PDA

View Full Version : My choice to be the next Head Coach

Coach34
03-21-2015, 12:26 PM
Richard Willams

His first two hires- Horatio Webster and Robert Kirby. Add another solid asst

Veteran team + Malik Newman would be perfect for Williams. Get Kirby and the rest shaking the trees on the recruiting trail. He could be the guy for 3-4 years to get some momentum back- then find our next guy

SDDawg
03-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Yes, agreed. The baggage of the past is gone and Williams is a teacher, developer of talent (players and coaches) and knows how to win. He would be a good mid-term hire to help the program get out of the cellar.

TheRef
03-21-2015, 12:33 PM
My only fear with that is we will get a Polk situation.

preachermatt83
03-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Good Grief Richard Williams is not a good basketball coach. period

BeardoMSU
03-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Re-treads rarely work.

Hiring Williams sure would make a splash, though***

Coach34
03-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Hiring Williams would give us Newman. Newman would build momentum in the program we really need

SDDawg
03-21-2015, 12:38 PM
Hiring Williams would give us Newman. Newman would build momentum in the program we really need

+1, this is the Hail Mary for Newman that just might work.

BeardoMSU
03-21-2015, 12:38 PM
Hiring Williams would give us Newman.

And you know this to be fact?

msstate7
03-21-2015, 12:39 PM

Land Malik and put him in the nba after a solid year, then we might get kegler the next year

smootness
03-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Holy crap, people.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 12:42 PM
And you know this to be fact?

100%

BeardoMSU
03-21-2015, 12:43 PM
100%

Hmm, well, that would be interesting.

I'm really shocked Strick had the balls and ponied up. Hell yeah, now I can start caring about basketball again.

engie
03-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Would we have to hire RW as a head man or could we get him back as an assistant?

I think the right hire lands Malik period. The alumni base won't let him go anywhere else if we make the right decision...

Strick boutta earn his stripes...

TopDog58
03-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Bring back Bury?

I seen it dawg
03-21-2015, 12:48 PM
Bring back Bury?

Absolutely not

Coach34
03-21-2015, 12:49 PM
Hmm, well, that would be interesting.

I'm really shocked Strick had the balls and ponied up. Hell yeah, now I can start caring about basketball again.

im hearing Strick had no choice

coastdoglover
03-21-2015, 12:57 PM
[now we are assured why you hated Stansbury so bad, but if Scott is dumb enough to bring Williams back then we will all know he has lost it. Lots of good candidates and if anybody at MSU thinks you are an expert, then we are really in trouble .

QUOTE=Coach34;348645]Richard Willams

Veteran team + Malik Newman would be perfect for Williams. Get Kirby and the rest shaking the trees on the recruiting trail. He could be the guy for 3-4 years to get some momentum back- then find our next guy[/QUOTE]

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-21-2015, 12:58 PM
100%

Is that like a "Ray will be back next season", 100% ?

I seen it dawg
03-21-2015, 12:58 PM
[now we are assured why you hated Stansbury so bad, but if Scott is dumb enough to bring Williams back then we will all know he has lost it. Lots of good candidates and if anybody at MSU thinks you are an expert, then we are really in trouble .

QUOTE=Coach34;348645]Richard Willams

Veteran team + Malik Newman would be perfect for Williams. Get Kirby and the rest shaking the trees on the recruiting trail. He could be the guy for 3-4 years to get some momentum back- then find our next guy[/QUOTE]

Keep your mouth closed and your wallet open.

klong-dog
03-21-2015, 12:59 PM
It's simple.... talk to Horatio and find out exactly who it needs to be

hells bells
03-21-2015, 01:09 PM
Richard Willams

Veteran team + Malik Newman would be perfect for Williams. Get Kirby and the rest shaking the trees on the recruiting trail. He could be the guy for 3-4 years to get some momentum back- then find our next guy

Plus 1. My choice also.

Harrydawg
03-21-2015, 01:11 PM
Richard Williams is not an option.....for what it's worth

Coach34
03-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Is that like a "Ray will be back next season", 100% ?

if it had been left up to the AD- he would have

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-21-2015, 02:54 PM
if it had been left up to the AD- he would have

I don't think you truly understand the meaning of 100% then.

"60 % of the time, it works every time"

Jacksondevildog
03-21-2015, 02:57 PM
I agree with Coach. If it was Scott's decision, he would have stayed one more year. It wasn't.

99jc
03-21-2015, 02:58 PM
Richard Willams

hardheaded stance Ricky Shit Ray would get another year or 2. Hell you cant even admit Ricky Ray couldn't even sniff Stansburys Jock Strap. Hell I thought you would be all ought to get Mark Gotfried since he made the Great 8 !

bobcat91
03-21-2015, 03:04 PM
RW? Hell no. That's insane.

Really Clark?
03-21-2015, 03:12 PM
hardheaded stance Ricky Shit Ray would get another year or 2. Hell you cant even admit Ricky Ray couldn't even sniff Stansburys Jock Strap. Hell I thought you would be all ought to get Mark Gotfried since he made the Great 8 !

Even the sports sites with their contacts were being led to believe the same. Don't act like this wasn't a surprise to a lot of people with connections. Not just coach. And you loose credibility with the Great 8?? What's the Great 8? You mean Elite 8?

engie
03-21-2015, 03:39 PM
I agree with Coach. If it was Scott's decision, he would have stayed one more year. It wasn't.

So, power was seized from him to decide this coach's future -- yet given right back to him with the levity to decide the next coach without even using a firm?

That doesn't pass the sniff test to me...

smootness
03-21-2015, 03:42 PM
So, power was seized from him to decide this coach's future -- yet given right back to him with the levity to decide the next coach without even using a firm?

Not to mention all the criticism about him alienating the big money guys, but now claims that the big money guys forced this move and will lead the next search.

The people without real sources make evident their baseless speculation when they throw out dumb claims driven by an unrealistic vision of what college athletics is like, 'The cigar bits will make this hire.' That's absurd and laughable.

Jacksondevildog
03-21-2015, 03:43 PM
I don't think he would come out and say, "Guys, I'm not making the hire. The big money guys and our AD are actually running the show because of how the last hire went." I think Strick wanted to stick to his word and give him one more year.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 04:21 PM

SS is not the only person making the decision on who is hired. What search firm did Kentucky use? Auburn? They went out and got the guys they wanted. SS of course has to be the guy to contact all the agents and coaches- he has to be the point man. But that final decision will come from the input of a few people- just like the decision to fire Ray

basedog
03-21-2015, 04:25 PM
I don't believe in the theory SS didn't make this call! I think he heard the masses and knew it wasn't gonna be Ray for the future and waited to see who is available and who wants to come to Msu! What was he suppose to say before he fired Ray, he handled this situation professionally and you can bet he has talked to coaches agents before making the call to fire Ray!
Only a blind man could see Ray wasn't the answer, Btw I like him as did the masses but next year we wouldn't had averaged 2,000 in attendance. It's business!

Maroons
03-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Richard Willams

You've thrown out Williams and Pelphrey????? Step away, put down the bottle, and reconsider. You're obviously not thinking clearly.

Dawgface
03-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Hiring Williams would be as shocking as RR being fired.

rabbitthedawg
03-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Disagree with you Coach. Didn't we go down the route hiring Ron Polk back and look what happened? Richard Williams has been out of coaching a long time and things have changed with these younger players. I'm with Andy Katz and think Ben Howland is someone to go after hard.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 05:20 PM
A long time? He coached at Arkansas State just a couple of years ago

smootness
03-21-2015, 05:30 PM
Richard Williams would obviously be a joke of a hire. This doesn't even deserve discussion.

shannondawg
03-21-2015, 05:34 PM
Well now I have heard it all. Hire a head coach to get a player, and one that is probably one and done.

Anyway this convinces me that man love for Richard Williams is what brought on the Stansbury hate for Coach.

Anyway, Coach hears so much, wonder if he ever hears from anyone that knows what the **** is going on?

shannondawg
03-21-2015, 05:45 PM

Thanks Engie!

People give a lot more credit to what big dogs can do than they actually can. Main thing they can do is decide what name they want on their building.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Richard Williams would obviously be a joke of a hire. This doesn't even deserve discussion.

A coach that has a Final Four on his resume is a joke hire? Not to mention he has spent this last season around the team and already knows the players?

Hire him as a 3-4 yr plan to get the program on solid ground. He would do well with this coming year's team- plus land Newman. Newman could end up being a 2-yr guy- you never know. Get Williams some recruiters on staff to make sure he can be successful. He already knows our network guys to get things in place for recruiting.

There's nothing remotely funny about hiring Williams

smootness
03-21-2015, 05:56 PM
It's a guy who hasn't been a head coach in almost two decades, spent years out of college basketball period, worked within the last 5-6 years as a volunteer, and only started coaching again 5 years ago as an assistant at Arkansas State. And when he was here, he wasn't even wildly successful. More often than not, he fielded teams that were mediocre at best.

There is plenty that is funny about that. Had he coached elsewhere with the same resume, a person would have been laughed off the board for even suggesting it. And you would have been leading that charge. Justifiably so.

But you did finally reveal what made you so anti-Stans, so there's that.

You jump on Stans for making two NCAA tournaments in 7 years and want someone who went to 3 in 12.

basedog
03-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Thanks Engie!

People give a lot more credit to what big dogs can do than they actually can. Main thing they can do is decide what name they want on their building.

You knocked it out of the park shannondawg!

shannondawg
03-21-2015, 06:31 PM
"There's nothing remotely funny about hiring Williams" and I didn't have sex with that woman, whats her name?

whosyourdawgy
03-21-2015, 06:32 PM
Since what we are hearing is being posted, I heard Strick made his mind up to make the move on the flight to NC to watch the ladies. Coach, your assertion that Stricklin was forced to fire him just doesnt hold water to me. And hiring Williams is not the answer either. He hasnt coached college basketball in forever. He knows the game and I absolutely love him on the radio helping call our games. I don't see him wanting the hustle and bustle it would take for him to be the head man again. He's got it made in retirement anyway Now the coach that we hire bringing in Horatio and Kirby would be fine with me.

Coach34
03-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Williams was coaching D-1 basketball 2 years ago. That's not "forever". It's just a suggestion and something to ponder to guarantee Newman. After hiring Rick Ray- everything needs to be looked at

Coach34
03-21-2015, 06:46 PM
And say what u want- I have it from 2 different people the decision came from above. We'll see what happens from here

coastdoglover
03-21-2015, 07:52 PM
And your so-called sources also told you we would hire Payne when we hired Ray. Hate to tell you coach, your sources suck. Doesn't matter who made this decision, all that matters is we make the right hire.

And say what u want- I have it from 2 different people the decision came from above. We'll see what happens from here

Coach34
03-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Thanks Engie!

When the money people tell the President of the University you can end up just likes Jones did- shit starts rolling downhill.

RougeDawg
03-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Re-treads rarely work.

Hiring Williams sure would make a splash, though***

Mark Gottfried disagrees.

I seen it dawg
03-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Mark Gottfried disagrees.

Lots of tread left apparently on that ole boy.

PMDawg
03-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Well now I have heard it all. Hire a head coach to get a player, and one that is probably one and done.

Anyway this convinces me that man love for Richard Williams is what brought on the Stansbury hate for Coach.

Anyway, Coach hears so much, wonder if he ever hears from anyone that knows what the **** is going on?

No

maroonmania
03-21-2015, 09:15 PM
And your so-called sources also told you we would hire Payne when we hired Ray. Hate to tell you coach, your sources suck. Doesn't matter who made this decision, all that matters is we make the right hire.

It definitely seems Coach's sources in football are much better than whatever he has for basketball. If they are the same sources they are seemingly much more plugged in for football.