PDA

View Full Version : Baseball theory

CadaverDawg
03-21-2015, 09:22 AM
I feel that Cohen and Butch have felt like if they continue to get sink and ground balls out of our staff like in prior years, nobody is going to score a ton of runs against us. So Cohen thinks great D and slapping 4-5 runs across will be enough.

What they didn't plan for, was our only 2 power arms being gone (Holder, Lindgren), AND the seams that are allowing our average bullpen to get sink, would no longer allow it...now the result is a pen full of average guys and no power arms.

Result...we need more runs but have a coach that has recruited for low runs, and has forgotten how to coach without a total lock down bullpen to save his offense's ass.

This is going to take a total rebuild, and I think they realize it based on this next recruiting class. We have to have more power arms and more power bats, or we will be passed by everyone in the SEC. Luckily I THINK Cohen and Butch are willing to change, as seen by the recruiting class and by Cohen abandoning the bunt last night early. Small ball and bullpens pitching 7 shutout innings, are a thing of the past with the seam change. We have to adjust...and should have already adjusted.

Put your best run scoring potential lineup out there and roll with it.

1B Rea
2B Holland
SS Heck
3B Gridley
RF Brown
CF Robson
LF Vickerson
C Collins/Lovelady
DH Humphrey

Get Laster in the pen as first relief, and move Preston to Sunday. Ross and Fitts midweek.

I may be way off base. Thoughts?

msstate7
03-21-2015, 09:23 AM
My thoughts? I'm glad you're alive!

Drugdog
03-21-2015, 09:25 AM
I really like the optimism. I really hope your right.
Next years class is bigger and stronger than we are accustomed.

Question: isn't the only reason we didn't bunt is being down 7-1,8-2?

I seen it dawg
03-21-2015, 09:27 AM

We had opportunities the first 2 innings to bunt and never squared around.

msstate7
03-21-2015, 09:28 AM

1sr inning we had 1st and 2nd with no outs. We let rooker swing away. Right decision, but wrong guy hitting 3rd

Realist
03-21-2015, 09:31 AM
When does "next year" get here? It's always next year's class ......

engie
03-21-2015, 10:04 AM
When does "next year" get here? It's always next year's class ......

The last "next year" for most of us was in 2012 with the injuries, youth, and what we were bringing back. You forgot about how 2013 went huh?

Most of us always felt this would be a transition year. Doesn't take but one glance at the the classifications next to the names in our lineup to understand why we thought that. The start being so good is why people are taking the struggles now so rough. People had started to buy in to this team being better than most of us thought it was supposed to be(I'm guilty of that myself -- but I also recognize what happened there)...

2016(next year) is the next 2013. We only lose a couple contributors on this squad, and the vast majority of our talent is young. The freshman class coming in is the best class MSU has had since 1994, if not ever, if it doesn't get decimated by the draft. And the "other" best class of the Cohen era will be JRs.

Cadaver is right. Cohen was telling people 2 years ago that he wished they would hold off on the new balls for 3 years and allow him to recruit to them. He said at the time that he would have to rebuild his roster to adjust to it(my buddy he was talking to thought it was pretty crazy -- but the team he coaches for was still recruiting the long ball pretty well. This is the same guy Cohen was telling about wanting to turf our whole infield to play to our speed).

The ball change been a little more drastic of a change than we had hoped, but the major change seems to be coming on the hill. I sure thought we would be hitting for more power by now too...

CadaverDawg
03-21-2015, 10:07 AM
My thoughts? I'm glad you're alive!

Haha, you too brother.