PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad we are starting to raid Georgia again in football recruiting

Coach34
06-26-2013, 09:52 PM
We used to pull some hellacious players out of Georgia when Jim Tompkins coached LB's at State under Jackie recruited over there.

We've pulled a couple of high 3-star OL guys, Staley at QB, and Deshon Cooper- an OLB. The linemen look good and Staley could end up being a beast. Dont really know much about Cooper.

I'm liking this.

msstate7
06-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Wonder how much staley has helped us there. He was the first commitment out of ga

Coach34
06-26-2013, 10:16 PM
damn sure didnt hurt- and with him being full of personality, he is actively recruiting and showing some good signs of leadership. His Dad is a coach, so it's not really surprising

hailmari
06-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Whether or not he is our QB of the future, I'm liking the crap out the kid. He seems to have that charisma factor working for him.

coachcamp
06-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Whats up Fellas.. Thanks for having me on.. Also thanks for the hospitality that you all have showed my family! Cant wait to get to Starkvegas!!

CadaverDawg
06-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Welcome! Always room for another "coach" on the board.

By the way, we are extremely pumped about Elijah. I can't wait to see him develop in Starkville. He could be a great one! He seems like a great kid.

Coach34
06-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Whats up Fellas.. Thanks for having me on.. Also thanks for the hospitality that you all have showed my family! Cant wait to get to Starkvegas!!

Glad to have you on here Coach and glad to have you guys becoming part of the State family. As I said earlier, we've had some great players come out of Georgia in the past- Elijah looks like he could easily be one of the next ones

FISHDAWG
06-27-2013, 08:09 AM
welcome aboard Coach ... excited to have both of you guys ... looks like Elijah is def on board with helping our recruiting in Ga. .... question - what can you tell us about his team mate that committed recently ?

FlabLoser
06-27-2013, 09:21 AM
We love dual threat QBs. Can't wait to see Staley on the field.

And we have had a really good pipeline from GA in the past. Glad to see that cranking up again.

coachcamp
06-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys.. To answer the question. I dont really know much about Donte. We just joined that AAU team But he seems to be a good kid & he has tons of upside.

coachcamp
06-27-2013, 02:25 PM
If you guys have any questions about Elijah, feel free to ask away..

TexasDawg
06-27-2013, 03:12 PM
I think what we are starting to see here is the recruiting under Mullen is really starting to flourish. This is what he has been working on for the past 5 years. When Mullen took over the program we simply were not a team that could go out of state reel in great talent. He did it the right way, by focusing on the top talent in state and making sure we could at least split the top players in MS with TSUN. Now he has begun to make a name for himself as a HC on the recruiting trail and we are now starting to see the beginning of what hopefully is outstanding and consistent out of state recruiting.

CadaverDawg
06-27-2013, 03:20 PM

Coach, I've got one for you....

First off thanks. And my question is, what were the key factors that made Elijah choose MSU? We as fans, would love to know what kids from outside of the MSU lifelong fan base love the most about MSU.

HancockCountyDog
06-27-2013, 03:31 PM
First, Coach great to have you on here.

Second, Ive watched Elijah's basketball film and he looks great!!! And he is built like an NBA small forward already. Would you consider Elijah to be a run first QB or a pass first QB?

thanks for the reply, and if you want to reply privately, please feel free.

Once again, we are proud to have your son join the Bulldog family.

Pollodawg
06-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Thanks guys.. To answer the question. I dont really know much about Donte. We just joined that AAU team But he seems to be a good kid & he has tons of upside.

Glad to have you coach. I am excited to see Elijah suit up in Maroon and White for the dawgs. Love the way he made his announcement.

coachcamp
06-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks.. Elijah chose MSU Because of Coach ******* success with QB's. Elijah and Rick Ray had a relationship since 9th grade. Once we came down to Starkville, he fell in love. He always wanted a college town.

coachcamp
06-27-2013, 04:18 PM
@hancockcountydog.. Im trying to figure out how to respond directly to you.. lol But Elijah is a pass first Dual threat QB. He only runs when he has to. Although he is very deadly when he leave the pocket. He loves to get his team mates involved. Thats why he looks to throw FIRST. He has only been sacked 7 times in 2 Varsity seasons. He is extremly mobile. His team dont run the option a lot because if he gets hurt, The season would be over.

HancockCountyDog
06-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Coach that sounds great. He kind of looks like Tyler Russell who is our starter this year and who I expect to have a big year, even bigger than last year and get drafted. I love the idea of another QB like Russell lining up in the shotgun.

It makes sense that your team doesn't run him a bunch he looks very comfortable in the pocket and as Mullen showed last year with Russell he can tailor the offense to put up big time stats.

Thanks for the reply and good luck this season.

CadaverDawg
06-27-2013, 05:01 PM
@hancockcountydog.. Im trying to figure out how to respond directly to you.. lol.

Coach, in the bottom right corner of the post you are replying to, you can hit the "Reply with Quote" button and it will put the post you are responding to at the top of your post.

It will look like this one.

Thanks for the response....We're thrilled that Elijah fell in love with Starkville, I believe that feeling is mutual.

Dallas_Dawg
06-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Coach that sounds great. He kind of looks like Tyler Russell who is our starter this year and who I expect to have a big year, even bigger than last year and get drafted. I love the idea of another QB like Russell lining up in the shotgun.

It makes sense that your team doesn't run him a bunch he looks very comfortable in the pocket and as Mullen showed last year with Russell he can tailor the offense to put up big time stats.

Thanks for the reply and good luck this season.
He is way more mobile and athletic than Tyler

coachcamp
06-27-2013, 05:31 PM
He is way more mobile and athletic than Tyler
I think so too.. Elijah has 4.5 40 speed. We just dont have a QB coach at Wheeler. Thats why he is not as polished as some of the other top QB's, but he is not far off. It takes no time to get the tools he need to run ******* offense. And he is a fast learner.

msstate7
06-27-2013, 05:41 PM

What sport does elijah see himself playing professionally?

BeastMan
06-27-2013, 05:43 PM

I wrote how I felt about his commitment to MSU and what I thought about it on 3rdAnd57.com . In short, I feel like he is the most talented QB MSU has ever signed. How do you feel about his upside and what are the things he needs to work on the most to reach his potential as a QB?

Coach34
06-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Coach- offensively, what are you guys doing currently? I've watched highlights and see him in the Gun- are you guys in the Gun full-time or part-time? Has he played in different offenses at any point?

coachcamp
06-27-2013, 06:40 PM
What sport does elijah see himself playing professionally?
He really likes both sports. If you had asked me 4 years ago, I would have said baseball.. Thats his best sport. I think I burned him out. He would say football and so would I. Its just not a lot of QB's that are as athletic as he iswith his height. He has tons of upside in football. An 6'7 QB that has speed & arm strength is like a 7 footer with ball handling skills... RARE..

coachcamp
06-27-2013, 07:12 PM
@Beastman... I think Elijah is extremly underrated because he is not as polished as the higher ranked kids. We dont have a QB coach at Wheeler and because of basketball, he dont train as much as the others. He doe's a lot of things naturally. He needs to work on some foot work things and thats really it. His throwing motion may need tweeking a tad bit but for a 6'11 wing span, he has one of the quickest releases in his class. If We can get him to enroll early, I think he will compete for playtime right away. He weighs in at 220 as of now. he will be 225 before his high school season starts

HancockCountyDog
06-27-2013, 07:14 PM
He really likes both sports. If you had asked me 4 years ago, I would have said baseball.. Thats his best sport. I think I burned him out. He would say football and so would I. Its just not a lot of QB's that are as athletic as he iswith his height. He has tons of upside in football. An 6'7 QB that has speed & arm strength is like a 7 footer with ball handling skills... RARE..

Coach, last question at 6'7" how much does Elijah weigh?

As coach34 has said on here a lot, Mullen's offense is at its best when the QB is running the ball, so I'm just wondering what type of load SEC defenses will have to deal with.

Thanks again.

coachcamp
06-27-2013, 07:21 PM
@coach34... They go under center sometimes, but for the most part, they stay in the gun. We ran some wingT at Harrison but I transferred him. His coach now is really a wingT guy but he has done a great job at changing his offense to fit how Elijah plays.

coachcamp
06-27-2013, 07:38 PM
@Hancockcountydog He weighs in at 220. His weight goes up & down because of basketball. last year he was 220 during high school season. He will play at about 225 this year. Now last year he ran track after basketball season was over so some of the pictures you see him in, he was at about 210... When we came to Starkville in April, he weighed in at 213..

Coach34
06-27-2013, 08:06 PM
@coach34... They go under center sometimes, but for the most part, they stay in the gun. We ran some wingT at Harrison but I transferred him. His coach now is really a wingT guy but he has done a great job at changing his offense to fit how Elijah plays.

Mullen's last Wing-T QB was his best coaching job in my opinion. Mullen squeezed every bit of talent he could out of Chris Relf. The fact that Relf won football games in the SEC with skill set was amazing. If Elijah does somehow decide to enroll early to get here and learn- wow. Having Dak with his talent- plus Elijah getting experience as a Freshman in 2014 would be outstanding. Plus having a winner like Williams in that group- 2014 would likely be the best group of QB's we have ever had.

Pollodawg
06-27-2013, 08:44 PM
@Hancockcountydog He weighs in at 220. His weight goes up & down because of basketball. last year he was 220 during high school season. He will play at about 225 this year. Now last year he ran track after basketball season was over so some of the pictures you see him in, he was at about 210... When we came to Starkville in April, he weighed in at 213..

The first thing I thought when I saw him was how athletic he was at his height. Man has some monstrous athletic ability. Thanks for being so patient with us, coach. We are y'all very proud to have Elijah on board.

FlabLoser
06-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Staley's size and speed looks real similar to Matt Jones. A QB like that would really shine in Mullen's system. Jones was a pass first QB who had a heck of a set of wheels when needed. He had speed and a really long stride which made his speed deceptive. Legs didn't look like they were moving fast but he was flying down the field.

Wow now I really can't wait see him play here! He would be a real threat that keeps defenses honest.

coachcamp
06-27-2013, 11:10 PM
@pollodawg & flabloser. Thanks fellas. I really enjoy talkin with you guys and I cant wait to TAILGATE!! I think this high school season will be a close version of what you will get from Elijah once he gets to Starkville. He is extremly excited about playing for Miss St!!!

Coach34
06-27-2013, 11:14 PM
@pollodawg & flabloser. Thanks fellas. I really enjoy talkin with you guys and I cant wait to TAILGATE!! I think this high school season will be a close version of what you will get from Elijah once he gets to Starkville. He is extremly excited about playing for Miss St!!!

We do some of the best tailgating around. Look forward to you joining us

War Machine Dawg
06-28-2013, 10:56 AM
I've been saying for the last few years we needed to get back into Georgia. Some of our best players during The Kang's run were from there. There's plenty of leftover talent Jawja doesn't sign and that isn't signing with Tech. Just gotta look for it. Getting back into the Atlanta area would be HUGE.

HancockCountyDog
06-28-2013, 11:31 AM
I like the fact that we are focusing out of state this year. Personally I think the talent is down overall and except for a few studs (Graham, Green, Taylor, Jackson, Pack and Hampton) I think most of the instate talent is down.

Considering we should get half of the end talent I just listed, I think we are doing fine in-state and just need to land a few more out of state studs to finish off the class.

coachcamp
06-28-2013, 01:05 PM
@Handcockcountydog.. Its important to recruit your state FIRST.. UGA dont do that. Thats why they cant win a championship.. lol

HancockCountyDog
06-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Looks like UGA let another one slip through their fingers. We just got a commitment from Nick Fitzgerald another dual threat QB from Georiga.

I love the fact that we are loading up on QB's in this year's class and now we have two talented ones coming to campus.

I always thought Mullen's two QB system with Relf and Russell was something he should have done more, and maybe with Stanley and Fitgerald we can do that.

Coach34
06-28-2013, 03:58 PM
I understand taking another QB because we need 4 on the team- but pro-style QB do not want. I disagree with Mullen here, unless he is simply the best of the rest we can pull.

I want a group of athletic QB's than can throw and run

Raytoraid83
06-28-2013, 05:02 PM
I understand taking another QB because we need 4 on the team- but pro-style QB do not want. I disagree with Mullen here, unless he is simply the best of the rest we can pull.

I want a group of athletic QB's than can throw and run

He played WR last year, he's no staley but it's not like its russle 2.0