's top assistant might've been one of the dumbest moves we've ever made at MSU. Even if Payne couldn't coach worth a single damn, he'd have left the cupboard full for the next guy. We know what Ray is leaving.

Political Hack
03-22-2015, 06:51 AM
I'd hire WWW to consult us on the search, but set parameters... 1) has to have head coaching experience, 2) etc...

I still think Shaka's glow at VCU is fading and he could potentially leave for good money. At worst, I'd make him say "not interested." Pipe dream, but I've never understood people who are to afraid to ask a question because someone might respond "no." Why the hell are people so afraid of "no"?

After we get our head guy, Coach Newman is going to be an exciting hire though.

grinnindawg
03-22-2015, 07:27 AM
Looking at past history, hiring a coach who understands recruiting within a 5 hour drive of Starkville would be smart.

Babe, Rick, and Richard all understood the who, how, and where of recruiting to MSU.
Greene may have as well, but inheriting Rickey Brown and company kind of skews limited data.

Hiring someone who has to learn MSU and how to get players to come to Starkville seems foolish to me.

SEC WINNING PERCENTAGE
Coach (Tenure) Pct Record
1. Ron Greene (1978) ....................... .722 13-5
2. Babe McCarthy (1956-65) ............ .620 88-54
3. Rick Stansbury (1999-2012) ......... .545 122-102
4. Frank Carideo (1936-39) .............. .466 27-31
5. Richard Williams (1987-98) .......... .441 89-113
6. Stanfield Hitt (1940-47) ................. .427 41-55

rrog17
03-22-2015, 07:54 AM
What about Jeff Capel? Was ok at OK before running into some problems. Been back on Coack K's bench for a couple of years.

KB21
03-22-2015, 08:00 AM
There is literally no "think" to it. It's 100% fact. WWW, Calipari & Co run the CBB world. If you haven't figured that out, I don't know what to tell you. Spitting in their faces and hiring Ray over Cal's top assistant might've been one of the dumbest moves we've ever made at MSU. Even if Payne couldn't coach worth a single damn, he'd have left the cupboard full for the next guy. We know what Ray is leaving.

Hmm. I wonder why he isn't a head coach already then if it is locked in stone that he would load the cupboard. He's not even the lead assistant on Calipari's staff.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Maybe I missed him bring mentioned, but what about Kermit Davis at MTSU?

bobcat91
03-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Haha ok.

Sucks not to have connections, doesn't it.