PDA

View Full Version : Basketball recruiting

msstate7
03-21-2015, 12:32 PM
I don't think we have anything to worry about with westherspoon, but will tookie request a release? I'm not concerned about strugg either way. Any chance a new coach gets us back in the game with Malik?

Jacksondevildog
03-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Simmonds in 2016 has already decommitted.

msstate7
03-21-2015, 12:36 PM

Knew that would happen. Sucks, but I'm ok with it if we make a solid hire

thf24
03-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Any chance a new coach gets us back in the game with Malik?

It would have to be either a huge name or someone with an existing strong tie at this point in the game I would think.

Not surprising as he was all about Ray, but still disappointing. He's going to be a star wherever he ends up.

HancockCountyDog
03-21-2015, 12:45 PM
I really hope we have a guy lined up and we hire within the next two weeks.

msstate7
03-21-2015, 12:47 PM
I really hope we have a guy lined up and we hire within the next two weeks.

I hope so too. His first call needs to be Malik, followed by tookie and weatherspoon. Really don't wanna lost tookie

RougeDawg
03-21-2015, 12:51 PM
At this point is what we were doing the last three years even considered "recruiting"? I'd say it's a non effect move.in recruiting to send RR packing.

msstate7
03-21-2015, 12:53 PM
At this point is what we were doing the last three years even considered "recruiting"? I'd say it's a non effect move.in recruiting to send RR packing.

Besides Simonds, I agree. I think we keep tookie, weatherspoon, and hicks

msstate7
03-21-2015, 02:13 PM
Does the excitement of hiring a new coach get our network on Malik big time?

RougeDawg
03-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Does the excitement of hiring a new coach get our network on Malik big time?

I would like to think so if we make a hire that shows we are committed to winning. If we throw big dollars out at our coach this time it may sway him.

Wonder if we have any Hump improvements in the works that we've waited to announce due to Baseball and Football upgrades recently. But if we have any type of basketball facility improvements in the works right now wod be the time to announce and create some extra hype.

engie
03-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Wonder if we have any Hump improvements in the works that we've waited to announce due to Baseball and Football upgrades recently. But if we have any type of basketball facility improvements in the works right now wod be the time to announce and create some extra hype.

There are significant Hump upgrades on the horizon... Should be already on it right now IMO...

engie
03-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Any chance a new coach gets us back in the game with Malik?

This will go a long way toward telling the story about the new coach either way. The "right" hire will pull him. We don't need a long, pre-existing relationship between he and the coach. He has that with the school. We can get back in this. We should get back in this. And I expect us to.

He is a program changer. Program builder. Door opener. We get the right coach that gets the alumni base in gear and has shown he can develop guys of Malik's caliber and can otherwise ease Horatio's mind -- and we can get Malik into maroon for one season. That would prettymuch fix this overnight...

Jacksondevildog
03-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Spot on.
This will go a long way toward telling the story about the new coach either way. The "right" hire will pull him. We don't need a long, pre-existing relationship between he and the coach. He has that with the school. We can get back in this. We should get back in this. And I expect us to.

He is a program changer. Program builder. Door opener. We get the right coach that gets the alumni base in gear and has shown he can develop guys of Malik's caliber and can otherwise ease Horatio's mind -- and we can get Malik into maroon for one season. That would prettymuch fix this overnight...

smootness
03-21-2015, 04:13 PM
Newman would be huge for next year and would be important for the program, but he alone won't be a program builder or program changer.

OJ Mayo didn't change USC. Anthony Bennett didn't build UNLV back. Derrick Favors didn't change GA Tech. Lance Stephenson didn't change Cincinnati. And while Kansas State became relevant starting with Beasley, I think that had more to do with the wider results of Huggins' one year there than solely Beasley.

Outside of Beasley, I can't think of any top recruit who was a one-and-done that went somewhere outside of the big powers and had any kind of lasting impact. And even there, they didn't start landing multiple big-time players.

Newman could get some early recruiting momentum going for whoever the next coach is, but we wouldn't start landing big-time players because Newman played here.

I want Newman for Newman. I don't expect long-lasting residual impact.

msstate7
03-21-2015, 04:18 PM
Newman would be huge for next year and would be important for the program, but he alone won't be a program builder or program changer.

OJ Mayo didn't change USC. Anthony Bennett didn't build UNLV back. Derrick Favors didn't change GA Tech. Lance Stephenson didn't change Cincinnati. And while Kansas State became relevant starting with Beasley, I think that had more to do with the wider results of Huggins' one year there than solely Beasley.

Outside of Beasley, I can't think of any top recruit who was a one-and-done that went somewhere outside of the big powers and had any kind of lasting impact. And even there, they didn't start landing multiple big-time players.

Newman could get some early recruiting momentum going for whoever the next coach is, but we wouldn't start landing big-time players because Newman played here.

I want Newman for Newman. I don't expect long-lasting residual impact.

If we get Newman, postseason play, and Newman gets to nba, that could get us kegler the next year. 2017 is a great class in miss, so we could parlay Malik to national prominence... well, tourney team every year

smootness
03-21-2015, 04:25 PM
If we get Newman, postseason play, and Newman gets to nba, that could get us kegler the next year. 2017 is a great class in miss, so we could parlay Malik to national prominence... well, tourney team every year

It could but probably wouldn't. Kegler isn't in MS anymore, and he wouldn't get to play with Newman.

I just think expecting Newman alone to propel us to somewhere we've never been before is extremely unrealistic.

He's important, but making the right hire is more important for the program. Getting both would obviously be great.

But we don't need to make a decision solely based on Newman. Getting him wouldn't solve all of our problems.

Drugdog
03-21-2015, 05:47 PM
There are significant Hump upgrades on the horizon... Should be already on it right now IMO...

Examples please.

ScottH
03-21-2015, 05:57 PM
Has Diamond Stone committed anywhere yet?

If not, put him on the search committee with Malik.