PDA

View Full Version : Dan Jones fired by Ole Miss

Todd4State
03-20-2015, 09:53 PM
OK, technically "contract not renewed by the IHL".

For MSU- good or bad? I figure Ole Miss wants someone like Khayat that will let the football program run rogue and promote and keep their "traditions" alive. Either that or a puppet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fred Smith, Sean Tuohy, Archie, and Walker Jones mentioned as replacements.

BulldogBear
03-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Timing seems strange unless I'm missing something. Is there smoke here?

curmudgeon
03-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Some idiot mentioned Condi Rice.

In all seriousness, he was a good one. He didn't play nice with Jackson and was leading Ole Miss into a future that some did not want to follow. He and Phil Bryant apparently did not see eye to eye, either. A couple years ago, he pissed off the MUW president. The MUW president just became Chairman of the IHL. Jones has been fighting cancer for some time, he got a clean bill of health just days ago.

curmudgeon
03-20-2015, 10:16 PM
Timing seems strange unless I'm missing something. Is there smoke here?

No smoke. Just Mississippi politics at its finest. If they hire a good ol boy, it will be good for MSU. Jones had them halfway to truly becoming the Mississippi Black Bears.

Liverpooldawg
03-20-2015, 10:35 PM
They had had enough of the assault on the Old South. Getting rid of him helps us by hurting them.

Todd4State
03-20-2015, 10:39 PM
Some idiot mentioned Condi Rice.

In all seriousness, he was a good one. He didn't play nice with Jackson and was leading Ole Miss into a future that some did not want to follow. He and Phil Bryant apparently did not see eye to eye, either. A couple years ago, he pissed off the MUW president. The MUW president just became Chairman of the IHL. Jones has been fighting cancer for some time, he got a clean bill of health just days ago.

They also claimed that UMC was poorly run- and it is. Not sure why Jones was to blame for that unless they are referring to the academic only side or he has more control over the hospital side than I realized.

Todd4State
03-20-2015, 10:40 PM
No smoke. Just Mississippi politics at its finest. If they hire a good ol boy, it will be good for MSU. Jones had them halfway to truly becoming the Mississippi Black Bears.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it will be a good ol boy- but the question is going to be who that good ol boy is.

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 10:44 PM
They had had enough of the assault on the Old South. Getting rid of him helps us by hurting them.

But it hurts MS (i.e., all of us) by perpetuating a shitty image.

Thrill1
03-20-2015, 10:47 PM
They also claimed that UMC was poorly run- and it is. Not sure why Jones was to blame for that unless they are referring to the academic only side or he has more control over the hospital side than I realized.

Jones used to run UMC before becoming chancellor.

BeardoMSU
03-20-2015, 10:51 PM
This transcends sports, guys. OM getting away from the "plantation", old south, confederate, etc. image is good for all of us who call MS home.

This action is a classic example demonstrating how far our state has to go regarding these issues. Mississippi cronyism.

FYI, these are the same kind of people who brought a referendum to create a Nathan Bedford Forrest commemorative license plate. Sickening.

Todd4State
03-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Jones used to run UMC before becoming chancellor.

Yes. I was there when he was chancellor and he was actually the dean of the School of Health Related Professions on an interim basis when I was a student there. But I assumed that they were talking about UMC being poorly run currently rather than when he was the Chancellor. Reason being they apparently the IHL audited UMC.

Liverpooldawg
03-20-2015, 10:56 PM
This transcends sports, guys. OM getting away from the "plantation", old south, confederate, etc. image is good for all of us who call MS home.

This action is a classic example demonstrating how far our state has to go regarding these issues. Mississippi cronyism.

FYI, these are the same kind of people who brought a referendum to create a Nathan Bedford Forrest commemorative license plate. Sickening.

It hastens the day that what MSU stands for takes the lead in directing this state. What they stand for has run it for far too long and they will never really change.

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-21-2015, 12:16 AM
Wasn't an MSU grad just named the head of Med Center?

Todd4State
03-21-2015, 12:23 AM
Wasn't an MSU grad just named the head of Med Center?

Are you talking about the CEO or the Chancellor? I'm pretty sure the CEO is not a MSU grad.

Dash Riprock
03-21-2015, 07:33 AM
Yes, the new head of UMMC (I think her title is Vice Chancellor), Dr. LouAnn Woodward, did her undergrad at MSU and the new CFO for UMMC is also a MSU grad. Things might get better there after all...

Op4isabitch
03-21-2015, 10:08 AM
OK, technically "contract not renewed by the IHL".

For MSU- good or bad? I figure Ole Miss wants someone like Khayat that will let the football program run rogue and promote and keep their "traditions" alive. Either that or a puppet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fred Smith, Sean Tuohy, Archie, and Walker Jones mentioned as replacements.

Fred Smith has no real interest in Ole Miss despite all of the blah blah from the U.M folks.
The connection between FedEx and Ole Miss is Mike Glenn and Mike Ducker.

If Fred decides to retire or step down as CEO and Chairman of FedEx then he may dabble in politics.

KB21
03-21-2015, 12:19 PM
Yes. I was there when he was chancellor and he was actually the dean of the School of Health Related Professions on an interim basis when I was a student there. But I assumed that they were talking about UMC being poorly run currently rather than when he was the Chancellor. Reason being they apparently the IHL audited UMC.

There was a reason I did not attend Medical School in Jackson at UMC.